2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 197 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

SkaterX

On the Ice
Speaking of Mirai's Axels. Has anyone commented on the choreo and preparation going into them? She skates to one part of the rink and looks ready to take off, then lowers her arms and skates to another part with no choreography at all and then jumps?

I've noticed that is the case in both short and the free.

I think it has to do with muscle memory. If that's the way she's been skating in practice then it will be easier for her to land it in competition with that same set up. Tom Z has an MS and knows a lot about sports science so I bet he's thought about this.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not hair color or costume change, she's done those so far without announcements..she might be getting a new cat.

OK, I haven't crossed paths with you before now, but I can already tell we're going to be friends.

Love the post!

Tahuu

On the Ice
Ashley looks very happy and excited in that IG photo. The mood doesn’t look like from someone to announce a coaching change, especially to a long-time coach.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
New sponsorship for Ashley maybe??

Well, she said big "changes" and not big "news." And after SA she said that she was disappointed that she wasn't the competitor that she wanted to be. Could it be that she'll be going to the Olympics in an NBC role and not as a skater?

This would be bittersweet for me, because for four years I've been pulling for her to make another Olympics. But I'd also welcome her input in another role!

Icey

Record Breaker
Re Muscle Memory: There have been several good studies in recent years that have shown muscle memory doesn't exist. I meant to post a link to one of them sometime this year, but feel sure I forgot.

Personally, about mirai, if she is still finding the 3 ax takes so much out of her, I would suggest she practice with it in the middle of the program or at the end. Then in competition, put it at the beginning and it will seem easier.

SkaterX

On the Ice
Re Muscle Memory: There have been several good studies in recent years that have shown muscle memory doesn't exist. I meant to post a link to one of them sometime this year, but feel sure I forgot.

Personally, about mirai, if she is still finding the 3 ax takes so much out of her, I would suggest she practice with it in the middle of the program or at the end. Then in competition, put it at the beginning and it will seem easier.

Can you provide a link to these studies? If muscle memory (procedural memory) did not exist then things like playing the piano or tying your shoes would be impossible. The cerebellum is instrumental in these functions.

As an example of this, Clive Wearing, a man with herpes encephalitis, was unable to form new memories but retained the ability to play the piano.

frida80

Record Breaker
Can you provide a link to these studies? If muscle memory (procedural memory) did not exist then things like playing the piano or tying your shoes would be impossible. The cerebellum is instrumental in these functions.

As an example of this, Clive Wearing, a man with herpes encephalitis, was unable to form new memories but retained the ability to play the piano.

Muscle memory definitely exist. If it did, we wouldn't be able to function at all. We rely on our bodies to learn actions unconsciously so we can do nearly everything. What a bizarre thing to say. Perhaps the definition of muscle memory is what's being disputed.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Muscle memory definitely exist. If it did, we wouldn't be able to function at all. We rely on our bodies to learn actions unconsciously so we can do nearly everything. What a bizarre thing to say. Perhaps the definition of muscle memory is what's being disputed.

I'd have to read those articles because I can see both sides, and am wondering what the definitions of 'muscle memory' are. Clearly if you aren't at the same level of fitness as before, muscle memory will not help (gymnastics, tennis, skating,etc). Technique and muscle memory are different. You can lose your technique if it requires spot-on precision and constant practice. It seems everytime I pick up a tennis racket every few years I feel like I'm starting from scratch with the technique, but I didn't lose the muscle memory to connect with the ball, for example. Or going skiing, I haven't been in years but I know after a few runs I'll be back to usual. So maybe that's what those articles are referring to?

frida80

Record Breaker
I'd have to read those articles because I can see both sides, and am wondering what the definitions of 'muscle memory' are. Clearly if you aren't at the same level of fitness as before, muscle memory will not help (gymnastics, tennis, skating,etc). Technique and muscle memory are different. You can lose your technique if it requires spot-on precision and constant practice. It seems everytime I pick up a tennis racket every few years I feel like I'm starting from scratch with the technique, but I didn't lose the muscle memory to connect with the ball, for example. Or going skiing, I haven't been in years but I know after a few runs I'll be back to usual. So maybe that's what those articles are referring to?

I think we’re talking about motor learning, which is learning skills through repetition until it becomes a unconscious action. Muscle memory, meaning your muscles automatically return to their athletic state faster after ceasing the sport are the myth.

My guess is skating programs become fully learned when they are learned through motor learning. I’ve read that programs take anywhere from two to four months to be fully learned. Which is why so many skaters perform more strongly towards the second half of the season.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not: Tiffany's postures are horrible by today's standard; her outfit, and packaging (including the hair) overall had little to do with ballerina. I even see some of the not-so-good postures in her student Kailani Craine.

No, but here are some suitable replacements for our current set of skaters

Are you a fan of new Russian skater Alina Zagitova's Don Quixote?
Here's Tiffany Chin's Don Quixote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfr_NBwNPE

Wow, look at that, a jump timed to music instead of 37 jumping passes in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfr_NBwNPE&t=1m57s

I've heard praise of Hanyu's spread eagle-axel-spread eagle, but look at this
Peggy Flemming's spread eagle, axel, spread eagle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw9XZAA72lw&t=1m45s

[/url]

creaturelover

On the Ice
Well, she said big "changes" and not big "news." And after SA she said that she was disappointed that she wasn't the competitor that she wanted to be. Could it be that she'll be going to the Olympics in an NBC role and not as a skater?
I doubt it - the picture it was attached to is awfully cheerful for that to be the change.... if that were the news I would expect a more somber tone...

brightphoton

Medalist
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not: Tiffany's postures are horrible by today's standard; her outfit, and packaging (including the hair) overall had little to do with ballerina. I even see some of the not-so-good postures in her student Kailani Craine.

:shrug: Her posture looks pretty good to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfr_NBwNPE&t=2m05s
It does worsen for the last 30 seconds of her program, but Tiffany was probably feeling sad about falling her jumps and not getting a medal.

As for Tiffany's outfit, packaging, and hairstyle -- a certain other skater liked it enough to pay homage to it with a Latin program at the next Olympics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dasO0x2Ook&t=0m21s

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I haven't crossed paths with you before now, but I can already tell we're going to be friends.

Love the post!

Because what we REALLY need is more posts bashing Ashley ... who, as someone said recently, has carried US ladies' skating on her back for years.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for Tiffany's outfit, packaging, and hairstyle -- a certain other skater liked it enough to pay homage to it with a Latin program at the next Olympics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dasO0x2Ook&t=0m21s

Are you sure it was an homage? How can you know for sure, unless the skater said so? It doesn't seem like an homage to me. It seems like a hugely different program in style, concept and execution.

Tastes differ, but watching those programs one after the other only showed me how much better I liked Kristi's as regards technique integrated into the program, musical feeling and interpretation, artistry, and performance to the audience. Those beautiful smiles!

labgoat

Now updating the 6.0 rewatches with new videos
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just rewatched Bradie Tennell, the US Cinderella story of this year and realized that both she and Polina Edmunds, the US Cinderella of 2014, are both 19 years old. Too bad Polina is not fully recovered as it would be an interesting rivalry as both have a consistency and competitive spirit. I would love to compare their speed and flow when both are at peak. Bradie even resembles the body type many thought Polina would turn out to be. To her credit, Polina has had to reinvent herself with her mature body. I am a fan of both skaters and look forward to seeing both of them healthy at Nationals.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I just learned about the show Ice Diaries which aired back in 2006. I was only able to find the first episode. Does anyone know where I could find the rest of the series?

princessalica

Final Flight
I was obsessed with ice diaries. It used to all be on YouTube. It’s where I started rooting for Alissa czisny. Took a while of watching tsl before I made the connection.