2017 CS Finlandia Mens FS | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Mens FS

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say, between this and Japan Open, it doesn't exactly bode well for a great Men's FS at the Olympics.

Why do you say that? It's early October these skaters with the difficulty they are doing with all the quads and new programs are not going to be coming out and doing 5 clean quad LP's. Better now that they struggle then at the Olympics.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
You know the old saying, if you try to please everyone you wind up not truly pleasing anyone?

Mr Jin, that program is incoherent, scattershot, and above all random. Lori Nichol, shame on you.

A 20s-esque interlude that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever shoved randomly into the usual overproduced movie soundtrack program?

Oy. Oy. Oy.

Couldn't agree more. I thought the same when I first saw it but figured maybe the iffy camera/major mistakes thew me off. But nope. The same impression now, perhaps even worse in some ways.

Lori really, really did him a major disservice and in an Olympic year too.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
The oval should be grey with the circle on the right. No reason why the chat won't stop showing. :shrug:

The oval did indeed become gray, to no effect. But never mind. One idiot spammed the chat so badly with his overlaid signs that it broke my stream! The mod finally kicked him. :laugh:

viennaskater

Medalist
This is only one of the many competitions happening at the moment. At Nebelhorn last week I was blown away by some of the performances. It's still early days. And there's the Grand Prix series coming up!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
As I said - it is part of the Star Wars soundtrack!!

People tend to forget that Star Wars is indeed cheesy and sometimes tacky. *lol* That said, I think this part was the best part as it shows Showman Boyang and audience interaction. *sigh* I'm not sure, I think Boyang can medal with these programs, but he has to land all of his jumps. Last years programs were stronger, imho.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Why do you say that? It's early October these skaters with the difficulty they are doing with all the quads and new programs are not going to be coming out and doing 5 clean quad LP's. Better now that they struggle then at the Olympics.

Exactly. And Boyang didn't even make the GPF last season. It's WAY to early to predict a Splatfest ála Sochi.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
As I said - it is part of the Star Wars soundtrack!!

There are tons of majestic music from the ost to choose from, particularly these ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4QqW-yc1yQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exu4QC2sqbY

You don't pick one of the most iconic epic cinematic OST of all time, and use the weirdest side kick music as your center piece for the Olympics. It sound like some 1920s jazz club in new york while Chaplin just walked in with his bowl hat, walking stick having a laugh with his silent girlfriend (with cue cards that reads hahaha). weird...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You know the old saying, if you try to please everyone you wind up not truly pleasing anyone?

Mr Jin, that program is incoherent, scattershot, and above all random. Lori Nichol, shame on you.

A 20s-esque interlude that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever shoved randomly into the usual overproduced movie soundtrack program?

Oy. Oy. Oy.

Is this what you are referring to?

https://youtu.be/Kh7VnFxoxS8?t=128

Because that is from Star Wars. It is playing in the bar where Luck and Han Solo meet for the first time... the "Han shot first" scene if that is any reference point. It is recognizable to nerd fandom... I actually cheered a bit when i heard it come on. It make sense from a fan service stand point.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Boyang's programs making absolutely zero sense is one of the few constants in the erratic world of men's figure skating. It's something you need to embrace :cheer:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But it's just so incongruous in the middle of the somber pieces of music. Especially the way they edited the FS. :(

Yeah that part seems so out of place. Really the only thing I don't like about the program.

bixby

Final Flight
Watching Nathan, Boyang & Vincent emerged as being the standard NOW, I feel like a clean skate from Adam, Jason and Ross just won't cut it; like it belongs from another era.

pearly

Record Breaker
Yep, a 3Lz would have been a wiser choice for Adam today. But no point in that discussion.

Is anyone tuning in for the synchro competition?

Kutien

Final Flight
NameSPFS
1Boyang JIN CHN252.6023video
2Vincent ZHOU USA250.0161video
3Adam RIPPON USA249.8832video
4Mikhail KOLYADA RUS248.5015video
5Ross MINER USA233.7274video
6Michal BREZINA CZE233.2856video
7Paul FENTZ GER212.16410video
8Andrei LAZUKIN RUS210.6687video
9Alexander PETROV RUS198.57118video
10Roman SADOVSKY CAN194.17129video
11Kevin REYNOLDS CAN186.361011video
12Valtter VIRTANEN FIN175.951312video
13Tangxu LI CHN173.60913video
14Samuel KOPPEL EST152.831414video
15Anton KARPUK BLR148.321615video
16Bela PAPP FIN148.191516video
17Nicola TODESCHINI SUI141.901717video
18Daniel Albert NAURITS EST137.521818video

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was a big competition for Vincent to medal in if the USFS is going to go by the whole season he just showed he can compete with the big boys and get on the podium even with some mistakes. If he goes clean or nearly clean at Nationals he's going to South Korea he just has to much potential to leave off the team.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Is this what you are referring to?

https://youtu.be/Kh7VnFxoxS8?t=128

Because that is from Star Wars. It is playing in the bar where Luck and Han Solo meet for the first time... the "Han shot first" scene if that is any reference point. It is recognizable to nerd fandom... I actually cheered a bit when i heard it come on. It make sense from a fan service stand point.

Uhh so he got possessed by the spirit of Chewbacca at that moment, then spirited back to being Luke Skywalker immediately after?

WTH... why did they consult with Ilia Averbukh?