2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

nancela

Rinkside
English translation to Charlie Bilodeau press conference

Thanks, but I'd like to read what was his reasoning to end his career.

There was a complete translation by clicking on the option for English. Here's the google translation that came up.

Charlie Bilodeau looks at the camera.
Charlie Bilodeau - Finally free
“My decision is irreversible: it's over. Today, I officially turn the page. I say goodbye to figure skating. It is an indescribable relief. A feeling of freedom like I haven't experienced in a very long time. "

Signed by Charlie Bilodeau

Posted at 6:47 a.m.

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share by email
The author is a figure skater. He ranked 9th in a couple with his partner at the time, Julianne Séguin, at the Pyeongchang Olympics.

At thetime of writing, I still haven't announced it to my coaching team or my partner, Lubov Ilyushechkina.

But my decision is irreversible: it's over. Today, I officially turn the page. I say goodbye to figure skating.

It is an indescribable relief. A feeling of freedom like I haven't experienced in a very long time.

At the same time, I feel guilty and I fear the moment when I will have to tell them. I know it will be a blow to Lubov and to Richard Gauthier, our head coach. But for once, I want to listen to myself, follow my instincts and above all, take the time to explore what life without skating can offer me.

Thereality is that I embarked on this project when I already had a knee on the ground. Exhausted in recent years, I have revived with great fanfare with a new partner, like a good workaholic.

Last edited by a moderator:

40millionyears

Spectator
You can read it in English through Google Translate - it's very insightful and worth reading in full. Basically he says he's had trouble with motivation and balancing skating and his life since before Pyeongchang.

ETA: nancela beat me to it!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It's quite a long story. There's a lot going on, but the most important part is that although Figure Skating is part of his identity, it's not him. He feels that after the Olympics in 2018 - which had been an important goal - he needed a change of scene and then he thought he would like to go for a medal next. Hence his contacting of and trying out with Lubov. It worked out well at first, but he became rather unhappy during Nationals and 4CC (and not just because of the results), and realised he wanted more out of life than 'just' Figure skating. There is also an expression of guilt - towards Julianne, towards Lubov, towards Richard.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Do I read the translation correctly—Charlie announced this to the press before he told either his partner, or his coach?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I hope he contacted them to thank them afterwards. It's weird to announce one's retirement to the press first. Perhaps he didn't want to be persuaded to keep going...

sillylionlove29

Rinkside
2019-20: Splits, Partner Changes, and Retirements

Do I read the translation correctly—Charlie announced this to the press before he told either his partner, or his coach?

Yes Lubov just posted on Facebook...it’s a knife in the back I had no idea. She said she was notified yesterday afternoon and she was not expecting anything like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well Aru Tateno un-retired and is now skating with Kiria Hirayama

So Japan now has 4 Ice Dance teams, what a quick turn around from 1 in 1 season

Komatsubara/Koleto
Muramoto/Takahashi
Fukase/Cho
Hirayama/Tateno

Five.
Utana YOSHIDA /Shingo NISHIYAMA may have been junior this year, but they could well be skating senior when next there is skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good heavens. What is going on today—is there a deadline to declare your status for funding approaching, or something like that?

In the case of Quinn, the wording that Lorraine and he used strongly suggests to me that they purposely did not make an announcement until after the ISU's official decision to permanently cancel Worlds, which came today.

(Lorraine and Quinn were third alternates for 2020 Worlds.)

From their joint account mcnamaracarpenter: "Upon the close of the 2019-20 season, Quinn has made the decision to retire from competitive ice dance. ..."

From Lorraine's account lorrainekmac: "As the 2019-2020 season is officially behind us, Quinn has made the decision to retire from competitive skating. ..."​

I will miss this lovely partnership. :sad4:

:ghug: My best to Quinn and to Lorraine. :ghug:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the case of Quinn, the wording that Lorraine and he used strongly suggests to me that they purposely did not make an announcement until after the ISU's official decision to permanently cancel Worlds, which came today.

(Lorraine and Quinn were third alternates for Worlds.)

From their joint account mcnamaracarpenter: "Upon the close of the 2019-20 season, Quinn has made the decision to retire from competitive ice dance. ..."

From Lorraine's account lorrainekmac: "As the 2019-2020 season is officially behind us, Quinn has made the decision to retire from competitive skating. ..."​

I will miss this lovely partnership. :sad4:

:ghug: My best to Quinn and to Lorraine. :ghug:

The thing that stings to me the most is that I never got to see them skate in person. I wish the best of luck on both of their paths in life.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope he contacted them to thank them afterwards. It's weird to announce one's retirement to the press first. Perhaps he didn't want to be persuaded to keep going...

That was my thought, too. Releasing a press statement first has this feel to it: Doors Slammed. Bridges Burned. Decision Final. I'm done.

And, that's fine. I can respect walking away from the sport if he's well and truly done with it all.

But for goodness sake. He's a grown man. He should have the courage and courtesy to let his partner know.

Edit: I now understand from a post on another thread that he told her in a videoconference of some kind beforehand. Under the current stay-at-home situation, that's probably the best he could manage in terms of telling her "personally."

I'll leave my original remarks unedited, because I wrote 'em. I own 'em.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm sorry about Quinn Carpenter, because there's a team that never quite reached its full potential.

Here's hoping Lorraine finds a partner worthy of her. And that she moves from Delaware, which has never really seemed to "get" senior level dance.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry about Quinn Carpenter, because there's a team that never quite reached its full potential.

Here's hoping Lorraine finds a partner worthy of her. And that she moves from Delaware, which has never really seemed to "get" senior level dance.

Maryland.