2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 221 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I think if she were sent to the “right” coach her joy would absolutely be squelched.

Moonvine unfortunately you are right. It could happen with wrong choices.. Natural positivity and sense of joy can be fragile things but I think these characteristics are innate in Alysa's personality.
Fingers crossed the right decisions are made in her future training going forward tho she seems to have a strong sense of self, knows what works for her and can assert herself even at her young age. She is a National treasure!

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Alysa is going to be a Trusova type skater if she can control the carrot farm.

The one advantage she has is her ability to perform. Don't fall, stop farming carrots and the judges will forgive her deficits when it comes to PCS. PCS often rises when the tech is successful.

Honestly it's not all doom and gloom. Sure she may not catch Kamila but if we rake everybody else over the coals they probably won't catch Kamila either.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Also have to add I think she did really well this year. Yes it was hard to see her cry after the short program but better to have those feelings and get used to them now than later.

She's at a different place in her skating. She was the baby tot under dog last year. Now she's America's next big thing. No amount of "stop hyping her" will stop the hype. Better to let her face it head on, maybe break a little and learn to pull herself together. It's a reality she'll need to confront being talented, charming and insanely adorable. People will notice and with recognition comes pressure.

natsulian

Final Flight
Hanna is still injured it seems as per her coach’s Instagram. Wishing her the best. She’s been injured since June.

macy

Record Breaker
Hanna is still injured it seems as per her coach’s Instagram. Wishing her the best. She’s been injured since June.

wow thats really too bad...i hope it doesn't affect the upcoming season. and i really hope it doesn't turn out to be career ending, similar to Aliona Kanysheva. Hanna has so much potential.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by KatGrace1925 View Post
It is because of who my favorite skater is that I don't like the idea of putting so much pressure on Alysa when while she has some bright points doesn't have the full package.
All this. How quickly people forget.

I don't think people have forgotten at all. I think that what would (or does) put more pressure on Alysa is having a lot of criticism directed at her, so many people telling her what she's doing wrong, what she needs to fix. I think her team has done a wonderful job of keeping her head on straight and keeping the things that make her special: her joy in skating, her natural performance ability, and her big jumps.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of emphasis put on making Gracie the full package. That's what all the commentators, etc. said (at Nationals 2014) was happening when she became Frank Carroll's student in Sept. or October of 2013. He even said it, that her previous coaches had done a wonderful job teaching her technique, and that he was there to work on the other areas. I say the best thing to do is ease off Alysa a little, give her a break. It's too late to prevent her from being a 2-time US champion. If she's going to keep loving skating, she needs happiness and support around her. JMO.

readernick

Medalist
I don't think people have forgotten at all. I think that what would (or does) put more pressure on Alysa is having a lot of criticism directed at her, so many people telling her what she's doing wrong, what she needs to fix. I think her team has done a wonderful job of keeping her head on straight and keeping the things that make her special: her joy in skating, her natural performance ability, and her big jumps.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of emphasis put on making Gracie the full package. That's what all the commentators, etc. said (at Nationals 2014) was happening when she became Frank Carroll's student in Sept. or October of 2013. He even said it, that her previous coaches had done a wonderful job teaching her technique, and that he was there to work on the other areas. I say the best thing to do is ease off Alysa a little, give her a break. It's too late to prevent her from being a 2-time US champion. If she's going to keep loving skating, she needs happiness and support around her. JMO.

Yes, anyone who thinks their uninformed rude criticism is helpful and going to prevent stress is either A deluded or B just trying to come up with an excuse for being a grown adult bullying a child . Everyone (including Alysa) knows what she needs to work on, suggesting she needs to leave what appears to be a positive supportive training environment so that she can win is in no way going to help to reduce her stress or prevent media attention. Frankly, Alysa isn't being hyped by the American media ( 99.9 percent of whom don't care about figure skating). She might be receiving pressure from the figure skating community but I can't believe it is anything as harsh or stress causing as the intense criticism showered at her online。If you don't like the direction this sport is headed, find a way to change the judging system. Don't take out your frustration on a child.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alysa is going to be a Trusova type skater if she can control the carrot farm.

The one advantage she has is her ability to perform. Don't fall, stop farming carrots and the judges will forgive her deficits when it comes to PCS. PCS often rises when the tech is successful.

Honestly it's not all doom and gloom. Sure she may not catch Kamila but if we rake everybody else over the coals they probably won't catch Kamila either.

I don't think we can make any assumptions at all about how these 14 years olds will be competing two years from now. At this point in the last Olympic cycle, Alina placed 9th at Russian juniors while Evgenia won everything that season aside from one silver at Rostelecom. I don't think anyone in the world is as far ahead of Alysa as Evgenia was over Alina then, so the American has plenty of time to catch up and surpass her peers. It doesn't mean that she will, but it's not impossible either.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Alysa stated on Instagram today that she is considering keeping her programs for next season.

That would be a strategic error. She needs to move up into the next level of maturity in program and presentation. Like Kwan between the 1994-1995 season and the 1995-1996 season, although Alysa could certainly stick with happy, upbeat programs if that's what floats her boat. Judges are going to be expecting something more, not retreads.

bytheriver

On the Ice
I really hope she gets a new short program.

Or even just goes back to “I’ve Got Rhythm” that she had in the summer. Repeating the SP for a third time would be a miss. I also hope she gets a new long program, but I can understand timing and everything might not allow it depending on how the virus shapes up. I know Alysa mentioned she was the one who wanted to go back to Don’t Rain on My Parade, so it wasn’t like they dumped I’ve Got Rhythm because it wasn’t working.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Nooo and why??? I really wanted to say her sp is horrible for a 14 year old not to mention a 15 year old. Her LP is also very bland. The better strategy would be bring two programs that a Olympic worthy and keep one of them for the 2021-2022 season.

Alysa stated on Instagram today that she is considering keeping her programs for next season.

skatinggold

On the Ice
Nooo and why??? I really wanted to say her sp is horrible for a 14 year old not to mention a 15 year old. Her LP is also very bland. The better strategy would be bring two programs that a Olympic worthy and keep one of them for the 2021-2022 season.

If she is keeping her programs, something is wrong with her team. Those programs were not good at all. She needs to play a character and entice people into the performance like how Michelle did with Salome. Also, she needs faster Music which will make her seem faster. It will be a disappointment if she keeps her programs.

frida80

Record Breaker
International travel is going to be sticky for several months, which makes it pretty hard to be ready for the season starting this summer. I hope she goes for choreographers like Rohene or Shae, who can highlight her personality.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she is keeping her programs, something is wrong with her team. Those programs were not good at all. She needs to play a character and entice people into the performance like how Michelle did with Salome. Also, she needs faster Music which will make her seem faster. It will be a disappointment if she keeps her programs.

There is something wrong not with her team but with the world.
We may not see many skaters with new programs. Travel will be difficult and in some cases impossible. Training time will be severely curtailed. In the grand scheme of things, whether or not she keeps her programs is so unimportant right now.

katymay

Medalist

I enjoy her long program (and the Witches of Eastwick-last year) but this is a mistake-recycling a program is a risk for anyone. The short program I dislike intensely-it is baby-ish and too cutsey IMO. I honestly groan the minute I hear the music start. I hope she at least gets a new short program.

elliana

On the Ice
Aliona, Anna, Rika, they had great programs. I really hope Alysa is moving in that direction with program choice. They're not that much older than her.

macy

Record Breaker
i totally understand travel is challenging right now, but she can still travel domestically within the US currently. there are lots of good choreographers she has access to within the country. she doesn't even necessarily have to worry about it right this second either, it wouldn't hurt her to wait a couple months to get new programs. it will still only be may by then.

keeping these programs would be a mistake, as they are both a bit child-like (especially the short) and she needs to start going for a more mature look as she gears up for the olympics the following season. her skating needs to grow as she does. keeping a program for a 3rd time is generally a big no no, as we saw with Ashley Wagner. as much as i LOVED moulin rouge, it was very very stale by then (as was HHCC, although i think that season was the 2nd time she used it). going down that road will not help her one bit.