2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 262 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

lurkz2

On the Ice
The US Champion usually gets picked for SA and the others are chosen from summer results. Since Alysa can't skate in the GP, Bradie as the top ranked US skater this season might get the nod again.

I think the discussion refers to the wildcard slot the US has, as host, for a skater who would otherwise not have any GP slot. While Bradie would probably get SkAm, she has earned 2 slots and would not need a wildcard slot,

andromache

Record Breaker
The US Champion usually gets picked for SA and the others are chosen from summer results. Since Alysa can't skate in the GP, Bradie as the top ranked US skater this season might get the nod again.

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the host spot that Bradie received in 2017 and Megan in 2018, where the US chooses a less-decorated/accomplished skater who otherwise would not receive a GP spot.

I assume Bradie will receive an SA spot as well, along with Mariah or Ting.

natsulian

Final Flight
how is her quad looking? do you have any video of that?

I don’t know how to embed videos on here, but her 4T looks decent although under-rotated. Her landings are still iffy, she said, but she’s getting there. The raw talent is there, but the consistency is not and since she’s so young, I hope she develops into a great skater.

Currently she’s been posting videos on her Instagram of her practicing 4T, 4S, and 3A. We have five Junior girls (Alysa, Ting, Hanna, Lara, and Audrey) officially practicing Quads with 3 hoping to add them next season (Alysa, Ting, and Hanna).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, I was referring specifically to the host spot that Bradie received in 2017 and Megan in 2018, where the US chooses a less-decorated/accomplished skater who otherwise would not receive a GP spot.

I assume Bradie will receive an SA spot as well, along with Mariah or Ting.

I don't think Mariah would get an SA spot because she is top 24 in WR and SB and has been getting two assignments on her own merit.

Ting is top 24 on the SB list (Tallinn Cup) and is guaranteed one assignment, but SA could be an option to ensure a second one.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I would rather Ting get the SA spot than Gracie - if the decision was between them.

andromache

Record Breaker
I would rather Ting get the SA spot than Gracie - if the decision was between them.

I think Ting has a decent chance to get 2 spots without being a wildcard pick, given her Junior Worlds result. USFS can/will invite her, and it's not unlikely that another event will invite her as well.

The only reason USFS wouldn't invite Ting is because she gets two invitations elsewhere and thus USFS can invite another eligible skater.

It seems unlikely that USFS would need to give Ting the wildcard spot.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I think Ting has a decent chance to get 2 spots without being a wildcard pick, given her Junior Worlds result. USFS can/will invite her, and it's not unlikely that another event will invite her as well.

The only reason USFS wouldn't invite Ting is because she gets two invitations elsewhere and thus USFS can invite another eligible skater.

It seems unlikely that USFS would need to give Ting the wildcard spot.

Agreed, Ting is already guaranteed one spot from her top 24 SB score, and usually medallists from JWC and top 24 SB list get two assignments, especially if they come from a big federation like the US. She may end up getting a Skate America spot, but if she does it'll probably be one of the first two picks, not the host spot. I would be shocked if she doesn't get two GP assignments when initial assignments come out. If it doesn't though, they probably would give her the host spot kind of like what happened to Rika Kihira and Sofia Samodurova this year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agreed, Ting is already guaranteed one spot from her top 24 SB score, and usually medallists from JWC and top 24 SB list get two assignments, especially if they come from a big federation like the US. She may end up getting a Skate America spot, but if she does it'll probably be one of the first two picks, not the host spot. I would be shocked if she doesn't get two GP assignments when initial assignments come out. If it doesn't though, they probably would give her the host spot kind of like what happened to Rika Kihira and Sofia Samodurova this year.

I agree, I think Ting would get the second (and not host pick) SA spot. Our GP would want to showcase the talent of the future, and since the National champ can't go, a JW medalist is the next best thing. There's no reason for Mariah to do SA, other than her probably wanting to skate in front of a supportive home audience.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I thought that Gracie Gold was eyeing summer competitions to get that host spot at SA.

Me too. When is the deadline for SA selections? I wonder if they'll wait and see how Gracie skates over the summer before making the final selection.

natsulian

Final Flight
Top 2018/2019 Season's Best Scores, US Ladies
12. Bradie Tennell, 206.41
17. Ting Cui, 199.79
18. Mariah Bell, 198.96
37. Ashley Lin, 181.21
42. Courtney Hicks, 178.07
44. Hanna Harrell, 176.69
49. Starr Andrews, 174.72
57. Megan Wessenberg, 170.33
62. Amber Glenn, 166.25
73. Angela Wang, 160.99
76. Pooja Kalyan, 160.60
77. Gabriella Izzo, 159.86
87. Katie McBeath, 154.56
111. Akari Nakahari, 143.07
113. Brynn McIsaac, 141.61
135. Audrey Shin, 134.19

Possible US ladies returning next season: Gracie Gold, Karen Chen, Polina, and Angela Wang (injured).

andromache

Record Breaker
Me too. When is the deadline for SA selections? I wonder if they'll wait and see how Gracie skates over the summer before making the final selection.

I don't know the deadline exactly, but I believe it's early fall. There's plenty of time to see how everyone not guaranteed a spot will skate over the summer.

Karen could probably be a comeback skater if she wants? But Polina and Gracie, if both aim to make it back to the GP, both will need to compete over the summer and prove themselves. They'll probably be up against Amber Glenn, Emmy Ma, Courtney Hicks, and others for the spot.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I don't know the deadline exactly, but I believe it's early fall. There's plenty of time to see how everyone not guaranteed a spot will skate over the summer.

Karen could probably be a comeback skater if she wants? But Polina and Gracie, if both aim to make it back to the GP, both will need to compete over the summer and prove themselves. They'll probably be up against Amber Glenn, Emmy Ma, Courtney Hicks, and others for the spot.

I don’t think Karen qualifies to be a comeback skater - she competed this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
General comment:

USFS also takes High Performance/ISP Camp results into consideration when making international assignments. Possibly including GP assignments.

And we fans are not privy to what USFS sees from skaters at the camp.

Same re USFS monitoring sessions that are scheduled at summer competitions (such as Philadelphia/Aston).​

I don’t think Karen qualifies to be a comeback skater - she competed this season.

Does it count if she withdrew after the SP?

"Return Skater" should not be confused with "Come-Back" skater. (Gracie was a Come-Back skater.)

It is not unthinkable to me that Karen would be eligible to be a Return Skater, if the GP rules for 2018/19 continue to be in effect. Language from the 2018/19 Announcement:

c) Return of a ranked Skater/Couple - “Return Skater/Couple”
A Skater or Couple, not included among those defined in paragraphs a) and b) above, who was previously in the top 7 to 12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2016 or 2017 but since was injured and/or did not compete at all during the entire 2017/18 season, may be chosen, if applicable, as an Organizing ISU Member Skater, and in addition, may be considered as an Organizing ISU Member’s Choice and will be ranked in the list of Season’s Best scores by taking the Season’s Best points of their most recent season, if proof is given in writing by their ISU Member that they intend to continue their competitive career and their return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such Skater or Couple is defined as a “Return Skater/Couple” and such a Return Skater/Couple does not need to fulfill the requirement of a minimum Grand Prix score.​

Seems very possible to me that Karen could make a case that she was injured during the entire 2018/19 season??

ETA (on Mar 15): I have deleted a question that I regret asking.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think one of my personal pet peeves is hearing about young skaters I have never seen before who are working on various quads and 3As. Good for them for trying new jumps and challenging themselves, but "beginning to practice" an extremely ambitious jump or two is much less meaningful than something like "consistently rotates all of her triple jumps and 3-3 combos" which continues to be a struggle for young US ladies.