2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 220 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I doubt Alysa would change coaches just like that. Perhaps her and Laura would move rinks, I can't imagine Alysa would leave her entirely at this point.

On another note, I find Alysa's performance and presentation to be the best of the Junior podium. Their SS, TR, and perhaps CO far surpass Alysa, agreed. However, Alysa performs and interprets not only much more, but also much better in my view. Of course none of this is represented in scoring, but I would say Alysa has her own strengths and there is an effort being put in her weaknesses as well.

Her happiness on the ice is similar to Ting’s. :) when I think of them in my head, I always picture their big smiles as they land jumps. Both have that and a junior world bronze :agree:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Barkell or Orser would be great moves. Rather have Orser, but if he’s unavailable... Barkell please. Like you said though, she seems comfy in her current team and I don’t think she will switch ..... I think it could be very helpful if she were to change coaches, but I don’t see it happening.

Best of luck to her in improving in whatever environment she’s in. :luv17:

Why does her environment need improving? Because she came in 3rd at her first junior worlds instead of 1st?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Why does her environment need improving? Because she came in 3rd at her first junior worlds instead of 1st?

Clearly if Alysa can't beat a skater who set a world record total score at that event, something is terribly wrong and she needs to fire her coach and uproot her entire family to move closer to a coach that she'll probably have worse results with.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Errrr, look. I am, as people probably know, not a fan of Nathan Chen. However, I do remember all the post-Olympics "he must get new coach! he must change or else!! he will never be topppp!!" talk. And of course, he didn't change. And.... well, as I said, just look.

Let the child and her family decide for themselves what is the best path for them to take. They are the ones who will bear the consequences, bad or hopefully good.

bytheriver

On the Ice

I don’t think losing to Kamila was a sign that something needs to change - Valieva is just a stronger all-around skater. The issue is that with 3 triple axels and 1 quad lutz (or even two) she can’t beat a skater without those big elements. Daria has great qualities, but as the Russian number two against the American senior national champion with multiple big elements, she shouldn’t be beating Alysa.

She does because she is miles ahead of Alysa in speed, skating skills, and jump quality. Hopefully Alysa’s team will be successful working on those, but people are suggesting a coaching change because her best shot seems to be the 2022 games, and the pre-Olympic year is already here.

But that’s also if we keep our expectations at the Olympic champion/Olympic medalist level - if we are more realistic and hope for a success similar to Karen Chen, Gracie, or Bradie, then the conversation is completely different. The higher the hype, the higher the expectations.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She does because she is miles ahead of Alysa in speed, skating skills, and jump quality. Hopefully Alysa’s team will be successful working on those, but people are suggesting a coaching change because her best shot seems to be the 2022 games, and the pre-Olympic year is already here.

From my perspective, almost everything has to be going right for a 14 year old to have a relatively solid 3A, land a ratified 4Lz, and win two senior Nationals. Any disruption to the routine that got her where she's at is a huge gamble. I can't think of any coaching changes that resulted in a dramatic makeover of a skater's strengths. Alysa will probably not skate like Alena K anytime in the foreseeable future (if ever), so I think she should continue to focus on her strengths and work to improve other areas as much as she can.

readernick

Medalist
Because she's a slow skater with shallow edges who has tiny jumps and is prone to under-rotations. We all know how the story goes.

She is 14. Let her be. She is working on improving these things and it doesn't change overnight. Your favorite skater ( or I assume she's your favorite skater based on your avatar) had mental problems and an eating disorder because of the pressure she was put under. I think you, of all people, should be a little more compassionate toward a girl who is 14. If she wants to change coaches, she will. Otherwise she seems happy and joyful on the ice, and that is the most important consideration when deciding on a child's coaches in sports.

macy

Record Breaker
I don’t think losing to Kamila was a sign that something needs to change - Valieva is just a stronger all-around skater. The issue is that with 3 triple axels and 1 quad lutz (or even two) she can’t beat a skater without those big elements. Daria has great qualities, but as the Russian number two against the American senior national champion with multiple big elements, she shouldn’t be beating Alysa.

But that’s also if we keep our expectations at the Olympic champion/Olympic medalist level - if we are more realistic and hope for a success similar to Karen Chen, Gracie, or Bradie, then the conversation is completely different. The higher the hype, the higher the expectations.

this is the main factor behind the changing coaches conversation.

it's not that Alysa isn't doing well for her age or that anyone is trying to degrade any of her accomplishments, because she has had a great season and is a 2x senior national champ. she has a lot to be proud of. this isn't about her not being able to make the 2022 olympic team and at the rate she is going right now, that is very much within reach.

but if she wants to medal or win at the olympics, she may have to seriously consider going to another coach who can make her a main rival to a skater like Kamila. she and Daria are both younger than Alysa, and they skate like they're years older than her. Alysa has to be the full package if that is her goal, she can't solely rely on difficult jumps as her main point getters. she still finished some 15 points behind Kamila in the FS at jr worlds, and 2 behind Daria who attempted no 3As and no quads.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Barkell or Orser would be great moves. Rather have Orser, but if he’s unavailable... Barkell please. Like you said though, she seems comfy in her current team and I don’t think she will switch ..... I think it could be very helpful if she were to change coaches, but I don’t see it happening.

Best of luck to her in improving in whatever environment she’s in. :luv17:

She seems so happy and doing well; let things be Get a new choreographer perhaps. I am not a huge fan of developing only the good skaters can come from a certain coach/school. Besides ice is slippery Remember we have had Shipiiland, Zueva, Krylova, Carmelango, even choreographers are like fashion Bezic and Kawahara all have been at higher pinnacles. T

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Late to the party but congrats to Alysa! I think a medal of any color is an accomplishment and should be applauded. Winning would have been great but I think bronze is a great medal for her. It's going to keep her hungry and motivate her to continue to work.

I don't think Alysa needs to switch coaches at all. Her current team is doing just fine. If she went through this whole season without any improvements from last year, I'd say make a change. However, she did improve. Alysa gained more polish and control in her in-between movements, her jumps were tighter and higher, and she has made improvements to her speed and skating skills. Yes, she still has a ways to go in a number of areas but, in most cases, progress doesn't happen all at once. She and her team are very aware of her problem areas and they are working on them. They seem to be very comfortable utilizing other coaches and consultants so I'm sure she will continue to work and improve during the off-season.

In her debut season she finished with two gold JGP medals, a silver JGPF medal, another senior national title and a junior world bronze medal. That is a fabulous season of skating. People need to chill. Alysa is doing just fine.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
:palmf:
In fact, they look serious and concentrated.
Some people just should learn how to accept defeat with dignity.

I adore Alysa's joy in her ice performances: I think she is wonderful and could not change that aspect of her persona if she tried, and, why would she?! Aliona K seems to possess a natural exuberance too and her fans love her enthusiasm and respond to her in like fashion. which is totally charming... Both have the ability to captivate an audience because their positiveness shines thru the performance.. it really comes down to differences in personality of individual skaters and, interestingly, music choices, if done appropriately highlight a skater's individual uniqueness..

KatGrace1925

Medalist
She is 14. Let her be. She is working on improving these things and it doesn't change overnight. Your favorite skater ( or I assume she's your favorite skater based on your avatar) had mental problems and an eating disorder because of the pressure she was put under. I think you, of all people, should be a little more compassionate toward a girl who is 14. If she wants to change coaches, she will. Otherwise she seems happy and joyful on the ice, and that is the most important consideration when deciding on a child's coaches in sports.

It is because of who my favorite skater is that I don't like the idea of putting so much pressure on Alysa when while she has some bright points doesn't have the full package. Two time national champion is a lot of pressure on a 14 year old and seeing the disparity between her nationals and international scores it's obvious the USFS is putting all their bets on her and I don't like that. We've seen how that plays out, that is frightening. I want her to be able to make improvements because I am scared of the pressure she is under and if she doesn't make those improvements I worry how that will effect her if she does not meet the expectations the US placed on her. They're treating her like the female Nathan Chen, and we saw what the pressure did to him at the olympics. He also seemed very mentally strong like Alysa seems now but the pressure at a certain point can get to everyone.

natsulian

Final Flight
Technically, Alysa was second only to Kamila Valieva and with a 4Lz AND a 3A that were deemed under, she was about 7 points below Kamila. I think the carrot farm she racked up during the JGPF hurt her reputation. Now, her jumps, especially the 3A, have to be insanely well rotated for judges to give it to her. This season will be crucial for her in terms of setting up for Beijing.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In her debut season she finished with two gold JGP medals, a silver JGPF medal, another senior national title and a junior world bronze medal. That is a fabulous season of skating. People need to chill. Alysa is doing just fine.

:clap:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I adore Alysa's joy in her ice performances: I think she is wonderful and could not change that aspect of her persona if she tried, and, why would she?! Aliona K seems to possess a natural exuberance too and her fans love her enthusiasm and respond to her in like fashion. which is totally charming... Both have the ability to captivate an audience because their positiveness shines thru the performance.. it really comes down to differences in personality of individual skaters and, interestingly, music choices, if done appropriately highlight a skater's individual uniqueness..

I think if she were sent to the “right” coach her joy would absolutely be squelched.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is because of who my favorite skater is that I don't like the idea of putting so much pressure on Alysa when while she has some bright points doesn't have the full package. Two time national champion is a lot of pressure on a 14 year old and seeing the disparity between her nationals and international scores it's obvious the USFS is putting all their bets on her and I don't like that. We've seen how that plays out, that is frightening. I want her to be able to make improvements because I am scared of the pressure she is under and if she doesn't make those improvements I worry how that will effect her if she does not meet the expectations the US placed on her. They're treating her like the female Nathan Chen, and we saw what the pressure did to him at the olympics. He also seemed very mentally strong like Alysa seems now but the pressure at a certain point can get to everyone.

All this. How quickly people forget.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
but if she wants to medal or win at the olympics, she may have to seriously consider going to another coach who can make her a main rival to a skater like Kamila. she and Daria are both younger than Alysa, and they skate like they're years older than her. Alysa has to be the full package if that is her goal, she can't solely rely on difficult jumps as her main point getters. she still finished some 15 points behind Kamila in the FS at jr worlds, and 2 behind Daria who attempted no 3As and no quads.

While this may be true, I think a lot of people are assuming that Alysa can get a lot better artistically without losing her technical advantage. If she can't do the 3A, it won't matter how much better her skating gets. There will be no Olympics for her. She is the best junior in the World outside of Eteri's rink, and would also be one of the best seniors (using scoring potential as the metric).

KatGrace1925

Medalist
While this may be true, I think a lot of people are assuming that Alysa can get a lot better artistically without losing her technical advantage. If she can't do the 3A, it won't matter how much better her skating gets. There will be no Olympics for her. She is the best junior in the World outside of Eteri's rink, and would also be one of the best seniors (using scoring potential as the metric).

Her scoring potential is not going to get much higher than it's gotten internationally if she doesn't give the judges what they're looking for. We've seen girls with big tech not do well before because you have to have the skating skills as well. She needs both. She will not be truly competitive for the top spot on the podium without both. The current top skaters might all still be around in 2 years. Also Bradie has been working on a 3A, and if she get's it then Alysa's not going to continue to be the default national champion.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Her scoring potential is not going to get much higher than it's gotten internationally if she doesn't give the judges what they're looking for. We've seen girls with big tech not do well before because you have to have the skating skills as well. She needs both. She will not be truly competitive for the top spot on the podium without both. The current top skaters might all still be around in 2 years. Also Bradie has been working on a 3A, and if she get's it then Alysa's not going to continue to be the default national champion.

I agree with everything you're saying. Alysa would be one of the top skaters in the world with Alena's skills. I just question whether any coach out there, who realistically would take on Alysa, could put her on a different, better path than she's already on. I think Eteri's skaters are successful primarily because of the environment they train in, and Alysa has to somehow get to that level without that competitive group around her.