2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 392 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I’m not gonna lie, every time there’s a new interview I’m happily grabbing my popcorn. [emoji23]
And I’m never disappointed.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Here's the entire Ladies SP from 1st Stage of Saint Petersburg Cup today. Wasn't really sure which thread to put this in so sorry if it doesn't belong here. Features Nugumanova, Fedichkina, Sakhanovich, Gulyakova etc. (starting list is in first comment). I don't have time to link each individual skate. Sorry:

https://youtu.be/akgqXm9utNc

^^^As always (sadly) video quality is poor thanks to Art-Caramel's apparently ancient camera

Good skate from Gulyakova, i hope we'll see the lutz in the short program.

Nice to see Fedichkina back, she has some work to do with the jumps but overall not too bad.

Serafima had the nicest short program, i can already see improvements in the artistry. Let's hope she holds it together in the free.

Nugumanova bombed :(

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Uhm, it seems pretty straightforward to say that at TCC, where the focus is on mature seniors the training approach is a more adult one as compared to Zhenya's previous experience in Sambo70's program which develops skaters from early ages.

Orser consistently talks about getting TCC's skaters to take responsibility for their careers and development. To have them come around to strategic thinking, and organizing their training.

This is nothing new. He's been saying this for years. He is even involved in a sports psychology practice that has a App to help skaters with visualization and motivation.

It is not throwing shade on her previous program to answer questions and explain to the Russian audience how TCC works, it's philosophy and how that might be different.

Sambo70 is a school-based program that excels in developing juniors. Brian has generally acknowledged that this is not his strength, although there is one exception.

Saying that there has been a major shift in approach for Zhenya in moving to TCC, appropriate to Zhenya's age and in line with TCC's strength is neither an 'assult' to others or demonstrating a 'hidden agenda'.

That's one of his quotes as was presented in Russian:

- У нас в клубе конкуренция тоже высока, но она несколько иная. Когда вокруг тебя много спортсменов, каждый из которых постоянно стремится быть лучше себя самого, возникает совершенно особенная атмосфера, которая, как говорится, висит в воздухе. Конкуренция заражает, но одновременно с этим она очень доброжелательная и, я бы сказал, вдохновляющая: никто не боится сделать ошибку, потому что вокруг много людей, знающих как помочь, и всегда готовых поддержать.

The gist: "we also have competition in our club but it is different. We have a special atmosphere of friendlinnes and willigness to help and support". I read: "at Sambo it is cutthroat competition with an atmosphere of rivalry and setting each other up". Well, imagine if Eteri said something like this about TCC? Let's ask Alina about atmosphere in Sambo or Trusova not Zhenya who is in a fragile emotional situation coming back to Russia after what happenned.

Giver

Rinkside
It's not shade if it's true ahah Eteri and co do pick the programs, so much so that Zhenya skated to a program she didn't like (9/11 program) and even admitted that. There's nothing wrong with it when the skaters are very young, but since Zhenya is now an adult I understand why she would want more independence as opposed to her junior peers, or even Alina who is still very very young.

Now imagine something like this:

Tutberidze: "In Canada Tursynbaeva lost her jumps and degraded in almost every aspect". Nice and non-offencive statement, right?

leoleo

Medalist
Well to be fair, Polina did allude to the atmosphere in Sambo 70 being cut throat and hard to deal with.
I'm saying this again, i'm not offended by his interview but i find it kinda funny because it is lowkey shady. All i'm hoping is that it's not just talk but we'll see results. I think that's what everybody wants to see.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yeah, I have to say that while reading the interview... Orser really expressed himself in a manner where he considers his school and system far superior. Constantly pumping his and his team's tires. I hope that they can now prove it on the ice, I'm not really fond of trash talk like this coming from a coach. They should just let the results speak for themselves. I hope that Medvedeva will be able to live up to the expectations now.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hi folks,

Just a reminder:pray:

Please keep all competition chat in the Competition forums. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, links to videos, etc. Once the event is over, feel free to discuss in other Fan Fest, national threads, etc.

Should we find that folks are still discussing competition info in these threads, said threads will be closed until after the competition.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yeah, I have to say that while reading the interview... Orser really expressed himself in a manner where he considers his school and system far superior. Constantly pumping his and his team's tires. I hope that they can now prove it on the ice, I'm not really fond of trash talk like this coming from a coach. They should just let the results speak for themselves. I hope that Medvedeva will be able to live up to the expectations now.

Exactly! I hope he realized that Evgenia has to compete with skaters that can land 3ltz-3lo or two 3-3 in the second half in a sleep, and potentially quads.

I'm worried he might start to water down the contents because of "the quality" as he did with Tursynbaeva: with 3s-3t in the SP you're not competitive in Russia.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
It's not shade if it's true ahah Eteri and co do pick the programs, so much so that Zhenya skated to a program she didn't like (9/11 program) and even admitted that. There's nothing wrong with it when the skaters are very young, but since Zhenya is now an adult I understand why she would want more independence as opposed to her junior peers, or even Alina who is still very very young.
It can be true and also shade. Well done shade should be exactly this. I’m here for all the drama!

