2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 186 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Meagan got one - a host pick, which is entirely at the USFS's discretion. She wasn't one the SB list from last year. The fed could at the very least select Karen for SA, and could also potentially make deals with other feds to get her a 2nd spot, so you're right that a decent showing at Nationals will help her in that respect.

I still like the idea of the host pick spot going to a skater who excels in the summer events, whether or not it's Karen.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
more likely her being out of form. don't buy this injury excused anymore. same move as gracie. why are us ladies so ill-advised. Its sad

Even if you don't buy it you got to admit its a more pr savy and less crappy response then the ones she provided for her problems last year. A major improvement in fact :confused2:

It will take a long time before I can get "pray for my boots" out of my mind when I think of her :palmf: It's in fact the top reason why I question what she says and don't fully believe :slink:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I don't think there's a direct relation either. I do think the Fed pushes for skaters though. Like Starr and Megan this season didn't really have any credentials to go to 2 GPs (as far as I know) but they both ended up doing two. Gracie somehow got a GP in Russia obviously with USFS help. If Karen could do well enough at Nationals maybe the Fed would put her in a more favorable position to get 2 GPs if she's not able to get 2 based on her own merit. I don't know though, I could be misunderstanding.

Megan only had one GP. Starr was sixth at 4cc and initially only was chosen for one GP, SkAm. She was chosen by Skate Canada as a replacement for a WD. This is how she ended up getting two.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Ultimately, if you skate well then good things will happen to you. Bradie only had one GP last season but still won Nationals and got sent to the Olympics, where she earned a team bronze.

That said, I'm not even sure what Karen's plans are for next season because she's talked about applying to colleges.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I still like the idea of the host pick spot going to a skater who excels in the summer events, whether or not it's Karen.

There's more than one host spot. One usually for the National champ, one left TBD to be earned in the summer, one more. Starr's initial event was a host pick this year, which she got based on her Nationals results.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And possibly also on her 4CC results. Had she lost to Angela Wang there, USFSA might have invited Angela instead; but Starr demonstrated at 4CCs that she could compete internationally. Her SB score was comparable to other ladies who received non-host GP invites for this season. (And over ten points higher than Alexia Paganini's). So Starr had a solid argument for an invite. She could have been invited by another country. She just was not. The second host spot often goes to an athlete in a similar position. Someone with a strong argument for being on the GP anyway. Sometimes a bronze medalist that can help sell tickets. Sometimes an athlete returning from injury but with name value. Sometimes an athlete who had strong scores but not a "guaranteed" second spot and who other countries may be disinclined to invite because he/she/they are competitive. And in this case to an athlete who was on the borderline for receiving a GP invite but didn't get one initially from another country and had done well enough--at Nationals, at 4CCs, at Junior Worlds the year before--to merit an invite to SA.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tessa Hong retired. She was suffering from Osgood-Schlatter (a growth-related syndrome causing severe knee pain) and decided she'd rather concentrate on her education.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Emilia Zingas (sp?) going to compete as a junior at nationals this year? How old is she?

The Junior ladies who made it through sectionals:

Gabriella IZZO
Audrey SHIN
Emily ZHANG
Sarah JUNG
Wren WARNE-JACOBSEN
Stephanie CIAROCHI
Akane EGUCHI
Alyssa RICH
Emilia MURDOCK
Noelle ROSA
Amie MIYAGI
Cailtin HA

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
The Junior ladies who made it through sectionals:

Gabriella IZZO
Audrey SHIN
Emily ZHANG
Sarah JUNG
Wren WARNE-JACOBSEN
Stephanie CIAROCHI
Akane EGUCHI
Alyssa RICH
Emilia MURDOCK
Noelle ROSA
Amie MIYAGI
Cailtin HA

Thanks.
I want to pick Izzo as the winner; however, lack of a 3-3 may hurt her. Are there any standouts who could beat her?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Thanks.
I want to pick Izzo as the winner; however, lack of a 3-3 may hurt her. Are there any standouts who could beat her?

Audrey Shin has two 3-3’s in her fs but the 3t is almost always < and she’s rather inconsistent. She could win if she hits though. Noelle Rosa does 2a-3t and also does 3lutz-3t sometimes so she could win as well. Emilia Murdock is similar to Izzo. A lovely skater with only 3-2’s. She definitely has competition but also a decent shot at winning.

andromache

Record Breaker
Kind of a bummer that there doesn't seem to be a girl with a reliable 3-3 who could take the junior title at Nationals, compared to last year when Ting, Alysa, and Pooja all medaled, all of whom had 3-3s (and are competing as seniors).

Audrey Shin seems to have pretty major UR issues.

vitamintea

On the Ice
Is there any chance Pooja could get a 4CC assignment, assuming a stronger showing at nationals than she did on her JGP assignments? I assume Bradie would also skip like she did last year, Mariah and Starr would probably go again.

frida80

Record Breaker
Is there any chance Pooja could get a 4CC assignment, assuming a stronger showing at nationals than she did on her JGP assignments? I assume Bradie would also skip like she did last year, Mariah and Starr would probably go again.

Bradie only skipped because of scheduling conflicts with the Olympics. This year it's in the US. The whole worlds team will go.

tothepointe

On the Ice

I'm not so sure Bradie will skip again this year. 4CC is going to be in Anaheim, CA and with no Olympics this year there isn't the time crunch there was last year. Also it's a whole month before Worlds. I think the top US skaters SHOULD go to 4CC if it's logically feasible every year like the Russian skaters do for Europeans. It sets you up for Worlds.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure Bradie will skip again this year. 4CC is going to be in Anaheim, CA and with no Olympics this year there isn't the time crunch there was last year. I think the top US skaters SHOULD go to 4CC if it's logically feasible every year like the Russian skaters do for Europeans. It sets you up for Worlds.

100% agree. There's no reason for any US skater to skip 4CCs this year.

Pooja is most likely fighting for a Junior Worlds spot, along with Ting and Hanna (I would be surprised to see any girl other than two of these three selected for JW).

Last edited: