2018 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens SP

nekun

On the Ice
Ssttt it should be Volde****mort, it can't be helped coz he don't like when we talk about him😂

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Han yan rushed past me on the street with his hood up. Nam was having a selfie taken with a fan on the island between the large street off the arena, and I wanted a picture, but it was at really awkward place to do it.

Such fun! Thanks, Arriba and NoNameFace!

Just be sure you have "hawk eyes"! :cool14: That's the cool thing about a competition that has fewer spectators -- better chance to get photos or autographs or whatever. And most of them are pretty nice when you want to take their picture. Sounds like maybe wasn't quite the right chance for Nam, but keep looking! I would assume that the top 3 have their post-short press conference...I wish you could get a photo of the Prince. He's so funny when he says "thank you" after you take his photo. Shouldn't it be the other way around?!...Just drink in every moment and have lots of fun! :hb: :party2:

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I just got back from the Arena. I only was there for 1.5 groups, but I had a lot of fun cheering everyone, and I was impressed with how lively the crowd was. Lots of people from Japan, but it was fun seeing all the locals on their phone looking at the scores and schedule on the ISU website, and the guy sitting next to me was constantly refreshing Rockerskating's twitter feed.

I didn't get to see Chih-I Tsao's skate live, but I just watched a video from the local broadcaster, and I found it so heartwarming. It's awesome skating your personal best in front of the home crowd, and the announcer was so choked up, it was adorable. The female broadcaster kept asking the male announcer (who I believe is a local coach) questions, and you just hear dead silence, and when he finally tries to answer, he breaks down crying mid sentence. Even if you don't understand Chinese, I think it's still sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acSRcN6SZNs

as you said.. I have no idea what they said but got chocked up just listening to the commentator. :sad4:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I didn't get to see Chih-I Tsao's skate live, but I just watched a video from the local broadcaster, and I found it so heartwarming. It's awesome skating your personal best in front of the home crowd, and the announcer was so choked up, it was adorable. The female broadcaster kept asking the male announcer (who I believe is a local coach) questions, and you just hear dead silence, and when he finally tries to answer, he breaks down crying mid sentence. Even if you don't understand Chinese, I think it's still sweet.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I just caught up. It was a wow kapow personal breakthrough smashing his personal best by 9 points, skate of his life moment. Pretty amazing to have someone finally from Taiwan to do this at 24 years old.

The commentator knows him personally and mentioned he is a very courageous kid who is still skating with an injury, so this is a special moving moment, beyond expectations and more. I love skaters overcome injuries to have great comebacks... Karen did this, Evegenia did this, Boyang did this... I hope nothing but the best for Hanyu too! Good luck you hard working lot!!

eriecold

On the Ice
I'm so so so happy for Donovan Carrillo, he qualified to the FS!!!! with a PB!!!! (he trains in my hometown).:rock:

Anyway, I didn't expect for Shoma to have such a challenge in winning this, Jin has really improved in the past couple of months.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so so so happy for Donovan Carrillo, he qualified to the FS!!!! with a PB!!!! (he trains in my hometown).:rock:

Anyway, I didn't expect for Shoma to have such a challenge in winning this, Jin has really improved in the past couple of months.

Also very pleased about Donovan.

This SP is encouraging for Boyang, who is coming off a tough injury. I'll be hoping things hold up for the LP, too.

In general, I much prefer Shoma, but I believe Boyang should have won this segment of the competition.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
He is, isn't he? That's why I can't given up on him. There are skaters who look much better in person than on screen/display, and he is one of them.

He always looked quite eye-catchy on the screen for me already, and I'm really sad I never got to see him skate live (as the only one from the current top J men). Never going to stop having a soft spot for Daddy Mura too.

That said...

:love: Boyang :love:
To think the last time we saw the kid was when he was visibly hurting and had to fight for every landing & turn in SA... and now this. Not just is it amazing to see him back healthy (and happy!), it is also striking how good this skate was. Boyang always had a good head on his shoulders and knew exactly what he needed (and wanted) to work on, and it simply puts a smile on my face to see the fruit of all that hard work so clearly. His edges have gotten better, cleaner, sharper, the quality of his steps & turns is so improved to just a year ago (and then think back two years!). Not surprised Boyang is getting his StSq level even with a stricter TP, given his new precision there. And I thought he always had musicality and he was already such a fun performer last year, but I don't think he could have pulled off something like this before. This needs maturity, depth, serenity & attack, and for me this was a risk to take in an Olympic season. But he did it, and he made it. I can't wait to see how much more this young man will grow in the years to come!
Buttom line, like the twitterverse would say: those who don't like Boyang can meet me in a parking lot ;) And that includes you, dear judges 1 & 3, giving him 7.75's in IN! :p

