2017 CS Finlandia Mens FS | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Mens FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This was a big competition for Vincent to medal in if the USFS is going to go by the whole season he just showed he can compete with the big boys and get on the podium even with some mistakes. If he goes clean or nearly clean at Nationals he's going to South Korea he just has to much potential to leave off the team.

I say good for him for the comeback and winning the FS (and medaling), but he was sixth in the SP behind a bunch of people who he should have beat easily (which he did today).

His total score is actually fourth among the US men at the moment. And yes early days, but that's the case for everyone.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This was a big competition for Vincent to medal in if the USFS is going to go by the whole season he just showed he can compete with the big boys and get on the podium even with some mistakes. If he goes clean or nearly clean at Nationals he's going to South Korea he just has to much potential to leave off the team.

I agree. The men we send have GOT to have quads if they hope to medal at the games. I love Adams programs and IF....he can land a couple of quad combo's, I think he should make the team. At this point, I think I'd still send Max but, it's still too soon to make a good prediction.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I say good for him for the comeback and winning the FS, but he was sixth in the SP behind a bunch of people who he should have beat easily (which he did today).

His total score is actually fourth among the US men at the moment.

Actually if Vincent got his URs called, which he didn't, we'd see what his score would actually be.

Which is unfair not only to Adam, but all men. Of course, I'm aware that he won't get those calls at US Nats either and the USFSA is strong enough that we see the result of that but you know ...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Is this what you are referring to?

https://youtu.be/Kh7VnFxoxS8?t=128

Because that is from Star Wars. It is playing in the bar where Luck and Han Solo meet for the first time... the "Han shot first" scene if that is any reference point. It is recognizable to nerd fandom... I actually cheered a bit when i heard it come on. It make sense from a fan service stand point.

What can make sense in a movie, where the music is part of an entire scene and scenario, is not necessarily going to make sense in a skating program. Here it makes no sense. It looks thrown in so Jin can mug and be cute and play to the judges (which yes, he does very well). Like I said, that program is trying to be All Things to All People and it wound up being an incoherent mess.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Really no point because Adam can't do another 3Lz. He already maxxed out his triples.

Agreed. At the end of the day, based on the protocols, it came down to an underrotation call on his 'tano 3lutz at the end. Sooooo close.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually if Vincent got his URs called, which he didn't, we'd see what his score would actually be.

Which is unfair not only to Adam, but all men. Of course, I'm aware that he won't get those calls at US Nats either and the USFSA is strong enough that we see the result of that but you know ...

I won't go into that, but my main points is that he is not a lock for the Olympic team cause he attempts and lands lots of quads. Certainly it ups his odds of a big score, but There are other aspects of the score.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
As I said - it is part of the Star Wars soundtrack!!

Except he adapted Holst's Planet: Mars as his intro, which is not part of the ost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk5frp6-3Q

Which is why immediately after that Darth Vader breathing sounds (Rather Medvedeva/Ilia Averbukh) the first music he adapted from the OST was from the jokey clown music would be considered as poor transitioning choices. (basically the most unstar wars music you can find on the whole ost)

Although John Williams was heavily influenced by Holst's Planet, I don't think it is ever his intention to tag it to some random big band music that has only a small bit part to play in the overall epic OST in showcasing Holst's overall influences.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Uhh so he got possessed by the spirit of Chewbacca at that moment, then spirited back to being Luke Skywalker immediately after?

WTH... why did they consult with Ilia Averbukh?

This honestly made me laugh out loud. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Except he adapted Holst's Planet: Mars as his intro, which is not part of the ost.

Which is why immediately after that Darth Vader breathing sounds (Rather Medvedeva/Ilia Averbukh) the first OST music he adapted from the OST was from the jokey clown music would be considered as poor transitioning choices.

Although John Williams was heavily influence by Holst's Planet, I don't think it is ever his intention to tag it to some random big band music that is only a bit part in the over epic OST in showcasing Holst's overall influences.

Well at least we have his lovely SP.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How can russia ever fix its men’s problems!!

Their Men are already improving. They are doing well on the Junior Circuit and I think they'll be back soon. The difference now is that other countries are starting to catch up to them. Other than Max, the US didn't have a jumper who could keep up with the top men technically. Jason has placed fourth at big events a couple of times without a quad but I think those days are over.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
OS, Lori choreoed Team China's 3 pairs and Boyang's both SP and FS and zijun's, Han Yan's as well. All of the choreo that involved music editing (not just a single song)has embarrassing music editing issue. Even Chinese fans has to admit that...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
OS, Lori choreoed Team China's 3 pairs and Boyang's both SP and FS and zijun's, Han Yan's as well. All of the choreo that involved music editing (not just a single song)has embarrassing music editing issue. Even Chinese fans has to admit that...

The SP has a great concept (I would add more unique martial arts/ wushu moves to the final step sequence rather than rely on generic skating choreograph moves), but the choreography doesn't quite gel with the music edit mid section.

This is soo bad, I am depressed for him. They can still save it though... re edit the music. This is Star wars! Perfect for the Olympics audience. As it is, it will only leave most people confused, luke warm wondering if something had got lost in the translation. Frankly as a Star war fan I feel a bit offended, it is like butchering up what should be fantastic into Episode 1 JarJarBings show karaoke with subtitles. JUST NOOOOo....

Please rewatch Satoko's program, come on Boyang Jin you can do so much better!!

bixby

Final Flight

Adam can't even land a QUAD! That's my biggest disappointment with him. He can be clean and gets all the help on PC's but he's just past his prime in my book. He even look scary on those triple axel at times and no where near consistent at all.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Their Men are already improving. They are doing well on the Junior Circuit and I think they'll be back soon. The difference now is that other countries are starting to catch up to them. Other than Max, the US didn't have a jumper who could keep up with the top men technically. Jason has placed fourth at big events a couple of times without a quad but I think those days are over.

Unfortunately the good junior men are like the good junior ice dancers. Transferring to seniors goes so so bad.

Sending them in Siberia for some time:biggrin::shocked::hap85:
Siberia or North America

icybear

Medalist

Which is why immediately after that Darth Vader breathing sounds (Rather Medvedeva/Ilia Averbukh) the first music he adapted from the OST was from the jokey clown music would be considered as poor transitioning choices. (basically the most unstar wars music you can find on the whole ost)

Although John Williams was heavily influenced by Holst's Planet, I don't think it is ever his intention to tag it to some random big band music that has only a small bit part to play in the overall epic OST in showcasing Holst's overall influences.

Most fs fans are unlikely to be star wars fans so most people won't be bothered about all that trivial stuff.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
The SP has a great concept (I would add more unique martial arts/ wushu moves to the final step sequence rather than rely on generic skating choreograph moves), but the choreography doesn't quite gel with the music edit mid section.

This is soo bad, I am depressed for him. They can still save it though... re edit the music. This is Star wars! Perfect for the Olympics audience. As it is, it will only leave most people confused, luke warm wondering if something had got lost in the translation. Frankly as a Star war fan I feel a bit offended, it is like butchering up what should be fantastic into Episode 1 JarJarBings show karaoke with subtitles. JUST NOOOOo....

Please rewatch Satoko's program, come on Boyang Jin you can do so much better!!

The SP, Boyang's stsq indeed didnot match with music at this outing, it is his performance issue. he can polish up and fix it. but I personally think the sudden transition into fast tempo music at the last jumping pass before stsq is weird. And also some Chinese fans like you suggested to add more Chinese martial art related gesture/symbol/flourish. I think those details can be fixed as the season goes on.
The LP, IIRC, some Chinese fan has expressed exactly the same sentiment as you wrote here. Don't think they will change the music edit.... the most they can do is to polish his performance.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I won't go into that, but my main points is that he is not a lock for the Olympic team cause he attempts and lands lots of quads. Certainly it ups his odds of a big score, but There are other aspects of the score.

Well he's a lock because his PCS will rise and his URs will be ignored. But that's kind of the problem I'm talking about. If his URs were called, then people like Adam, especially if he can land his one quad can hope to bridge the gap with the PCS, even if Vincent's go up a bit. But if they're not, the sheer number will simply end the day before it even started.