2018 Skate America Ladies Short Program | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Ladies Short Program

lesnar001

Record Breaker
It was clearly UR, I could see the hook in real time. In the slowmo replay you can really see it was UR(under the new rules anyway).
And that is so unfortunate because her 3Lz is so freaking beautiful and huge!!!!

I can’t speak of the Men’s event because I haven’t watched it yet but in the Ladies event I think the result is ok so far. No wuzrobbed feelings for me yet. [emoji23]

I have a serious question.

How does she manage to UR a jump that is so high.
Is is because she delays her rotation going into the jump?

Thanks.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I don’t understand. It was clearly UR. Vincent’s were clearly UR.

I think UR punishments are too harsh in the current system, granted, but the tech panel handed them out left and right in both events to everyone fairly in all three events so far.

It was clearly UR, I could see the hook in real time. In the slowmo replay you can really see it was UR(under the new rules anyway).
And that is so unfortunate because her 3Lz is so freaking beautiful and huge!!!!

Here is Tsurskaya's landing of 3T
http://i79.fastpic.ru/big/2018/1021/ab/_b904c5dcf50b0ae97dd5d146fef58fab.png
I hope you do realize that UR should be counted towards direction of a jump in the air - not towards direction of the blade on ice after landing?

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I have always given Satoko’s jumps the side eye when watching her but seeing her skating live is 100% a different experience. She commands every second she is skating and draws you in. Her jumps are not high- but they are aesthetically pleasing in other ways.

She and Kaori were significantly ahead of the rest in terms of edge quality and performance.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
How is it that Tsurskaya's 2A only gets +2/+3....

Maybe the panel assumes she underrotates everything, and she does not deserve GOE?

I think GOE should not be awarded in real time, if it is cannot be objectively separated from whether a jump has an under rotate or edge problem.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I have a serious question.

How does she manage to UR a jump that is so high.
Is is because she delays her rotation going into the jump?

Thanks.

That’s actually it. She has noticeable delay in rotation. It arguably makes her jumps even more of a joy to watch when everything goes well, but as she’s grown, it’s also been a cause of UR issues. (Karen Chen is someone who gets height but URs as well.)

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just got back from the arena in Everett :) Satoko and Marin were huge standouts for me, as for the crowd as well. Watching Satoko in particular is always such a wonderful experience; she just floats across the ice and draws the audience in. Her short program is a masterpiece and her costume is gorgeous :luv17:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
That was the best Laurine has skated in a long while, and I'm so proud of her. The 3Lz and the spins were absolutely gorgeous. She should have been ahead of Tennell.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Laurine's second 3T was called downgraded, not just underrotated, which explains why her score dropped. But level 4 on all three spins - that's a change from last season when she could hardly get one for trying! And everything bar the combination had GOE in positive integers with just the occasional 0 speckled about. Not at all bad for her first international competition of the season. Onward and upward, top 6 finish in the FS Laurine!

The elements were absolutely gorgeous. I hope she can knock a FS out of the park tomorrow. It's long overdue, and her new FS is quite lovely.

Vas-y Laurine ! [emoji632]

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Satoko and Kaori absolutely blew everyone away. So powerful, such incredible artistry from both. Satoko especially filled every moment with overwhelming emotion. Bravo.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Can you explain how the direction of a jump is determined? Upper body direction at take off? Knee? If it is not the direction of the blade.
The most reliable way for me - direction of movement of body's shadow on the ice during the jump.

I think I realize better than you how UR should be counted, actually.
Ok, explain it then, pls.

gioccia

On the Ice
What can I say... the tech panel's work was unfair... because Satoko did UR her jumps visibly... The judges scores were weird.... giving Polina -4 for that outstanding 3Lz3T is a crime to the sport! How come and UR jump is -4? Isn't that too much? Not to mention UR which are not visible in real skate...
Is it so hard to stipulate the rules and judge accordingly? Why does someone give +1 and another one giver -4... What is this?
Kaori is the real winner today.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Finished catching up. Some thoughts:

- I am still very much missing the gorgeous black dress, but damn, that girl is charming enough for me to just call her Marin. I see why some people think she's being too sweet and smiley for Seven Nation Army, and while I agree to some point, she's such a charmer that I find myself smiling along anyway. You go girl, be clean in your FS and get yourself a medal.

- Polina Tsurskaya deserved more GOE in my eyes. I get that her jumps were underrotated, but then what about that clean 2A with such great distance getting just a 0.85? And that 3Lz-3T was huge, couldn't she get better than -0.34? Since I'm no tech expert I'll just stop here, but I did enjoy her jumps and the program overall, it was so nice to see her not close to tears after her skate. Oh, and I loved her dress.

- I did not expect Sofia Samodurova to be in the top 3, but she was very much clean without any URs so it's fair, I guess. She did fine, she just doesn't have that something that makes me fall in love with a skater.

- It's just not the season for the Canadian ladies, is it? #1 lady sitting out, #2 lady not in her best form yet, and Alaine Chartrand yet to skate clean in her SP... Hope she redeems herself in the FS somewhat.

- Laurine Lecavelier's 3Lz was quite impressive. This was the first time that I saw her this season, and although I'm not in love with the program it's not bad or anything.

- The other two US ladies were... okay. Some nice parts, some not so nice parts, overall just... okay. I think Starr Andrews did a bit better here than Asian Trophy despite the messy 2A, but then I don't trust my memory anymore so :slink:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Zora

On the Ice
I don't get how Satoko deserves any +GOE on her jumps. +3 and +2 for her combination and her 2A. Very good height and very good length? I don't think it's physically possible to jump even lower without underrotating. Good take off and landing? She is prerotation everything and her free leg is always low on her landings because she is very low in general since she never got any height in her jumps. Effortless throughout - I see a lot of effort.