2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1051 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
Tarakanova had a terrible skate. It was not good at all. I honestly think it would have been better for her to not compete here (like Vasilieva). Next season is at stake, and you don't want to go out with a catastrophy performance.
Sad for NastyaT. At least she gave this event a try.

After watching her sp I think she still has the it factor. It looks she survived puberty and her artistry keeps improving. Her edge is also very good.
I'm glad you've noticed that about Gubanovas edge and her artistry which is so natural. It is a minor miracle that she seemingly has survived puberty since puberty has hit her harder than anyone I can remember and lasted for longer than anyone I can remember. It's been like a 3 + year battle of puberty for Nastya. Hopefully she can start next season with open skates and get some actual events even if it only challengers. She got buried this year and only skated in the Russian Cup series, the St Petersburg Open and Nationals.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I don’t think 1.53 GOE is crazy for her lutz. That means she had an average between +2/3. She clearly ticks off the good height and length bullet for me, and had very good body position in the air and in her landing. Obviously she doesn’t get the steps before the jump bullet, but I don’t think it’s so crazy that the judges marked her around the +2/3 range.

What was crazy was Gulyakova not even receiving a ! for her lutz which is a full “e” and getting +4s.

LRK

Record Breaker
Tarakanova withdrawn due to injury, recurring ankle, or just for protection, or as an excuse for her bad performance? So confusing ....

But probably even more so for Anastasiya herself, what will become of her?

What's so confusing? She's already withdrawn from two major competitions - senior & junior Nationals - because of injury. Why is it so inconceivable to you that it may still be troubling her, that you must go off and concoct conspiracy theories?

There is enough drama on this thread to satisfy anyone, one would have thought, but some people are insatiable, it seems…

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
What's so confusing? She's already withdrawn from two major competitions - senior & junior Nationals - because of injury. Why is it so inconceivable to you that it may still be troubling her, that you must go off and concoct conspiracy theories?

There is enough drama on this thread to satisfy anyone, one would have thought, but some people are insatiable, it seems…

LOL, calm down, please :)

Tarakanova is at the crossroads of her career. A sprained ankle really takes months of recovery? I really hope it is the injury, but so far in the Russian media no clue was given as to why Anastasiya withdrew.

I was so hoping for a complete comeback and clean skating, much like many of us, this withdrawal comes as a disappointment. But our feelings, emotions and opinions are insignificant as to what this might mean for Anastasiya's chances.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What was Guliakova’s total score for this event?

Is it possible for her to get the host GP next season, or be invited to the test skates this September?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Is it possible for her to get the host GP next season, or be invited to the test skates this September?

total score is here: https://fsrussia.ru/results/1920/cor1920_final/CAT006RS.HTM

We don't know how this somewhat disputable RCF score is weighed by the FFKKR officials in charge over next season's team composition and Test Skate invitations.
And what course FFKKR proposes, since it will likely be #TeamTutberidzeForProgress and some 'other skaters'.

Seems like the 2005 born skaters haven't yet displaced any of the older but 'lesser' skaters.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don’t think 1.53 GOE is crazy for her lutz. That means she had an average between +2/3. She clearly ticks off the good height and length bullet for me, and had very good body position in the air and in her landing. Obviously she doesn’t get the steps before the jump bullet, but I don’t think it’s so crazy that the judges marked her around the +2/3 range.

What was crazy was Gulyakova not even receiving a ! for her lutz which is a full “e” and getting +4s.
Why do you think Gulyakova got away with that?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

I think they'll give her at least one GP next season, possibly 2 if she gets some early Senior B events.

She has been in the mix for a while, she did well at Nationals AND she won Russian Cup Final. Plus she's working on the triple axel. There are more than enough reasons to give her a chance.

Her jumps in the second half of the free skate are still under, she has to work on stamina for sure. Gubanova though should deserve a spot, she's still a fantastic all around skater and with a very mature style now, but i think between the two now Gulyakova has more chances.

SkateSkates

Medalist

As I mentioned yesterday, I believed with a “visually clean” skate (ie no falls or pops but edge calls/URs that might be overlooked) she would win. It was in the Fed’s interest to have the spare for worlds win this event just in case she is needed. And that’s exactly what happened. Her GOE and PCS were boosted just enough (plus the lack of edge calls) to put her over another skater with a similarly “clean” skate and identical tech content. And in my personal opinion, Gubanova should’ve had the PCS buffer over Gulyakova to win overall.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think they'll give her at least one GP next season, possibly 2 if she gets some early Senior B events.

She has been in the mix for a while, she did well at Nationals AND she won Russian Cup Final. Plus she's working on the triple axel. There are more than enough reasons to give her a chance.

Her jumps in the second half of the free skate are still under, she has to work on stamina for sure. Gubanova though should deserve a spot, she's still a fantastic all around skater and with a very mature style now, but i think between the two now Gulyakova has more chances.

Unfortunately neither of the Nastyas are on the SB list this year, so their only hope is the host pick. I would bet it’s going to Gulyakova. The only other way either could get a GP is if they win an early season Challenger which puts you at the top of the replacement list in case someone WDs. For example, if Alina submits her name and is assigned 2 events but later decides she isn’t ready to come back and Gubanova wins Nebelhorn she could replace Alina, assuming the host fed invites her. I am not sure if you are added to the replacement list if you don’t win a challenger - someone please jump in if you know.

Both of their best bets is to hopefully get challenger assignments and preferably 2 so they have multiple chances for a high SB and can earn WS points.

Orlov

Medalist

If you want formalities (I remind you, all these bullets it's recommendations cuz, you know, "General recommendations are as follows:"), then we have:

"Long preparation -2 to -3"

You think that it's not too much "Long preparation"? Okey, give -1, but you must distinguish this type of performing a jump, from type of performing with normal, natural preparation like, for example, Akatieva's 3Lz (GOE 1.65) because otherwise it's just not fair. In real life, if you see a person walking a tightrope with ease, almost dancing, and a person walking slowly with his arms outstretched you immediately say "the second one is less professional, his sense of balance is less developed". And here, suddenly, you do not see how Gubanova extinguishes all the micro-vibrations of the body (when she "freezes" and goes in a straight line), mentally focusing on remembering the feeling "do it as in training". I'm sorry, but I can't ignore it. And for me it's outrageous that for this 3Lz give 1.53 GOE when Akatyeva's 3Lz give 1.65 GOE a day before .

And as for me such centuries-old "frozen" skate on direct lines for half a rink should be reduced PCS. Because I don't see a whole performance. I see "gaps". I see an artist who inspiringly and convincingly read his lines - " Three thousand devils! Musketeers! One for all and all for one!" but immediately after this, the fencing scene began and he fearfully, slowly, mechanically makes fencing techniques, with relief finishes this difficult task and again inspiringly continues "Friends, we have won! The cardinal's guards are defeated!" To hell with this theater. This is the 21st century, not this grandmother' skates along the sides of the rink from the 20th century.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Triple axel score boost even though she didn't show it, just saying she's working on it, and put it as a planned content was enough to put her in a different light.

Plus the good momentum coming from Nationals and Tallinn Hotels Cup and the fact she is a sub for Worlds.

She was the favourite to win this event going in.

Scott512

Record Breaker
As I mentioned yesterday, I believed with a “visually clean” skate (ie no falls or pops but edge calls/URs that might be overlooked) she would win. It was in the Fed’s interest to have the spare for worlds win this event just in case she is needed. And that’s exactly what happened. Her GOE and PCS were boosted just enough (plus the lack of edge calls) to put her over another skater with a similarly “clean” skate and identical tech content. And in my personal opinion, Gubanova should’ve had the PCS buffer over Gulyakova to win overall.
Agreed. Especially your last sentence.

You were right SS everything you said in predicted came to fruition. For sure nastya should have had the PCS edge.

In this instance it sure paid to be a Mishin girl. But even if Nastya finished second I think she still should have been the alternate for worlds so they didn't have to protect her that much. Both nastyas were good that's for sure.

SkateSkates

Medalist
If you want formalities (I remind you, all these bullets it's recommendations cuz, you know, "General recommendations are as follows:"), then we have:

"Long preparation -2 to -3"

You think that it's not too much "Long preparation"? Okey, give -1, but you must distinguish this type of performing a jump, from type of performing with normal, natural preparation like, for example, Akatieva's 3Lz (GOE 1.65) because otherwise it's just not fair. In real life, if you see a person walking a tightrope with ease, almost dancing, and a person walking slowly with his arms outstretched you immediately say "the second one is less professional, his sense of balance is less developed". And here, suddenly, you do not see how Gubanova extinguishes all the micro-vibrations of the body (when she "freezes" and goes in a straight line), mentally focusing on remembering the feeling "do it as in training". I'm sorry, but I can't ignore it. And for me it's outrageous that for this 3Lz give 1.53 GOE when Akatyeva's 3Lz give 1.65 GOE a day before .

And as for me such centuries-old "frozen" skate on direct lines for half a rink should be reduced PCS. Because I don't see a whole performance. I see "gaps". I see an artist who inspiringly and convincingly read his lines - " Three thousand devils! Musketeers! One for all and all for one!" but immediately after this, the fencing scene began and he fearfully, slowly, mechanically makes fencing techniques, with relief finishes this difficult task and again inspiringly continues "Friends, we have won! The cardinal's guards are defeated!" To hell with this theater. This is the 21st century, not this grandmother' skates along the sides of the rink from the 20th century.

Akatieva’s lutz was good, but the 2nd half of the combo was not so good and landed almost at a standstill. Her toeloop was off axis in the air and she had to save it a little. I am a big fan of Sofia, and I think you are too, so don’t you agree to me she can do it better? (And has many times)

I would give her a bullet for matching the music and steps before the jump but I can’t give her effortless throughout because she had to fight for the toe, or good position because she was tilted in the air. The final landing position is nice. The height and distance on the lutz is good but the toeloop didn’t have enough distance to give that bullet to the entire jumping pass in my opinion.

So overall what I’m trying to say is these are 2 very different lutz jumping passes I would give +2/3 to for completely different criteria bullets. They look totally different from their approaches and execution, but that’s okay! I think the scores were fair for both. Now, if Gubanova had received +5 across the board and Akatieva only 0s, I would agree. But this is why judging panels are made up of multiple people - I can see jumps as fulfilling certain criteria and you can see it differently. And maybe there’s another person here who has arguments for completely different bullets.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Triple axel score boost even though she didn't show it, just saying she's working on it, and put it as a planned content was enough to put her in a different light.

Plus the good momentum coming from Nationals and Tallinn Hotels Cup and the fact she is a sub for Worlds.

She was the favourite to win this event going in.
you were correct on all of this. You knew what was happening and why.

Triple axel boost is truly one of the funniest things I've ever heard. How can you get a boost on that in competition when she had never even done one in competition? Practice doesn't count. Or maybe it does in Russia. Since Sasha and Anna are adfing triple axels I'm sure they'll get credit for them even if they don't use it. ;)

Orlov

Medalist

I like it when the host of "Good morning" takes a mini-interview with children

- What about your coach, Eteri Tutberidze, is she strict? (whispers) Tell us in confidence.
- No, she's kind. Beautiful. And hardworking.
- Allows you to eat candy?
- No

:laugh:

Then the host made a diversion and gave the children chocolate gold medals :laugh2:

Orlov

Medalist
They look totally different from their approaches and execution

Yes, Sofia's jump is easy and natural, and Gubanova's jump is not easy and unnatural.

My main idea is that this jump can't be a natural part of the program. The Gubanova program is a program that is interrupted for executing elements. Akatyeva does this only for the sake of the Quad. And Gubanova is so tormented for the sake of triples. These are skaters of different classes. And this should be displayed in points.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I like it when the host of "Good morning" takes a mini-interview with children

- What about your coach, Eteri Tutberidze, is she strict? (whispers) Tell us in confidence.
- No, she's kind. Beautiful. And hardworking.
- Allows you to eat candy?
- No

:laugh:

Then the host made a diversion and gave the children chocolate gold medals :laugh2:

These children are already very serious about their sport and the adults they work with. They know strictness and sometimes harsh words are needed, but feel neither offended nor burdened by this. One of the features of the Tutberidze Effect is, it makes the skaters think for themselves, gives them the means and powers to evaluate themselves. No doubt the same applies to the other top rinks: don't treat your wards as puppets, but as real people, give them your confidence and trust and they pay you back with loyalty and gratefulness though self realisation.

https://youtu.be/c0gsQcCMepI with the same fragment.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
you were correct on all of this. You knew what was happening and why.

Triple axel boost is truly one of the funniest things I've ever heard. How can you get a boost on that in competition when she had never even done one in competition? Practice doesn't count. Or maybe it does in Russia. Since Sasha and Anna are adfing triple axels I'm sure they'll get credit for them even if they don't use it. ;)

It's part of the usual PR speaking in figure skating you hear in every country. It's not just a russian thing they all do this.

For example Jason Brown has been saying for ages that he's going to plan x many quads, i recall past interviews even with Kori Ade saying that cause you want to be seen as a top contender, and without quads it's tough to be considered competitive in men's figure skating. But how many times have you seen him actually landing a quad sal or a quad toe?

Evgenia also has been saying for like 2 years that she's working on quad salchow, we've never really seen it yet. In an old interview i recall Eteri saying she tried quad salchow even with them but you can see it when a jump is not your own.

Same with Wakaba Higuchi, she has been saying for like 4 years that she's working on quad sal and triple axel, we're starting to see the triple axel only now.

There were even talks last summer of Miyahara allegedly working on quads, despite that technique.

There isn't a concrete proof that x skater got better scores because he/she's working on a particular element, but just saying it does put you in the perspective of someone willing to work on such elements in order to have the most difficult programs and stay competitive.

For me while we haven't seen it yet in competition i can believe it: Mishin has always been obsessed with the axel technique, Gulyakova was working on 3a even with Klimkin, her jumps are very big, i think at some point we'll see it.

At this competition despite she had it as a planned jump, she never looked like she was going to attempt it.