2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

frida80

Record Breaker
The first half of the program was not good. The second half felt a lot better. Not sure if I'm blaming Scott Brown, Pooja's nerves (she seemed nervous, IMO), or maybe Alex O.? Her programs at US Nationals last year seemed much stronger artistically. Maybe the LP will be better - I hope so.

I do blame Scott. S&D is a well known piece and with someone like Pooja he should have come up with something much better. I think she handled her nerves well, but this program isn't good. The first half has to be fixed.
I hope the LP is better as well.

macy

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LwA-RkYY-c

The US junior ladies are off to a great start this season with Pooja Kalyan's clean debut on the JGP. She's in 6th after the SP, but it's a pretty stacked field, and her content is a little less impressive than some of the top contenders (3T-3T combo). But her skating has a lot of power. She should be in the final group for the LP. If she skates well there, I'm hoping USFS will give her a second assignment. Even if she doesn't have a chance at JGP final, the experience of an extra JGP event could be very valuable.

technically it was good but artistically, pretty lackluster.

i also remember her artistry being better at nationals. hopefully she and her team know where they need to take it up a notch.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
“Experience” is quickly becoming a warhorse.Mariah is using it as a part of her lp. At least she’s pairing it with something else........by the same composer. Liunaldi(?)
Oh well.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Einaudi actually and think it’s a great fit for Mariah but Celine Dion. Not sure about that. I’ll keep an open mind though...I like being wrong about initial reactions when it comes to this stuff.

just wondering

On the Ice
I do blame Scott. S&D is a well known piece and with someone like Pooja he should have come up with something much better. I think she handled her nerves well, but this program isn't good. The first half has to be fixed.
I hope the LP is better as well.

I have seen both programs and found that neither fully captures what made Pooja remarkable at Nationals last season. My hope is that it's a function of time and that the programs grow to suit her special skill set. As of now, they do not enhance or build on last season's success, which is unfortunate because her individual elements are looking quite strong!

frida80

Record Breaker
I have seen both programs and found that neither fully captures what made Pooja remarkable at Nationals last season. My hope is that it's a function of time and that the programs grow to suit her special skill set. As of now, they do not enhance or build on last season's success, which is unfortunate because her individual elements are looking quite strong!

:palmf:

Unbelievable. A choreographer should always try to find music, styles, and choreography that shows the skater in the best light. Yesterday showed a complete lack of attention to all of those.

Maybe she should switch back to last years and tweak those instead.

andromache

Record Breaker
:palmf:

Unbelievable. A choreographer should always try to find music, styles, and choreography that shows the skater in the best light. Yesterday showed a complete lack of attention to all of those.

Maybe she should switch back to last years and tweak those instead.

She's a junior and she's learning. I'm relatively content for her to "struggle" against programs that don't suit her for a season in order to extend her artistic range so that she'll be better developed in the long run.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Agreed. There are good qualities about her but the SP didn't do much to showcase where she shines. It was actually a bit boring to be honest.

Aside from the program I hope they work with her on her power and speed. She's not leaving a very big impression on the ice as of right now. More speed across the ice, better attack/power into her jumps, and of course better vehicles to showcase the things she does do well should help her stand out. I haven't seen the FS yet but hopefully it will an improvement.

georgia

On the Ice
I am trying to bring a post without success. It’s an article on USFS about Two skaters programs. Maybe another poster will have a better luck. it’s allanout Karen and Bell.

macy

Record Breaker
I am trying to bring a post without success. It’s an article on USFS about Two skaters programs. Maybe another poster will have a better luck. it’s allanout Karen and Bell.

not sure if this is what you were referring to, i found it linked in the Champs Camp thread on Mariah and Courtney:

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...or-new-quad-courtney-hicks-leaps-to-altitude/

Mariah's short was choreographed by Adam Rippon and her free skate was done by Shae-Lynn.

Courtney is now coached by Kori Ade. She is keeping her short from last year and is on her second free skate for this year-- she first had a tango, then right before CC they dropped it for the Nutcracker.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

not sure if this is what you were referring to, i found it linked in the Champs Camp thread on Mariah and Courtney:

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...or-new-quad-courtney-hicks-leaps-to-altitude/ ...

No big whoop, but the Mariah/Courtney article was posted yesterday on the previous page of this thread.

And (ICYMI) the Karen article with Lynn Rutherford's reporting from Champs Camp was posted on Wednesday in this thread:

Thanks to Lynn for the articles. :thank:

ETA:

Ashley W is moving to Boston.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm3g-wTHpIQ/?taken-by=ashwagner2010 (Aug 24)​

macy

Record Breaker

frida80

Record Breaker
She's a junior and she's learning. I'm relatively content for her to "struggle" against programs that don't suit her for a season in order to extend her artistic range so that she'll be better developed in the long run.

I disagree. This first year is about making a strong impression internationally. Once you've established yourself, then you can take more time to explore.

It's really tough for juniors on their first year. They're still learning the stress of competing internationally. Which is why programs they are comfortable and confident can help out with that stress. Also the selection for JW is now going to emphasize international results. Those PCS points could make the difference.

andromache

Record Breaker
I disagree. This first year is about making a strong impression internationally. Once you've established yourself, then you can take more time to explore.

It's really tough for juniors on their first year. They're still learning the stress of competing internationally. Which is why programs they are comfortable and confident can help out with that stress. Also the selection for JW is now going to emphasize international results. Those PCS points could make the difference.

Some hard work now will make her stronger in the long run. Having a junior revert back to old programs because her new ones don't suit her perfectly is a little ridiculous. She's still developing, and going back to older, more "comfortable" programs is the easy way out. With her technical content, she's not in danger of going to the JGP final or medaling at Junior Worlds (and given the general state of the US ladies, I don't think PCS points will make the difference between who goes to Junior Worlds or not - it'll be about consistent technical performance).

Her team could've done her a service by getting her good, suitable programs to begin with, but they didn't. Now, I think they're better off keeping these than going backwards.

frida80

Record Breaker
Some hard work now will make her stronger in the long run. Having a junior revert back to old programs because her new ones don't suit her perfectly is a little ridiculous. She's still developing, and going back to older, more "comfortable" programs is the easy way out. With her technical content, she's not in danger of going to the JGP final or medaling at Junior Worlds (and given the general state of the US ladies, I don't think PCS points will make the difference between who goes to Junior Worlds or not - it'll be about consistent technical performance).

Her team could've done her a service by getting her good, suitable programs to begin with, but they didn't. Now, I think they're better off keeping these than going backwards.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. USFS decides who gets international placements and who's worth investing. If her PCS score is low now, they'll press her to fix it during the season. That's a terrible thing because PCS scores are hard to fix. It takes years to improve skating skills but good choreography can boost it faster. I'll bet after this competition her coach gets "advice" from the higher ups. This never goes well. Kaitlyn Nyugen struggled greatly after getting low balled with her first JGP. This lead to a worse 2nd JGP, where she struggle to emote while her jumps crumble. By nationals she'd dumped her coach, gotten injured, and her jumps were much weaker. In my opinion, she pushed herself too much to fix her PCS scores and it lead her into disaster.

Next year Pooja be lucky to get a JGP at all. The novices are looking really strong. Nationals won't go well, as judges take cues from international competitions to score skaters. If she moves up to senior, it's unlikely she's going to get a GP slot. She's going to end up in CS purgatory, unless she can dramatically change her performance next year and convince USFS to give her another chance.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think it's ridiculous at all. USFS decides who gets international placements and who's worth investing. If her PCS score is low now, they'll press her to fix it during the season. That's a terrible thing because PCS scores are hard to fix. It takes years to improve skating skills but good choreography can boost it faster. I'll bet after this competition her coach gets "advice" from the higher ups. This never goes well. Kaitlyn Nyugen struggled greatly after getting low balled with her first JGP. This lead to a worse 2nd JGP, where she struggle to emote while her jumps crumble. By nationals she'd dumped her coach, gotten injured, and her jumps were much weaker. In my opinion, she pushed herself too much to fix her PCS scores and it lead her into disaster.

Next year Pooja be lucky to get a JGP at all. The novices are looking really strong. Nationals won't go well, as judges take cues from international competitions to score skaters. If she moves up to senior, it's unlikely she's going to get a GP slot. She's going to end up in CS purgatory, unless she can dramatically change her performance next year and convince USFS to give her another chance.

