2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 996 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Do the successes of Alina, Alyona, Anna and Aleksandra have a positive influence on the number of young girls wanting to try figure skating?
Russian ladies figure skating is no doubt on a all time high in results, interest and coverage.

These Champions have had lots of press, live TV appearances, will still appear in commercials, ice shows etc and seem all around likeable, relatable young persons, still unspoilt.

Given the audience reactions to Aleksandra (with Tina in her arms) especially, she could be a real magnet drawing large numbers of kids into figure skating.

It was Yulia and now it is Alina - two greatest "divas" who inspire the new generation

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Now that most of the important Jr competitions are over, this is how I would think JGP spots would be distributed next season. Of course a lot can change from now until August (injuries, illness, growth spurts etc)

Total spots: 15 (1 extra for event in Russia)

Returning juniors: 8 Spots
Ksenia Sinitsina - 2 spots. 4th at Jr Nats and Jr Worlds, 3rd at JGP event
Viktoria Vasilieva - 2 spots. 6th at Jr Nats, 3rd at Russian Cup Final (MS), 3rd at JGP event
Anastasia Tarakanova - 2 spots. 7th at Jr Nats, 4th at JGPF, 1st and 2nd at JGP events
Alena Kanysheva- 2 spots. 11th at JR Nats, 3rd at JGPF, 2nd at both JGP events

New Juniors:
Kamila Valieva - 2 spots. 1st at younger age and older age nationals, withdrew from some events with injury but clearly the strongest of the upcoming group
Maya Khromik - 2 spots. Also injured at the start of the season and missed ability to qualify for jr nats. 1st at Cup Final (CMS) and 2nd at Elder Age nats
Daria Usacheva - 1/2 spots. Started the season strong but dealt with some inconsistencies starting mid season. Came back pretty strong the last couple of competitions but seems to be struggling a bit with confidence. 2nd at Cup Final (CMS), 3rd at Elder Age Nats, 10th at Jr Nats
Anna Frolova/Anastasia Shabotova/Viktoria Safonova seem to be the best candidates for the remaining spots.

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't say the group is as strong as last season, but it is still incredibly strong nonetheless.

Eteri with Valieva, Khromykh and Kanysheva secured at least three skaters that can potentially win both their 2 events, Daria Usacheva we'll see, she is pretty good but she does mistakes here and there.

I'm curious what elements they will work on in the summer cause Valieva, Khromykh and Usacheva have enormous axel, i think we could see a 3A from them very soon. On the other hand we'll also have to see how much they will grow, Khromykh already looks fairly tall.

Svetlana Panova has Sinitsyna, the other two they are not as talented as Kanysheva was in my opinion: Frolova is not bad, she needs to refine some of her positions (the illusion or her ina bauer for example), Shabotova also is fine but she needs to increase the height on her jumps cause they look under.

Tarakanova is great, i think she is ready for seniors, and we saw this season in the free program how she can really use that choreo sequence which unfortunately she doesn't have in juniors. I hope for the best for her, i don't think they'll give her another chance in juniors to build success.

CSKA only has Vasilieva this season in juniors if nothing changes: very consistent but really needs to work on the second mark cause she is a bit too much focused on the elements, maybe she should take notes from her team mate Tarusina.

Viktoria Safonova is a great jumper but you can tell she saves power for these elements, she should skate the full program with the same power and more speed.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think if Daria gets a silver at her first event - totally achievable imo - she's good to go for a second. She was 3rd at Cup Final and Elder Age and top 10 at JNats.

I totally think it’s within her abilities but given her few shaky performances I’m worried about her self confidence. She did get on the podium here but unfortunately didn’t at either Moscow champs (younger and elder) or younger age nationals. Hoping she can reset over the off season and become more consistent in competition because she has really nice qualities. She seems to stiffen up/tense up in competition and often trips in the step sequence (she even fell once :/ but is in good company - so did Alena)

I really like her skating and wish for a successful international debut!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Tarakanova is great, i think she is ready for seniors, and we saw this season in the free program how she can really use that choreo sequence which unfortunately she doesn't have in juniors. I hope for the best for her, i don't think they'll give her another chance in juniors to build success.

Tarakanova said she will be junior in the next season.

Azikin

Medalist
I wouldn't say the group is as strong as last season, but it is still incredibly strong nonetheless.
And last year first three qualifiers for JGPF were pretty much given, although some people had doubts about Scherbakova at the beginning (but she dispelled those doubts very quickly).
This year it should be a more even and interesting battle.. hopefully without politicking for the sake of diversity.. ;)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Tarakanova said she will be junior in the next season.

Yes, i'm just saying she would be ready for seniors if they allow her to compete there, this will likely be the last season in juniors for her so i hope she leaves on a strong note to build momentum.

Orlov

Medalist
Masha Sotskova changed coach. Now she is with Sokolovskaya (coach of Alexander Samarin)

Buyanova:

"Masha and I came to the conclusion that our working relations had been exhausted, mutual understanding disappeared. In this case, there is simply no point in continuing to work together. Masha decided to go to the coach of our club, Svetlana Sokolovskaya. I sincerely wish her to achieve better results under the guidance of a new coach than those that were achieved during our joint work."

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Masha Sotskova changed coach. Now she is with Sokolovskaya (coach of Alexander Samarin)

Buyanova:

"Masha and I came to the conclusion that our working relations had been exhausted, mutual understanding disappeared. In this case, there is simply no point in continuing to work together. Masha decided to go to the coach of our club, Svetlana Sokolovskaya. I sincerely wish her to achieve better results under the guidance of a new coach than those that were achieved during our joint work."

I’m glad Buyanova is so supportive despite no longer being Masha’s coach. Hopefully her new coach will work more on URs.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Buyanova:

Why not Sergej Davydov though?

Also it makes me wonder if Tarusina is going to move to Buyanova now (i hope not)

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Why not Sergej Davydov though?

Also it makes me wonder if Tarusina is going to move to Buyanova now (i hope not)
To me, I think Sokolovskaya is quite a good coach, or seems so at least(at CSKA) I don't know a lot about Davydov, but does he have any senior skaters at the moment?

figurefan0726

Final Flight
I wonder if Polina will change with Masha or not. Clearly, Buyanova isn’t helping her that well either. Oh well, who knows? Polina’s in Paris enjoying her off season right now [emoji23]

moriel

Record Breaker
Yes, i'm just saying she would be ready for seniors if they allow her to compete there, this will likely be the last season in juniors for her so i hope she leaves on a strong note to build momentum.

Its not about allowing.
There is no point for her to turn senior to not get any GPs (which also means she is not ready to be a senior in Russia).