Alexander Majorov out of the Olympics | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Alexander Majorov out of the Olympics

Spinning

On the Ice
Money that's being spent on one olympic athlete COULD actually be used to at least fund a few more Kids into doing what they like. that's why the General public is pretty accepting of those practices, in my opinion.

It COULDN'T and also SHOUDN'T. IOC send out big funds for different purposes to its members each year. Budget for Olympic preparation can not be relegate to use as sport development in any cases. The budget to develop the young athletes are already big part of the yearly funds.

I guess there are more to the story than public acknowledge. I feel sorry for him either way!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He was 20-21 years old when he said that. It is unexcusable behavior for an adult athlete. It truly shows what kind of character he is and it's disgusting. It's a wonder they let him go to Sochi after that, especially since Sweden isn't even his original country...

I thought but I cannot be certain that those events took place when he was 19. Not that it’s an excuse, but if he is never to receive forgiveness, we need to get the facts straight before sending him to the gallows. And I’m not certain of what those facts are.

Personally, I hope for grace when I make an error. As such, I can’t see withholding it forever from someone else. Individual opinions on this obviously differ.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, Yuna Kim won the OGM when she was nineteen and encouraged the Youth Olympics skaters, while being an inspiration for her entire nation. Korea did very little to help her in her early career and yet she stepped it up and skated such that no one could say no to her. This guy calls his entire "federation" the N-word, while smooching off their money and support. I think this is pretty typical behavior of the Russian youth nowadays, and it's disgusting. It's very similar to the contemptuous, angry and inappropriate behavior of the crowd in Sochi.

Also, I have read the things Krasnozhon posts on Vkontakte (in Russian) and it's also pretty disgusting. He uses a lot of swear words and while he hasn't openly dissed the U.S. like Majorov dissed Sweden, there are some very angry/angsty undertones with hints of clear preference for Russia over the country he is milking for its sponsorship, money, and coaches.

The use of the N-word baffles me - as a racist slur, it makes no sense the way he used it. I wonder if the pervasiveness of American culture-specifically rap music - has led to usage among youth in Europe and other places. Someone else posted that it’s turning up in Iceland, of all places.

The only time I hear that ugly phrase nowadays in America is in that music. I wonder about Europe and Asia.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I see your point, Arkapasso, and it's refeshing to see a different opinion. A debate forum without a debate...:palmf:

I agree with you that the Olympics is a big exercise of vanity, a window to the world for the host country to show how good they are and attract investors, tourists and good reputation (it's a expensive PR investment), a nationalistic feeling of pride for the participants countries (who got more gold medals?) and a big business for TV Channels. But somewhere among all those national inflated egos and insterests, are the athletes, their efforts and struggles, their fair play (when they do), their talent and the real hope for most of us, the fans, to enjoy their performances, and to celebrate that everybody did the best they could. It's not a demonstration, it's a competition so we celebrate the winner, knowing that there can only be a winner because there were other contenders. It's inspirational for young, and not so young, people.

The problem with Majorov's decision is that the effect hurts an athlete that has earned, with years of effort, the olympic spot, that is a good skater and there is no other contender. The lack of medals options doesn't mean that he lacks talent or that he can't make the fans enjoy with his preformances or even inspire the public in general or the younger generations in particular.

NOC is, of course, in its right to decide who sends to the olympics representing its country and to establish its own rules. And I'm sure they put those rules in place for a good reason but, when the effects of those rules do not avoid the nasty part of the Olympics (vanity) and hurts the worthy part of it (merit) for no good reason, we complain, in the hope that they think about those rules and check if they are getting the effects they want.

About what the general public value the most, I really don't know. I like to see the increase in the number of athletes of my country, that means that we are improving our levels. Most of them are not in the top but it gives experience to the younger ones for future competitions and to the olders if they continue linked to the sport as coaches. But, being honest, the increase in the numbers I feel really proud of, is the number of athletes my country send to Paralympic Games. For me, that says a lot more about my country than the gold medals that we can get (if we can get any).

Finally, about all those comments suggesting that he should sue NOC, I can't think how anything good can came out of it. As far as I know, it's not a problem of discrimination or dirty interests. It's just a general rule that, in many opinions (mine included), maybe is not suited for all particular cases.
We, FS fans, tend to feel as "our" any skater from any country that we like and, of course, we have strong opinions about them and their FEDs and NOCs but the truth is that the only relevant opinion here is the swede people's opinion who support their athletes, because their skaters represent them at the Olympics.

I wish good luck to Majorov. I don't know if it will be of any help, but I signed the petition. If the NOC doesn't change its mind, at least he knows he's got a lot of support around the world!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The use of the N-word baffles me - as a racist slur, it makes no sense the way he used it. I wonder if the pervasiveness of American culture-specifically rap music - has led to usage among youth in Europe and other places. Someone else posted that it’s turning up in Iceland, of all places.

The only time I hear that ugly phrase nowadays in America is in that music. I wonder about Europe and Asia.

Used in rap music though it is about reclaiming the word and stripping it of it's power. That is why it okay for AAs to use it but not those of us who are not. We made it an insult, we used it to put them down and keep them in line. It's usage for those purposes has a long and painful history.

I err on the side that it is NEVER okay for me, as a white woman, to use this word in any context at any time.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
AND Why should Majorov be kept out of the Olympics for something that happened 8 years ago? Was it bratty? Yes. Do we keep everyone who has ever done a bratty thing out of the Olympics? Sheesh.. we'd have to keep out a lot of folks then.

Used in rap music though it is about reclaiming the word and stripping it of it's power. That is why it okay for AAs to use it ...

I disagree. Don't say it, period. Whoever you are. What would we think if Barack Obama went about saying, n----- this and n----- that?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

From what I can tell, it is only white people that find that word offensive nowadays in Europe. Black people use it all the time to refer to themselves and to each other. They use it as a term of endearment. (Probably due to the way it is used by American rappers).

But to a white person, it is the ultimate insult. And if they hear somebody using it, it is akin to murder.

This contradiction confuses even me. And I am a native English speaker.

So, is it any wonder that a non-native English speaker would be confused?

And that is the crux of this matter. English is not Sasha's first language. Hey, Swedish isn't even his first language. He is from a Russian family, and Russian culture and attitudes are different to European culture and attitudes.

Miss Ice mentioned about Krasnozhon also saying things that were not acceptable. Well, he is in the exact same position. Russian culture and attitudes being different from American culture and attitudes.

The thing I find disturbing is the way Miss Ice sees this as a sign that they would prefer to be competing for Russia. No it doesn't. It is merely a sign that they are keeping in touch with their own culture.

Integrating into a new culture and keeping in touch with your own culture do not have to be mutually exclusive. You can take the best of both. It is working out exactly what is the best of each that can be tricky for immigrants.

So, let's not have them hung drawn and quartered over something that is contradictory even to the native speakers.

Instead we should educate them.

CaroLiza_fan (who doesn't use the word we are discussing)

Caustica

Final Flight
From what I can tell, it is only white people that find that word offensive nowadays in Europe. Black people use it all the time to refer to themselves and to each other. They use it as a term of endearment. (Probably due to the way it is used by American rappers).

But to a white person, it is the ultimate insult. And if they hear somebody using it, it is akin to murder.

This contradiction confuses even me. And I am a native English speaker.

So, is it any wonder that a non-native English speaker would be confused?

And that is the crux of this matter. English is not Sasha's first language. Hey, Swedish isn't even his first language. He is from a Russian family, and Russian culture and attitudes are different to European culture and attitudes.

Miss Ice mentioned about Krasnozhon also saying things that were not acceptable. Well, he is in the exact same position. Russian culture and attitudes being different from American culture and attitudes.

The thing I find disturbing is the way Miss Ice sees this as a sign that they would prefer to be competing for Russia. No it doesn't. It is merely a sign that they are keeping in touch with their own culture.

Integrating into a new culture and keeping in touch with your own culture do not have to be mutually exclusive. You can take the best of both. It is working out exactly what is the best of each that can be tricky for immigrants.

So, let's not have them hung drawn and quartered over something that is contradictory even to the native speakers.

Instead we should educate them.

CaroLiza_fan (who doesn't use the word we are discussing)

Responding to your point that the use of the word is "contradictory even to the native speakers". To me, it is not in any way contradictory. Traditionally it has been used as a slur by white people against black people, and in recent years black people have taken ownership of the slur amongst themselves - they have changed the meaning of the word when they use it, in order to stand strong against their shared history of oppression. But it is only not-insulting when black people use it amongst themselves. It is still an insult to them if white people use it. If white people use it, there is no confusion about the fact that it's an insult - it is unequivocally unacceptable.

Jedi

On the Ice
Kind of sad. While happy for Michael - he gets a second chance - even though he was kind of why the Phillipines lost a spot now he gets to go. Majorov is significantly better but such is life.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Kind of sad. While happy for Michael - he gets a second chance - even though he was kind of why the Phillipines lost a spot now he gets to go. Majorov is significantly better but such is life.

Yeah, Martinez was VERY nervous during Nebelhorn trophy and performed below par. Below his usual level.
Even his performance during SEA games one or two months before was better.

lurkz2

On the Ice

It was Michael's spot to win or lose anyway since he's basically the Philippine team nowadays.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was Michael's spot to win or lose anyway since he's basically the Philippine team nowadays.

Yep and he lost it. But with a bit of luck he's in the olympics. Happy for him and them the rules so to speak but you think of Brown, Voronov, Minor, even Nam who lost so close and maybe a bit controversially, the talented Japanese men - so many talented skaters not going to olympics

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't believe Sweden actually did that to Alexander! What a bunch of jerks! Considering the state of the men in Russia if I were him I'd move back there stat (is he Russian? Or Ukrainian?) At the very least I'd totally find another country because clearly Sweden couldn't care less about him.

I am happy for MCM though, it's good to see the South East Asian countries been represented in the Olympics, I hope he hasn't eased up on his training too much since Nebelhorn though!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I can't believe Sweden actually did that to Alexander! What a bunch of jerks! Considering the state of the men in Russia if I were him I'd move back there stat (is he Russian? Or Ukrainian?) At the very least I'd totally find another country because clearly Sweden couldn't care less about him.

I am happy for MCM though, it's good to see the South East Asian countries been represented in the Olympics, I hope he hasn't eased up on his training too much since Nebelhorn though!

Russian, as far as I know. Sasha was born in St. Petersburg, and although I don't know his parents' family backgrounds, I do know that when his Dad was skating, he trained there with Mishin. (2006 Interview with Alexander Senior)

The problem is that Sasha is getting to that age where skaters think about retiring. So, given that there would be an embargo period to go through, I'm not sure that many countries with the funding he deserves would be interested in him. They would prefer to have a youngster that will be around for the long haul.

Like you, I'm delighted that Michael Christian Martinez is getting the opportunity to go to another Olympics. Having him and Anne-Line Gjersem competing in Sochi did a huge amount for popularising the sport in the Philippines. So, I am sure Martinez returning for a second Olympics will give it a further boost.

It's just a pity the way it happened.

CaroLiza_fan

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Sasha was born in St.Petersburg but has lived in Sweden since he was 1 year old.

I congratulate MCM, its great for him :D

The Philippines Olympic Committee knows how to support their athletes something SOC obvioulsy doesn't

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm very sad for Alexander. I'm trying to understand and be respectful of the different way of thinking the Swedish Olympic Committee used to make its decision. But I'd be lying if I say I don't disagree with them. As others have mentioned, I think it doesn't just hurt Alexander personally, it also hurts the sport of figure skating in Sweden. I'm wondering if this "top 8 or don't go" target is why Joshi Helgesson retired. She had been struggling the past few years, so that might not be it, of course.

Anyway the main reason I bring up this thread at this point was because of some of the "tourist" talk earlier and that some countries only want to send serious contenders to the Olympics and not "tourists." I get that is their right to act that way. But I don't think of a skater who skated nearly an entire FP with a bloody nose as a tourist.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alexander+majorov+bloody+nose

Sorry I know this one's a little icky, but I just felt I had to at least give Alexander his props for that.

I wish him well and hope that he is successful whether he continues to skate or pursues something else.