Coronavirus and the new season | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
there're talks of vaccines ready for september and in dicember for the large distribution

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Considering the estimated 12 to 18 months timeline for vaccine development, the 2020-21 season may not happen.

If this happens, we would be going straight into Olympic season with skaters trying to get back in form after 1.5 seasons off ice.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If this happens, we would be going straight into Olympic season with skaters trying to get back in form after 1.5 seasons off ice.

More likely, they'd push back the Winter Olympics by a year the same way as they did the Summer Olympics.

Andrea82

Medalist
In Germany some athletes are back on ice.
Muller/Dieck posted from rink last week. They were wearing masks on ice
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xpDyKIxQI/

Oberstdorf is also open now. Ruben Blommaert and Lukas Britschgi posted IG Stories from ice there today.

In Finland Emmi Peltonen is back on ice today.

MaHa75

On the Ice
Great news from Canada!https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157196722672039&id=129815677038 if i read previous post then i dont unerstand why lot of people panic like they wish that next season will canceled. Opposite way in europe you can skate already many places like norway, sweden, finland, estonia, austria, germany, cech...there will be soon lot more places...so i am going to be optimistic that season will began at the end of august and everything will be ok. This virus will not disappear anywhere and we start kiving again normsl life. And about vaccine...we have vaccine for flue but still lot of people yearly dies because of flue. So wash your hand dont kiss strangers and start living.
people!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Great news from Canada!https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157196722672039&id=129815677038 if i read previous post then i dont unekrstand why lot of people panic like they wish that next season will canceled. Opposite way in europe you can skate already many places like norway, sweden, finland, estonia, austria, germany, cech...there will be soon lot more places...so i am going to be optimistic that season will began at the end of august and everything will be ok.

Yeah, Ontario and Montreal aren't going to be back on the ice any time in the next two weeks at least. Though as I said earlier, private institutions like the Cricket Club may be able to apply for and get permission to start earlier.

Skate Canada is good at communicating but the one thing I don't see there is any reference to restricting how many people are on the ice at the same time (I know Switzerland, for example, is reopening rinks about now and has limits on how many people are allowed on at one time and how they can be spaced on the ice). I'd feel more comfortable if they did, but maybe they feel it's covered by provincial guidelines on persons permitted per square metre of space available.

As for the season staring as normal, people may be back on the ice in different countries but most of those countries are not permitting international travel and won't for a while yet. Longer if they're smart. Airlines aren't flying much either. So the logistics of running international competitions are still very disrupted. Some Challengers may be able to go ahead with much smaller fields than usual because skaters train outside their home countries (ACI might actually stand a decent chance on that front depending on when Ontario permits training to resume), but getting the required number of international judges will be extremely hard. I don't know if they could get an exemption from that requirement and still have the marks count for season's best purposes etc.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Great news from Canada!https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157196722672039&id=129815677038 if i read previous post then i dont unerstand why lot of people panic like they wish that next season will canceled. Opposite way in europe you can skate already many places like norway, sweden, finland, estonia, austria, germany, cech...there will be soon lot more places...so i am going to be optimistic that season will began at the end of august and everything will be ok.

It's not the skating within your own country (or training country) that may prove the problem. It's all about when international travel restrictions will be lifted...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Remote, slightly (censored word here) regions, with a few populated places where everybody comes to meet, have a drink, goes shopping, visit the doctor, library, hospital, congregate, poor regions with little healthcare, a sure recipe for disaster. In Russia, in the USA and elsewhere.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
the death rate is low though luckily ( andit's damn scary nobody recovered in uk), i wonder why :think:

People will have recovered there, they just aren't being recorded. All the numbers we see are a bit off what's actually happening on the ground because everywhere records things differently, eg Belgium's case numbers are higher because they report both confirmed and suspected cases without differentiating, Ontario's recovery rates are higher than Quebec's because if you're not dead or hospitalised at 14 days after diagnosis they automatically list you as recovered, France's death numbers were artificially low for a while because hospital deaths and nursing home deaths were reported separately and only hospital deaths were passed on, etc.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
People will have recovered there, they just aren't being recorded. All the numbers we see are a bit off what's actually happening on the ground because everywhere records things differently, eg Belgium's case numbers are higher because they report both confirmed and suspected cases without differentiating, Ontario's recovery rates are higher than Quebec's because if you're not dead or hospitalised at 14 days after diagnosis they automatically list you as recovered, France's death numbers were artificially low for a while because hospital deaths and nursing home deaths were reported separately and only hospital deaths were passed on, etc.

what a mess!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

The most accurate way is to compare general number of death cases in ones population from last year (when corona didn't exist) with this year/month/this point of time. I think the number of deaths in UK and Belgium comparing to April last year risen the most.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The best way is to compare general number of death cases from last year (when corona didn't exist) with this year/month/this point of time. The number of deaths in UK and Belgium comparing to April last year risen the most.

Or compare pneumonia deaths last year April to this April.