2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 222 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Agreed with everyone saying keeping Don't Rain On My Parade in particular for a third season would be a mistake. It was cute at first, but I'm pretty tired of seeing the program and it doesn't help her PCS internationally. I don't think she needs to necessarily jump to something as mature as Salome, but anything that requires her to respond to more complicated nuances of music would be welcome. As for the long I'm still disappointed she went for the soft part of the New World Symphony and not the bombastic part. IMO if you're going for big elements it's more exciting with big music.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I don't think they would keep her programs. I think her team wants to show growth- that isn't easy to do with the same program. It made sense to keep her short because she was moving up a level and it was a fun program for her. But I agree it would be a mistake to keep them again.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I really liked her previous SP to Spanish music, and think that she should go that route. DROMP is so Toddlers and Tiaras. She cannot do that three years in.a row! I wasn't impressed at all with her LP this year, but figured it was a "next step in artistic growth" program. She needs a better, more mature LP. This program does nothing for her.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't worry too much about her programs, mostly because she will still be a junior next season and her results will be largely dependent upon her jumps and overall skating ability anyway. I do like seeing her skate to lively music because I think slower pieces would highlight the lack of speed she carries across the ice.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
i totally understand travel is challenging right now, but she can still travel domestically within the US currently. there are lots of good choreographers she has access to within the country. she doesn't even necessarily have to worry about it right this second either, it wouldn't hurt her to wait a couple months to get new programs. it will still only be may by then.

keeping these programs would be a mistake, as they are both a bit child-like (especially the short) and she needs to start going for a more mature look as she gears up for the olympics the following season. her skating needs to grow as she does. keeping a program for a 3rd time is generally a big no no, as we saw with Ashley Wagner. as much as i LOVED moulin rouge, it was very very stale by then (as was HHCC, although i think that season was the 2nd time she used it). going down that road will not help her one bit.

I agree, keeping the programs would be boring. I didn't like the short but love the long. However I don't want her to keep either of them, no matter how much I love her fp step sequence. The one problem is that a lot if not most rinks are closed right now, and even though travel within the united states is possible, its not a good idea in these circumstances. Plus, Lori, who she probably would want to go to again, is in Canada. I'm hoping that she'll find a way to get new programs though, or at least get new ones for the second half of the season or something, if getting them over the summer is really impossible.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, she needs faster Music which will make her seem faster.
Skating to fast music doesn’t make you seem faster if you are not, in fact, fast — rather, the disconnect between you and the music highlights lack of speed and can even make a reasonably speedy skater seem slow.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skating to fast music doesn’t make you seem faster if you are not, in fact, fast — rather, the disconnect between you and the music highlights lack of speed and can even make a reasonably speedy skater seem slow.

Agree. I was at a live competition years ago where all the lower-ranked men had fast music at the end of their program to build to a climax. Unfortunately, none of them could keep up with the music, giving off a "very tired skater" vibe instead.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

Yeah, I actually thought that the free program music was really a really good choice for her this year because it didn't force her to go fast and she could just focus on her edges and positions (and she also did improve her SS throughout the season).

sheetz

Record Breaker
Maybe it depends on the skater/choreography? For instance, Nam is still not a particularly fast skater but the "Get Back" finale of his freeskate was used really well to get the audience all pumped up.

bytheriver

On the Ice
Maybe it depends on the skater/choreography? For instance, Nam is still not a particularly fast skater but the "Get Back" finale of his freeskate was used really well to get the audience all pumped up.

I think music can get the audience excited, but it’s almost in spite of a slow skater, not because of them. I think that the long was much more effective for her because it wasn’t faster than her natural pace. If she had used the more bombastic part of the symphony it wouldn’t have worked well given her current skill set. So I’m fine keeping the long in a pinch, but please at least drudge up “I’ve Got Rhythm” from last summer. It was already choreographed by David Wilson (?) I believe. Either him or Lori.

So if the travel ban doesn’t lift before June, I could see them doing that. Any later than June would be too little time before the JGP to train the program, but then again if the rinks in the US aren’t open before June, our skaters have bigger problems.

readernick

Medalist
Honestly, given the spread of the virus throughout, essentially, all of Europe and North America ( basically the whole World) and the closing of borders between countries. (and recommendations to avoid nonessential travel between countries and domestically). It may not be feasible to get new programs. Additionally, lockdowns and shelter in place orders will definitely affect practice time for skaters. I think Alysa's health and the health of those surrounding her is far more important than whether we like her current programs or not. Priorities folks.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Isn't Liu a senior next year? In the old system clean Bradie Tenill could beat Liu. Same with a Bell. Actually the Covid 19 virus favors or helps Liu. Without world results adding to point totals for rankings she will have a better chance when the USFS looks at body of work.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nam's program worked well for him, but I wouldn't say it made him look fast; indeed, toward the end he does a lot of standing still and gesturing to the audience to amp them up.

Ultimately, your music choices should highlight what the skater does well and, ideally, mask whatever they don't do so well. With Alysa her #1 asset, performance-wise, is her charming, ebullient personality. She isn't as fast as some of the other top skaters, but as long as you don't have her skate to "Flight of the Bumblebee", I don't think that's a big problem.

Orlov

Medalist
Honestly, given the spread of the virus throughout, essentially, all of Europe and North America ( basically the whole World) and the closing of borders between countries. (and recommendations to avoid nonessential travel between countries and domestically). It may not be feasible to get new programs. Additionally, lockdowns and shelter in place orders will definitely affect practice time for skaters. I think Alysa's health and the health of those surrounding her is far more important than whether we like her current programs or not. Priorities folks.

As for me, this is not about "like her current programs or not" as about mental development of the athlete, which is especially important at such a young age. Even if her programs were amazing, you need to change at least one program a year to develop a young skater.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoy her long program (and the Witches of Eastwick-last year) but this is a mistake-recycling a program is a risk for anyone. The short program I dislike intensely-it is baby-ish and too cutsey IMO. I honestly groan the minute I hear the music start. I hope she at least gets a new short program.

I also hope she chooses a different short program. Doesn't she already have I've Got Rhythm as an alternate? Not that I love that choice, either.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I liked Alysa's SP for a first year junior SP, but that's all. I don't think it's a good vehicle for a young skater that's going to be moving up to senior ranks in the Olympic season in 1 year. I like her FS and I think it grew well throughout the season, but the music is a bit of a bore. The StSq was beautiful and perfectly choreographed to her abilities, though :love:

natsulian

Final Flight
Ting stated via her Instagram that she is keeping her LP but is getting a new SP. Additionally, she said her injury has gotten much better and has just started to jump and spin again. Best of luck to her.

As for Alysa, I hope she gets new programs that challenge her artistically and move her forward.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Ultimately, your music choices should highlight what the skater does well and, ideally, mask whatever they don't do so well. With Alysa her #1 asset, performance-wise, is her charming, ebullient personality. She isn't as fast as some of the other top skaters, but as long as you don't have her skate to "Flight of the Bumblebee", I don't think that's a big problem.

There's a difference between "fast" (as in powerful, covering the ice at a higher velocity in miles/hour or meters/second) vs. "quick" (maintaining a movement tempo of more beats per minute).

Strong skaters can demonstrate good speed across the ice when skating to very slow tempos.

Skaters with less power might still be able to maintain a quick tempo -- maybe quicker than a skater who covers the ice with more speed.

For one thing, quickness tends to come easier to smaller skaters, whereas longer-legged skaters may have a mechanical advantage in generating power/speed across the ice.