TGee

Record Breaker
That's one of his quotes as was presented in Russian:

- У нас в клубе конкуренция тоже высока, но она несколько иная. Когда вокруг тебя много спортсменов, каждый из которых постоянно стремится быть лучше себя самого, возникает совершенно особенная атмосфера, которая, как говорится, висит в воздухе. Конкуренция заражает, но одновременно с этим она очень доброжелательная и, я бы сказал, вдохновляющая: никто не боится сделать ошибку, потому что вокруг много людей, знающих как помочь, и всегда готовых поддержать.

The gist: "we also have competition in our club but it is different. We have a special atmosphere of friendlinnes and willigness to help and support". I read: "at Sambo it is cutthroat competition with an atmosphere of rivalry and setting each other up". Well, imagine if Eteri said something like this about TCC? Let's ask Alina about atmosphere in Sambo or Trusova not Zhenya who is in a fragile emotional situation coming back to Russia after what happenned.
I do think that we need to keep in mind that it was the media outlet that provided the translation from Russian to English one expects.

And that can definitely impact the tone.

That said, Brian Orser has admitted to learning challenging lessons about working through translators with the skaters, federations and media from Asian countries. He has learned that expectations about the authority and role of coaches differs. So, he tries to be clear about what they do at TCC.

Even so, as Zhenya's primary coach he is responsible for her media strategy.

So, I agree with others that are saying that, by this point, he should have enlisted the help of Russian media expertise to advise him so that the messages that come across in that language and culture are the ones that he intended

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope that Medvedeva will be able to live up to the expectations now.

This unfortunately is territory Zhenya is accustomed to. People have called into question her training and technique for years. She’s well prepared for that noise. TBH..I don’t think a coaching change will affect her overall standing as much as losing some advantage from backloading ... not that it was that big of an advantage ;)

She’s tough though. She went into the Olympics with what appeared to be a not fully recovered injury and performed about as well as she could to take advantage of what was her best chance at the Olympics. I’ve not always liked her programs but I’ve always liked her and have continuously been amazed but how intensely she competes. The last two WC she performed were masterful!

The whole coaching stuff is something I don’t care about. I’ve been a fan of her since she was a junior and it was her personality, fight, and charm that I liked. Never cared much about the rest of the stuff.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I do think that we need to keep in mind that it was the media outlet that provided the translation from Russian to English one expects.

And that can definitely impact the tone.

That said, Brian Orser has admitted to learning challenging lessons about working through translators with the skaters, federations and media from Asian countries. He has learned that expectations about the authority and role of coaches differs. So, he tries to be clear about what they do at TCC.

Even so, as Zhenya's primary coach he is responsible for her media strategy.

So, I agree with others that are saying that, by this point, he should have enlisted the help of Russian media expertise to advise him so that the messages that come across in that language and culture are the ones that he intended

I suspect he wanted to come across exactly the way he did. Subtle enough to offend but easy to deny it was intentional and not an honest misunderstanding. I think this was strategic attempt to get Eteri emotional prior to the test skates in an attempt to throw her (and likely Alina by proxy) off her game.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Did anyone read or view the original interview with Orser in English? I was only able to trace the source to this article: https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180906/1141329480.html which is obviously the translation to Russian already. The author is Yelena Vaitsekhovskaya (a prominent figure in the local anti-Tutberidze camp). Looks like she did the interview and made the translation but didn't bother to provide the original transcript in English. So that somewhat patronizing tone and the shade of superiority over Zhenya's past coaching team migh as well have emerged during translation.

TGee

Record Breaker
I suspect he wanted to come across exactly the way he did. Subtle enough to offend but easy to deny it was intentional and not an honest misunderstanding. I think this was strategic attempt to get Eteri emotional prior to the test skates in an attempt to throw her (and likely Alina by proxy) off her game.
I would find that angle more convincing if he wasn't talking pretty much the way he has in most of the interviews about his top senior elite skaters over the past 5-6 years.

Now, if he'd changed from his usual style and messages, and then seemed to be throwing shade, then I'd have my suspicions.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone read or view the original interview with Orser in English? I was only able to trace the source to this article: https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180906/1141329480.html which is obviously the translation to Russian already. The author is Yelena Vaitsekhovskaya (a prominent figure in the local anti-Tutberidze camp). Looks like she did the interview and made the translation but didn't bother to provide the original transcript in English. So that somewhat patronizing tone and the shade of superiority over Zhenya's past coaching team migh as well have emerged during translation.

She was anti Eteri before being anti Eteri was even a thing. What gives? Did something personal take place?

I’ve never seen her but I always envision Rita Skeeter

Sugar Coated

Final Flight

He knew exactly what he was doing. And not having the original English makes it all the more easy to blame translation. I don’t think it’s coincidence that a known Eteri hater got an Orser interview right before test skates. Either Vait sought him out for the interview - which he could easily have given after test skates or chose not to participate. Or as I suspect, he sought her out.

leoleo

Medalist

that's a stretch :noshake::laugh: