2018 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens SP

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
What I find worse anyway is Shoma's scoring. It was only in the very end of his program that he was in accordance with the music and interpreted it well. And got more than half a point more than Boyang in performance and interpretation.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Well I am fine with that but why no reward the skater who went clean, had the levels and really created a moment? Just saying that Boyang deserved to be 1st here, and Shoma not too far behind him.

Well, he was rewarded. He got his PB. But when you finish second in ranking and not first with that small amount of point difference... you can just call it a bad luck. Its a sport tho, and competitors must be rank somehow... But free will decide the winner, like it should be, i think...

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh well, regardless of the scores, so happy with this event! I had to do stand for Boyang (and Keiji), I think he's definitely improving and his jumps were great! Love Shoma, had to groan a bit at the 2T instead of the 3T, but still first! His costume is so sparkly, lol.

I wanted to cry after Elladj's skate, he's so passionate. Also really liked Brendan Kerry, and I was surprised he didn't break 80 (but apparently it's the first of a few surprisingly low scores). Also enjoyed Julian from Malaysia, Denis Ten (I was so happy after his skate.

Mura is pretty eye-catching in person. I didn't expect that. Too bad about the popped 4T.

So glad you're having a good time. Now go out and search for skaters! :love::luv17:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
total randomizer and I know this is only SP, but I'm amazed how You guys are able to predict that Misha would be outside of top 5, while I got him at 3rd in mine predictions...:hopelessness:, You've got to have some mind superpowers, I swear

frida80

Record Breaker
And 4CC skaters still did better overall. Top 7 here got higher score than Mikhail who was 4th at Euros.

4CC has stronger men in general. Last year was had 5 out of 6 of the top ranked men. Even in an olympic year, it still has solid competitors. It’s awesome.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
4CC has stronger men in general. Last year was had 5 out of 6 of the top ranked men. Even in an olympic year, it still has solid competitors. It’s awesome.

Oh yeah. But it's noteworthy that the scoring (and technical calling) was less than generous and they still scored better.

Even without the USA/CAN olympic athletes, we still have five guys on the top 12 SB's list here. :)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Oh yeah. But it's noteworthy that the scoring (and technical calling) was less than generous and they still scored better.

...and that gives a reason to smile and cry at the same time, which is :slink:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

Generally it has across all the disciplines. Its a shame cause all the best representatives are not competing there tho

Kutien

Final Flight
1Q Shoma UNO JPN100.49video
2Q Boyang JIN CHN100.17video
3Q Keiji TANAKA JPN90.68video
4Q Jason BROWN USA89.78video
5Q Han YAN CHN84.74video
6Q Max AARON USA84.15video
7Q Nam NGUYEN CAN84.09video
8Q Misha GE UZB82.27video
9Q Brendan KERRY AUS79.57video
10Q Takahito MURA JPN76.66video
11Q Denis TEN KAZ75.30video
12Q Elladj BALDE CAN75.17video
13Q Kevin REYNOLDS CAN74.65video
14Q Chih-I TSAOTPE72.57video
15Q Grant HOCHSTEIN USA70.80video
16Q June Hyoung LEE KOR69.93video
17Q Julian Zhi Jie YEEMAS68.45video
18Q Andrew DODDS AUS63.69video
19Q He ZHANG CHN63.62video
20Q Sihyeong LEE KOR62.65video
21Q Abzal RAKIMGALIEV KAZ60.77video
22Q Donovan CARRILLOMEX59.07video
23Q Geon Hyeong AN KOR56.67video
24Q Leslie Man Cheuk IPHKG53.80video
25 Micah Kai LYNETTETHA53.29video
26 Harrison Jon-Yen WONGHKG52.78video
27 Kai Xiang CHEWMAS50.92video
28 Mark WEBSTER AUS49.45video
29 Harry Hau Yin LEEHKG43.98video
30 Micah TANGTPE43.05video

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, if you judge something like the performance in PC, then a mistake on a jump can have an impact on the overall program. A 9 is maybe too high then. But as I said, it is more of a feeling that tells me there should be a larger gap between both, maybe 3 to 5 points. Blame the system or the judges for it or just my feeling.

We all have different opinions, I guess. For me, Jason’s performance level was very high overall, and the error on the 3A, though noticeable, didn’t significantly detract from it. Remember that his 3A is at the beginning, while his Stsq - which he really sells - is at the end. So that’s what the judges remember most. But in fact, his PCS here is a full point lower than his PB. So for me, personally, the marks are appropriate. And Keiji’s PCS is actually a new PB for him by almost 3 points.

frida80

Record Breaker
Generally it has across all the disciplines. Its a shame cause all the best representatives are not competing there tho

It’s true. Europeans is known as the more prestigious event, but 4CC has always been more exciting because of the depth in the fields.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
We all have different opinions, I guess. For me, Jason’s performance level was very high overall, and the error on the 3A, though noticeable, didn’t significantly detract from it. Remember that his 3A is at the beginning, while his Stsq - which he really sells - is at the end. So that’s what the judges remember most. But in fact, his PCS here is a full point lower than his PB. So for me, personally, the marks are appropriate. And Keiji’s PCS is actually a new PB for him by almost 3 points.

I understand your opinion and reasoning. I guess it is just about how important the technical content is for one and therefore how much influence it has for one to judge the overall performance. Personally I have a hard time to completely enjoy programs where the technical content I expect is not there. It can happen though. And I didn't dislike Jason's skate or so. It is only the comparison to Tanaka that bothers me a bit. The judges usually also don't distinguish much. When seeing a program with a high technical value, they also give high PC. Which is not good of course. But regarding some skaters it seems to me that judges only judge what they know about the skater without caring for the actual performance much. They know Jason is a great performer (and here, he actually performed well) and they also expect it from Shoma (which was not true for 90% of the program today). On the other hand, they know that Boyang can jump, but doesn't have the best performance. So he's judged according to it. I believe that if we had seen the exact same performances of Jason, Shoma, Keji and Boyang shown by unknown skaters, we would have gotten a totally different result. Which is not surprising of course.

nekun

On the Ice
Boyang did that after comeback from two sprained ankles , I hope 'who should not be named' watch this comp then 😂

What an inspirational program Boyang! Comeback from injury and scored PB💃

zebobes

Final Flight
I just got back from the Arena. I only was there for 1.5 groups, but I had a lot of fun cheering everyone, and I was impressed with how lively the crowd was. Lots of people from Japan, but it was fun seeing all the locals on their phone looking at the scores and schedule on the ISU website, and the guy sitting next to me was constantly refreshing Rockerskating's twitter feed.

I didn't get to see Chih-I Tsao's skate live, but I just watched a video from the local broadcaster, and I found it so heartwarming. It's awesome skating your personal best in front of the home crowd, and the announcer was so choked up, it was adorable. The female broadcaster kept asking the male announcer (who I believe is a local coach) questions, and you just hear dead silence, and when he finally tries to answer, he breaks down crying mid sentence. Even if you don't understand Chinese, I think it's still sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acSRcN6SZNs

Latremu

Final Flight
So glad you're having a good time. Now go out and search for skaters! :love::luv17:
Han yan rushed past me on the street with his hood up. Nam was having a selfie taken with a fan on the island between the large street off the arena, and I wanted a picture, but it was at really awkward place to do it.

Such fun! Thanks, Arriba and NoNameFace!

lady_bee

Medalist
Oh well, regardless of the scores, so happy with this event! I had to do stand for Boyang (and Keiji), I think he's definitely improving and his jumps were great! Love Shoma, had to groan a bit at the 2T instead of the 3T, but still first! His costume is so sparkly, lol.

I wanted to cry after Elladj's skate, he's so passionate. Also really liked Brendan Kerry, and I was surprised he didn't break 80 (but apparently it's the first of a few surprisingly low scores). Also enjoyed Julian from Malaysia, Denis Ten (I was so happy after his skate.

Mura is pretty eye-catching in person. I didn't expect that. Too bad about the popped 4T.

He is, isn't he? That's why I can't given up on him. There are skaters who look much better in person than on screen/display, and he is one of them.