2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 185 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

concorde

Medalist
What‘s the problem with Mariahs jumping technique?

I cannot tell but I have heard there are issues and that is why Raf is re-working them. Hence more 3-2 than 3-3 at her GP events. I would expect the opposite from a skater at that level.

I think one of the issues is that most fans (me included) really do not know what good technique is.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am looking forward to the Golden Spin this week. Fortunately, though the dates overlap with the GPF/JGPF, because Golden Spin is in Croatia and the Finals are in Vancouver, the times do not overlap at all.

I've heard Golden Spin will have live streaming (though not free) but if you want to watch both GS and Final events live on the East coast of the US, be prepared to burn the candle at both ends. The Golden Spin Senior Ladies SP airs at 2 am on Friday-shortly after the GPF Senior Ladies SP. And if you want to see Gilles/Poirier's FD at Golden Spin, that starts at 3:30 am on Saturday, after the GPF Senior Men's FS (which ends around 1:30 am). Then right after G/P's FD, there's the Golden Spin Senior Ladies FS at 6 am.

BTW, the Greens are making their season debut at Golden Spin in the Junior Ice Dance event. The Junior RD is at 4 pm EST on Wednesday, and the FD is at 9:30 am EST on Thursday.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
This is the point. With the OBO scoring system the winner was determined by the number of "wins" that each skater held over the others. The majority of ordinals system was no longer in place. (U.S.A. still used the majority of ordinals system in national contests, but the ISU had switched over, in an attempt to cut down on "flip-flops" (technically, violations of the principal of independence of irrelevant alternations).

The confusion on this issue was initiated by the reporting of the NY Times, which did not understand the change in scoring systems. They published a big article claiming incorrectly that Joe Inman could have changed the result all by himself, and people believed it because, after all, it was the NY Times. :)

Would you or another mod mind creating a new thread for all the posts discussing Michele, Sarah, Irina, Shizuka, etc? They’re starting to take over the thread. Thanks.

frida80

Record Breaker
I am looking forward to the Golden Spin this week. Fortunately, though the dates overlap with the GPF/JGPF, because Golden Spin is in Croatia and the Finals are in Vancouver, the times do not overlap at all.

I've heard Golden Spin will have live streaming (though not free) but if you want to watch both GS and Final events live on the East coast of the US, be prepared to burn the candle at both ends. The Golden Spin Senior Ladies SP airs at 2 am on Friday-shortly after the GPF Senior Ladies SP. And if you want to see Gilles/Poirier's FD at Golden Spin, that starts at 3:30 am on Saturday, after the GPF Senior Men's FS (which ends around 1:30 am). Then right after G/P's FD, there's the Golden Spin Senior Ladies FS at 6 am.

BTW, the Greens are making their season debut at Golden Spin in the Junior Ice Dance event. The Junior RD is at 4 pm EST on Wednesday, and the FD is at 9:30 am EST on Thursday.

I've been training all season for this. For three weeks early in the season there were two or three ISU events on the same weekend. The week of JGP Richmond, US Classic and Lombardía Trophy was the worst. Some clever scheduling , including times for naps and I pulled through.

The best news is I finally get to hear Ted commentate again!

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I’m worried that either bradie or Mariah may withdraw from Golden Spin.

Bradie said after IDF that she would be going but I’m not sure about Mariah. Bradie planned out this season with the possibility of GPF in mind so going to Golden Spin just replaces that easily. I’m not sure about Mariah as I said but I’m hoping they both go and skate their best because it could be telling for nationals.

katymay

Medalist
I’m worried that either bradie or Mariah may withdraw from Golden Spin.

I doubt it. Croatia is sort of a 'reward' competition, and both girls have earned it. Not to mention Croatia is a breathtakingly beautiful country. I expect they will have a wonderful time there, no matter how the actual competition shakes out.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Golden Spin tends to be a high-scoring competition, and it wouldn't hurt for both Bradie and Mariah to acquire a new Seasons / Personal Best and some more ISU ranking points.

evasorange

Final Flight
Did Karen ever give a reason or statement for her withdrawal? I mean I know we all know it’s because of her injury but I’m wonder if her or her team shed a little more light on what’s going on. It’s really hard to imagine her making any sort of run for the podium at nationals when it’s going to be the first time all season she will have competed her long program.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Did Karen ever give a reason or statement for her withdrawal? I mean I know we all know it’s because of her injury but I’m wonder if her or her team shed a little more light on what’s going on. It’s really hard to imagine her making any sort of run for the podium at nationals when it’s going to be the first time all season she will have competed her long program.

She posted this on Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqysgE_nO36/

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I don't think she'd make the world team but, given the lack of depth, it's possible for her to get on the podium. Karen is one of the only skaters in the field who has been able to deal with the pressure and bring her best in past Nationals, so I wouldn't count her out.

halulupu

Final Flight
Hmmm sounds like she probably overestimated how much her injury had healed...I wonder if she’ll even make it to nationals? Might be best just to let it completely heal at this point.

more likely her being out of form. don't buy this injury excused anymore. same move as gracie. why are us ladies so ill-advised. Its sad

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I think Karen's goal for nationals should be to skate well enough to be in a good position to get two GPs next season. Hopefully she'll actually show up and be able to do that

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Karen's goal for nationals should be to skate well enough to be in a good position to get two GPs next season. Hopefully she'll actually show up and be able to do that

As far as I know, there is no direct relationship between Nationals and GP assignments. GPs are awarded based on worlds, SB (at an international competition), and world standings (again based on points from international competitions).

Indirectly it could help, as Nationals->Worlds->GP . or Nationals->SA host pick. But there's no direct route from Nationals to two GPs.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
As far as I know, there is no direct relationship between Nationals and GP assignments. GPs are awarded based on worlds, SB (at an international competition), and world standings (again based on points from international competitions).

Indirectly it could help, as Nationals->Worlds->GP . or Nationals->SA host pick. But there's no direct route from Nationals to two GPs.

I don't think there's a direct relation either. I do think the Fed pushes for skaters though. Like Starr and Megan this season didn't really have any credentials to go to 2 GPs (as far as I know) but they both ended up doing two. Gracie somehow got a GP in Russia obviously with USFS help. If Karen could do well enough at Nationals maybe the Fed would put her in a more favorable position to get 2 GPs if she's not able to get 2 based on her own merit. I don't know though, I could be misunderstanding.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It isn't as if Karen Chen is an unknown skater new to GP competition. She is the 2017 US Champion and was 4th at 2017 Worlds. She's struggled with injury and boot problems since then, but she did finish a respectable 11th at the Olympics.

Right now, Karen is #15 on the ISU World Ranking list. She will drop quite a bit if she doesn't compete at all this season, but if she does reasonably well at Nationals (top 10 is probably well within her capabilities, even if injured; top 6 is possible), USFS might give her a B assignment or two later in the season to bolter her ranking and keep her in the top 24, then put her on the list of US ladies eligible for GP assignments.

Even if she is slightly out of the top 24 on the WR list, Karen could still get invitations from host countries based on her past record. Some hosts even prefer to include one or two skaters who won't pose a threat to their own skaters and a skater recovering from injury isn't likely to be that challenging.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think there's a direct relation either. I do think the Fed pushes for skaters though. Like Starr and Megan this season didn't really have any credentials to go to 2 GPs (as far as I know) but they both ended up doing two. Gracie somehow got a GP in Russia obviously with USFS help. If Karen could do well enough at Nationals maybe the Fed would put her in a more favorable position to get 2 GPs if she's not able to get 2 based on her own merit. I don't know though, I could be misunderstanding.

Meagan got one - a host pick, which is entirely at the USFS's discretion. She wasn't one the SB list from last year. The fed could at the very least select Karen for SA, and could also potentially make deals with other feds to get her a 2nd spot, so you're right that a decent showing at Nationals will help her in that respect.