2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies FS | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies FS

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Imo Sofia deserved to be 3rd here...
Alisa will most likely be replaced in Germany.
Also, atm Tsurskaya is scheduled to three events, so one of her spots will go to either Lozko, Samodurova or Konstantinova ...

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
She was and then was replaced by Gubanova there.

She is currently assigned to 3 events(which is impossible) :Russia, Slovenia and Germany.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Either Lozko(3rd place in first event), Samodurova(4th) or Konstantinova (yet to skate at Saransk) or some other girl like Panenkova or Kurakova who can score high

lady_bee

Medalist
I think ISU should've stop streaming before Ted starts interviewing Marin:noshake:.
I know she is a star, but feel sorry for Kaori:(

sneakers

Match Penalty
Imo Sofia deserved to be 3rd here...
Alisa will most likely be replaced in Germany.
Also, atm Tsurskaya is scheduled to three events, so one of her spots will go to either Lozko, Samodurova or Konstantinova ...

Sofia was screwed over but yeah a Japan sweep was always possible just as a russian sweep in Saransk. :dev2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaori and Mako's programs are 'basic' and but I really enjoyed their determination to get their elements done right. Also, they've got good speed and SS to build presentation on in coming seasons. Maybe Akiko will help them out a bit.

I wasn't implying basic to mean anything negative or insulting but relative to the complexity of the competitors tonight the final group started off with fire breathers going for broke and ended with a gentle breeze. Maybe a better way to say it is that Kaori and Mako sort of stayed in the same dimension throughout their skates and they were pretty similar to each other maybe.

Surprisingly the judges didn't ding Sofia on TES which is what I thought would have buried her but instead her PCS is what did her in. In fact during her first spin which seemed to wobble and stray from home I remember saying..."ohh...settle that thing" It is a bit odd when looking at the actual ink on the paper because I thought her performance was second only to Marin who was on a whole different level than everyone else.

So yes...I thought Sofia was a bit under appreciated tonight in the protocols where as I wouldn't score Kaori anywhere near Marin in PCS. What's funny is I would have probably dinged Sofia's TES and awarded her PCS and got the same result :laugh:

On a positive note....Marin was amazing and that RnJ is just so good. Glad she fought back!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The placement is right, but Alisa was really lowballed in her PCS although I don't like her FS. I think if her program were The Umbrellas of Cherbourg instead of Singing in the Rain, one of male skaters' warhorse pieces, that would be more fit for her. On the other hand, I felt so bored with Mako's skates both in SP and FS..I don't remember what music she skated to..she just skated through the music though. She needs to establish her own character.

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Marin was so solid overall. The choreo was generic, but she sold it well. I'm a little worried for her because she's quite emotional and inconsistent.... She needs to work on her mental strength.

randomfan

Record Breaker
nobody's tano looks good except medvedeva's. she does something to make it beautiful. other girls just put their arm overhead. some tano's are outright ugly

To be really honest, Medvedeva's tanos don't look that great either...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The arm above the head is here to stay. Even girls in the very first group were doing it. I half expected the girl from India to attempt one. ;)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
However I wish tano is just entriely retired from the whole competition except that Brian Boitano presents it in an ice show.

I can't stand the crooked arm over one's head any more. Rippons are way more hip now. :)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
The placement is right, but Alisa was really lowballed in her PCS although I don't like her FS. I think if her program were The Umbrellas of Cherbourg instead of Singing in the Rain, one of male skaters' warhorse pieces, that would be more fit for her. On the other hand, I felt so bored with Mako's skates both in SP and FS..I don't remember what music she skated to..she just skated through the music though. She needs to establish her own character.

agree with placement too. I personally did not enjoy Alisa's programs, and I didn't enjoy them last year either :( I did not see her do justice to any character in Singing in the Rain....maybe she should have worn yellow raincoat like the movie and I didn't see her dancing or singing in the rain, just didn't see it, the black with clear plastic is just all wrong too, didn't think she should have scored any higher in PCS.....I don't think she improved from last season, unfortunately, but best of luck to her.

I agree....I didn't enjoy Mako's sp or lp, neither in music or interpretation....third place for me was between mako and sofia, so it could have gone to Sofia but I think mako was better technically with smoother landings.....with sofia, although I enjoyed her short program, I really did not enjoy her lp, but thought it was no better than mako's lp.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
However I wish tano is just entriely retired from the whole competition except that Brian Boitano presents it in an ice show.

I can't stand the crooked arm over one's head any more. Rippons are way more hip now. :)

Crossover, I completely agree. I think it looks ugly. Don't know why they reward ugly positions, it doesn't even seem much harder than just doing the regular jump. But I've seen some skaters use two arched hands up and it doesn't look bad, is that the same as tano, lol.........for example, I saw Kaitlyn Nguyen use two hands on a double toe jump, and it looked pretty. But I just hate that one hand helicopter mess.

hugo

On the Ice
Samodurova was robbed of the bronze... This is the lesson for RusFed: don't send to Japan good skaters !

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Marin was so solid overall. The choreo was generic, but she sold it well. I'm a little worried for her because she's quite emotional and inconsistent.... She needs to work on her mental strength.

Marin is very pretty. She can be a movie star with that face and smile. But when skating, sometimes she poses too much, and for me, that takes away from her overall performance....she is a good jumper, with smooth landings, reminds me of the soft caressing landings of Shizuka arakawa, and good skating skills, but when she skates, I don't feel moved. She has lovely arms though, kind of resembles Mao.

randomfan

Record Breaker
What an exciting event this was! A bit of an unexpected podium, great comebacks, new talent, whole country sweep...

1. Kaori Sakamoto: I'm so happy for her. I'm not a fan of her SP but I like her FS, and it's great to see that she nailed both of them (except the stepout but whatever). The best thing here is that last year she missed the GPF by one spot but now she will most likely be going to the final! Great job!
2. Marin Honda: While I like her SP much better (her FS is a "..." to me :slink:), it was sad to see her struggle. I think the intense pressure got to her. But her comeback in the FS was outstanding. Her jumps are so good and her skating skills are nice as well. The score was a bit too high though but regardless I'm glad that she got onto the podium. :clap:
3. Mako Yamashita: Nice performances from Mako as well. I like her FS music but she does lack a bit in musicality. Her jumps were good though and I think this was a great start for Mako.
4. Sofia Samodurova: While I enjoyed Mako, I think Sofia did have a case for bronze. Her performances were also great. She is definitely someone to look out for.
5. Ye Lim Kim: Much better FS than at her previous event. Still skating cold but that will change over time. She has lots of potential, and though she will almost certainly not be going to the GPF, I hope she takes the time to prepare well for her future competitions.
6. Alisa Fedichkina: Did she get a bit slower? Her SP in particular felt a bit slow to me. I really liked watching Alisa last year (her SP was one of my favourites). But this year it seems that she is struggling with her jumps. Regardless of that though she deserved higher PCS for both segments (especially the FS) - Alisa is a lovely performer but they sadly lowballed her here.

Also big cheers to the classy audience for being supportive and bright throughout the event! :cheer:

Last edited: