2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Looking at his ISU bio it looks like he’s not skating anymore unfortunately. His last entry was 2015.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Just found this wonderful video by Jordan at On Ice Perspectives from the practice at ACI for the men. It features Harry Mattick a fair amount: https://youtu.be/7CevqxxBEHs

He still has the old NISA gilet!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Lilah & Lewis finished 4th at Neblehorn Trophy, missing out on the bronze medal by about 2 points. They scored slightly less than they did at US Classic.
They did well in the free, I just think they need to try and vamp up their rhythm dance as that's where they're losing some points, as they finished 3rd overall in the free dance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes they definitely need to keep working on the RD, but they’ve come such a long way there too compared
To last season! I do think they were underscored in PCS and enough that they would have been on the podium! But onward! They are on the right track!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
In comparison to last season they are much further ahead. Skate Canada is gonna be interesting!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Fear and Gibson are competing at the 2019 Shanghai Trophy this week. Practice is today.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Fear and Gibson are competing at the 2019 Shanghai Trophy this week. Practice is today.

Fear / Gibson scored 76.43 in the short program and 117.37 in the free, to win silver overall with 193.80!! :)

(Ahead of the bronze medallists by over 15 points)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Zoe Jones & Christopher Boyadji were named to fill the pairs vacancy at Skate America, created by the withdrawal of Zabiiako/Enbert. This will be Zoe’s third Grand Prix appearance, after 1998 Skate Canada and the 2017 Internationaux de France.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh my goodness that’s wonderful! I actually didn’t know she had been on the GP in 1998.

Now let’s pray that there is some way we can watch Skate America on TV now the Eurosport is being evasive.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a question about the junior ice dancer Emily Rose Brown.

Her ISU bio lists her as Emily ROSE BROWN, making Rose part of her last name.

However, at the JGP events, Ted kept calling her Emily Rose, as if Rose is her middle name or part of her first name. If she'd been Emily SMITH BROWN he wouldn't have called her as Emily Smith. He may just have been misled by the fact that Rose is usually a first name rather than a last one.

Does anyone know whether Rose is her middle or last name?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Zoe Jones & Christopher Boyadji were named to fill the pairs vacancy at Skate America, created by the withdrawal of Zabiiako/Enbert. This will be Zoe’s third Grand Prix appearance, after 1998 Skate Canada and the 2017 Internationaux de France.

Oh wow! I admire this pair, and especially Zoe, so much. Hoping for an even better season than last year (which was pretty good for them).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't know if anybody here can answer this question, but the UK is currently second alternate to take a Youth Olympics dance spot, and because qualified countries Switzerland and Georgia have no teams that I can identify, they're likely to get a chance to use it. None of the British teams on the JGP are age-eligible, but I noticed that there's a team (Phillips/Panesar) scheduled to participate in the Halloween Cup who are in the right age range per their ISU bio. It doesn't say anything about citizenship, so are they both British citizens? The Youth Olympics has the same citizenship criteria as the regular Olympics.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know if anybody here can answer this question, but the UK is currently second alternate to take a Youth Olympics dance spot, and because qualified countries Switzerland and Georgia have no teams that I can identify, they're likely to get a chance to use it. None of the British teams on the JGP are age-eligible, but I noticed that there's a team (Phillips/Panesar) scheduled to participate in the Halloween Cup who are in the right age range per their ISU bio. It doesn't say anything about citizenship, so are they both British citizens? The Youth Olympics has the same citizenship criteria as the regular Olympics.

Well, I just watched an interview with them, and they both have English accents. :p But, that isn't exactly concrete confirmation.

Here is a story I found about them in their local newspaper:

https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/spo...-for-a-training-trip-of-a-lifetime-to-canada/

It says that Emily is from Woodley, and Jaylin is from Wokingham. Both of these are in Berkshire, England. The significant thing, though, is that the article also says that they are looking to represent Great Britain at the 2022 Olympics. So, to me, that would suggest that there are no issues. But, I don't know for sure.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

However, at the JGP events, Ted kept calling her Emily Rose, as if Rose is her middle name or part of her first name. If she'd been Emily SMITH BROWN he wouldn't have called her as Emily Smith. He may just have been misled by the fact that Rose is usually a first name rather than a last one.

I’m not certain but I can say Rose is a very very uncommon surname in England. In fact I have never come across it.

That said I read some where the skaters have to write down their names for the announcers so perhaps Ted knows something we don’t?

The only way to know for certain is to ask Emily herself I think.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
It says that Emily is from Woodley, and Jaylin is from Wokingham. Both of these are in Berkshire, England. The significant thing, though, is that the article also says that they are looking to represent Great Britain at the 2022 Olympics. So, to me, that would suggest that there are no issues. But, I don't know for sure.

I can't comment on whether there are issues are not as I don't know - but when I first saw his name I just assumed he was from the UK as I believe Panesar is a Punjabi name - in my own experience this would suggest that he was from the UK.

BUT I was so impressed with them at Nationals last year! I can't wait to see them do some Junior Internationals - and they were listed as subs for a couple of JGPs this year. I think Fear/Waddell, Brown/Hernandez, and Gillies/Tarry all age out of Juniors after this season so it will be good to see some new teams out there.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I’m not certain but I can say Rose is a very very uncommon surname in England. In fact I have never come across it.

That said I read some where the skaters have to write down their names for the announcers so perhaps Ted knows something we don’t?

Her instagram suggests that Rose might be her middle name? Perhaps another Emily Brown already existed on the ISU records?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Officialdom, and robots, really struggle when it comes to people who put their full names on forms.

EDIT: It turns out that I had got things wrong about the skater I used as my example. The ISU have actually got his name correct. But, I have left it here as what I am describing may actually apply to somebody. Just not Adam. :slink:

There is another skater who immediately comes to mind whose name is has been treated the wrong way on his ISU Bio. The reigning silver medallist in the French Championships.

His proper Mauritian name (using Eastern naming order) is SIAO Him Fa.
His Westernised name is Adam SIAO.

But because his name was submitted in a way to show both formats (i.e. Adam Siao Him Fa), the ISU assumed his proper first name was part of his surname, and capitalised it too:

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054795.htm

Of course, it doesn't matter when "Adam Siao Him Fa" is said or written in Title Case, as it has both versions of his name in the correct order. But, it is the capitalising of the "Him Fa" on his ISU Bio that gets to me, because that not part of his surname; it is his first name.

Evidently, Adam himself isn't that bothered by it, because he has not requested that it be fixed.

CaroLiza_fan

P.S. I do not like the new design for the ISU Bios that was brought in this week. The writing is far too small compared to the old design, and the first column in the table is now far too wide - double the width of it's contents!

Nirti

Medalist
In Adam Siao Him Fa's case, Siao Him Fa is his full surname. It appears so on every french website and his (older brother?) Benjamin Siao Him Fa skated some years ago with the same surname. It's not a problem in french to have a surname in 3 parts, with or without dashes. Maybe it was en error the first time it was registered so in the register of births/marriages, but then the name is Siao Him Fa and not Siao :)

But I understand the problem you're talking about, it appears often with double surnames, as in spanish or norwegian or danish.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In Adam Siao Him Fa's case, Siao Him Fa is his full surname. It appears so on every french website and his (older brother?) Benjamin Siao Him Fa skated some years ago with the same surname. It's not a problem in french to have a surname in 3 parts, with or without dashes. Maybe it was en error the first time it was registered so in the register of births/marriages, but then the name is Siao Him Fa and not Siao :)

But I understand the problem you're talking about, it appears often with double surnames, as in spanish or norwegian or danish.

I am so sorry. I always thought that it was a combination of a Westen name and an Eastern name.

I must have been confused by the way he uses just "Adam Siao" on some of his social media accounts.

Thank you so much for correcting me, Nirti.

My profuse apologies to Adam.

CaroLiza_fan

pesto

On the Ice

My experience would also be that it is rare, and I don't know anyone with it. There is the golfer Justin Rose. But Wiki seems to think it is quite common - 69th most common UK surname!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_(surname)

As a middle name, it is quite common, I think, because it was a popular first name some time last century, and lots of girls have a middle name in memory of a grandmother, or other relative. My niece has it as a middle name for that reason.