2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 116 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

lurkz2

On the Ice
Her first year with Raf she placed second (?) in Skate America. Everyone applauded the turn around. She was working on her jumps then, and in fact, I believe attributing her greater success to them. Did Raf say anything *at that time* that she wa only doing “minor” retooling?

Last year, that consistency was gone. One skate good, the next skate, well, less than good. I think that’s when Raf gave his interview about being too old to get married in Armenia;)

And I’m sorry, I don’t know why only this year they’re working on concentration and stamina? To me, that makes no sense. Retooling jumps may be hard and take time, but working on concentration and stamina should be constant and start at day one.

I wish Mariah the best, she’s a charmer, but every year is going to be her breakout year. And maybe it will be this year, I don’t know.... :shrug:

It was kinda implied in Raf's Ice Talk interview (19:50 in case you don't want to sit through the entire thing), but it does seem as if her jumps feel more secure this year.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-v5rs7-2116cf4

As for the concentration and stamina, it is early in the season. Many skaters seem to need to work out the kinks to peak later in the year.

Of course nothing's guaranteed, but I'm hoping for the best!:agree:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Good to see Starr and Mariah have good outings.

Starr improved on her SA overall score by like 24 points. Much stronger effort in both programs. She looked a lot more relaxed too. Good for her.

Mariah skated very well in both programs. That's a great base to begin with for the season. When Mariah is on, she's one of the strongest US women...I'd actually put her over Bradie. She has strong content, good technique, stronger programs plus Mariah has that "it" factor that Bradie doesn't quite have. Her issue has always been her consistency and focus. It will be interesting to see how she does at her next event.

macy

Record Breaker
I'm not going to get too ahead of myself gassing up Mariah but i'm really glad she did well this last weekend. As cheesy as celine dion is, it suits her well. but i am OBSESSED with her LP. fits her like a glove. wasn't that music used in a commercial here in the US recently? it reminds me of the music in the P&G "thank you mom" commercial we see around the olympics but i don't think that's it. Maybe a toyota commercial?

i'm hoping she can carry her momentum on, but i'm not holding my breath due to her track record. but i'm really excited to see that free program in person at nationals! :love:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m so excited to see Gracie skate again and secretly hoping she’ll slay, while also realistically knowing it’s a tough road back and just hoping she is happy with herself.

Me too. As long as she is happy with herself I am happy.

princessalica

Final Flight
Mariah Bell is the most beautiful US skater since Alissa Czisny.

I don't know that Mariah is prettier than Gracie. (Although I feel its a little weird to be arguing this) I think Mariah reminds me feature wise of Sasha Cohen. If someone told me that they were related, I wouldn't question it.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't know that Mariah is prettier than Gracie. (Although I feel its a little weird to be arguing this) I think Mariah reminds me feature wise of Sasha Cohen. If someone told me that they were related, I wouldn't question it.

A bit. But Sasha has such fierce eyes and Mariah eyes look so sweet in comparison.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Mariah has really nice qualities and has that inner spark and charisma. Hope she can get it all together by Nationals!

Hope she is getting enough attention from Raf - as Marin and Eunsoo are there now, among other skaters.

andromache

Record Breaker

I assumed (and hoped) that ssminnow was referring to beautiful skating rather than beautiful in physical appearance. Top US ladies have tended to be more athletic or powerful or sexy in terms of skating/performance style, at least in recent years. I think both Alissa and Mariah have more of a sense of lightness and delicacy to their skating, unlike Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, and Bradie. I'd probably class Karen Chen as a "beautiful" skater as well, based on her "On Golden Pond" SP, though her programs have generally tended to be more theatrical/dramatic.

princessalica

Final Flight
I assumed (and hoped) that ssminnow was referring to beautiful skating rather than beautiful in physical appearance.
OK, that would make more sense. I was really impressed by Mariah's spins this time. I don't remember them being as good as they were.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
The Skating Lesson interview with Benoit Richaud - talking about Bradie:
https://youtu.be/-PXgGprlBCY?t=35m21s

‘So first of all, I love this girl ... because first, she’s a hard worker. I like people who work, and I like humble people ... I like simple person ... and that’s one quality that Bradie has, she is a simple girl. She’s the same as last year, completely the same - and she works hard.’

‘Many people judge what they see, but they don’t know the reality ... for Bradie, she had a tough summer. She had a lot of pain in her back again’

‘She don’t have this talent of skating skills or musicality or dance movement ... so it’s really challenging.’

On the Cinderella program:
‘No, no, no - I don’t pick that music.’

andromache

Record Breaker
The Skating Lesson interview with Benoit Richaud - talking about Bradie:
https://youtu.be/-PXgGprlBCY?t=35m21s

‘So first of all, I love this girl ... because first, she’s a hard worker. I like people who work, and I like humble people ... I like simple person ... and that’s one quality that Bradie has, she is a simple girl. She’s the same as last year, completely the same - and she works hard.’

‘Many people judge what they see, but they don’t know the reality ... for Bradie, she had a tough summer. She had a lot of pain in her back again’

‘She don’t have this talent of skating skills or musicality or dance movement ... so it’s really challenging.’

On the Cinderella program:
‘No, no, no - I don’t pick that music.’

Working on a 3Lz-3Lo while dealing with recurring back pain? Respect.

Honestly I feel a little bad for Bradie that her own choreographer acknowledges that she lacks any innate artistic talent, no matter how true it is.

I haven't gotten around to watching the interview yet. Thanks for sharing this little snippet into his insights about Bradie.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not going to get too ahead of myself gassing up Mariah but i'm really glad she did well this last weekend. As cheesy as celine dion is, it suits her well and i am OBSESSED with her LP. fits her like a glove. wasn't that music used in a commercial here in the US recently? it reminds me of the music in the P&G "thank you mom" commercial we see around the olympics but i don't think that's it. Maybe a toyota commercial?
i'm hoping she can carry her momentum on, but i'm not holding my breath due to her track record. but i'm really excited to see that free program in person at nationals! :love:

I’m also obsessed with this program (actually it’s her SP, not her LP); never would have thought a Celine song would look “fresh” and not cheesy. I think what is so appealing is that it presents her simply, as a young woman who is joyously in love. There is no “story” that needs to be explained before viewers will “get” what she is portraying. IIRC, Adam did the choreo, and it suits her so well.

vitamintea

On the Ice
Working on a 3Lz-3Lo while dealing with recurring back pain? Respect.

Honestly I feel a little bad for Bradie that her own choreographer acknowledges that she lacks any innate artistic talent, no matter how true it is.

I haven't gotten around to watching the interview yet. Thanks for sharing this little snippet into his insights about Bradie.

I don't think it's meant to be insulting; I think it's meant to be positive. She may be the American analogue to Evgenia, as Eteri has said that Evgenia doesn't have the natural talent, finesse, or abilities that other Russian prodigies have, but Evgenia works hard and has a tough mind and that's what's kept her competitive. I think it's undeniable Bradie just don't have the musicality or performance capability of Karen Chen or Ashley Wagner, so her improvements are a testament to her hard work rather than a sudden unearthing of talent.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it's meant to be insulting; I think it's meant to be positive. She may be the American analogue to Evgenia, as Eteri has said that Evgenia doesn't have the natural talent, finesse, or abilities that other Russian prodigies have, but Evgenia works hard and has a tough mind and that's what's kept her competitive. I think it's undeniable Bradie just don't have the musicality or performance capability of Karen Chen or Ashley Wagner, so her improvements are a testament to her hard work rather than a sudden unearthing of talent.

This was my take on that part of the interview, as well.

Of course, some things can be lost in translation, and when a person is not a native English speaker, I tend to interpret things that might reinforce my views of how the conversation is going in general.

andromache

Record Breaker

I agree with your interpretation of the statement and think Benoit was being positive yet honest about Bradie's abilities. Unfortunately, I think it's often easier to overcome a lack of athletic ability (Evgenia is an extremely decorated and beloved skater who was leading the field technically for 2-3 years) than to overcome a lack of artistic ability/charisma.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with your interpretation of the statement and think Benoit was being positive yet honest about Bradie's abilities. Unfortunately, I think it's often easier to overcome a lack of athletic ability (Evgenia is an extremely decorated and beloved skater who was leading the field technically for 2-3 years) than to overcome a lack of artistic ability/charisma.

We should check in with Jason Brown on that.

macy

Record Breaker
I’m also obsessed with this program (actually it’s her SP, not her LP); never would have thought a Celine song would look “fresh” and not cheesy. I think what is so appealing is that it presents her simply, as a young woman who is joyously in love. There is no “story” that needs to be explained before viewers will “get” what she is portraying. IIRC, Adam did the choreo, and it suits her so well.

i meant that as two separate statements, sorry my wording wasn't clear enough. i do like her SP, but her LP is one of my top favorites this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I’m cautiously optimistic. Raf mentioned in an interview they only made minor changes the first year since it was so near comps. Last year they were retooling her jumps, so I can understand the extreme inconsistency. This year it seems to be all about concentration and stamina, which she’s working on.

Her first year with Raf she placed second (?) in Skate America. Everyone applauded the turn around. She was working on her jumps then, and in fact, I believe attributing her greater success to them. Did Raf say anything *at that time* that she wa only doing “minor” retooling? ...

Yes, at that time, Raf said something of that ilk.

Raf said to Mariah, "... we don't need to make huge, huge changes" -- according to Mariah's interview with Lynn Rutherford and Dave Lease at 2016 Skate America.

" … We're just going to start -- a little piece here, a little piece there ..." (Not clear [at least to me], whether Mariah is continuing to quote Raf here, or whether she has switched to putting their approach into her own words. But the point remains the same.)

I hope Mariah has a great season. :yay: