2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 99 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Anyone have predictions/hopes for anyone's music? I'm personally hoping for a ballet program for Kamila, amongst other things.

Kostornaya - Legend of 1900 for the SP (since we already know the FS). Even if it isn't that particularly, i'd like to see something more aethereal and soft which i think suits more her skating.

Shcherbakova - Piano Concerto Rachmaninoff (SP), a Movie soundtrack (The Shape of Water?) for the free. Basically reverse what she had this past season this time with classical for the short and more contemporary for the long.

Trusova - Once upon a time in Mexico/Dark Eyes (SP) it has to be something more upbeat, Violin Concerto (FS), basically the piece Miki Ando skated in 2007.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It doesn't make him terrible to say his skater was "robbed" it does however point out his lack of objectivity - Trusova lost twice internationally to Kostornaia and once more at Nationals as well and Kostornaia was undefeated, placing first, all season. So its a bit ridiculous to say that Trusova was robbed from winning the best newcomer award because Kostornaia won it; had Young You won then sure both Kostornaia and Trusova would have reason to complain. The best thing I think coaches should be doing with these awards (if they continue) is remind their skaters that these awards are not the goal - goal is winning actual competitions; if that means they get an ISU award then that's an extra benefit, but if they don't win it then it's no big deal because its not the goal.

Of course Plushenko is not terrible. he was my favorite skater for a few years I felt he should have won gold in Vancouver and I enjoyed him his whole career. But you make the most pertinent point of all about his lack of objectivity and why. Merci beaucoup.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Speaking of which, I wonder when Daniil will post his yearly "program beginnings" video. Probably when their camp at Novogorsk ends, but idk when that is.
I vaguely remember reading they would be in Novogorsk until july 20th, but I'm not sure...

Anyone have predictions/hopes for anyone's music? I'm personally hoping for a ballet program for Kamila, amongst other things.
I wouldn't mind Alina repeating her SP or FP since we saw them so little and both had potential to get even better, but her Outro EX was really lovely, we only saw it twice and I wouldn't mind seeing it adapted as a program :love:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I vaguely remember reading they would be in Novogorsk until july 20th, but I'm not sure...

I wouldn't mind Alina repeating her SP or FP since we saw them so little and both had potential to get even better, but her Outro EX was really lovely and I wouldn't mind seeing it adapted as a program :love:

I'm glad Alina is keeping her programs. Because she skated so little last season they're almost like new programs for the public.

As for Kamila I would love to see her do Romeo and Juliet. I have no doubt it would be one of the best ever. She can pull that off even as a junior.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm glad Alina is keeping her programs. Because she skated so little last season they're almost like new programs for the public.

Hated Zagitova's SP music from last season. I would like to see her do something more of a lyrical variety, like Romeo & Juliet or even Star Wars which has some soft, lyrical music. She's got some posture issues and I feel like the last 2 seasons the music has highlighted those problems more than hide them which I think a softer styled program could do.

As for Kamila I would love to see her do Romeo and Juliet. I have no doubt it would be one of the best ever. She can pull that off even as a junior.

I'd like to see Valieva do something other then an R&J program, just based off the music I think it would be too similar to her programs last season, which were both a similar style to each other. They were lovely, yes, but similar and given the following season is an Olympic year they are likely to go super-safe with those programs; her last year in Juniors, she's got the Junior titles she could win, go a little funky this year.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight

As lovely as it would be, Kostornaya has done is very recently, I really doubt they would repeat it.

As we always see Kamila in this emotional/lyric style, I would really like to see her doing something funnier, jazzy maybe. I think she could pull it off.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I'd love to see Anna do a jazz or tango. Or maybe a warhorse character piece since she hasn't done that yet. Classical is definitely her strength, but the season before the Olympics seems like a good season to experiment and further prove to the FS community that she's the artist (where as Sasha is already known as the jumper and Alena the one with the best skating skills). I think last season she was the "forgotten one" in terms of hype and maybe to the judges as well and she needs a defining trait to set her apart. A big well known character or mature piece would help a lot. It would also be a good way to diversify her interpretation and I think she can pull off any genre with her musicality. Then she can save the big classical piece for the Olympic season.

