2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 812 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Alina is not a machine, she has the right to fail sometimes. It’s not like she popped her programs all the time and yeah it must be difficult for her to have motivation after winning everything. She keeps skating for her and her fans.

Resa

On the Ice
Alina is not a machine, she has the right to fail sometimes. It’s not like she popped her programs all the time and yeah it must be difficult for her to have motivation after winning everything. She keeps skating for her and her fans.

I think it is still important for her to prove that she is not a one hit wonder like so many people said after the Olympics

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I’m sincerely amazed at how many people have suddenly became Alina’s fans and sincerely worry for her, by saying she’s spiraling downward and stuff. Wow, so many well wishers, it’s simply amazing, what a kind and caring world we live in!

It's quite unbelievable, and similar to watching some Animal Planet documentary and suddenly seeing vultures and hyenas start caring for an injured cub. 'Kind and caring world', indeed.

PrayOrDie

Rinkside
So Russia can keep Rostelecom?

If russian sports sites are correct then yes.

Grand-prix stages and world cup stages are not effected by that decision.

"Russian Minister of Sports Pavel Kolobkov said that the decision of the World Anti-Doping Agency to remove Russia from international competitions for four years will not affect the figure skating tournament “Rostelecom Cup”, which is being held in Moscow."

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Droves? Very few are going to leave... no one in figure skating.

I can't find my old posts about it and google isn't helping(searching for old posts here is pretty bad), but I wrote a lot about the doping issue a few years ago and I frequently mentioned that Mutko should have been fired... and him not being fired says a lot.

The most interesting question for figure skating is will the Rostelecom Cup go to Minsk?

Belarus, isn't that a vassal state to the Russian Federation ... most likely not, financial reasons, national pride and such There was a specific question into Rostelecom Cup in the Kolobkov interview today. Anyway, it's still too early to tell how things will evolve.

Finley

Record Breaker
I think it is still important for her to prove that she is not a one hit wonder like so many people said after the Olympics

She wins everything there is to win as a Junior then everything there is to win as a Senior in three seasons, but she still needs to prove herself to the people calling her a one-hit-wonder?

I don't think so.

Some people will always be ridiculous.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
If russian sports sites are correct then yes.

Grand-prix stages and world cup stages are not effected by that decision.

And here things are getting skewed, if you want a ban of any kind to be effective, it has to be broadly applied. Not only to the events like Olympic Games and World Championships, but also to events of equal and slightly lesser ranking and status, like World Cups, Grand Prix, Continental Championships etc where the same nations appear, governed by the same bodies. CAS will have to work overtime to settle all the cases, and the more delay, the greater the chance Russia misses out on the next Olympic cycle.

ISU subscribed to the IOC charter which subscribed to the WADA anti doping rules. So any ISU sanctioned event should apply the same measures, no loopholes, no back doors.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice

Hasn’t she already proved that though? Last season, she won both of her Grand Prix events, got second at the GPF, second at Euros, and won worlds. This season she got second and third at her grand prix events and the season isn’t over yet. Alina has won all of the medals she possibly could, I don’t think that she is a “one hit wonder”.

AkikoNana

Rinkside
I’m trying to find some new motivation for Alina. The only strong motivation possible for the Olympic champion and for any Russian woman.
Money, fame, fans and powerful acquaintances already exist. It does not help.
I just suggested one option. Can you suggest something else?

Everyone was tired of her constant problems. The team of Eteri, all of her fans, and above all Alina herself. It’s impossible to live on this sinusoid all the time. Bad, good, bad again, good again. Alina takes everything very close to her heart.
It is clear that it will be very difficult for her to catch up with the three girls in content. But turning into a real adult star is still possible.
It is necessary to let in her mind new bright thoughts, new joy, a new meaning in life, something new.
17 years is a great age. It will be a shame if she spends this period of her life in nerves and tears. Why then does she need all these medals?

Eteri is a wise woman. They helped each other last March, I hope they do it again. If they succeed, we will see a new, more beautiful Alina. Not a girl, but a woman. And women first of all need love. I am not a woman, so I can be wrong )))))))))

Well...doing always the skate of the life is not something common among skaters.
If you follow figure skating you probably remember Carolina Kostner career...especially after Turin olympics she completely lost herself and her joy for skating. She partially recovered in 2007 and she won silver in 2008 worlds but she bombed 2009 season and we remember the disastrous 2010 Vancouver olympics.
Should she have retired after that? Yes, for sure. She was very popular and she could have lived a peaceful life in fashion and photoshoot.
But she choose the challenge of a rebirth and the 2011-2014 Olympic cycle was the best for her.
So...even if everything wrong with Alina, why does she can’t continue only for herself and not for victories?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well...doing always the skate of the life is not something common among skaters.
If you follow figure skating you probably remember Carolina Kostner career...especially after Turin olympics she completely lost herself and her joy for skating. She partially recovered in 2007 and she won silver in 2008 worlds but she bombed 2009 season and we remember the disastrous 2010 Vancouver olympics.
Should she have retired after that? Yes, for sure. She was very popular and she could live a peaceful life in fashion and photoshoot.
But she choose the challenge of a rebirth and the 2011-2014 Olympic cycle was the best for her.
So...even if everything wrong with Alina, why does she can’t continue only for herself and not for victories?

Carolina, skating for Italy, had a direct path to World's and the Olympics that Alina, skating for Russia, does not.

halulupu

Final Flight
The point is not that she is failing once. Even pitch perfect she would have ended in 4th or 5th place. And there are no ultra c elements in sight. This is not easy to diguest for someone who once was the technical leader. There is always hope though

Ophelia

Record Breaker
So how would you describe career of the skaters like Karen Chen, Gabby Daleman and many other US and canadian ladies we've seen this season in GP? Or Eunsoo Lim? Those ladies somehow possess the benefit that nobody is writing them off or speaking about "her star has exploded" even when their best is far worse than e.g. Alina's worst. You somehow presume that being "russian star" means winning everything, being on the top all the time, setting world records etc. That's not how it works. There is nobody who would have not bad competition or even bad season, which doesn't mean at all that it can't be better next time. And it was this way many times. Many skaters, if this "logic" would have been applied on them, would be gone long before their triumphs. But somehow, it is always Alina and co. who is always gone after every failed skate. Not only the example of Alina's victory at worlds but also Anna's victory at Russian nats says that it is just stupid to judge it this way. People tryuly are not able to learn.

Oh please, you're comparing apples to oranges. Chen, Daleman, and Lim never "exploded". They've never been superstars and swept the top medals in their debut season.

Yes you can have a couple of bad competitions, but the trend with Eteri skaters is once they start losing, they continue that long-term and their decline always coincides with another skater (or group of skaters) ascent from the same camp. Y'all are focused on cherry picking competitions while the truth lies in the overall trend.

Yeah I agree people truly are not able to learn. I heard the same excuses when Lipniskaia and Medvedeva were struggling and look how that turned out.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Proposed age restrictions won't change anything, neither will banning Eteri from coaching for that matter.

We have a situation where at least 6 world class athletes are competing for 3 spots in National team. Zagitova is at least, 5th skater if she manages to skate her both programs clean, but she is pretty much guaranteed to stay at home, crazy isn't it?

Before blaming Eteri for ending kid's careers, please think what would have happened if say, FIS limited Norway from having more than 3 skiers at worlds.

in fact, whole 'win whatever you can in 2 years and when you are out of team' thing is easily and logically explainable:

Russian Team has 3 spots but has too many world class skaters.

If you aren't alien a-la Messi or Lebron James and competing in a highly competitive sport with never ending supply of new talent, it's highly likely that your post peak or pre-peak performance won't get you in world top 3. )

It's extremely hard to stay at your peak for very long time and the more demanding is the sport for your body, the harder it gets.

You guys are demanding insane stability from Zagitova and sorry, that doesn't work that way :D She is good,very good, a legend etc, but she isn't(and frankly, nobody is) good enough to keep up with 3A when she isn't in her top shape.

Same old story will play again and again until either ISU removes quota system and allows world class athletes to compete or number of talented girls decrease in Russia

Fans and rules are making this 'best or bust' atmosphere and then,when their favorite cant stay best for several years in a raw in face of immense pool of talent who are peaking, they are blaming Eteri for robbing fans of 'story and rivalries'. Many stories and rivalries would be different if every sport was like Russian ladies FS, where slightly less than ideal performance means you are going home.

P.S I think Trusova,barring any serious injuries,is here to stay for a long time, sure her peak will probably pass in year or 2,but if anybody has tools to be ahead of competition even post-peak, it's definitely the Quad Queen

katymay

Medalist
Should she have retired after that? Yes, for sure. She was very popular and she could have lived a peaceful life in fashion and photoshoot.

You can't compare Kostner, she skated in a different time entirely. And, even then, she fell far below the tech level of other skaters. Kostner would have difficulty competing against Novice ladies today. As far as being a "one hit wonder", who isn't? And Alina has had substantial longevity by the high tech standards of current skating. The existance of 3A is an anomoly in figure skating, while there are good juniors out there, there is nothing like Alexandra, Anna and Alyona waiting to spring on next years seniors. Those three really are like a freakish event-sort of like back when we had both Yuna and Mao coming up through juniors.