2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 454 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Tarakanova was assigned to Ljubljana, while Trusova is now on the last event, along with Kanysheva.

Makes sense, Yerevan has some huge contenders. I guess they are assuming that Vasilieva will not take silver in Ostrava, so if she does, she'll have to replace Tarusina by going back to back.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I guess they are assuming that Vasilieva will not take silver in Ostrava, so if she does, she'll have to replace Tarusina by going back to back.
I have my doubts on that. Kanysheva's spot seem more at risk, being at the last event, even if she has make more points. The RusFed has choose Tarusina and confirmed her, even now with the adding of Tarakanova.
Anyway, i don't think we'll see Vasilieva score over 190, but let see.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Also there aren't any non-Russian contenders beside Kim Yelim now. So Kim Yelim's performance in Ostrava will be a key point for calculating.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I dont think we can completely rule out Nana Araki yet for the final. Though her chances have dropped substatialy with Trusova in the last event. Until we have seen her skate we can't be sure that she won't come out with two silvers

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I have my doubts on that. Kanysheva's spot seem more at risk, being at the last event, even if she has make more points. The RusFed has choose Tarusina and confirmed her, even now with the adding of Tarakanova.

Vasilieva doesn't need to score over 190 to get a second event, she just needs silver with higher than 186.68. If she gets this, it makes no sense to give Tarusina a second spot, since Vasilieva would have the same medal, a higher score, and both have CSKA advantages (they even have the same coach). The fact that both are Davydov's girls makes it easier for RusFed to substitute out one for the other, and while it's unfortunate that Vasilieva would need to compete back to back, it's not impossible. Kostornaya was fine last year doing it. And of the non-Russian girls, Hongyi Chen (China) did it and placed comparably at the two events. In fact, she was much better at the second.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think we can completely rule out Nana Araki yet for the final. Though her chances have dropped substatialy with Trusova in the last event. Until we have seen her skate we can't be sure that she won't come out with two silvers

I can't see her beating Kanysheva, though.

macy

Record Breaker
It's so sad. Proklova was pretty much the perfect skater. Flexibility, skating skills, spins, artistry. Actually, I still don't think there's anyone at her level in these categories, even after all these years. Kamila Valieva's the closest candidate, if she gets the skating skills... But it's a tall order. If you look at this step sequence for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfylNpo3iI&t=84s It still stands out.

And also, Proklova being an actual ballet dancer...

i will probably never get over proklova :cry: she really was the perfect skater; she was EVERYTHING. i'm still so devastated her career was cut short, she had SO much potential. we really didn't get enough of her.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
So, look ... In 6th event, no threat -> they can send the weaker skaters there. 7th event, Nana Araki who is a threat -> they send the stronger skaters there. Kanysheva's not in danger. She's the #1 lady for her age group and got pushed hard last season judging by domestic scoring. She also scored the highest out of every non-Eteri girl. Furthermore, Tarusina scored only 186.68, not 190. And Vasilieva can score this high for sure, if she's somewhat clean.

Vasilieva wasn't clean and scored 203.20 in Russia Cup event 1. Even if you remove choreo sequence's 4.10 points, that's 199.10. She got 29.84 and 63.76 PCS but if we assume that in JGP she receives 27 and 56 for instance, that'd still total 188.50 points. And that indeed still wasn't a clean performance for her. She lost at least 5 points for spins. Now, GOE we don't really know about but the point is, she can score 190.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Vasilieva doesn't need to score over 190 to get a second event, she just needs silver with higher than 186.68. If she gets this, it makes no sense to give Tarusina a second spot, since Vasilieva would have the same medal, a higher score, and both have CSKA advantages (they even have the same coach). The fact that both are Davydov's girls makes it easier for RusFed to substitute out one for the other, and while it's unfortunate that Vasilieva would need to compete back to back, it's not impossible. Kostornaya was fine last year doing it. And of the non-Russian girls, Hongyi Chen (China) did it and placed comparably at the two events. In fact, she was much better at the second.

So, look ... In 6th event, no threat -> they can send the weaker skaters there. 7th event, Nana Araki who is a threat -> they send the stronger skaters there. Kanysheva's not in danger. She's the #1 lady for her age group and got pushed hard last season judging by domestic scoring. She also scored the highest out of every non-Eteri girl. Furthermore, Tarusina scored only 186.68, not 190. And Vasilieva can score this high for sure, if she's somewhat clean.

Vasilieva wasn't clean and scored 203.20 in Russia Cup event 1. Even if you remove choreo sequence's 4.10 points, that's 199.10. She got 29.84 and 63.76 PCS but if we assume that in JGP she receives 27 and 56 for instance, that'd still total 188.50 points. And that indeed still wasn't a clean performance for her. She lost at least 5 points for spins. Now, GOE we don't really know about but the point is, she can score 190.
Still, we all now that Tarusina wasn't at 190 only because of that invalidated spin ( someone said that it was Davydov's fault, it's true ? ), while Vasilieva wasn't clean some days ago and that score is from a (pushed) domestic competition, so i think we better be cautious.

Let's talk about strategy, if Araki may be a threat, why put Vasilieva versus Yelim Kim AND Araki at the same time ?

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I clearly don't see RusFed as warmasters. We need to talk again about how they have throw in the water the last JWR bronze ?

They have put Vasilieva on the worst condition, while the girls they have choose ( Tarakanova and Tarusina ) have now the less competitive event.
Araki ? If Yelim Kim take the silver medal at Ostrava, with another 190+, the possibilities of an all russians final will drop considerably.

moriel

Record Breaker
I clearly don't see RusFed as warmasters. We need to talk again about how they have throw in the water the last JWR bronze ?

They have put Vasilieva on the worst condition, while the girls they have choose ( Tarakanova and Tarusina ) have now the less competitive event.
Araki ? If Yelim Kim take the silver medal at Ostrava, with another 190+, the possibilities of an all russians final will drop considerably.

oh, they are warmasters.
they just have a whole set of different interests to cater to, not just winning medals, but also keeping all the coaches happy and supported and so on.

as for all russian final, i am about 95% sure that there is some sort of agreement with ISU that does not encourage rusfed to allocate skaters in a way to make that likely. Simply because isu got to cater to other feds, not just rusfed, and nobody except for rusfed would be happy with an all russian final.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Still, we all now that Tarusina wasn't at 190 only because of that invalidated spin ( someone said that it was Davydov's fault, it's true ? ), while Vasilieva wasn't clean some days ago and that score is from a (pushed) domestic competition, so i think we better be cautious.

Let's talk about strategy, if Araki may be a threat, why put Vasilieva versus Yelim Kim AND Araki at the same time ?
On the first point, we know but I don't think how that changes anything. Then Vasilieva just would need to outscore Tarakanova, if they hold Tarusina ahead of her. The actual point still doesn't change.

On the second point, I assume it's because you need Vasilieva there now so that you know which skaters you want to have getting multiple JGP spots. And it's not very accurate to consider Vasilieva some weak skater. Vasilieva is potentially the strongest non-Eteri junior this season, after all.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
they just have a whole set of different interests to cater to, not just winning medals, but also keeping all the coaches happy and supported and so on
And that's why we can't expect them to do some choices with fair play, between the athletes, and for take all the medals and spots regardless of coaches and schools.

As much give Kanysheva a spot, because of the points, may seem obvious, we can't be sure that's what they want.

Maybe is Tarusina who risk, but why ? Because of points ? I don't think so.
I can understand if that second spot is secured for Kanysheva because of Panova, so Eteri 3, Plushy 1, Panova 1, Davydov 1, so Vasilieva vs Tarusina for that second. Still, all the setup make me think that they want to push Tarusina, regardless of Vasilieva.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Vasilieva is potentially the strongest non-Eteri junior this season, after all.
Are you that sure, even after have see her beaten by Gulyakova ? I'm not saying that she is weak, anyway, it's not my point. I just don't get all the strategy assumption and why be that calm about her versus both Yelim Kim and Araki, after have see Sinitsina beaten by the korean, because of a single mistake.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Are you that sure, even after have see her beaten by Gulyakova ?
Well, she was better than Gulyakova there in my opinion, even if Gulyakova got huge PCS ... Vasilieva still scored 198+ during last season's Russian jr nationals and defeated Gulyakova, Sinitsyna, Kanysheva, Tarakanova, Shcherbakova there, among others.

https://scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagra...78_1690576500995154_8603958420430651392_n.jpg
Looks rather green.