If Alina were to keep one of her programs I hope it would be Me Voy. Choreographically it's Daniil's best, imo. Cleopatra, in comparison, was quite generic and nowhere near as nuanced. I'd like to see something lyrical for her FS as we haven't really seen that from her, just the steps in POTO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how the Russian ladies are doing from the top group. How are the doing growth wise? Jumping? Programs? Are there updates? I am curious about puberty for a lot if not all of them. They have tough competition this year from Liu, Tennell if she is doing the 3A, Rika Khira, maybe ET. I wonder what the second group - Liza and Evgenia will do to improve technically and artistically - Liza has room to grow there a lot. There were some potential challengers from Korea too. I can't wait to see how Trusova is doing with a new coach.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
It doesn't make him terrible to say his skater was "robbed" it does however point out his lack of objectivity - Trusova lost twice internationally to Kostornaia and once more at Nationals as well and Kostornaia was undefeated, placing first, all season. So its a bit ridiculous to say that Trusova was robbed from winning the best newcomer award because Kostornaia won it; had Young You won then sure both Kostornaia and Trusova would have reason to complain. The best thing I think coaches should be doing with these awards (if they continue) is remind their skaters that these awards are not the goal - goal is winning actual competitions; if that means they get an ISU award then that's an extra benefit, but if they don't win it then it's no big deal because its not the goal.

Eh, when do you learn the Russians are "working" different way? If they are asked by the journalist they will say what they are thinking. That's all. I found tasteless, that Scott citated only him despite to the fact others were asked , too ( Radionova, Bestseminova, Averbukh, Rodnina, etc.) and citated only his opinion on Trusova. He had opinion Zagitova, Hanyu, etc.

moriel

Record Breaker
Eh, when do you learn the Russians are "working" different way? If they are asked by the journalist they will say what they are thinking. That's all. I found tasteless, that Scott citated only him despite to the fact others were asked , too ( Radionova, Bestseminova, Averbukh, Rodnina, etc.) and citated only his opinion on Trusova. He had opinion Zagitova, Hanyu, etc.

I think we judge Plushenko by the collective of his work, rather than a single person.
He was a great skater, yes, but his behaviour in the last years is not something one could call nice. Consider his splits with Sakhanovich and Tarakanova (specially last one, where a teenage girl managed to stay classier than him). Consider the stories about his family - his wife is basically a pageant mom, and there are some interviews stating that they beat their kid. And so on and so forth.

Don't take me wrong, I loved and still love his skating. But I don't think that the dislike for him as a person is something entirely unjustified.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Hated Zagitova's SP music from last season. I would like to see her do something more of a lyrical variety, like Romeo & Juliet or even Star Wars which has some soft, lyrical music. She's got some posture issues and I feel like the last 2 seasons the music has highlighted those problems more than hide them which I think a softer styled program could do.

I'd like to see Valieva do something other then an R&J program, just based off the music I think it would be too similar to her programs last season, which were both a similar style to each other. They were lovely, yes, but similar and given the following season is an Olympic year they are likely to go super-safe with those programs; her last year in Juniors, she's got the Junior titles she could win, go a little funky this year.
Romeo and Juliet would be an interesting and superb choice for Alina.

As lovely as it would be, Kostornaya has done is very recently, I really doubt they would repeat it.

As we always see Kamila in this emotional/lyric style, I would really like to see her doing something funnier, jazzy maybe. I think she could pull it off.

I would love to see KV do a jazzy number like take five for her short program. Or summertime.

I just hope we have a season to see all these performances take place. But that is in great doubt at this point.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Please don't drag me into this award nonsense anymore. I only commented on plushenko because someone mentions what he said about Alena winning best newcomer. I found his comment tasteless which is why I responded. Especially coming from him with the stature he has as a legend. No one wrote with the other Russian said that I read in this thread so I didn't comment on that.

If this award was most spectacular out of this world newcomer then Sasha would have won it. :) but it was best newcomer and the choice was obvious. Not only is aliona the best newcomer she's the most beautiful. Ladies figure skater Russia has ever produced.

On a side note I doubt Sasha cares very much about this award and I bet she's embarrassed that her new coach dragged her into this at the expense of her former teammate and friend.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think we judge Plushenko by the collective of his work, rather than a single person.
He was a great skater, yes, but his behaviour in the last years is not something one could call nice. Consider his splits with Sakhanovich and Tarakanova (specially last one, where a teenage girl managed to stay classier than him). Consider the stories about his family - his wife is basically a pageant mom, and there are some interviews stating that they beat their kid. And so on and so forth.

Don't take me wrong, I loved and still love his skating. But I don't think that the dislike for him as a person is something entirely unjustified.

I agree with every word in this post. It's really undeniable. You were being very realistic and fair. But I wonder if you will get a reaction from plushyfan about your post. ;)

As for me I would never talk about Plushenkos family life. You ventured into a territory I will not. Plushenko is an all-time great in the sport of figure skating. But his work as a coach is dubious at this point and his comments are sometimes out of line. The things he said about Nastia T when she left him were almost as bad as what Buyanova said about Nastia G when she left her. These 2 Nastia students thanked their coaches for their work and then the coaches turn around and are nasty to them publicly? Lol. This would never be tolerated in American sports.

Scott512

Record Breaker

So when we are here with the comments and reactions to the awards, here is one from Eteri in the interview with Tatjana Flade:
https://fs-gossips.com/eteri-tutber...-medals-of-my-daughter-bring-me-the-real-joy/

Has Diana won medals?

Thank you for this article on the great coach and for changing the subject from the best newcomer controversy which should not be a controversy at all.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Oh, Moriel..we are over these stories here. You came too late into the party. I know everything and I don't like everything about Tarakanova and Sima's stories, I told it there but he didn't do much more bad things as did Eteri, Mishin or some other Russian coaches when their puplils left them. We weren't there, we don't know every details in the stories. Right? For example Sima told about Plushenko's greatness in one of the interviews and later she told how bad he was.Hm. Nastya and Sima arrived too early in the Academy they weren't in Plu's plan. You can't deny Plush did many things for them but that was too less for them. Maybe that would be better if Plush would not have received them.You don't mention his wife, I'm angry! Please! Don't spread false informations! You will be banned for some weeks. If you take the fatigue and get to know Plush and his son's fantastic relationships, how they adore each other all of us would be more calm.

Orlov

Medalist
Oh, Moriel..we are over these stories here. You came too late into the party. I know everything and I don't like everything about Tarakanova and Sima's stories, I told it there but he didn't do much more bad things as did Eteri, Mishin or some other Russian coaches when their puplils left them. We weren't there, we don't know every details in the stories. Right? For example Sima told about Plushenko's greatness in one of the interviews and later she told how bad he was.Hm. Nastya and Sima arrived too early in the Academy they weren't in Plu's plan. You can't deny Plush did many things for them but that was too less for them. Maybe that would be better if Plush would not have received them.You don't mention his wife, I'm angry! Please! Don't spread false informations! You will be banned for some weeks. If you take the fatigue and get to know Plush and his son's fantastic relationships, how they adore each other all of us would be more calm.

Man, stop all this bs. I have not seen a single Russian FS-fan who would respect the current Plushenko. The way he behaves, how he treats people, his odious wife, who clearly affects him - all of these are very repulsive. We have every right to treat Plushenko as we want, please don't tell us how to treat any person.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Man, stop all this bs. I have not seen a single Russian FS-fan who would respect the current Plushenko. The way he behaves, how he treats people, his odious wife, who clearly affects him - all of these are very repulsive. We have every right to treat Plushenko as we want, please don't tell us how to treat any person.

I will answer for you in privat. But I can tell you I know and read many Russian Fs fans who respect him :)
I can tell you in these time that person who is not beloved by the majority of Russians those are very simpathetic for me. Unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.