2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 904 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I want to see this breakdown too. Unless she's living like Beyonce, there's no way her coaching & living expenses costs $90K USD per month. You could qualify for an Amex Black card with that kind of spending.

Love how some people throw out figures without even thinking about them.

In the article that was posted here it said that that figure only covered her living exspenses (rent, food, bills), flights, and equipment (costumes, boots, blades etc), perhaps medical. Not her coaching costs. £100k a month seems... a lot. They said it was a leak from the tax office.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Gonna take this opportunity of a silent thread to ask, do you think the practice groups (as in, which girls go in which practice group) will be posted in ISU's event page for the Junior Worlds? If you have any other useful info, please send me links! Thank you A TON in advance ^_^

zounger

Medalist
Gonna take this opportunity of a silent thread to ask, do you think the practice groups (as in, which girls go in which practice group) will be posted in ISU's event page for the Junior Worlds? If you have any other useful info, please send me links! Thank you A TON in advance ^_^

The practice schedule is available already (with a note of subject to change): here.

Giltedge

Final Flight
=====We are currently [3.50 pm MSK] halfway throughf Group 2=====

Skating order
Championships of Moscow Free Skate

Starts 14h45 MSK

Group 1
Polina Popova, Ulyana Shiryayeva, Sofiya Sarnovskaya, Ekaterina Geinysh, Salma Agamova, Anastasiya Kolydova

Group 2
Nadezhda Sula, Nataliya Lagutova, Maya Kuzmina, Ksenia Zevakhina, Emiliia Ostrovskaya, Mariia Kryzhova

Ice sweep

Group 3
Angelina Chaplygina, Yana Liventseva, Nika Ryabinina, Mariya Zakharova, Anastasiia Morozova, Sofya Muravieva

Group 4
Sofya Akatieva, Anastasiia Shabotova, Darya Usachёva, Maia Khromykh, Sofya Samodelkina, Kamila Valieva

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
I wouldn’t call myself her biggest fan but one thing I will day for Medvedeva is that she has some of the best landings of the Russian women in terms of flow and a clean running edge.

I don't see that at all--in fact, I would argue just the opposite. Her jumps have become quite noticeably labored as she has aged and her landings have suffered as well. Great skating demands effortless jumps--not that they are really effortless, of course, but they need to seem that way. I see very little in Med's skating right now that seems effortless. But that could certainly change in the future as she works with Brian & Tracy.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Your statement isn't quite correct, according to the translation of the article that I read.

Tarasova said that the situation after Cup of Russia is very difficult and is reminiscent of what happened at the Olympics. That sport is not always fair, and that "stronger is the one who is stronger at the moment."

https://zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5c28...evoi-na-kubke-rossii-5c7604638964fb00b3c746cb

I'm including the link so that people won't think I'm just making this up. But it's the same link as shown above.

Did TAT think the same after Alina’s victory las year ?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Selective argument and cherry picking to prove nothing :) You just decided to focus on a bad year for the russian ladies to justify your narrative bias.

Here is another one: In the last 5 years Russia has 6 WC medals ( 3 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze), Japan has 4 WC medals ( 1 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze), Canada has 3 WC medals (1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze)

I'm taking the most recent World Championship to refute the suggestion that Russia should have more spots at Worlds. It's great to say you have a big talent pool but the performance of Russia at the most recent Worlds hardly justifies it having more spots. Also what does Worlds 4 or 5 years ago have to do with Worlds today? If Canada does abysmally at these Worlds and only gets 1 spot, I'm not gonna be like - well in the past 3 years we've had 3 medals including gold, so that means we're still deserving of more spots.

Although I should say to my earlier remark, that Medvedeva probably would have done better than Konstantinova (but there's no way of telling that ... everyone assumed Jin would be a medal contender at 2018 Worlds and we saw what happened there).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That’s because those were not really their top 3 representatives that year. Maybe they could expand the spots of bigger nations but keep 1 spot for smaller nations that aren’t as good? Clearly this would never happen but in tennis the best in the world go...regardless of nation. They use a ranking system. I don’t get why ISU can’t just use a ranking system or seasons best list to determine it and maybe if Russians have 10 and Japanese have 10 and there are 2 skaters from different small countries being shut out they can just reduced the Japanese and Russian number down to 9 each. Sadly IOC would never let them.

So Russia and Japan get 18 skaters and all the "miscellaneous" countries, collectively, get a whole 2 representatives. How generous. :sarcasm:

As mentioned, a World championship includes the world's best but has to also represent the World. Say sports where the top athletes predominantly come from One or a handful of countries like muay Thai (Thailand) or basketball (USA) or hockey (Canada/US) or gymnastics (US/Russia/China), if you took the top ranked athletes to participate in Worlds, yes it would have the best in the World but it would be laughable since the vast majority of the entrants were from just a few countries.

And if those skaters were not their top three representatives they were still in Russia's top 5 or 6... and yet none of them medaled and they almost lost 3 spots. Japan has a bigger case for having more spots than Russia... but then again they only had 2 spots last year. Point being, it's all been in a state of flux how dominant a country is, and thus how many spots they deserve at Worlds.

rlopen

On the Ice
So Russia and Japan get 18 skaters and all the "miscellaneous" countries, collectively, get a whole 2 representatives. How generous. :sarcasm:

As mentioned, a World championship includes the world's best but has to also represent the World. Say sports where the top athletes predominantly come from one or two countries like muay Thai (Thailand) or basketball (USA) or hockey (Canada/US), if you took the top ranked athletes to participate in Worlds, yes it would have the best in the World but it would be laughable since the vast majority of the entrants were from just 1 or 2 countries.

Nope. Not what I said. I said give unlimited spots to big countries and then limit said big spots when they start to impede on smaller countries. So...if 10 countries are being shut out by big feds having great skaters and if USA, Japan, and Russia all have 8 (it’s a hypothetical here)..make them each go to 5 skaters and then whichever country has the lowest average Season’s Best with its skaters who could be going to Worlds will be the one reduced to 4 spots. It clearly isn’t realistic but would be my preferred system. However, if there are more countries being shut out than 10, than continue to reduce until said Federations back down to 3 (but the US can be narrowed down to 2 if need be we aren’t as good as Japan/Russia lol.)

Giltedge

Final Flight
What an exciting climax!

Sofya S had a wonderfully big FS and set Kamila an almost impossible target, but Kamila's skating was equally brilliant and she was well on the way to exceeding it, when an unfortunate slip cost her the margin of victory.

So, a well-earned 1st for Sofya, 2nd for Kamila and a nice bronze for Sofya A. Maia was 4th, Darya 5th.

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Maya was third actually :)
But yes, a wonderful level of skating, all of them show so much promise!

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Nope. Not what I said. I said give unlimited spots to big countries and then limit said big spots when they start to impede on smaller countries. So...if 10 countries are being shut out by big feds having great skaters and if USA, Japan, and Russia all have 8 (it’s a hypothetical here)..make them each go to 5 skaters and then whichever country has the lowest average Season’s Best with its skaters who could be going to Worlds will be the one reduced to 4 spots. It clearly isn’t realistic but would be my preferred system. However, if there are more countries being shut out than 10, than continue to reduce until said Federations back down to 3 (but the US can be narrowed down to 2 if need be we aren’t as good as Japan/Russia lol.)

wut? :scratch2:

Scott512

Record Breaker
You think way to big of them if you see this debacle as a "strategy". I think is poor planning. The risk of russia loosing three spots next year is not so big as some people love to write here in the style of russian ice dance tragedy 2.0.

It's the opposite: one of the easiest years for russian ladies to keep 3 spots

Did TAT think the same after Alina’s victory las year ?

I'm taking the most recent World Championship to refute the suggestion that Russia should have more spots at Worlds. It's great to say you have a big talent pool but the performance of Russia at the most recent Worlds hardly justifies it having more spots. Also what does Worlds 4 or 5 years ago have to do with Worlds today? If Canada does abysmally at these Worlds and only gets 1 spot, I'm not gonna be like - well in the past 3 years we've had 3 medals including gold, so that means we're still deserving of more spots.

Although I should say to my earlier remark, that Medvedeva probably would have done better than Konstantinova (but there's no way of telling that ... everyone assumed Jin would be a medal contender at 2018 Worlds and we saw what happened there).
Did you watch the olympics? Thats so much bigger than worlds. Worlds after olympics? Lol. Russia is in a golden era of ladies figure skating that will surpass anything any country has ever done in ladie figure skating!

You put so much on worlds last year and Zhenya an all time great ladies skater wasnt even there. That kind of changed things last worlds for the Russian girls for whatever
its worth. But keep harping on last years worlds where Russia had a weak team compared to this year. Others have moved on to this years team that will do alot better than last years team where Masha and Stasya failed to deliver. Alina OGM should not have even been there after being ill after olympics. Dont most OGM skip worlds? I thought so.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
What happened to Shabotova? Did she w/d? I was thankful to see her redeem herself in the FS at the Cup Final after a less than stellar Jr. Nationals but now I'm worried she is injured. :(

SkateSkates

Medalist
What an exciting climax!

Sofya S had a wonderfully big FS and set Kamila an almost impossible target, but Kamila's skating was equally brilliant and she was well on the way to exceeding it, when an unfortunate slip cost her the margin of victory.

So, a well-earned 1st for Sofya, 2nd for Kamila and a nice bronze for Sofya A. Maia was 4th, Darya 5th.

It was so exciting since the scores were so close that whoever won the FS would win overall! Happy that Sofia Samodelkina was able to skate clean here with two massive lutz combos in the 2nd half. I wonder if we will see her triple axel at novice nationals