2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP

da96103

Record Breaker
I'm just able to access the forums...please tell me everyone else here is just as confused as I am as to why Kolada is in fourth scored above men who did successful combos??? Why does he get such pcs boost when half the time it looks like he would rather be anywhere else??

Well they trying to Sotnikova him throughout the season, bringing his PCS higher and higher slowly.

Purv

Match Penalty
I believe one reason we don't typically see Pogorilaya "over scored" is because there are often other Russian ladies who maintain a medal position. With Kolyada, such is not the case and he is propped up by judges... especially here at Rostelecom, as I don't think Aliev is seen as a lock for a medal in the minds of judges just yet.

Kolyada got such score, because judges wanted to put him very close to the top3 .They gave him a chance to medal tomorrow .

DexterK

On the Ice
Kolyada got such score, because judges wanted to put him very close to the top3 .They gave him a chance to medal tomorrow .

I think we are actually agreeing, lol (So often the opposite is what we see happening on Golden Skate) Enjoy the rest of Rostelecom!!

da96103

Record Breaker
Tomorrow will be the debut for Yuzu and Dima's 4Lz. Kolyada will try to repeat his success. Chen is just a staple jump for him.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't know what kind of score people were expecting Mikhail to get. He had one problem in his jumping passes - which meant about 10 points less in TES, but the rest of his elements were perfectly fine. He was the only skater with level 4s in all spins and step sequence, which are four elements out of seven in the SP. He had negative GOE in his combo, and that's about it.
Maybe his PCS were overscored, let's say two points? Because Denis Ten got 41 for that mess of a program, and I don't see how Mikhail should be behind him. Also, both Deniss and Misha Ge had less BV compared to Mikhail, even performing their combos. The answer for that are the quads, like it or not.

KyngRafael

Rinkside
Nathan Chen was beyond exciting here. I loved this program. It’s so unique and different. He really held on to all the jumps. Pleased to see Misha Ge and Deniss Vasiljevs as high as they are. I’m always charmed by gorgeous programs with great skating skills. It just goes to show you don’t always need the quads to be part of the conversation. I join many in being perplexed by Kolyada’s fourth...

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This whole PCS overscoring discussion is really getting old (at least imo). Obviously the ISU decided not to punish mistakes multiple times some time ago. And yes, a 10 in skating skills is probably too much when the skater had a fall. But I have no problem f.e. if Chan or Hanyu gets a 9.75 with a fall. And the reason why someone like Ge has a lower performance score than Kolyada is that the judges balance those PCS categories, skating skills seem to be the most important. Wether you agree with it or not, this is how it is. We'll have the same discussion after the ladies SP and again and again and again until we might get a new judging system next season and we'll find something we don't like about that judging system as well.

I'd probably have Ge in 4th and Kolyada in 5th after the SP but there's less than a point between them, so I think this result is ok.
But I have to write that I think that Hanyu is making a huge mistake in this Olympic season - doing that Seimei FS again is probably a very good idea, it's a great program and the crowd loves it. But doing the Chopin SP a third time is a bad idea ... watching it this time I wasn't interested in it at all ... it does feel old.
Chen is a delight, fresh and handsome, a real contender for all the medals this season.
Aliev hasn't touched me (yet). The costumes looks like the one Boitano wore at the Olympics, I'm not impressed but 3rd place after the SP is justified of course.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I believe one reason we don't typically see Pogorilaya "over scored" is because there are often other Russian ladies who maintain a medal position. With Kolyada, such is not the case and he is propped up by judges... especially here at Rostelecom, as I don't think Aliev is seen as a lock for a medal in the minds of judges just yet.

I don't know why anyone thinks Kolyada was ever a lock. He has exactly one medal of any significance - a bronze from Euros. He has never medaled at a GP yet. The hype is getting old.

whatif

Medalist
Aliev should have been 90+. But I will take what I can get. LOVED his Masquerade Waltz, just land that lutz at the Olympics pls. I hope Nathan wins tomorrow!!!!! And Denis jumps into top 5.

shine

Record Breaker
I don't know why anyone thinks Kolyada was ever a lock. He has exactly one medal of any significance - a bronze from Euros. He has never medaled at a GP yet. The hype is getting old.

I kinda hope Aliev replaces him as Russia's number one. His skating is much more musical and beautiful to me. His LP is quite gorgeous IMO.

harryqin

Rinkside
Looked in to the detailed score of step sequence, most of the judges gave Nathen 2 while most of the judges gave Yuzuru 3. This is obviously misjudged!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Not impressed by the first GP so far, but hopefully later GP sp competitions will be better... The highlights to me here were Chen and Hanyu, both are great to watch, even with mistakes. Did not like Aliev, he was not able to dominate his music, just too strong for his abilities. And Kolyada has never been my cup of tea and had no expectations from him.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Youtube has the programs at the moment, go watch and/or grab before copyright monster wakes up!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It was an irony, dont take it so seriously. I will be laughing :)And please dont do off topic, because the one person who will be punished it will be me

The irony is that it was not an irony. But yes, I'm doing off topic.

evasorange

Final Flight
Also can I say Yuzu really needs a new sp costume! The program already feels been there done that and the same old outfit is not helping!

da96103

Record Breaker
Also can I say Yuzu really needs a new sp costume! The program already feels been there done that and the same old outfit is not helping!

I do agree that the costume needs to be changed but you know, if you can save some money, you might as well.

Edit to add: Maybe has to do with the gender of the coach. I remembered Shoma has at least 3 different costumes for Loco FS last year. Brian probably said: Yuzu you can use the costume from two seasons ago.

padme21

On the Ice
I do agree that the costume needs to be changed but you know, if you can save some money, you might as well.

Edit to add: Maybe has to do with the gender of the coach. I remembered Shoma has at least 3 different costumes for Loco FS last year. Brian probably said: Yuzu you can use the costume from two seasons ago.

This whole PCS overscoring discussion is really getting old (at least imo). Obviously the ISU decided not to punish mistakes multiple times some time ago. And yes, a 10 in skating skills is probably too much when the skater had a fall. But I have no problem f.e. if Chan or Hanyu gets a 9.75 with a fall. And the reason why someone like Ge has a lower performance score than Kolyada is that the judges balance those PCS categories, skating skills seem to be the most important. Wether you agree with it or not, this is how it is. We'll have the same discussion after the ladies SP and again and again and again until we might get a new judging system next season and we'll find something we don't like about that judging system as well.

I'd probably have Ge in 4th and Kolyada in 5th after the SP but there's less than a point between them, so I think this result is ok.
But I have to write that I think that Hanyu is making a huge mistake in this Olympic season - doing that Seimei FS again is probably a very good idea, it's a great program and the crowd loves it. But doing the Chopin SP a third time is a bad idea ... watching it this time I wasn't interested in it at all ... it does feel old.
Chen is a delight, fresh and handsome, a real contender for all the medals this season.
Aliev hasn't touched me (yet). The costumes looks like the one Boitano wore at the Olympics, I'm not impressed but 3rd place after the SP is justified of course.

I agree that doing Chopin for a third time is beginning to look like a mistake. Especially given how he skated it this morning he's not doing himself any favors. As a Hanyu fan I was not impressed and it didn't look like the judges were either. If you're going to do a program for a third season you better sell the heck out of it. You have to skate it clean otherwise you're not justifying why you're using it. I know many will say Hanyu always had a slow start at the beginning the season. I'm well aware of his track record however he can't afford to make errors like that anymore when he's gotten Nathan Chen and Shoma Uno and many others nipping at his heels now he does not have a fall/mistake cushion anymore that doesn't exist.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Deniss V now skates lovely and more sophisticated :love:, but after this Oly season is over I'd rather want to see his own personality on ice, than channeling Stephane in interpretation and body movements. Loved his SP last season more.
Sad to see Denis Ten is still suffering from injuries. :sad4: Let's hope he gets back his health in time for the Oly Games.
I said before but want to repeat: Why Russian boys are so good at Camel spin! :love:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Nathan's hair deserves performance score of 9.75. It was a complete scene stealer.