This is her first international assignment and she's a total unknown. Her PCS felt a little low, but not egregiously so. We haven't even seen her LP. As long as she skates with some consistency and grows into the program over time, she'll be fine. Having a reputation leads to PCS, and right now Pooja has no reputation. (It's really only the bits of arm choreography that are outright BAD - Pooja herself has decent skating skills and overall presence, unlike Kaitlyn Nguyen a few years ago).

I will say - it is unfortunate that USFS didn't have the juniors Champs Camp earlier, as I am sure Pooja would've benefited. I just think that switching back to old programs has the strong potential to undermine a skater's development and confidence moving forward - there has to be a willingness to take risks and push forward into new territory.

There are pros and cons to each side, I'll give you that, and if Pooja starts getting pressured to earn higher PCS instantly, that won't be good. But I don't think any US lady who can consistently rotate and land her jumps (including a 3-3 or two) needs to worry about CS purgatory. I do hope that she is working on getting a 3F-3T or 3Lz-3T by next season.

frida80

Record Breaker
This is her first international assignment and she's a total unknown. Her PCS felt a little low, but not egregiously so. We haven't even seen her LP. As long as she skates with some consistency and grows into the program over time, she'll be fine. Having a reputation leads to PCS, and right now Pooja has no reputation. (It's really only the bits of arm choreography that are outright BAD - Pooja herself has decent skating skills and overall presence, unlike Kaitlyn Nguyen a few years ago).

I will say - it is unfortunate that USFS didn't have the juniors Champs Camp earlier, as I am sure Pooja would've benefited. I just think that switching back to old programs has the strong potential to undermine a skater's development and confidence moving forward - there has to be a willingness to take risks and push forward into new territory.

There are pros and cons to each side, I'll give you that, and if Pooja starts getting pressured to earn higher PCS instantly, that won't be good. But I don't think any US lady who can consistently rotate and land her jumps (including a 3-3 or two) needs to worry about CS purgatory. I do hope that she is working on getting a 3F-3T or 3Lz-3T by next season.

Kaitlyn had the advantage of being 13. If she had been left to her own devices she could've improved. Now she hasn't competed at all this year. Pooja is 15. She's going be sidelined for younger skaters and over shadowed rapidly.

CS purgatory is a danger now that getting in the top 24 is so hard. If she can't do that she as at the mercy of USFS. If they don't think she will make a mark, they'll ignore her. Especially if she doesn't have the scores to justify prioritizing her over other skaters.

Her choreography is overall bad. It's most the lack of choreography and what's left are awkward arm movement that make her look terrible. It's complete miss. I don't think there's any fixing it. Because of that, I don't think she'll gets second spot.

andromache

Record Breaker
Kaitlyn had the advantage of being 13. If she had been left to her own devices she could've improved. Now she hasn't competed at all this year. Pooja is 15. She's going be sidelined for younger skaters and over shadowed rapidly.

CS purgatory is a danger now that getting in the top 24 is so hard. If she can't do that she as at the mercy of USFS. If they don't think she will make a mark, they'll ignore her. Especially if she doesn't have the scores to justify prioritizing her over other skaters.

Her choreography is overall bad. It's most the lack of choreography and what's left are awkward arm movement that make her look terrible. It's complete miss. I don't think there's any fixing it. Because of that, I don't think she'll gets second spot.

If USFS ignores a consistent junior lady with a 3-3 (if Pooja is consistent - we don't know yet, so this is all just speculation), they're shooting themselves in the foot. Which wouldn't totally surprise me, but still. Then again, they were happy enough to push Bradie and her Cinderella program last season, so I do think that USFS is learning that consistently rotated and landed jumps are the key, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

Kaitlyn was sidelined due to injury and weak jumps, not PCS weaknesses.

I will say that you have succeeded in persuading me that switching back to her old programs (at least for the SP) wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Or at least, the pros could outweigh the cons. I sincerely USFS will learn from this experience and host Champs Camp/juniors Champs Camp earlier in the summer to ensure that all skaters can receive feedback on their programs before they have to compete internationally with them.