2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Mens SP

padme21

On the Ice
I'm not in love with Nathan's LP yet. I really loved his LP from last season. I thought it'd be perfect for the Olympics season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Some excellent performances, particularly Chen's and Aliev's. Also enjoyed Ge and Vasiljevs! :)

Hanyu's SP had some significant issues, but I'm sure he'll bounce back in the FS, and it's better to get the bad pancakes out of his system, so to speak. :biggrin:

That being said. These judges totally suck. PCS of 46.61 is an absolute joke for 2 major errors, including a fall... Hanyu even got 9.5's for Performance. Even Chan was never gifted that generously. Also Hanyu's 4L was UR with a turnout, and he got three -1's... and three -2's for the 4-3 fall... like, are the judges totally blind? Especially the first judge. :rolleye:

Also absolutely criminal that Kolyada got higher PCS than Chen, although it's Rostelecom Cup so I'm not surprised.

And in the grand tradition of Rostelecom Cup, Kolyada is yet another Russian skater who is awarded a PCS personal best, despite making a major error! :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although I much prefer Kolyada, I think there is a very strong case to be made that Misha Ge beat him in this short program, although the scoring indicates otherwise.

There is also a case to be made that Yuzu could have been placed third in this phase, and it wouldn't necessarily be controversial. Aliev skated very well, although I question the stability and speed on his back camel.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I kind of miss Let's Get Crazy from last season. That was exciting and energetic.

That was my favorite Yuzu short program of all time. The footwork section was magnificent.

MIM

Medalist
Reckless, young, energetic, challenging, fresh, (more)quads are the words to describe Yuzu on his way to become a champion, jw comparison to his old rivals (I.e. Patrick)

It is odd that now these are the words for Nathan, one of Yuzu’s new rivals, whom he has to compete against in order to stay at the top.

Men’s Figure skating is at the most exciting and interesting phase thanks to all amazing men who want to push the boundary further and further.

Nika09

On the Ice
Just 24 pages of comments (there are about 65 for Ladies)? So underscored! :noshake:

To be serious:
- I love the way Nathan attacking the program right after 3A. Aaand - amazing SP!
- Don't think I will be able to recognize Yuzuru without Chopin Ballade and that costume after all. It's shame indeed that we didn't get new masterpiece from him. Anyway, good luck for tomorrow!
- Oww, was feeling so sorry for Aliyev while watching him walzing around alone, with imaginary partner :(

emipeters

Rinkside
Reckless, young, energetic, challenging, fresh, (more)quads are the words to describe Yuzu on his way to become a champion, jw comparison to his old rivals (I.e. Patrick)

It is odd that now these are the words for Nathan, one of Yuzu’s new rivals, whom he has to compete against in order to stay at the top.

Men’s Figure skating is at the most exciting and interesting phase thanks to all amazing men who want to push the boundary further and further.

something about Nathan's performance today really reminded me of Yuzu from a few years back. Still slightly unfinished as a performer, but wild and raw and, yeah, reckless. Really enjoyable skate, one for the repeat watching list for sure.

Chopin - also not feeling it this year. After the Notte Stellato Ex last year, I was really hoping he'd work with David Wilson again. PW aside, I've never really liked Jeff's choreography for Yuzu. I'd always thought that the issues with Notre Dame de Paris and RJ2 were down to communication issues more than anything, and that Wilson's choreography really forced Yuzu to challenge his weaknesses and demonstrate greater maturity.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Just 24 pages of comments (there are about 65 for Ladies)? So underscored! :noshake:

To be serious:
- I love the way Nathan attacking the program right after 3A. Aaand - amazing SP!
- Don't think I will be able to recognize Yuzuru without Chopin Ballade and that costume after all. It's shame indeed that we didn't get new masterpiece from him. Anyway, good luck for tomorrow!
- Oww, was feeling so sorry for Aliyev while watching him walzing around alone, with imaginary partner :(

The forum was seriously lagging during the SP, Ladies was back to normal.

charlotte14

Medalist
I was at the arena. I think Hanyu did pretty well. And that program is beautiful. In the practice he messed even more. He deserves the score.

