2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Does Kaori train the 3A? I know Wakaba and Marin worked on the jump, but Kaori's 2A is also pretty powerful. Rika's 3A is a wonder. It looked effortless and easy. Two 3A's one in combination and they didn't destroy her program. If she can keep that level of difficulty even when she's older....to be honest, her score is too low with that sort of content. No other skater in the World does that. Must be protected, that girl. Give her all the possibilities.

AFAIK yes, Kaori trains the 3A. Personally I'm hoping both her and Waka pull it out next season and become the 3A triumvirate of Japan together with Rika!

(Rikas PCS were way too low, BTW :dbana: )

Congrats to the medalists, especially Kaori who kept it together despite all the pressure here. I love Waka with all my heart, she's my absolute favorite lady right now, and her programs are the best of the season - but I think Kaori will get that Olympic spot, and she deserves it.
Again, I only hope Waka (& Mai) take these experiences and learn from them, the Olympics aren't everything and they are still young. Same of course for Marin. And also, again, Waka - switch coaches already!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But they made GPF, that's the point. You're being pedantic picking the wording of "top 2", when they were in fact the top two Japanese ladies when it came to GP rankings, thereby making GPF. I don't think making GPF is a silly criterion when what it in fact means it that they were the Japanese ladies with the most points (and tie breaker win).

And lmao, I'm not a Satoko "naysayer", hunty. I wasn't doubting at all that she was going to PC.

Lol, okay there. People make the coulda shoulda woulda pedantic arguments all the time - namely in Wakaba's case they point out how she should have scored higher at CoC or in Satoko's case she should have been called for more tech calls. I was stating my opinion that "top 2 placements at GPF" is a silly criterion. Especially when it's not like Japan consistently has 3 entries (or even 2) at the GPF... plus I don't really consider it a legit criterion when someone can get the criterion checked off because of another skater withdrawing, as Satoko did. We can agree to disagree.

I wasn't calling you a Satoko naysayer or directing my comments at you. I was saying that regardless of what people have to say against Satoko she's going to PC. And that's the tea (green or otherwise). I couldn't lreally care less about if you like Satoko or not... that's your prerogative which you are entitled to. You do you, boo.

risingtrot

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpJ6pm8u0k&feature=youtu.be

Interview translation. Satoko only for now cause I am so sleepy. I might bet back with the rest or not =)

----

Interviewer: How do you feel about your win?
Satoko: Of all competitions I have had, this is the win I am most happiest.

Interviewer: This season just before the olympics, you had injury and i think you probably also have a lot of worries, with all that, you won the nationals four times in a row, how do you feel?
Satoko: I have done my best so far. For this competition my goal was to really do my best. I really needed and wanted to do my best and I was able to do it. Because of that I am really happy.

Interviewer: Coach Yamada who has been with you through all your pain and hardwork was crying after your skate. After your skate what did you talk about.
Satoko: We cried together. Now, I kind of don’t really remember. She showed that I really did my best. Even for just a little, those who have helped me during the hard times, I think i was able to give back to them.

Interviewer: Having been selected for the Olympics, how do you feel?
Satoko: It’s really my goal to be in the olympics. For now, I am excited. I am sure the pressure will be much more. It’s a big competition and I want to enjoy when I skate there.

----

** Note: Since it’s not final yet, the Japanese term used is 'naitei' which means tentative decision. Once it’s finalised tomorrow, her going to the Olympics should be final.

da96103

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpJ6pm8u0k&feature=youtu.be

Interview translation. Satoko only for now cause I am so sleepy. I might bet back with the rest or not =)

----

Interviewer: How do you feel about your win?
Satoko: Of all competitions I have had, this is the win I am most happiest.

Interviewer: This season just before the olympics, you had injury and i think you probably also have a lot of worries, with all that, you won the nationals four times in a row, how do you feel?
Satoko: I have done my best so far. For this competition my goal was to really do my best. I really needed and wanted to do my best and I was able to do it. Because of that I am really happy.

Interviewer: Coach Yamada who has been with you through all your pain and hardwork was crying after your skate. After your skate what did you talk about.
Satoko: We cried together. Now, I kind of don’t really remember. She showed that I really did my best. Even for just a little, those who have helped me during the hard times, I think i was able to give back to them.

Interviewer: Having been selected for the Olympics, how do you feel?
Satoko: It’s really my goal to be in the olympics. For now, I am excited. I am sure the pressure will be much more. It’s a big competition and I want to enjoy when I skate there.

----

** Note: Since it’s not final yet, the Japanese term used is 'naitei' which means tentative decision. Once it’s finalised tomorrow, her going to the Olympics should be final.

Hard to believe this part. More likely Coach Yamada cried for both of them. :laugh:

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I cried after Satoko. Such a great program. And although I love Wakaba's programs this year, I think Kaori is probably the more reliable, safe choice for the Olympics seeing as she handled the pressure of skating last here pretty well with only a UR on her 3+3 and edge issue on the Lutz. I thought Satoko's UR on 3Lz<+3T was the right call, everything else looked safely within quarter turn.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Rika Kihira...first time I see her (I'm not watching juniors in general). I'm speechless, that TES is insane. If she can grow artistically a bit, she'll soon be Japan's nr1.

I'm sorry for the little princess Mai and for Marin...but they also have time to grow.

beki

Medalist
Kaori’s done well, but she won’t challenge the top ladies at the Olympics. She’ll be a comfortably top 10 afterthought. She’s not a total package yet, is emerging too late, and seemingly has to be held down behind Satoko.

If JSF really wanted a woman on the podium, they would’ve invested in Wakaba the way Russia invested in Zagitova, with rising PCS. It would’ve done wonders for her confidence if she knew she had the same support Satoko has. (Or with a different short program, it could’ve been Mai.) Satoko will inevitably be held down by URs. The podium will be Medvedeva, Zagitova and Kostner or Osmond. Or a Russian sweep.

