2017 GP Internationaux de France Ladies SP | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Internationaux de France Ladies SP

Skatingcat

Final Flight
What was wrong with the ice? I know ice-dancing is a different animal, but they don't seem to be having trouble on it.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well my recording of the Ladie's SP on the Olympic Channel cut off just as Kaetlyn got off the ice - so if anyone is going to dvr this competition live, make sure you add at least another 15-20 minutes at the end like I forgot too! :(

Wow, I'm with Tracy on this one - there definitely seemed to be something wrong with the ice! I think virtually all the women had a mistake in their program and maybe not due to them but due to crappy ice!

I'm reading the pbp's which I always enjoy - thanks everyone! I'm about to find out who won the SP although I'm thinking it's Kaetlyn in spite of the double on her combo!

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What was wrong with the ice? I know ice-dancing is a different animal, but they don't seem to be having trouble on it.

Ice dancers don't use their toe picks as much as singles do.

fireovertheice

On the Ice
It seems that not only the Russian judge (J4), but also the Canadian one (J2) made the possibile to help their country ladies. I have to say that, on the contrary, the Japan judge (J7) did nothing in particular to held up her country ladies ...
Everything more or less as usual.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It seems that not only the Russian judge (J4), but also the Canadian one (J2) made the possibile to help their country ladies. I have to say that, on the contrary, the Japan judge (J7) did nothing in particular to held up her country ladies ...
Everything more or less as usual.

It's typical stance of Japanese judges. Even their national scores are not crazy.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm watching all the performances. What a hot mess, the ice condition surely is one of the factors.

Kaetlyn was saved by the judges and looking at her face in the KnC she probably knows it so hopefully we'll see a better skate from her tomorrow. Good transitions and great personality i can see why she get high components.

Maria was lovely: i like this program, the new dress is very pretty, a little slower in the steps sequence perhaps and messy landing on the flip, but she might still win this with a clean skate in the free.

Yuna surprisingly good: much better than her previous performances, including last week at NHK, the music is a little bland, but Mie Hamada is doing a good job on improving her artistry (in juniors she was very boring to watch).

J6 gave Kaetlyn +1 for hand down. Nice.

and -3 for Sotskova on the flip from the same judge.

At least some user here will learn that judges from former USSR countries aren't all that very kind with russian skaters, in the case of Poland is often the opposite.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Just remembered about this and only saw the scores..Poor Alina...Audience size looks comparable to a big JGP event though so I'm guessing the nerves come from all this Olympics pressure. Aaand now I'm trying to calculate Wakaba's chances for finals if she doesn't snatch up 1st or 2nd..:slink:

I like Sotskova little bit more than Zagitova but I feel like I am going to root for Alina to edge her out in LP because it helps Wakaba's chances at GPF:drama:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I finally had a chance to watch and.... what a mess, wow.

Tbh, I don't particularly root for any of the ladies at this event, so I wish for the outcome that will allow Wakaba to make it to GPF ;)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Nah, there's no way Masha can beat Alina.

She will if it means stop Wakaba to the GPF. Am i paranoid? Absolute!!!
Can you blame me?!!

Waka has some of the strongest skates this season, it is inconceivable she will not be in the GPF. Sometimes being strong and a threat actually makes you a target. Look what the Russian judge did to Mai's marks (or infact her mark this whole season so far!!). I want everyone do well though, but these musical chairs sometimes give me nightmares.

Maria is growing on me, but I'd argue her package is even more junior than Mai and Alina. Maria and Polina are the better among the new Russian generation but need some work in actually developing artistry organically not through miming backloading packages ala Eteri/Elia factory.