2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 682 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Why can't we speak Russian tho?

You can. But please provide a translation along with it. If there is no translation your post will be moderated.

Part of this is because we have rules about content here and if we cannot understand what you are saying we don't know if the content is appropriate. People try to slip in politics or religion or bashing/insulting a skater by talking in different languages. It is stated in the rules of the forum that you need to provide a translation if you post in any language other than English. It is also a nice courtesy for your non Russian speaking friends.

Last edited:

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Was here something should not be missed in last twenty pages? I'm afraid of going through all of them.

Please can someone explain what federation means?l

The interesting thing is that the International Skating Union (the governing body for all competitive and Olympic figure skating) does not have any skaters, coaches, judges, or any individuals as members. The "members" of the ISU are National Skating Federations. Thus the United States Figure Skating Association is a member of the ISU, the (South) Korean Skating Union in a member of the ISU, etc. (Some countries have one "member,' some have separate memberships for the Figure Skating Federation and the Speed Skating Federation.)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
See, that's where the ISU is making a big mistake. They should market their new superstars to the hilt, worldwide.

Just like they, errrr, haven't ever managed properly with even bigger megastars Yuna and Yuzu? The ISU's marketing people are way too incompetent. And to be blunt, the three girls are too young for a really big push worldwide to a general mass audience let alone a sports one (they could target teen girls as fans but the idea of how the ISU's out of touch pr division might try to do that makes me shudder)

It's that a claim that members of the panel of judges or tech panel from eastern Europe could be prorussian (from whatever reason incl. the ancestry) sounds, well, very improbable to say it mildly, for the ears of those who live here.

But not, I fear, to anyone who has followed Eurovision for more than twenty minutes.... :devil:

ruga

Final Flight
Was here something should not be missed in last twenty pages? I'm afraid of going through all of them.

1) discussion whether Italian person who lives in the US is American
2) discussion of Satoko Miyahara's jumps (and artistry???)
3) something about FIFA???
4) discussion whether people are corrupt and stupid
5) discussion about what Eastern European means
6) then something about Roger Federer
7) maybe there was something about Russian ladies as well can't recall now
8) a discussion in Russian but it has been deleted

DenissVFan

Medalist

I tried to post about an upcoming event :p I know, boring.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

*showing my age*
This is like the readers digest condensed version of War and Peace: The Russian Ladies thread edition.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Да, я обожаю Росский
Yes, I adore Russian

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*showing my age*
This is like the readers digest condensed version of War and Peace: The Russian Ladies thread edition.

Most like War and More War :laugh: (my parents had a whole bookcase of those, I still recall odd paragraphs from books I've forgotten the names of)

Back in '88 I must have been a freak.

I wanted G/G, K/P, Katerina Witt and Brian Orser to win the Gold. That's 2 USSR and 1 East German.

Katarina Witt was a unique case. Everybody liked her. For some reason, even in the United States fans supported her and never held it against her that she beat the U.S. champions Rosalyn Sumners (1984) and Debbi Thomas (1988; also Tiffany Chin at Worlds). She was like Olga Korbut in gymnastics in that regard.

Plus, she augmented her popularity outside of East Germany by touring in ice shows and ice productions in the U.S. and Western Europe.

Not to mention, her Playboy issue was one of only two editions of the magazine that completely sold out. The other was Marilyn Monroe in 1953.

Last edited:

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice

Nice summary. This thread is a mess this weekend... :laugh: