2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 157 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

gkelly

Record Breaker
You can find short program requirements for each discipline and level here: https://www.usfigureskating.org/story.aspx?id=84109

Download the Singles SP Chart and scroll to the second page to see the requirements for Junior and Senior men and ladies.

As noted above, in Juniors the solo jump and flying spin, and also the change-foot spin for men, rotate each year.

(The lower levels apply to US competitions only; international events at comparable levels may have different rules, but the junior and senior requirements follow ISU rules exactly.)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh no. At Golden spin of Zagreb, Starr’s total score was only 161. Ouch. What happened?
I wish she could switch coaches. She needs help with her jumps, her choreography.

Starr just doesn't have the jumps or firepower to be a contender at any level right now. Assuming it will be Alysa and Hanna Harrell for Jr Worlds do any other Junior girls have the scores to go to Jr Worlds? I'd rather see a younger girl get the experience then someone who already has been on the Senior GP for two years and isn't really progressing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wishing Bradie the best as she skates in this deep field of ladies. I'm just hoping skates clean and performs her best even if she comes in 6th.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Starr just doesn't have the jumps or firepower to be a contender at any level right now. Assuming it will be Alysa and Hanna Harrell for Jr Worlds do any other Junior girls have the scores to go to Jr Worlds? I'd rather see a younger girl get the experience then someone who already has been on the Senior GP for two years and isn't really progressing.

Starr had a decent start to the season but her scores now seem to be plummeting.

It's frustrating, she showed great potential just a couple of months ago.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Wishing Bradie the best as she skates in this deep field of ladies. I'm just hoping skates clean and performs her best even if she comes in 6th.

I just hope she can skate two clean programs too, and then she can say she did her best no matter what the others do.
Who knows what will happen, mistakes can and do happen, someone could bomb and Bradie could move up. I hope everyone skates clean and that nobody has any heartbreaking poor performances though.

Orlov

Medalist
It was really not right. The whole season they “didn’t” see Alysa's URs, and at the very last, important moment they suddenly saw it. It is not good to "relax" the skater, as a result of which she has a "dizziness from success" and a reassessment of her own capabilities (two quads and two trixels), and then stab her in the back.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It was really not right. The whole season they “didn’t” see Alysa's URs, and at the very last, important moment they suddenly saw it. It is not good to "relax" the skater, as a result of which she has a "dizziness from success" and a reassessment of her own capabilities (two quads and two trixels), and then stab her in the back.

That's true but the GPF result was correct, her URs were too obvious to ignore, they were not borderline give the benefit of doubt kind of ones and she also fell.

She should be very proud though, a medal at her first JGPF is a huge achievement! I think Alysa will be fine, despite the jump issues today she is improving her skating all the time.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Except her URs really didn't matter here. If she had done her usually reliable 3A like she always has, she would have won.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Idk i think it only shows judges are split on how to judge these elements.

Some seems more lenient to give a pass because "a girl landing these elements is impressive" while others still check if the jump is fully rotated or not.

For me the judging in the free was more fair because even if you take out all of that you cannot sleep on all the other aspects to consider like height and distance, flow, speed, transitions,... but in the moment i thought Alysa had the gold after landing the two 3.5 lutzes and the second axel and considering Valieva's score (without quad) was high but overall beatable.

(i'm on the same page for 3As or Rika among seniors, just because you're attempting a quad or triple axel it doesn't mean you can get away with underrotations)

As for Alysa this is still an outstanding result for her, last time an american girl got a medal at JGPF was maybe Hannah Miller back in 2012.

brightphoton

Medalist
Except her URs really didn't matter here. If she had done her usually reliable 3A like she always has, she would have won.

To be completely honest, I'm still in disbelief that we live in a time in which people can lament "oh, if only that lady skater had done her triple axel properly, it's usually so reliable"

that's just crazy, we went from the triple axel belonging to only the greatest jumpers like Tonya, Midori, and Mao, to everyone and their cousin doing it :laugh: don't even get me started on a quad lutz or rippon jumps

Orlov

Medalist
That's true but the GPF result was correct, her URs were too obvious to ignore, they were not borderline give the benefit of doubt kind of ones and she also fell.

She should be very proud though, a medal at her first JGPF is a huge achievement! I think Alysa will be fine, despite the jump issues today she is improving her skating all the time.

I do not argue with the results of judging. I'm talking about the fact that inconsistent refereeing hurts sportsmen. They're losing their bearings. Instead of having to work hard to full rotate her ultra-c, Alysa began to "force the situation" (probably it's Russian idiom) - 2 quads and 2 trixel. A strategic mistake was made.

The ISU has to work on the consistency of refereeing. At least her first 4Lz here no worse than 4Lz in Gdansk but in Gdansk no UR (and they had to do it) and here was UR. So dishonest - they must indicate her weakness, so that she would work on it before an important competition.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I do not argue with the results of judging. I'm talking about the fact that inconsistent refereeing hurts sportsmen. They're losing their bearings. Instead of having to work hard to full rotate her ultra-c, Alysa began to "force the situation" (probably it's Russian idiom) - 2 quads and 2 trixel. A strategic mistake was made.

The ISU has to work on the consistency of refereeing. At least her first 4Lz here no worse than 4Lz in Gdansk but in Gdansk no UR (and they had to do it) and here was UR. So dishonest - they must indicate her weakness, so that she would work on it before an important competition.

Maybe she has worked on it and her errors here was due to nerves?

I think Alysa went for such a difficult program not because she thinks she can get away with URs but because she is very competitive and wants to achieve the same success as skaters she admires do, she's a lot like Sasha and very much is inspired by her too.

Orlov

Medalist

Don't you see that your statement coincides with the general meaning of my point of view? Instead of a reliable strategy, she chose a strategy that works if her URs are not called. If here she was given at least one clean 4Lz - she would have won.

Inconsistent refereeing hurts athletes, I insist on it! And I blame ISU

composer

On the Ice
I just watched and press conference and Alysa may skate an EX choreographed by Rohene Ward (or her SP). I hope she does the Rohene choreo!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Don't you see that your statement coincides with the general meaning of my point of view? Instead of a reliable strategy, she chose a strategy that works if her URs are not called. If here she was given at least one clean 4Lz - she would have won.

How was her performance? Did she well in spite of the UR's?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just watched and press conference and Alysa may skate an EX choreographed by Rohene Ward (or her SP). I hope she does the Rohene choreo!

Actually IIRC, I think Rohene choreographed her SP, so there would be Rohene choreo either way, but I would love to see a new exhibition.
Love

Orlov

Medalist
Maybe she has worked on it and her errors here was due to nerves?

I think Alysa went for such a difficult program not because she thinks she can get away with URs but because she is very competitive and wants to achieve the same success as skaters she admires do, she's a lot like Sasha and very much is inspired by her too.

Have you read the "The Prince" of Machivelli? There, among other things, is one interesting and as it seems to me correct, true, thought (I paraphrase adjusting to this situation) - creating a system you have to proceed from the fact that people are bad. Sorry:) It means reflecting on the possible problems of inconsistent refereeing it's necessary to assume exactly the bad thing in people - that, temporarily loyal refereeing will corrupt the athlete. Instead of starry-eyed talk about "inspiration" etc. Sorry, it's cynical, but closer to reality)) You know what? Listen to a smart, successful woman who, unlike you and me, understands these things :)

brightphoton

Medalist

But even in the olden days of skating, triple-triples, and even triples, were not "consistent" jumps. There was a time period in the mid 2000s to early 2010s, where they wouldn't give underrotations if they thought a skater didn't do a full triple -- they'd give a full downgrade. You were a bit short on a triple flip? It was counted as a double flip + negative GOE. A lot of skaters got downgrades. Skaters even debated whether to go for a 3-3, because if they were a bit short on either triple, it was worse than simply doing a 3-2 properly.

Also, in general, I don't think triples can ever be considered guaranteed, safe jumps, even for skaters in their prime

arewhyaen

On the Ice
It's an encouraging result of Alysa to know that she could win or lose on her own terms. For the past 4-5 years, american ladies had to rely on the russians or japanese skaters making mistakes. It's nice to know that we have a skater who, if clean, can compete and beat all her other competitors.