2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
IIRC Emmy Ma also only have Triple-double last year on her first JGP and end up in bronze...and back then it was in a stack field (with Eun soo Lim I think and with a +/-3 GOE). It could be a good strategic (though very risky) to land all the jumps and be artistic than to have jumps that the skaters aren’t comfortable with.

It was in Latvia, where she faced Panenkova (1st), Kihira (2nd), and Fedichkina (4th)
That's a good strategy until you get left behind, in my opinion, and Emmy is definitely left behind without even a 3T

frida80

Record Breaker
Not sure if this is OT but shout out to Tom Z and Tammy Gambill.

Both Yi Christy Leung and You Young looked really solid in Bratislava, improved on pretty much everything compared to last season, much more consistent (really impressive considering we are still in August) and they also both had good programs, well choreographed.

It's not really. As of right now, Tammy and Tom have a good number of US ladies. Mirai, Karen, Ting, Brynne, and Audrey. I'm very hopeful for this partnership. Everyone knows that Tom is good at teach jumps and Tammy is good producing artistic skaters. What this competition showed is how it may positive affect other skaters in their team. Ting is skating next week, so I'm eager to see what the coaching team has done for her.

frida80

Record Breaker
I was in a meeting during the FS and am catching up now. I'm not looking forward to this program so I'm procrastinating.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
She seems pretty trained - it’s the programs that are bad.

The programs are duds for sure. She did seem really disconnected from the music but then again the cuts were as bad as the choreo. Especially The Lion King. She deserves better material for sure.

frida80

Record Breaker
Why the facepalm?

Pooja has such nice posture and elegant lines. Why would anyone chose the Lion King?

It's a pet peeve of mine. When many skaters want to take it up a notch, they find new coaches and also pay for an elite choreographer for a high quality program. Sometimes choreographers phone it in And give skaters programs that don't suit them at all. Thus defeating the whole purpose of going to them. It's really disappointing when it happens to a young skater like Pooja that still hasn't made her mark. She deserved better.

frida80

Record Breaker
Exactly my feelings. That program would be bad on anyone but on Pooja, it was such an extreme mismatch.

I really don't understand. Her style matches so many classical pieces easily. Did he pick these pieces because he though since she was junior she'd have fun with them? There's such a disconnect with her style and the music and choreography chosen.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Pooja has such nice posture and elegant lines. Why would anyone chose the Lion King?
It's not the music that was the problem. The choreography didn't fit the music and it didn't fit Pooja. The program looked as if it was put together very lazily. She deserves better, because her elements were great.

andromache

Record Breaker
How do you know how much money she spends on costumes and training?

So I have no idea what Bluediamonds09 is specifically talking about - my assumption was that he/she was making an assumption/inference based on Pooja's gorgeous costumes versus her relatively weak results and/or programs.

Anyway, I just rewatched Pooja's SP and LP, and seriously, she has what are generally quality elements. Her spins slow down a bit toward the end and she needs to watch the levels on her footwork, but the jumps are good, and they are rotated. But these programs are BAD. Scott Brown has done her a serious disservice. Music cuts, choreo, it's all bad. I would take a regular warhorse any day with regular generic lyrical choreo. These programs are bad - give me Lori Nichol genericism any day.

skatenewbie

Medalist
that 3F-3T by Pooja was nice! Sadly she can't do that in SP since 3F is solo jump and her 3Lz is not as reliable. She could do 2A-3T and do a 7 triple layout rather than repeat 3T but with one as solo jump. Also she didn't do a 3Lo yesterday, is she having a problem with it?

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's such a disconnect with her style and the music and choreography chosen.

I have to agree. She seemed as though she had no connection to the music at all. The music is just so bland to me, no emotional impact at all.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Courtney definitely skating to The Nutcracker. I think she can do it. She’ll have great choreography, just like for La Califfe. If only someone would fix those jumps.