2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 534 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Fluture

Record Breaker
They're on harness, as part of a larger feature from Channel 1 (I don't have an exact video though).

ETA: Liza Nugumanova and Sima to Warsaw Cup! http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109527.htm
Plus, Viktoria Safonova making her international debut for Belarus, and Kurakova skating at a challenger!

Thank you. :thank: Jumps looking good. Let‘s see what she‘ll show us this week at her GP!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I wonder what happened to Tarakanova that she ended up second at her Cup Event? I was pretty sure she was going to win. I mean, Nugumanova is a great skater but she does UR frequently and Nastia T. has never had that problem. Did something happen or was it just a bad day?

Also, couldn’t they have submitted three Russian ladies for the Challenger? Or do they only have two spots there?

I‘m happy for Sima and Nugumanova, though. I hope they have good skates.

Nastya had 2 falls (2A, 3F) and a few URs in her FS.

There are 3 spots technically, but only 2 were filled here.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I wonder what happened to Tarakanova that she ended up second at her Cup Event? I was pretty sure she was going to win. I mean, Nugumanova is a great skater but she does UR frequently and Nastia T. has never had that problem. Did something happen or was it just a bad day?

Also, couldn’t they have submitted three Russian ladies for the Challenger? Or do they only have two spots there?

I‘m happy for Sima and Nugumanova, though. I hope they have good skates.

I watched it, she did quite a few mistakes in both sp and lp. Ending up 2nd was quite good actually, largely it happened because Gubanova got a worse score in her short.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I wonder when was the deadline?
Because it might be that they submitted the winner of the Russian cup event + Serafima, who has a GP needed one challenger.
If Nastia wins her next cup of Russia event, she might get a challenger, maybe?

Tarakanova will be at Volvo Cup the week before Warzaw Cup. It's not a Challenger though.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Nastya had 2 falls (2A, 3F) and a few URs in her FS.

There are 3 spots technically, but only 2 were filled here.

Idk why RusFed keeps giving up their spots. They have too many talented girls for that! Surely, it can‘t be that much more expensive to send a third girl to this competition when they‘re already sending two? I‘m glad that Nugumanova ended up with a challenger, though. And Sima will have a second chance to improve her score, besides her GP. That‘s good. But Tarakanova, Gubanova and maybe Guliakova would need a challenger as well and I hope they get it.

I watched it, she did quite a few mistakes in both sp and lp. Ending up 2nd was quite good actually, largely it happened because Gubanova got a worse score in her short.

Oh no. I hope she‘s not injured and it was just a bad day.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I still recommend that you watch this video with an attentive, sympathetic look, instead of being distracted by the title, even if you don't like this title for some reasone. I felt sorry for Alyonochka and I named the video that way (I have the right to this on my YouTube channel, right?). Title not relevant.

I agree with you... she looks a little lonely in there ... like the new kid in a new school who know one want's to talk ... I felt a little sad when I watch the video ... when Daniil tries to push her to go on the ice and have fun ...

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Idk why RusFed keeps giving up their spots. They have too many talented girls for that! Surely, it can‘t be that much more expensive to send a third girl to this competition when they‘re already sending two? I‘m glad that Nugumanova ended up with a challenger, though. And Sima will have a second chance to improve her score, besides her GP. That‘s good. But Tarakanova, Gubanova and maybe Guliakova would need a challenger as well and I hope they get it.

Oh no. I hope she‘s not injured and it was just a bad day.

Tarakanova looked very uncomfortable. She fell on her first two jumps. I wonder if something was wrong with her boots?

Giving up CS spots makes me suspect that it's a funding thing.

SXTN

Final Flight
Are we really calling Liza a “tragic figure“ now? Because she‘s not beating the the new seniors ? I mean, come on. I know she could improve in some areas and it‘s frustrating that she‘s not winning with how gorgeous some of her jumps are but she‘s not a lost cause and she‘s not “tragic“ either. She can still jump 3 3As! Who else can do that? Of course she needs to improve significantly in some areas and with Mishin sticking to his old mindset, she‘ll have it harder than some. But she’s still very much competitive, scores above 210 regularly and in fact, looks to be very likely to make the GPF this year. Maybe she won‘t make the Worlds team this year but surprise; surprise, out of the 4A, Zhenya, Liza, only three will make the Worlds and Euros team anyway. So we will have half of these girls staying at home, not to mention others like Stasya or Sofia. Should they all end their careers because of that? Are they all tragic figures?

It is what it is and we know with the Russian ladies, there are too many talented of them for just three spots. But we knew would be like that. And I’m pretty sure the “old guard“ Liza and Zhenya knew very well what kind of technical content they‘d be facing this season. They’re all trying their best. But neither Liza, nor Zhenya are 15 anymore, they can’t learn new jumps in a few weeks. They can’t simply change the way they’ve been skating since forever. That will take time and conscious effort. I applaud them for sticking around and doing everything they can possibly do to improve and find ways to challenge for the top spots.

And Liza seems to make changes and be willing to work on her skating skills. Again, she does 3 3A now. She changed her layout after Lombardia when she saw she lost points on that 3Lz+2A seq. She uses her original music again. She tries to have more transitions. She tries, at least. Mishin is problematic in that regard but at least Liza sees her weaknesses. I don’t think she was angry about losing levels on spins this weekend. She was angry about being underscored on her jumps. I don’t know whether what she’s doing will be enough in the end. And it‘s definitely frustrating to see how her weaknesses haven’t been addressed by Mishin all those years. But she‘s not a lost cause, she‘s not tragic and we shouldn’t be talking about her as if she was basically ready to retire anyway. Again, we‘re talking about a skater who scores above 210 regularly and is likely to make the GPF. A skater who has 3 3As. Yes, she does lack considerably in some areas and it’s frustrating to think how much better she might be if her coach had a different mindset. But this whole discussion is starting to become a bit too negative.

Tragic in the way that she tries so hard, has three 3A's consistently in both SP and FS, she works on her flaws (transitions, choreo, higher BV) but still she will not beat any of the 4A from Eteri when they all go clean.

And it is also tragic that Liza has the best technique on her jumps, but will not get rewarded for that. Obviously she has a much better Lutz in terms of toe-pick and prerotation than all the 4A.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Does Russia get to send three girls to a Challenger like a Grand Prix event? Was their a third Russian in finlandia?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Tragic in the way that she tries so hard, has three 3A's consistently in both SP and FS, she works on her flaws (transitions, choreo, higher BV) but still she will not beat any of the 4A from Eteri when they all go clean.

And it is also tragic that Liza has the best technique on her jumps, but will not get rewarded for that. Obviously she has a much better Lutz in terms of toe-pick and prerotation than all the 4A.

She has great technique on the jumps, but everything else counts too. Liza got a huge advantage in the Finlandia SP by doing a 3A versus Alena's 2A, but more than half of that edge was lost on spins alone. It's not enough for Liza to jump great anymore. She has to improve everything else to stay in contention.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
About these Challengers, does FFKKR pay for travel etc, or the skaters themselves, hoping to earn some prize money?

If you don’t have the cash and little chance of winning some?