2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My goodness, for Rohene that outfit practically qualifies as Bank Vice President.

The USFSA made the right decision. They sent the right two men.

Oh if only Jason had quads. That was one beautiful 3A.

This whole Men's SP Event was one of the best I've ever seen. Just one big wow after another after another.

Well it depends on what you consider is right. Right for olympic spots probably not from a social justice perspective but such is life. Brown was going to get the judges favour and he did. If they wanted too they could have buried him and in fact to be consisent with Chen they should have sewered him pcs as it appears you do quads you get pcs. Looks like the American men are much loved by the judges. Woohoo!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I used to have a lot of issue with the performance aspect and skating basics of the Chinese skaters. I thought Chen Lu was only okay and the early S/Z positively wooden. But this kid Boyang surprised me with a program the style of which I normally wouldn't enjoy. I got the impression that his fun with this program, goofy or not, is much more genuine than the retro faux-goofiness than say S/M skated with in their SP or T/M in theirs. The shoulder shimmie looks a tiny bit cringy to me but I thought overall there was clear intention behind every move, and he's really enjoying it out there. The speed with which he flies across the ice only added to the overall buoyant mood. It's really just a very fitting interpretation to me. I smiled only because I saw that he was having fun and that his moves made on-the-nose references to a figure in pop culture. This feels like a sparkling, contemporary and youthful routine.

Totally agree with you about Boyang. He embraces the dorkyness of his choreo and sells it 100% It suits him so well. His SP is one of the my favorites this season and I'm thrilled he did it clean here.
I'm sad about Yuzu's mistakes in the SP because he's my absolute favorite. But actually, the performance here was also very, very good. Enjoyable, and high quality elements deserving of and getting almost maximum GOEs except the 4S, but he fought for it with all his might. Others happened to be better on the night, putting him in a shocking 5th place. But he's been known to fight back from some pretty steep deficits before. From 7th, to 3rd, from 11th to 4th at previous World Championships. He may surprise us again.
The whole SP was glorious in terms of clean elements and engaging programs. Good luck to everyone in the Free skate. I'll be groggy, half drunk, and watching with my family.

jaylee

Medalist
I used to have a lot of issue with the performance aspect and skating basics of the Chinese skaters. I thought Chen Lu was only okay and the early S/Z positively wooden. But this kid Boyang surprised me with a program the style of which I normally wouldn't enjoy. I got the impression that his fun with this program, goofy or not, is much more genuine than the retro faux-goofiness than say S/M skated with in their SP or T/M in theirs. The shoulder shimmie looks a tiny bit cringy to me but I thought overall there was clear intention behind every move, and he's really enjoying it out there. The speed with which he flies across the ice only added to the overall buoyant mood. It's really just a very fitting interpretation to me. I smiled only because I saw that he was having fun and that his moves made on-the-nose references to a figure in pop culture. This feels like a sparkling, contemporary and youthful routine.

Fair enough. I'm not sure there was equally clear intention behind every move, but overall, I see your points.

Oh why be such a spoilsport? Sometimes I want to eat haute cuisine, and sometimes I want to eat potato chips. It's like the Rockettes--they know they're kitschy as all git out and what they do they do very very well. Jin's program is a big bag of potato chips and I enjoyed it thoroughly and thought the score was fair.

But hey, de gustibus non est diputandum.

I'm entitled to have a different assessment. We don't all have to enjoy the big bag of potato chips equally.

Look, I survived/experienced William Hung, and his American Idol audition and subsequent performances were memorable for all the wrong reasons. People were laughing AT him, not with him, and even worse, he seemed to not be in on the joke. So yeah, there's actually documented history of awkward, gawky Asians who are going ALL OUT with effort and performance but clearly lacking in artistry who are being laughed AT by Westerners. You'll excuse me if I don't laugh as hard as everybody else.

Is Boyang Jin's performance the skating equivalent of William Hung's? Absolutely not. It was really skated and performed quite well, and quite enjoyable overall. No problem with that. I expressed just a TINY bit of discomfort--literally, my words were, "slightest bit of discomfort", and voiced a few questions on my mind. Bcash had a different perspective / experience and I appreciated that.

This is a forum and people are not required to agree on anything, though on occasion it seems like if you have an opinion that is different from the mainstream, someone will come after you with a flyswatter to try and squash disagreement out of you.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just wanted to say I totally agree with you. Sometimes I feel a bit bullied or like the minority. And I admit sometimes I feel like it is only right to stand up for the underdogs or the "hated" because really I sense it isn't always logical the hate on this forum or rather it is not criticism but hate.

To be clear I think Nathan is a brilliant skater and more specifically jumper but the PCS are ridiculous. And if he improves the odds are he objectively is not or will not be better than Chan or should not be seen as in the same league - but where are the judges going to go. Chan is already near perfect (even underscored here) and Chen's scores aren't that far away with tonnes of improvement. And yes Nathan has difficult jumps but he does not have the flow, carriage and such so his pcs are affected there too or should be and not simply positive because he landed a quad and it is a hard jump

As for Jason Well I do think he is a lovely skater pc wise but his jumps are good but not that powerful.

I realize Chan and Fernandez had different styles here but really chan is sublime. He is like artistic masterpiece - his pcs should be way higher than Fernandez. I note in performance and chore Javi was higher - totally unwarrantd but look at the diference in performance for Javi v. Chan if that is the case then Chan should score a whole point at least higher than Javi for SS.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well it depends on what you consider is right. Right for olympic spots probably not from a social justice perspective but such is life. Brown was going to get the judges favour and he did. If they wanted too they could have buried him and in fact to be consisent with Chen they should have sewered him pcs as it appears you do quads you get pcs. Looks like the American men are much loved by the judges. Woohoo!

Man, do I have to say this again? :palmf: I will as many times as necessary.

Jason "was going" to get the judge's "favour" makes it sound as if Jason did not earn his points. Jason earned every single GOE and PCS score with masterful skating, skills and performance. The judges could not have "buried" him based on his performance, because his performance did not deserve to be "buried".

Here, in this instance, the judges got it right:hap10:

Bcash

Final Flight
Re your comment about his arms/por de bras. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. He gets it but just doesn't sustain throughout the program but I do see evidence of his ballet training and Marina's making use of it.

I noticed that his toes are better pointed than most other men.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Watched this on Tv tonight. I thought the results (at least of the programs they showed) was fair and correct. I thought Javi was the best and I was happy for Shoma and sad for Yuzuru. Patrick was lovely, just lovely. I hope he can hold it together for the long. It seemed like a well skated event.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I thought I had it recorded on NBC sports and they switched the schedule and showed pairs twice, so I didn't have it. Then I got on ice network and it wasn't there either so I looked at the results. WHAT HAPPENED TO NATHAN AND HANYU! What happened to my favorites, I can't see it because youtube has it blocked too! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm on the Bandwagon of 'Hooray for Jason!'
I believe that PCS should be scored for what it says in the rule book. Jason has the qualities that deserve high PCS scores especially when he skates clean. -I just wish it would be applied consistently so that more skaters like Jason could depend upon the judges acknowledging their skills without the presence of a quad to 'beef up' that PCS aura. :biggrin:
On the whole, I'm happy with the Judging for the SP. The standings look good to me. Perhaps Nathan was scored generously in PCS but I've thought so all season, nothing new here. The judges and I have a difference of opinion on his skating skills, transitions, and interpretation.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I thought I had it recorded on NBC sports and they switched the schedule and showed pairs twice, so I didn't have it. Then I got on ice network and it wasn't there either so I looked at the results. WHAT HAPPENED TO NATHAN AND HANYU! What happened to my favorites, I can't see it because youtube has it blocked too! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They did not do badly at all. Yuzu especially had a strong performance and was engaging and all his other elements were A+ but he had a costly mistake in his combo.
Nathan fell on his 3A.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That is called record labels and big companies whining to their mommy and daddy like spoiled and bratty 5 year-old who hate sharing.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm beyond thrilled at how well Patrick Chan skated. But as much as I always want him to win everything, I sincerely hope he doesn't pull an upset and become world champion again. Because that has been the kiss of death for the Canadian men at the Olympics since the beginning of time. They go in world champs and come out....not Olympic champs. So go Patrick - win a medal - but not gold - it's a jinx!

Fernandez seems to have mastered the art of coming up with a big performance when it really matters. Last year and now this year. Never count him out.

Bcash

Final Flight
I'm sad about Yuzu's mistakes in the SP because he's my absolute favorite. But actually, the performance here was also very, very good. Enjoyable, and high quality elements deserving of and getting almost maximum GOEs except the 4S, but he fought for it with all his might. Others happened to be better on the night, putting him in a shocking 5th place. But he's been known to fight back from some pretty steep deficits before. From 7th, to 3rd, from 11th to 4th at previous World Championships. He may surprise us again.
The whole SP was glorious in terms of clean elements and engaging programs. Good luck to everyone in the Free skate. I'll be groggy, half drunk, and watching with my family.

Hanyu's SP is definitely in a performance style he can excel in, I don't see why some people are arguing the opposite. And he did perform the hell out of it in this competition, confident and secure, everything except for the 4S combo was the sharpest he has done all season.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, this is probably the most competitive men's SP we have EVER seen. Like the top 9 have 90+ points and the top 3 have 100+ points. I'm not placing any bets on if any of the top 3 will get medals after Saturday. This is going to be CLOSE.

Bcash

Final Flight
That is called record labels and big companies whining to their mommy and daddy like spoiled and bratty 5 year-old who hate sharing.

I'm surprised with the copyright related blocking thing this time. I don't remember vids of major competitions being pulled off youtube in the past.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A lot of discontent regarding Nathan but I'm actually the least pleased with Javi's PCS. I don't think his skate was superior to Patrick's in components and they've given him an unnecessarily large lead.

Yeah it was a bit of a roller coaster towards the end but he held it together. He also had a stumble and yet his PCS was a personal best by almost a point. Definitely deserves the lead but he was over scored just a tad.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I was a bit upset that they changed the schedule. All the NBCSN broadcasts had labels last week, now they do not and NBC main is broadcasting in primetime, that network is pretty annoying. I don't know why I paid for an ice network subscription either at this point if none of the short program videos are available.