The Japanese women are wonderful. But none of them have been soundly strategically supported so they could medal.

I hope Wakaba will switch to Brian Orser, so he can politic for her, and correct the flaws in her skating and strategy. I hope Mai’s health holds up, so she can continue to develop her skating.

ask

Match Penalty
Among all the girls, I think Mai is the right person to push. Her problem isn't in TES. She can throw it down in the LP. Just get her to skate a clean SP, and push her hard, she has higher TES than Satoko and Wakaba.

sakurano

Final Flight
certe kaori is likely to make a top 5 see top 10 but remember you the 2014 Olympics the pressure was also huge Mao Asada sank despite being a favorite, the national champion Akiko Suzuki made 8 th and my favorite this season Kanako Murakami the at 12th. so I find you a little hard. the only one for me who is likely to beat carolina Kostner, Kaethlyn Osmond, Ashley Wagner if she takes the 3rd quota is Satoko Miyahara so I'm glad she's participating. however the decision is very hard the three merits this place (Wakaba, Kaori, May).
that the best wins.

(At worst I'll console myself by saying that if Kaori makes a top 5 we will still have a james bond girl with his EX XD)

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Interviews

https://youtu.be/IfpJ6pm8u0k

Be prepared before you watch. It just makes you sad :(...

I try to briefly translate what they said, but i may miss out some points (sigh i should not have dropped out Japanese class when I was younger)

Satoko: This is by far my happiest victory.
(Despite your injuries, you have made a comeback and achieved 4-time consecutive strike, how do you think?)
- I have worked hard to be here and I have achieved my goals. I though I must work hard and do it here, I am happy that I am able to do it.
(Coach Hamada has been through difficult times with you and she cannot stop her tears when you finished, what did you say?)
- We both had tears, I didn't quite remember what I said. I have really worked hard and even just a little, I want to give thanks to her for being with me at difficult times. (oh my i am having tears too when i type this)
(Now you are selected to go the Olympics, how do you feel right now?)
- That is the stage that I aim to go and I am excited about it. Surely I do feel some pressure, but I am looking forward to skate there.

Kaori: The first jump was a bit scary, and I felt a bit uncertain right after, but I am happy that I completed my program.
(You came in the free skate as the leader after the SP, do you feel pressure? how did you feel?)
- I really didn't feel like being the leader, I just wanted to chase after the people senior to me. I really didn't think I would come this far at the beginning of the season, this is the intense Olympics season, so I am already very happy to be able to reach here, and I have felt more confident.

Rika K.: I was nervous today, but I am more confident now after having finished it in a big competition like this today.
(You are the first skater ever since Mao Asada at Vancouver Olympics to do three Triples Axels in one competition, what do you think of that?)
- I never thought I would do three here, but I wanted to change my program and I am happy that I made a big achievement here.
(You will go to Junior Worlds, how do you feel?)
- I aim to improve myself to reach higher, and I look forward to a perfect performance.

Wakaba: I haven't been able to jump the Salchow and it was the biggest regret that I failed to do it here today, but I am happy that I did all the other jumps. (she also said she wants to go the olympics, but i don't understand the sentence that follows)

Mai: I have received a lot of thoughts and applause from the audience and I am very happy. While training for Nationals I had a lot of thoughts, such as wanting to surpass what I did in 2017 and many other things, so I am glad that I finished the program till the end, even though I cried a bit at the end of the program, I put on a smile because today's performance was good.

Rika H: It was a regret that I was not able to be perfect like in the practice. I have got well since last season, I wanted to be at a better state and performance better at Nationals, but obviously the practice wasn't enough.

Marin: I wasn't able to perform as I expected, it was a huge regret. Going to the Olympics is my dream, and I will work hard to make it come true.

da96103

Record Breaker
I hope Wakaba will switch to Brian Orser, so he can politic for her, and correct the flaws in her skating and strategy. I hope Mai’s health holds up, so she can continue to develop her skating.

A precious Orser spot will open up next season if Javi retires. Wakaba should grab it. She'll be the next Yuna Kim.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
A precious Orser spot will open up next season if Javi retires. Wakaba should grab it. She'll be the next Yuna Kim.

Does she realistically have a chance? That would be fantastic, since she is SO YOUNG. Her skating just makes you think she's a lot older than she actually is. :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wakaba is still pretty young though. She's in high school still and it's very hard to move to another continent at that age. We don't know her family's situation, if her mother could come with, if they have enough money, if she even wants to do it. I somehow doubt it'll happen, at least in the next season I don't see it.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
That was actually a joke, but I agree with you.

Sorry, I didn't realize. :biggrin: I should have known better than to doubt your judgment!

Hmm... you might be right about Kaori, but I'm not sure Wakaba is that sensitive. She said in interview (Kenji no Heya, I think?) that after failure or disappointment... she goes home... throws/breaks things... cries herself to sleep... and then comes out the next day angry and ready to fight...! :-D

Yes, that's the Wakaba I know. She's a fighter. This triple salchow is a huge problem though. And it's getting to her head. Her 3S is actually one of the most gorgeous that I've ever seen, so this is crazy. I wonder if something can be done to the choreography and the 3S placement to make it easier for her, and also remove this mental block.

Eclair

Medalist
Can I just say that the JPN ladies event was incredible, spectacular and unbelievable deep. Tech difficulty together with artistry. PCS were judged well, too. No national inflation here. UR could have been harsher in Satoko's case but apart from that was good, too.

matscol

Rinkside
Does Marin's FS video linked in the video thread run from anywhere outside the U.S.? I'm still trying to find a working copy other than one really rough quality one.