2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1037 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

halulupu

Final Flight
Sure, Anna's technique isn't perfect but she isn't getting +5s for her jumps either.

What is the problem?
The problem is that some posters here tend to think this is a fanfest and its not allowed to point out technical flawes in this ANALYSIS thread. By the way I didn't mention anna

lpt

On the Ice
The problem is that some posters here tend to think this is a fanfest and its not allowed to point out technical flawes in this ANALYSIS thread. By the way I didn't mention anna

The problem is that some posters here tend to think this is a right place to promote their blatantly false narrative about best Russian skaters.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Sure, Anna's technique isn't perfect but she isn't getting +5s for her jumps either.

What is the problem?

The problem is that she‘s jumping 5 lutzes with edges that look identical to her flips and so far, barring Cup of China, hasn‘t been punished for it. If your lutz looks identical to your flip, one of the jumps is wrong. She went from, what, 3-4 edge calls to none. All because of a letter from RusFed to the ISU, since her edges look the same. If that doesn‘t ring a tiny bit weird to you, I don‘t know what will.

Now, the reason I don‘t discuss this with Nadya is that she seems to be focused solely on Anna, pouring her entire frustration with the judging on a teenage girl who‘s done nothing wrong but listen to her coaches and work hard. Never mind that Anna‘s actually the one who‘s the least at fault here. I‘ve said it before, attacking a literal child/teenager personally makes everything else you might have to say worthless.

Some users trolling doesn’t negate the fact that there is a problem with the judging at the core, however. I don’t agree with users like Nadya who attack the athletes personally but I don‘t agree with those who try to somehow prove Anna has perfect edges either. Look, I like Anna as much as you do but she has obvious issues with her take offs. I‘m sure she‘s working hard on it but it doesn‘t change that she should get ! at the very least. And if you get ! on your quad lutz, the GOE difference is there and it changes things. A good 4T+3T with positive GOE by Sasha for example would be worth more then, in comparison, and I think that is deserved since it is, simply, the better jump. I don‘t think it‘s “bad“ or ”hate“ to point that out. I know how hard it is as a fan, especially when you hear for the hundredth time how your favorite is jumping wrongly or “cheating“. It‘s not necessary to point it out that much, we all know, even fans should know by this point.

That‘s why I wish that we could focus more on the Russian ladies, since we have a thread for technical discussions and it isn‘t this one. Maybe Anna fans can ignore that one then. I know I will, at least. :laugh:

DenissVFan

Medalist
Nastya Guliakova won the Tallink Hotels Cup, scoring 200.11 points. Now if she could get some more assignments next season so that she can get a SB!

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
The problem is that she‘s jumping 5 lutzes with edges that look identical to her flips and so far, barring Cup of China, hasn‘t been punished for it.

Communication No. 2254
SINGLE & PAIR SKATING
Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for marking
Grade of Execution, season 2019/20

II. Updated Guidelines for marking +GOE of Single/Pair Skating Elements
(positive aspects)
These guidelines are tools to be used together with the minus GOE charts. The final GOE of a performed
element is based on the combination of both positive and negative aspects.
It is important that the final GOE
of an element reflects the positive aspects, as well as any possible reductions that may apply.
The final GOE of an element is calculated considering first the positive aspects of the element that result in
a starting GOE for the evaluation. Following that a Judge reduces the GOE according to the guidelines of
possible errors and the result is the final GOE of the element.
To establish the starting GOE Judges must take into consideration the bullets for each element.
General recommendations are as follows:

III. Updated Guidelines in establishing GOE for errors
in Short Program and Free Skating

REDUCTIONS FOR ERRORS
JUMP ELEMENTS

Unclear edge take off F/Lz (sign “!”) -1 to -3
Unclear edge take off F/Lz (no sign) -1

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Well if most of the top russian ladies would have perfect jump technique, the need for disussing it would stop to exist.

Yes, I realize that and I am fine with discussing their different techniques. However, the conversation that is happening now is not productive and it is just hating on one skater. Now if we were to compare Anna’s technique to say another girl who has been with eteri for a while then that would be interesting. Or discussing how the techniques are different for certain coaches, what makes a certain technique work for a certain skater, comparing the technique of the current russian stars to the youngsters in juniors or novice, etc. I could go on for forever. Complaining about uncalled wrong edges for pages and pages is just not productive in my opinion.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Nastya Guliakova won the Tallink Hotels Cup, scoring 200.11 points. Now if she could get some more assignments next season so that she can get a SB!

Wow! Congrats to Nastya for totally turning her season around. At the beginning of the season she looked totally off - doubling jumps in the 2nd half of her program, looked to be in pain (maybe injury) etc. I hope she has another good showing at the Cup Final. I would love to see her get the Rostelecom host spot next season - IMO she earned it. I’ve always felt bad she didn’t get a 2nd JGP in the 2017-18 season (only skaters who won their first event got a second that year) even though she deserved it. Hopefully she will be given another chance next season with Challengers as well.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty

Has anybody ever claimed that Anna's lutz is perfect? Has anybody ever called her lutz edge 'deep outside'?

No and No.

Real problem is that majority of people who are constantly ranting about Anna's lutz edge and so called 'pre-rotation' are blind haters of one certain figure skating school in Russia.

If you want to tell me that whoever is behind 'deep outside edge' and her followers care about Anna's technique and aren't purely making videos and commenting out of hate,sorry but that isn't going to fly.

You can open ANY video about her which is in English and you will see hordes of people who are calling her jumps to be downgraded due to mythical 'extreme pre-rotation' 'rule'.

Don't be surprised if some people have enough of Eteri-Haters 'caring' about integrity of technique and try to shut down any discussions about it, to be frank, I have long ago stopped reading figure skating comments the second I see 'pre-rotation' mentioned in them - I got tired to death explaining people,who don't want to understand why 'cheated take off' call is so rare and why whatever they call 'pre-rotation' has NOTHING to do with it.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Seeing that you are so passionate about correct edges and technique, you should post about it in a thread dedicated to it. If I remember correctly there was a thread a while back titled “flutz and lip” you could post something about it in there or you could start your own thread with your proposal of a possible rule change. That way people who like to discuss edges and technique can talk about it with you.

While edges on jumps and jump technique are important and I like reading about it occasionally, I primarily come to this thread to read people’s posts about the russian ladies. I don’t want to read through pages about posts arguing about edges and technique. I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way. I am not trying to be mean but I am just trying to offer suggestions that would allow me to only read about the russian ladies and for you to discuss edges and technique.

I know, i'm sorry, the thing is it has almost become a meme this idea that only russians cheat their jumps, when in reality it is much broader, and i don't even feel the need to point fingers towards the skater who has these issues cause in my opinion: we know it, the judges know it, so why condemn the athlete, the protocols should reflect those mistakes. I made some examples above just to prove that there are many other skaters with overlooked edge issues, or underrotations, or blade assist,... Most of the rules are already there especially in regards to edges, while as i mentioned i think there should be a new one for the full blade.

These are very common issues, that said it is important to remember that these are indeed issues: just because they are common doesn't mean it's okay to have them.

Here’s Bradie’s 4CC freeskate. Feel free to scrutinize and let us know specifically which of her jumping passes were “under rotated and pre rotated”. All 99% of them. :rolleye:

https://youtu.be/ij0jfFXfNYI

You're right, recently her jumps got better and higher, so saying 99% of her jumps are under is a bit of an hyperbole.

But in the previous performances especially from last season and the one before, there were a lot of underrotations (especially in the combos) sometimes overlooked.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Wow! Congrats to Nastya for totally turning her season around. At the beginning of the season she looked totally off - doubling jumps in the 2nd half of her program, looked to be in pain (maybe injury) etc. I hope she has another good showing at the Cup Final. I would love to see her get the Rostelecom host spot next season - IMO she earned it. I’ve always felt bad she didn’t get a 2nd JGP in the 2017-18 season (only skaters who won their first event got a second that year) even though she deserved it. Hopefully she will be given another chance next season with Challengers as well.

Yeah hopefully they'll do something similar to what they did to Samodurova and Ignatov with some Challenger early in the season then one GP confirmed with the other TBD depending on how she performs at the first one.

Despite the slow start this season, she has always been a fairly consistent skater over the years with good qualities, it is surprising to see she hasn't had her Senior GP debut yet.

Pantsu

On the Ice
When her toepick hits the ice her edge is flat. That's all what matters.

The author of that bs video doesn't apply his trick to Boyang. Should we call that flat ?
https://imgur.com/a/QIImetQ

Just watched the original video(the skating Holy Grail). It shows that you should have an outside edge right at the moment of take-off. So, by that logic, i see no other choice but to claim that Boyang lutz in the video is flat. And Anna's edge still can be called flat

The video
https://streamable.com/urf6w
Compare:
https://imgur.com/a/UDDfs1w
https://imgur.com/a/IVMB5HT

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Just watched the original video(the skating Holy Grail). It shows that you should have an outside edge right at the moment of take-off. So, by that logic, i see no other choice but to claim that Boyang lutz in the video is flat. And Anna's edge still can be called flat

The video
https://streamable.com/urf6w
Compare:
https://imgur.com/a/UDDfs1w
https://imgur.com/a/IVMB5HT
He indeed does have strong outside edge in the moment of the take off, then when he is already going into the air that changes. The same thing is shown in this video of ISU, when she already goes into the air, her edge also changes like Boyang's. I watched this ISU video with 0.25 on YouTube. So what is your point?

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight