China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

China Will Not Host ISU Events in 2018-19

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's 2 Chinese judges who were under investigation. The slide shown last week during Disciplinary Commission report to Congress indicated "Chen" and "Huang" as the two cases pending (and whose decision was expected to be taken in Seville).
Chen and Huang are the surnames of the Chinese judges in Men and Pairs event at Olympics. The slides didn't indicate the first names, so I am not 100% sure it's them but it is possible it is them.

The Olympic Men's judge was Weiguang CHEN and the Pairs judge was Feng HUANG.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Finland was a nice worlds host and they also tend to have pretty good production value with Finlandia Trophy. Would be nice seeing a GP one day in Finland, if only for one season.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I really, REALLY hope South Korea takes the offer. It’s going to be awesome finally seeing a lot of Korean skaters get some recognition.

Early host pick predictions (sorry I want this real bad :laugh:):

Pairs and Ice Dance are obvious.
For Mens, Junhwan Cha and June Hyoung Lee will for sure get spots. As for the third spot, it might go to Jinseo if he did decide to come out of retirement after all. If not, then probably Sihyeong Lee?
For Ladies, I say Eunsoo Lim should probably get it. Hanul Kim may also get a spot. I’m just not sure about Dabin Choi though. She’s #1 at the moment and is loved by many especially after the Olympics, but she’s already guaranteed a spot based on SB and will very likely get a 2nd spot anyway. If Korea wants more skaters on the GP, then they could use the third spot on someone else (if so, please be Soyoun Park :biggrin:). On the other hand, having Dabin there may convince more people to go watch.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Kazakhstan would be good too. They did well at the Universiade and it would help build interest in the sport. Would Singapore be an option? And maybe a South American country some time.
Please note that I don't think all these countries should have a GP at the same time, but they are the countries I thought of first.
Almaty's arena is so pretty.

frida80

Record Breaker
One week this off season, there won't be bomb shell news. Because it's been back to back so far.

Eclair

Medalist
I cannot think of another reason to 'not be able to host all events this year' other than a conflict between fed and ISU.

Chinese fed have enough funding to host those events. They also have enough venues, even if one is under renovation.

Seriously, they are bringing their kindergarden conflicts to the international stage....

The Chinese judge was so stupidly obvious in his/her judging. Do other judges have a clear and obvious national bias? Yes of course. But they don't make it so obvious and so stupid at the same time. The ISU could not overlook it, at least in men's.

But the most probable is, that it's not about figure skating, since if it were, HongBo would be the last one to resort to this kind of protest. If it's about speed skating, great, but why pull figure skating into this mess? :(

And the Italians were just as evenly robbed in speed skating, but I don't see them boycotting events...

don't get me wrong, the ISU is corrupt and biased in figure skating, therefore I applaud every protest. But since I think this isn't even about figure skating, this is just dumb.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Also, does this mean Vancouver will be hosting both a JGP and the JGPF in the same season? I just got lucky twice there :yay:

Izabela

On the Ice
I really don't think this is about the controversy regarding the speed skating event during the Olympics, since they would have protested early on if it's the case. It's actually more possible that it's a reaction to ISU's decision regarding the Chinese judge, since although the bias was obvious, this can be construed to simply ISU singling out China when other countries are also over scoring their own skaters. Whatever it is, I do hope CSA know what they are doing and will not go too far as to unintentionally sabotaging their skaters' chances this season. (And also COC is generally a fun GP event, with major hiccups here and there. We don't want it gone forever)

On the other hand, I also do hope KSU accepts this offer, for the sake of their own skaters. They need those spots, KSU!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I really don't think this is about the controversy regarding the speed skating event during the Olympics, since they would have protested early on if it's the case. It's actually more possible that it's a reaction to ISU's decision regarding the Chinese judge, since although the bias was obvious, this can be construed to simply ISU singling out China when other countries are also over scoring their own skaters. Whatever it is, I do hope CSA know what they are doing and will not go too far as to unintentionally sabotaging their skaters' chances this season. (And also COC is generally a fun GP event, with major hiccups here and there. We don't want it gone forever)

On the other hand, I also do hope KSU accepts this offer, for the sake of their own skaters. They need those spots, KSU!

Apparently speed skating events have been cancelled/moved too though, so it could be about the speed skating, or both together.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The men's judge put Boyang first on both SP and LP.

http://skatingscores.com/2018/oly/men/short/tss/
http://skatingscores.com/2018/oly/men/long/tss/

As for the pairs judge apparently it was the only blind person in the arena who didnt think S&M were the clear winner on the final:

http://skatingscores.com/2018/oly/pairs/long/tss/

Oh wow. The Chinese judge scored Boyang ~23 points higher than his overall score in the FS. That seems like a lot even for national biased judging.

Izabela

On the Ice
Apparently speed skating events have been cancelled/moved too though, so it could be about the speed skating, or both together.

If the beef is against ISU in general, then it only makes sense to cancel all events under its auspices. OTOH, it isn't enough reason for me to believe that it has to do with the speed skating controversy, since that isn't really an unusual thing to happen in this particular sport. It's too difficult to speculate at this point, so I wouldn't rule anything out, but to cancel all ISU events because of what happened during the Olympics would be too much of a move by CSA, in my opinion. :drama:

Eclair

Medalist
Oh wow. The Chinese judge scored Boyang ~23 points higher than his overall score in the FS. That seems like a lot even for national biased judging.

not really if you consider that the US judge placed hanyu 5th and Nathan 1rst. But she scored smarter and not as dumb as the Chinese judge

Kara

Final Flight
I really hope it's not because of the speed skating controversy as those types of things happen all the time (one reason why I'll never get into that sport) and it would be simply poetry if they pull out because of what happened in Pyeongchang...only for Korea to get a GP and an opportunity to have more skaters on the GPS. Balance, I do not see.

NaVi

Medalist
I can't remember what was said exactly, but at the last congress I think there was some plea from someone at a smaller federation that they should get more judging opportunities and a response from one of the major federations amounted to something like "get better and you'll get more judging opportunities".

You know, this situation could have been avoided by having judges at the Olympics who have have less skin in the game... whether or not it would actually improve judging it would reduce potential drama.

And I'm unsure if the proposal passed to increase the number of judges at major events passed, but that could also potentially help by reducing the effectiveness of skewing scores.

Frankly, I would honestly prefer a random drawing of past competitors than the drawing of countries(which isn't entirely random IIRC), the country selects their representative, and then another random drawing at the event. Let past grand prix competitors judge the grand prix... past grand prix final competitors judge the grand prix final... past euros competitors judge euros... past worlds competitors judge worlds... etc.