2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 198 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

princessalica

Final Flight
I was searching more. Discovery/talc must have taken them down and they aren’t on Hulu or Netflix either. I used to have them all saved.

brightphoton

Medalist
Are you sure it was an homage? How can you know for sure, unless the skater said so? It doesn't seem like an homage to me. It seems like a hugely different program in style, concept and execution.

Tastes differ, but watching those programs one after the other only showed me how much better I liked Kristi's as regards technique integrated into the program, musical feeling and interpretation, artistry, and performance to the audience. Those beautiful smiles!

Ah, nothing substantial. Just my gut feeling. Kristi Yamaguchi has always been open with her admiration for Tiffany, and imo Kristi's dress looks very much like Tiffany's dress: gold and black metallic upper and a feathery black skirt.

I love Kristi's smile too :) Ladies now tend to have really serious expression of their faces, but it's probably due to the increased technical requirements. Speaking of technical abilities, people like to make fun of Kristi for her small jumps, but she had a triple lutz-triple toe. :biggrin:

I found those but unfortunately the videos have been removed :(

The Ice Diaries videos were long gone due to copyright issues. Too bad. It was an entertaining show and no one can enjoy it now.

You'll have to use your imagination here, because the video is gone. But on Ice Diaries, Alissa Czisny once did a triple axel with the harness. Her coach, Julia? Julie? said that she's learning it well, and she estimates that Alissa will be able to do the triple axel on her own within 3 months. :laugh:

Weathergal

Medalist
I found those but unfortunately the videos have been removed :(

I was searching more. Discovery/talc must have taken them down and they aren’t on Hulu or Netflix either. I used to have them all saved.

What a shame you can't find it anymore. I enjoyed watching the series. There were four skaters featured: Alissa Czisny, Danielle Kahle, Sandy Rucker, and Bebe Liang - although later they added some footage on Jennifer Kirk.

Try this link: https://vimeo.com/199842918 Actually I thought this had more - it might just be the first episode. :(

Perhaps the Multimedia Videos for Trade under the "Office" section might help?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because what we REALLY need is more posts bashing Ashley ... who, as someone said recently, has carried US ladies' skating on her back for years.

Honestly, I was laughing at the witty snark the contributor displayed, and it had nothing to do with Ashley's skating.

But, now that you bring it up, I've never subscribed to the notion that Ashley is somehow entitled to "Grande Dame" status.

She's a good skater, but I doubt that 20 years from now, there will be a lot of people You-Tubing her most legendary performances.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, I was laughing at the witty snark the contributor displayed, and it had nothing to do with Ashley's skating.

But, now that you bring it up, I've never subscribed to the notion that Ashley is somehow entitled to "Grande Dame" status.

She's a good skater, but I doubt that 20 years from now, there will be a lot of people You-Tubing her most legendary performances.

I guess it depends on which "lot of people" you're talking about. Hard to predict, of course. I've never thought of Ashley as a Grand Dame, but I stand by my statement that she's carried US ladies figure skating. She's had help, but she's been the main one and the one who's shown the greatest consistency over time and, I'd say, competitive spirit and nerve. Also, I say she's loaded with natural figure skating talent ... but again, that depends on what a viewer's emphasis and taste run to.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I doubt it - the picture it was attached to is awfully cheerful for that to be the change.... if that were the news I would expect a more somber tone...

Why would she be "somber" about a high-profile media job? And she still would be able to continue he skating career in shows & appearances.

creaturelover

On the Ice
She has stated numerous times her goal is the Olympics. I understand if it were after but to retire to NBC just doesn't fit at this moment with goals she has outlined in previous interviews.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess it depends on which "lot of people" you're talking about. Hard to predict, of course. I've never thought of Ashley as a Grand Dame, but I stand by my statement that she's carried US ladies figure skating. She's had help, but she's been the main one and the one who's shown the greatest consistency over time and, I'd say, competitive spirit and nerve. Also, I say she's loaded with natural figure skating talent ... but again, that depends on what a viewer's emphasis and taste run to.

I respect that viewpoint, and I respect you.

And, as I said, Ashley is a good skater. Not great, in my opinion, but people can differ and remain on good terms. I hope we do.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I respect that viewpoint, and I respect you.

And, as I said, Ashley is a good skater. Not great, in my opinion, but people can differ and remain on good terms. I hope we do.

Absolutely. :) I do have a hard time appreciating snark and separating it from putting people down, but even though it may not always seem that way, I enjoy humor, and certainly I recognize that sense of humor is also subjective and everyone's taste is personal. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, nothing substantial. Just my gut feeling. Kristi Yamaguchi has always been open with her admiration for Tiffany, and imo Kristi's dress looks very much like Tiffany's dress: gold and black metallic upper and a feathery black skirt.

Ah. I didn't know she'd expressed her admiration for Tiffany; that's different. Also, it makes sense. I've heard Kristi mention being an early Asian/American skater, so I can surely imagine how inspiring and thrilling it must have been for her as a teen-ager to see Tiffany doing so well on the national and world stage.

I love Kristi's smile too :) Ladies now tend to have really serious expression of their faces, but it's probably due to the increased technical requirements. Speaking of technical abilities, people like to make fun of Kristi for her small jumps, but she had a triple lutz-triple toe. :biggrin:

Yes, and it was a great 3Lz-3T too. I don't remember the announcers emphasizing it as I (now) feel they should have. Everyone raved so about others' triple axels, but talked more about Kristi's other qualities, IIRC. I love it when skaters look happy and like they're enjoying themselves.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
She has stated numerous times her goal is the Olympics. I understand if it were after but to retire to NBC just doesn't fit at this moment with goals she has outlined in previous interviews.

Her goal hasn't been to simply make the Olympics again. It has been to contend for an individual medal. If, as she said, she isn't "the competitor I wanted to be" (her foot infection might be just part of the story), I could see her retiring to NBC if that meant a multi-year contract beyond the Olympics. She wouldn't have to give up show skating.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her goal hasn't been to simply make the Olympics again. It has been to contend for an individual medal. If, as she said, she isn't "the competitor I wanted to be" (her foot infection might be just part of the story), I could see her retiring to NBC if that meant a multi-year contract beyond the Olympics. She wouldn't have to give up show skating.

Could you give me a link to that interview, Moxiejan? Or just tell me where you heard/read it.

Or ... I just thought of this ... could she have meant in the event, at SA? She talked about being a "competitor at heart" and cited that as being the hard part of being forced to withdraw. I can see how her attitude of never giving up could have delayed her withdrawal beyond where it should have been, beyond where it might have been best for her.

Trewyn

Medalist
Ashley is getting back on the ice today/tomorrow to train for Nationals, according to her Instagram story.

I imagine her big news/change is about a sponsorship. I hope we’ll know soon because all this speculation is driving me crazy.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Could you give me a link to that interview, Moxiejan? Or just tell me where you heard/read it.

Or ... I just thought of this ... could she have meant in the event, at SA? She talked about being a "competitor at heart" and cited that as being the hard part of being forced to withdraw. I can see how her attitude of never giving up could have delayed her withdrawal beyond where it should have been, beyond where it might have been best for her.

You are right (and I am wrong) about what she meant. In several stories about her withdrawal, I saw this quote: "I'm a competitor through and through and to just not be the competitor that I want to be, it's really tough, and it breaks my heart," Wagner said.

BUT I just searched for it again (when you asked for a link), and found this more complete quote: "I'm a competitor through and through and to just not be the competitor that I want to be, it's really tough, and it breaks my heart. But I'm not in that position right now because I'm in pain and I just have to accept that, and I have to go home and get better first, and then I can start working towards nationals," Wagner said.

So the last phrase obviously changes the context and meaning.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Because what we REALLY need is more posts bashing Ashley ... who, as someone said recently, has carried US ladies' skating on her back for years.

Maybe in 2012 she did, but after that, Gracie Gold did just as much. It was the team of both of them that got the 3rd spot back, and kept it.

leafygreens

Final Flight
What a shame you can't find it anymore. I enjoyed watching the series. There were four skaters featured: Alissa Czisny, Danielle Kahle, Sandy Rucker, and Bebe Liang - although later they added some footage on Jennifer Kirk.

What I remember about the series is that all the skaters were being touted as Olympic hopefuls, but anyone who followed skating knew that they were nowhere close. Alissa probably became the closest but not in that quad. The footage of Sandy was abysmal. She fell on almost every jump (mostly doubles.) I wondered if they were only showing the worst of her for added drama.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I was so surprised to find out Bradie is 5'6", same height as Polina, since she appeared much shorter than that. Bradie must be supper skinny in real life, and it does not look like she starved herself or anything, which helps a lot with the survival of jumps.

Just rewatched Bradie Tennell, the US Cinderella story of this year and realized that both she and Polina Edmunds, the US Cinderella of 2014, are both 19 years old. Too bad Polina is not fully recovered as it would be an interesting rivalry as both have a consistency and competitive spirit. I would love to compare their speed and flow when both are at peak. Bradie even resembles the body type many thought Polina would turn out to be. To her credit, Polina has had to reinvent herself with her mature body. I am a fan of both skaters and look forward to seeing both of them healthy at Nationals.