2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 390 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

skatenewbie

Medalist
It’s not so unusual for her though :)
https://youtu.be/ZIsRr57IXKA?t=2m29s
i didnt said it was unusual though? i said usual... she always do that 3-3-2 in 2nd half. what i said unusual is the 3Lz+3Lo which she actually had back then but hasnt performef it for a few seasons already. Anyway Gubanova placed 3rd behund Valieva and Usacheva, not bad but not convincing enough for JGP i think. Hopefully she can get CS

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
My discomfort does not mean that it should not be used but just as they can use it I can feel uncomfortable with it.

Oh yes same for me on that.

I confess that I find the arm movements of many recent CSKA skaters excessive and out of line with the rate of movement of the legs and torso - even when the individual arm positions are lovely in themselves.

It's clearly a choreographic choice, but it's striking to see when we know Gubanova is capable of lovely soft, classic arms.

One thing i noticed from the SP is that the busy choregraphy affected her posture too, she looks sloppy during crossovers.

The FS is much better, still too much flailing in the steps sequence, i don't get why they gave her this very busy steps sequence almost Mao-like (Tarasova's influence maybe?), but at least the program looks more her cup of tea.

I've to say some of the GOEs she got were a bit ridiculous: 1.38 for the 3ltz-3t-2t is way too much, the combo felt a bit forced, with no speed and flow at the end.

Kostyuk fell on the second lutz, she finished behind, so i guess Gubanova will get the JGP spot.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Kostyuk fell on the second lutz, she finished behind, so i guess Gubanova will get the JGP spot.
These aren't the skaters that were competing for a spot. Kostyuk wasn't really in contention and a spot certainly isn't available for grabs just by being the better skater of the two.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
These aren't the skaters that were competing for a spot. Kostyuk wasn't really in contention and a spot certainly isn't available for grabs just by being the better skater of the two.

Yes, I'm really inclined to give Vasilieva and Tarakanova spots over them.

leoleo

Medalist
I knew that Liebestraum was a good choice for Gubanova! i love the FS. The sp tho... i don't know her :noshake:

leoleo

Medalist
Senior ladies' SP results, St. Petersburg Cup:
Anastasia Gulyakova 70.98
Alena Leonova 65.34
Serafima Sakhanovich 62.21
Maria Talalykina 61.68
Alisa Fedichkina 60.58

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

He applied some harsh albeit indirect critique of Eteri and Sambo. At least that's how it was translated
Knowing that some zealous people here analyze every critical word coming of Eteri's mouth I would imagine the outcry if she said something along those lines about Tursynbaeva and her experience. Anyway, Orser says that Zhenya has improved. I can hardly wait to see it with my own eyes.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
He applied some harsh albeit indirect critique of Eteri and Sambo. At least that's how it was translated
Knowing that some zealous people here analyze every critical word coming of Eteri's mouth I would imagine the outcry if she said something along those lines about Tursynbaeva and her experience. Anyway, Orser says that Zhenya has improved. I can hardly wait to see it with my own eyes.

Not sure if Sports.ru made a bigger deal about what he actually said, it wouldn't be the first time from that site but i would also not be surprised if he really wanted to throw an indirect critique.

If you look at her most recent gala program you can already see some of these improvements like trying to hold more certain positions, but on the other hand it will be interesting to see if and how her jumping technique changes.

I find all these comparisons in those interviews a bit useless, let the ice rink speaks at test skates and Russian Nationals, cause the competition there is soo tough we should already expect to see clean/cleanish programs.

leoleo

Medalist
I wonder if this Eteri vs Orser shading each other in interviews is going to continue throughout the season :laugh2: it certainly is entertaining :popcorn:

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I know how people might take that part of the interview, but I do see some sense in what Orser said about working with Medvedeva as an adult. In a lot of relationships (not just skater and coach) where one person has been the adult and one a child, it's hard to adjust to treating the younger party like an adult as they grow.

Orser never dealt with her as a child or a junior skater so he doesn't carry any of that history with her into their current interactions. It's not uncommon and not a bad thing for skaters and coaches to outgrow each other in a sport where people reach an elite level at such a young age. I always thought that was what happened with Michelle Kwan and Frank Carroll. Even though their split was as hot a topic as Medvedeva and Tutberidze, it's obvious Kwan still has a great deal of respect for Carroll. She, like Evgenia, might have just needed a change to continue to develop as a skater and a person outside of the only training environment she's ever known.

Sometimes the baby bird needs to leave the nest. It's not necessarily a negative (or shade). It's just life.

Hamonrsa

On the Ice
Here's the entire Ladies SP from 1st Stage of Saint Petersburg Cup today. Wasn't really sure which thread to put this in so sorry if it doesn't belong here. Features Nugumanova, Fedichkina, Sakhanovich, Gulyakova etc. (starting list is in first comment). I don't have time to link each individual skate. Sorry:

https://youtu.be/akgqXm9utNc

^^^As always (sadly) video quality is poor thanks to Art-Caramel's apparently ancient camera