I really hope he pulls off a good LP too, and gets even better for the Olympics :luv17:

Latremu

Final Flight
He is, isn't he? That's why I can't given up on him. There are skaters who look much better in person than on screen/display, and he is one of them.
He really is, actually. I was watching out for Denis in that group, but my eyes went to Mura the moment he came out during the warm up, and my attention was always caught by him even when I was watching the others. That wasn't the case when I watched videos of his previous performances.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Good job Boyang Jin for that performance after coming back from ankle injury.

It was cute watching Shoma's coach and JSG lady rushing over after he came off the ice. 1st time I see the coach wasnt standing there to greet the skater and had to run over till they dropped stuff.

Olympics in men's event's going to be very interesting.

Now I'm off the find the vid of the North Korea pair. So glad they're going Olympics:)

da96103

Record Breaker
Good job Boyang Jin for that performance after coming back from ankle injury.

It was cute watching Shoma's coach and JSG lady rushing over after he came off the ice. 1st time I see the coach wasnt standing there to greet the skater and had to run over till they dropped stuff.

Olympics in men's event's going to be very interesting.

Now I'm off the find the vid of the North Korea pair. So glad they're going Olympics:)

Were you there at the rink? Are you the one holding the Malaysian flag on live stream before and after Julian skated?

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Were you there at the rink? Are you the one holding the Malaysian flag on live stream before and after Julian skated?

Noooo, of course not. Watched youtube. Havent watched Julian's SP yet, I want to know what the time violation was for.
Could have been some Msian students in Taipei though, there are some there. Those UEC students a lot of them further studies to Taiwan and Spore

Wondering what happened to Ryan Chew though, he didnt advance to FS.

Edit : Hiyaa, that's Ryan Chew, Julian's team mate . Just saw the vid. See the pass on Ryan's and the girl's neck? If you dont know what Ryan look like, search for 2017 SEA Games vids.

livetoskate

On the Ice
He really is, actually. I was watching out for Denis in that group, but my eyes went to Mura the moment he came out during the warm up, and my attention was always caught by him even when I was watching the others. That wasn't the case when I watched videos of his previous performances.

Ah, so now others can appreciate Takahito Mura. :) I am disappointed he popped that quad toe, but he also doubled it in the warm up, so that wasn't looking promising. He's done many great quad toes and even quad toe-triple toes in the past; I just hope he can still do it, being almost 27 years old. You might like this video of Mura from a little over a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3acDCUeyIA&t=4s&index=37&list=LLPo8Pz97bQ8XEkXEMd8InrQ

livetoskate

On the Ice
I just got back from the Arena. I only was there for 1.5 groups, but I had a lot of fun cheering everyone, and I was impressed with how lively the crowd was. Lots of people from Japan, but it was fun seeing all the locals on their phone looking at the scores and schedule on the ISU website, and the guy sitting next to me was constantly refreshing Rockerskating's twitter feed.

That was a very nice performance; he landed everything and did a gorgeous change edge camel. The announcer was lavishing praise on him saying that his skating was very moving, etc. I couldn't really understand most of what the coach said since he was mumbling and all choked up, with all the back ground noise, but it sounded like he did say, "He is very brave." Great skate for Tsao in front of the home crowd!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Happened to see the performance of a young Mexican skater = Donovan Carrillo and enjoyed it very much!

Uno and Jin are practically tied, the freeskate will be exciting. I really love Jin´s sp and also that of Uno...

Hopefully there will not be too many falls in the freeskate and Yan, Kerry, Mura and Aaron will rise in the results and Tanaka will be able to keep his 3rd place...

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At the beginning of this thread, I said I was going to have a cat nap in between the free dance and men’s short. Guess who forgot to set her alarm? :palmf: :bang:

Off to YouTube I go!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is this the most accurate pronunciation of Nguyen - When? They say it is only one syllable.

Vietnamese is a monosyllabic language, so "nwhen" (an "n" sound before "when") is a very good approximation of the correct pronunciation of Nguyen for non-Vietnamese speakers.