2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 154 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Oh Sasha... your coaches were perfectly right in their approach.
So it seems to have gone down pretty much how many of us thought with her layout changes.
I wish she had had the ability to see that her team's approach was the sensible one. And if not her, than at least her parents.
That with 3 clean quads and more focus on PCS, just like Anna, she would have been a strong gold medal contender in all competitions in which she only came 3rd or worse because of falling all over the place and pushing for more than was reasonable just for WR and wow effects.
So I guess from now on it will get even worse since Plushenko will not try to reason with her, but rather but gasoline to the fire

To me also the team approach sounds pretty reasonable (and in fact this also disproves the imaginations of Eteri and her team forcing skaters into the hardest elements, exhausting them etc.). I understand that when it didn't work out at Europeans Sasha felt it wasn't right but I bet in a long-tem process this would pay off.

starlight97

Final Flight
i guess i don't fully understand Sasha's thought process on this. why did she always want to go for her max layout 3A included when she was so inconsistent the whole season? it would be one thing if she was hitting that layout or close to it at nearly every competition, but she wasn't. she had problems with a 3 quad layout. maybe she felt she needed to jump more and not be limited to help her consistency?

I believe Sasha simply doesn't think that far or that deep. And neither do her parents. Her dad is a boxer.
I think she wants to jump and she likes having WR and to stand out cause that's all she's ever known. And apparently the people who surround her unfortunately fire her on in this sentiment. So of course when Sambo tired to tune it down, she couldn't process the "why".
I just hope her body will not give up on her before 2022 and/or that her new coaches and parents realize that this is not the way

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I also said it at that time i actually found the teams approach reasonable because either it was one time or zero were in an i international competition she cleanly jumped a 4 quad programm last season let alone the 5 quad routine. But as we have seen in her video were the team showed her routine in training she could actually do it with 5 quads.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Amei

Record Breaker
this is a bit concerning to me in the fact that if Plushenko lets her jump however many times and whatever she wants, there is a much bigger chance of injury. i can understand why Eteri wanted to limit her, and i'm not sure Sasha understands this. in her mind it sounds like she thinks they were purposely holding her back vs trying to limit the risk of injury.

Well if she only wants to jump and limiting her quads/jumping was the reason for the break with Eteri then I would think that she and/or her parents would have discussed that with Plushenko prior to agreeing to skate with him. I doubt the coaches at Sambo were attempting to hold her back, but more likely limit the wear and tear on her body, and focus on going clean and improving other aspects of her programs (example Shcherbakova). But if this is what she wants to do then she's going to go to a coach that's going to let her have control over that, and should she succeed and be able to win all her competitions then she'll likely go down as 1 of the greatest technical revolutionaries of the sport....If she fails and injures herself or wears her body down and it costs her the chance at big titles or the Olympics she will only have herself to blame and I don't think her current coach based on past behavior will try to deflect any blame from her.

ballerina

Rinkside
You should provide a link where she says “Aliona was a nobody before me, I taught her everything she knows” or else those are empty words.
Anna left out on the street? Come on, Jesus Christ :D
The rest is just pure nonsense, oh man.
Russian parents DO pay for the sport in Russia up until a certain age. Fed requires certain level to be achieved by the athlete before they can give funding to that athlete, it’s not free for everyone.

YOU should provide a link where I said that "it was free for everyone", or else "those are empty words" (your words, not mine) ! I never said that in Russia it was free for EVERYONE.
Are you completely distorting my statements on purpose...?

Apparently, I have to start explaining from the beginning.
In Russia, there are commercial groups at many skating clubs where a child can start skating at 2 or 3 or whatever; their parents would have to PAY for that. Once the child reaches a certain age / level - which is NOT the same thing, by the way - he can apply to a state-sponsored sports school. Or, in case he doesn't want to or hasn't reached the required level of skills - he can keep skating at the commercial club and keep paying for that.

Once the young athlete has been accepted to the state-sponsored sports school - he doesn't have to pay for the ice time and coaching at an hourly/monthly rate. Tutberidze's senior national level girls don't pay her for coaching at an hourly rate. Whereas, as we all know very well, the system in the U.S. and Canada, for example, is very different. Brian Orser has openly stated that he gets paid at an hourly rate, including by the Russian skater Medvedeva.
Again, I'm NOT saying that Russian somewhat-accomplished athletes pay for nothing at all out of their own pocket. Inna Goncharenko once said that Elena Radionova's parents always had to pay for ADDITIONAL stuff, which wasn't provided by that state-sponsored school/club. Additional choreography, off-ice training, maybe rehab etc. That's how Goncharenko explained some of the coaching changes - that not every time the athlete is unhappy with the coach in particular and that's why he leaves; he may be looking for better conditions - a school/club where more stuff is available without additional charges. I'm saying that the somewhat-accomplished athletes at state-sponsored sports schools/clubs don't pay for the MAIN part of the training.

...which leads us to the next topic, the infamous "podkatki" (RUS "подкатки"). It's a common practice that young skaters who (/whose parents) feel that they don't have enough ice time at their school/club and/or enough of the coach's attention, they can take additional lessons, possibly at another ice rink, with another coach. Of course, they have to pay for that. In fact, it's rather common that the parents of very young Russian skaters complain on the web about coaches pressuring them into these additional lessons - because for many of them that's a wonderful source of additional income.

And this is where it gets interesting... Does Eteri Tutberidze allow HER skaters to have these "podkatki" - additional lessons with another coach ? She does NOT. NEITHER does she agree to offer more individual attention to this or that skater. In other words, if you skate at Sambo-70 and Tutberidze ignores you - you are screwed ! You can't get more attention out of her, at any cost, NEITHER are you allowed to look for help outside of Sambo-70, in case you need help with the triples or whatever.

... which leads us to - what happened with Trusova & Kostornaia ?! And also with Medvedeva after the Olympics, when she reportedly wanted an outside choreographer. Personally, I don't think that for a 2-time World Champion, Olympic silver medalist who has skated in seniors for 3 seasons - that it's such a scandalous and unacceptable request to make... Sure, Sambo-70 had no obligation to pay for this, but neither did Tutberidze have the right to blow up and reprimand Medvedeva in national media for making such a request.
We don't know yet what exactly happened with Trusova & Kostornaia - they both said that they wanted more INDIVIDUAL attention. We don't know if they meant more attention from Tutberidze in particular or (also) someone from outside Sambo-70. But if they meant simply Tutberidze - apparently it's not possible to get even that... Again, in case Kostornaia as the currently leading ladies skater in the world who needs to prepare for the Olympics in 18 months time - if she asked for a 30 minutes private x 3 times a week (that's a speculation !), would it really be sooo outrageous and inappropriate ?

Finally, regarding Anna Shcherbakova and kicking her "out on street"... Yes, I'm intentionally being dramatic - because it's ridiculous. Like I explicitly explained above - once a skater has reached a level where she gets accepted to a state-sponsored sports school, her parents shouldn't have to pay for everything-EVERYTHING out of their own pocket anymore. Anna clearly had reached that level - otherwise she wouldn't have been accepted at Sambo-70 to begin with, right ? Then, when all of the coaches at Sambo-70 decide that they don't have the time to deal with her - she should have the option to KEEP SKATING and get the help from someone from the outside who has the time for her (for a certain $$), so she can fix her triples and become interesting for Tutberidze's team again. Or, she should have the option to go to another state-sponsored sports school/club, maybe a bit lower level, where a somewhat less prominent coach would work with her. Wouldn't either one of these options be simply FAIR ??
But here's the problem - she was left stuck, with NEITHER one of these 2 options. Because, like I said, Tutberidze doesn't allow anyone from her group to take additional lessons from outside coaches. If you want to work with someone else, you have to leave completely. No group ice time at Sambo any more, no off-ice training, no nothing. Neither could Anna switch to another school/club because she was kicked out outside of the so-called "transfer window". There was no state-sponsored place for her anywhere, because for regular skaters the transfer window is taken seriously. Her state-sponsored place was left behind her at Sambo until next April 1. Until this date, her only option to skate AT ALL was - for her parents to pay for everything. Which I don't think was fair.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Oh Sasha... your coaches were perfectly right in their approach.
So it seems to have gone down pretty much how many of us thought with her layout changes.
I wish she had had the ability to see that her team's approach was the sensible one. And if not her, than at least her parents.
That with 3 clean quads and more focus on PCS, just like Anna, she would have been a strong gold medal contender in all competitions in which she only came 3rd or worse because of falling all over the place and pushing for more than was reasonable just for WR and wow effects.
So I guess from now on it will get even worse since Plushenko will not try to reason with her, but rather but gasoline to the fire

I totally agree. The 5 quad thingy clearly wasn't working. The sensible thing to do was to concentrate on a clean skate and all the other elements too.

I fear now, that Sasha will go all in again, and that she might injure herself...:(

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I totally agree. The 5 quad thingy clearly wasn't working. The sensible thing to do was to concentrate on a clean skate and all the other elements too.

I fear now, that Sasha will go all in again, and that she might injure herself...:(

I think it might have worked, but it would’ve taken more time to stabilize that content.
She probably could’ve skated that content clean at worlds, but then when it didn’t happen, it left a sour aftertaste in her mouth after the season ended so abruptly and then the fact that she wasn’t able to try this content again after GPF left her upset.
Yeah... feels like in the end they all were on different pages.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think it might have worked, but it would’ve taken more time to stabilize that content.
She probably could’ve skated that content clean at worlds, but then when it didn’t happen, it left a sour aftertaste in her mouth after the season ended so abruptly and then the fact that she wasn’t able to try this content again after GPF left her upset.
Yeah... feels like in the end they all were on different pages.

And if she lost trust in her coach, and didn’t trust her layout, that would make the problems worse...I understand where she’s coming from, even if it’s not the approach I personally agree with.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
YOU should provide a link where I said that "it was free for everyone", or else "those are empty words" (your words, not mine) ! I never said that in Russia it was free for EVERYONE.
Are you completely distorting my statements on purpose...?

Apparently, I have to start explaining from the beginning.
In Russia, there are commercial groups at many skating clubs where a child can start skating at 2 or 3 or whatever; their parents would have to PAY for that. Once the child reaches a certain age / level - which is NOT the same thing, by the way - he can apply to a state-sponsored sports school. Or, in case he doesn't want to or hasn't reached the required level of skills - he can keep skating at the commercial club and keep paying for that.

Once the young athlete has been accepted to the state-sponsored sports school - he doesn't have to pay for the ice time and coaching at an hourly/monthly rate. Tutberidze's senior national level girls don't pay her for coaching at an hourly rate. Whereas, as we all know very well, the system in the U.S. and Canada, for example, is very different. Brian Orser has openly stated that he gets paid at an hourly rate, including by the Russian skater Medvedeva.
Again, I'm NOT saying that Russian somewhat-accomplished athletes pay for nothing at all out of their own pocket. Inna Goncharenko once said that Elena Radionova's parents always had to pay for ADDITIONAL stuff, which wasn't provided by that state-sponsored school/club. Additional choreography, off-ice training, maybe rehab etc. That's how Goncharenko explained some of the coaching changes - that not every time the athlete is unhappy with the coach in particular and that's why he leaves; he may be looking for better conditions - a school/club where more stuff is available without additional charges. I'm saying that the somewhat-accomplished athletes at state-sponsored sports schools/clubs don't pay for the MAIN part of the training.

...which leads us to the next topic, the infamous "podkatki" (RUS "подкатки"). It's a common practice that young skaters who (/whose parents) feel that they don't have enough ice time at their school/club and/or enough of the coach's attention, they can take additional lessons, possibly at another ice rink, with another coach. Of course, they have to pay for that. In fact, it's rather common that the parents of very young Russian skaters complain on the web about coaches pressuring them into these additional lessons - because for many of them that's a wonderful source of additional income.

And this is where it gets interesting... Does Eteri Tutberidze allow HER skaters to have these "podkatki" - additional lessons with another coach ? She does NOT. NEITHER does she agree to offer more individual attention to this or that skater. In other words, if you skate at Sambo-70 and Tutberidze ignores you - you are screwed ! You can't get more attention out of her, at any cost, NEITHER are you allowed to look for help outside of Sambo-70, in case you need help with the triples or whatever.

... which leads us to - what happened with Trusova & Kostornaia ?! And also with Medvedeva after the Olympics, when she reportedly wanted an outside choreographer. Personally, I don't think that for a 2-time World Champion, Olympic silver medalist who has skated in seniors for 3 seasons - that it's such a scandalous and unacceptable request to make... Sure, Sambo-70 had no obligation to pay for this, but neither did Tutberidze have the right to blow up and reprimand Medvedeva in national media for making such a request.
We don't know yet what exactly happened with Trusova & Kostornaia - they both said that they wanted more INDIVIDUAL attention. We don't know if they meant more attention from Tutberidze in particular or (also) someone from outside Sambo-70. But if they meant simply Tutberidze - apparently it's not possible to get even that... Again, in case Kostornaia as the currently leading ladies skater in the world who needs to prepare for the Olympics in 18 months time - if she asked for a 30 minutes private x 3 times a week (that's a speculation !), would it really be sooo outrageous and inappropriate ?

Finally, regarding Anna Shcherbakova and kicking her "out on street"... Yes, I'm intentionally being dramatic - because it's ridiculous. Like I explicitly explained above - once a skater has reached a level where she gets accepted to a state-sponsored sports school, her parents shouldn't have to pay for everything-EVERYTHING out of their own pocket anymore. Anna clearly had reached that level - otherwise she wouldn't have been accepted at Sambo-70 to begin with, right ? Then, when all of the coaches at Sambo-70 decide that they don't have the time to deal with her - she should have the option to KEEP SKATING and get the help from someone from the outside who has the time for her (for a certain $$), so she can fix her triples and become interesting for Tutberidze's team again. Or, she should have the option to go to another state-sponsored sports school/club, maybe a bit lower level, where a somewhat less prominent coach would work with her. Wouldn't either one of these options be simply FAIR ??
But here's the problem - she was left stuck, with NEITHER one of these 2 options. Because, like I said, Tutberidze doesn't allow anyone from her group to take additional lessons from outside coaches. If you want to work with someone else, you have to leave completely. No group ice time at Sambo any more, no off-ice training, no nothing. Neither could Anna switch to another school/club because she was kicked out outside of the so-called "transfer window". There was no state-sponsored place for her anywhere, because for regular skaters the transfer window is taken seriously. Her state-sponsored place was left behind her at Sambo until next April 1. Until this date, her only option to skate AT ALL was - for her parents to pay for everything. Which I don't think was fair.

Seriously, lady, you need to do more research before adding your own details to things you happen to know bare minimum about.
First off, you were heavily implying that Anna was already state-funded at that point. This is where the “it’s not free for everyone” comes from.
Do we know for sure that Anna at that point was on government funding? Do we know that it wasn’t decided between parents and Eteri as the best choice for Anna? Do we even know parents didn’t have choice to go to other school? Novices switch inbetween schools pretty easily, and especially private schools.
Just last year junior Anna Frolova switched coaches mid-season, it would be much easier for Anna S. to go to any other coach than it was for Anna Frolova, since Anna S. was a novice back then.

That’s a lot of speculation you’re making, and frankly, just like your previous post about Julia, you add too many details that are entirely speculative, just because you want to make everything more sinister and more dramatic.

IF Anna’s parents felt like Anna was being simply thrown out on the street, would you honestly think they would still go to Tutberidze again? They’re pretty well off and not desperate for any funding, and seem to base their decisions entirely on what’s best for Anna, especially since they never actually wanted Anna to become an athlete, but rather study like her older sister.

This whole discussion is entirely pointless and tiring. Your whole post just repeats something I’ve already mentioned, so I’m not even seeing any point in discussing this further.

Decoder

On the Ice
Sasha's documentary:

Apparently Sasha said that Eteri and Co were trying to limit the amount of quads Sasha was doing, while Sasha wanted to go for more quads. So seems like this was the main conflict between them.
Sasha wanted to do more and more quads in practice and competitions, they tried to rein her in.
And then when they went for 3 quads at Euros it didn’t work out...
But then Sasha was on holiday before Europeans, and it would’ve been better if they sticked to the same content throughout the year, imo.

At GPF Sasha insisted to go for 3A and 5 quads, then at Rusnats coaches persuaded her to tone it down, she agreed only because they made an argument that for selection to Euros purposes it makes sense to go safe. At Euros coaches again insisted on having less quads and no 3A, but go clean instead, and Sasha didn’t like the idea of going back to no 3A and 3 quads.

So I’d say she felt like she was being held back, because they discouraged that amount of quads?

She repeated her quote from the trailer “I always wanted to jump, and they always stopped me. It’s not the first year this was happening”.

Sasha also mentions she herself approached Eteri to go for quads in 2017. Eteri first said “no”, next time Sasha asked Eteri suggested trying 3A first, they tried it, then Sasha asked again to go for quads and they did that time.

I know Sasha loves jumping a lot, this docu just showed that she’s really passionate about jumping and has fun when she jumps. It matters a lot to her, way more than I used to think before.
TBH, this isn't shocking, we've heard about this before.
If she went to Plushenko, just so no one would stop her from jumping as much as she wants - I'm not sure this is an ideal scenario for Sasha's future.

In the beginning I heard that one main reason for Sasha's departure was that she didn't get enough attention from the coaches.
Now we are getting more information, this time from Sasha herself, that one of the main reasons she left Eteri was because they had different opinions/plans on jumping quads. It's good to hear from the skaters themselves (whether their thinking is correct or not - a separate topic)

I just read this (https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1087598770.html):

Evgeni Plushenko: “We work a lot with Trusova on gliding and artistry. What was missing - everyone knows it "

It seems that Plushenko agrees with many posters here as well - jumping quads is not all. Is this what the old group had been trying to do all along?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Like Eteri as a person or hate her, but as for the coaching she is Everest while in comparison PLushy

True.:yes: But if I want to be honest I have doubts about other parts of coaching work because the technical knowledge is there.

as a coach is that mound from the movie "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain" in this moment.
I
adore that movie :biggrin:

Being succesful athlete doesn't make you a succesful coach trhoughout the whole sport. There are such cases but many succesful athletes became mediocre coaches and unknown athletes became succesful coaches.

I said it, too. Look at the Hungarian swimming sport's succes. So many OG champions compared to the number of citizens and the number of swimmers. That started in the 80's with Tamás Darnyi, Norbert Rózsa, József Szabó, Attila Czene... Their coach was Tamás Szécsy. He couldn't swim.;)

Though the main and only important thing now is that you can't claim Plushy is proven reliable coach now to whom should be entrusted such important athletes. If there would be long practise behind him that would show him as a coach, who can truly improve skaters abilities not just to skate in training, but also stand in competitions, OK (and no, one Titova in the novice championships is not a proof).

Maybe but we are talking about Plushenko. His confidence in the sky.:laugh:

But there is nothing so far even if his (and Rozanov's) fangirls chose to ignore this simple fact. Good driver is not authomatically a good driving instructor. And Plushy's self confidence also is not a qualification for such role.

Probably he knows what he did for the girls in Eteri team and he thought it is the time had come to a courageous step

One thing is to predict Plushy's future coaching career, the other one is his coaching career now does not entitle to put him into the role he is now. It's too risky.

We will see. With this logic Lambiel couldn't be such important skaters's coach. :no: No one worries about them. :laugh:

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
The topic of contracts for athletes, which Flanker so persistently promotes, is what Tutberidze's mad fanatics have been shouting about in these latter days on social networks and the media. For some reason, only fanatical fans of this particular coach are so worried that underage girls have the freedom to change coaches and build their own sports career. A lot of non-FS arguments are drawn to this issue, just to justify the greedy coach's desire to receive devidends from his athletes, present and past. But none of them speaks about the responsibility of the coach to the athlete. At all!
For some reason, no one remembers that in Russia sports are funded by the state, coaches receive salaries from the state and simply must, like any civil servant, conscientiously fulfill their duties.
As it was said in the film: "If the coach does not succeed, he can always try with another athlete, but the athlete has only one attempt for life and career." So who needs more protection?

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
No mention of Rozanov in the new Trusova documentary from Match tv. It is all Plyushchenko, Plyushchenko and more Plyushchenko
No new jumps, i was waiting for the 4Lo, but i guess we have to wait for an actual competition. I expect no less than 5 quads and at least one trixel

This isn't surprising at all. It's Plushenko's Academy, not Rozanov's. He (Plush) is supposed to be the main coach.
If the skaters' achieve something, he will receive the credit for it and if they don't do well, it will also be on him, just like in other groups.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes, here :)

And during time they all, made commets about fun and jokes during training, so it's not like "in other teams there is light, fun and perfect relations, while in Eteri's labour camp everyone is frowning, there is dark all around etc." :)
I remember that interview it was so nice but I don't remember aliona saying that but she did. She changed during the pandemic. It really is unfathomable to think that someone who was one mistake away from having an unbeaten debut season would want to change coaches especially how she's always complimenting her coaches at Sambo 70. I hope Alena is happy in her new surroundings. But the fact is she and Sasha won't be on the ice at the same time is bewildering and annoying.
:eek:topic:
No, I am not an agnostic, those are the people who are too lazy for the morning mass but are not bold enough to openly say "I don't believe", so they are always something in between. Nothing that should surprise you, my nation is probably the most religiously lukewarm in the world :devil:

I believe it works in a similar way in team sports there just like here. It just prevents the situation where the local clubs would serve just as reserves for the big team in the big cities. It could actually help local FS federations in Russia (if such system is not applied there already) that if a young kid goes to train to a team inn a big city (incl. eteri's team), they would get some payment for it that would help them to raise a new talent.
I like your point about the coaches receiving a payment that would help them raise a new talent. Sure eteri still has Alina Anna kamila and others coming up but you cannot in any way shape or form replace Sasha Supergirl and alena of the most beautiful skater in the world with the best triple axel. Until she lost it during the pandemic. :(

Parents are desperate to get their kids to EG so maybe she can get something in writing from the parents in the future. I thought EG would be super bitter with aliona leaving after the transfer period and try to stop it legally through their fed. But she won't and Alena will be in her new surroundings with her favorite tech coach.

Who thought losing Rozanov would lead to so many key losses for EG?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eteri's feelings may be understandable, but her statements (if those are in fact her statements) are not excusable.

Coaches should act like adults, not like jilted teenagers.

And the "I walked to school twelve miles barefoot in the snow uphill both ways after chasing off bears and working sixty hours a week to keep the family farm going when I was eight years old" (yes we oldsters have those same stories in the "West":biggrin:) so a 16 year old should just suck it up, still doesn't excuse the coach acting like a teenager.

I just don't understand how an adult, unprovoked, or even provoked, reacts that way:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.