snd

On the Ice
nathan really saved those iffy landings. he can do better. i believe in him. it's a genius program (just like his lp) but i'm waiting for a cleaner performance. like the body lines, movement and choreo. kinda like the 'rough' aesthetic here, too.

yuzuru - good choreo matching the music just perfectly. great spins. i liked this performance more than i normally like him.

deniss v. - should have better pcs, that was a great performance.

denis ten - THAT STSQ THO. nobody can beat him at certain things.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I looked at the protocols and I think it was fair. Lowest PCS category is transitions and highest interpretation. I would probably go higher on the interpretation because I thought he brought the passion today. He lost one spin level and that spin was slower than usual (and I do hate his camel position--but that's just my pet peeve). I think Nathan can add some transitions and work on his edges and power some more if he wants Yuzu and Patrick level PCS scores. I think he's almost there and the top men have to go clean to beat him.

On rewatch some landings were saved, so a 100 point score wasn't as low as I first thought. Sometimes you notice things more clearly on a rewatch - the good and the bad. It is a good score and he has things he can work on, so more points are possible.

mskater93

Record Breaker
For those knowledgeable what is the meaning of that V at in the initials for combination spin (CCoSp3V) This was Deniss' spin.

It means he did not attain all three positions in his combo spin in general. Haven't seen the program, so don't know specifically why the V.

That's the trouble with being the fastest gun in the west. Next year someone comes along who is younger, faster, and with an itchier trigger finger. :yes:

kimganos

On the Ice
i wish that aliev kept his last season's sp, which is really showcasing his qualties. the masquerade it too generic, and don't helping him with PCS

Yes I too agree! The Oblivion SP by had the makings of a Masterpiece.

bixby

Final Flight
Props to Nathan's entire team for spending these last two years in developing Nathan for this season. I must say his packaging is a work of genius. From the music, to the skating, to his styling, It really sets up a narrative for the olympics - the old guard (literally characterized by the same costume and same program) versus something new, fresh, and young. It's top notch. What's scary about Nathan's programs this year is that his SP is my least favorite of his two programs this year. His LP (especially the footwork) is a work of art.

I agree!

Even if Yuzu, Javier or Patrick skate a clean a program, it feels boring now since we've gotten used to their same old style.

Also, before we were so amazed when they land a quad or two. Now, Nathan and others make it so common and it's exciting to see different quads being done instead of just the quad toe and quad sal.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I agree!

Even if Yuzu, Javier or Patrick skate a clean a program, it feels boring now since we've gotten used to their same old style.

Also, before we were so amazed when they land a quad or two. Now, Nathan and others make it so common and it's exciting to see different quads being done instead of just the quad toe and quad sal.

I feel completely different about Patrick Chan. The older he gets, the better the programs are for me. Doesn't feel like the 'old' Chan at all, who I admit I wasn't the biggest fan of.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I really liked Nathan's program buy it does feel like it belongs to a long line of pop-soul programs. It feels similar to some done before in style even if it is very well executed. But great performance for him, and the score could have been higher. That quad Lutz was woah.

Yuzuru really didn't change anything, did he? I thought he was talking about adding spin variations (and I love his spins) but I didn't see anything new... he even has the gal to keep doing the butt spin... come on!

charlotte14

Medalist
Actually Nathan has a lot more to do with his SP. You have to be there to understand the feeling. The performance was kinda underwheming with the materials he has. I was expecting more excitement but I did not feel that much. It was good. But not electrifying like I imaged it when I first saw his practice in the summer.

shine

Record Breaker
Actually Nathan has a lot more to do with his SP. You have to be there to understand the feeling. The performance was kinda underwheming with the materials he has. I was expecting more excitement but I did not feel that much. It was good. But not electrifying like I imaged it when I first saw his practice in the summer.
I won't completely disagree. He performed this program quite a bit better at Carnival on Ice in Japan just a couple of weeks ago but he was also doing no quads or 3As. I think including these big jumps really take a lot of energy both physically and mentally and he probably still needs more time before he can perform this choreography (which is not trivial at all) as freely, polished, and in sync with the music as he otherwise could when he doesn't have to worry about the quads. I hope he'll eventually get there though.