Will Zagitova return? | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

Scott512

Record Breaker
She took off half the season last year and if she were to decide to not compete this year, that would mean walking into the Olympic season cold from competition for awhile. I think it would be better to see what she is able to score against the skaters that she will be competing with for a spot at the Olympics. Hopefully she has gained or is able to gain a quad or triple axel soon and can use this season to get used to competing it, Shcherbakova and Trusova both went through some consistency pains with competing the quad.

For sure Alina needs to compete against the top girls from her country to know where she's at so soon before the Olympics if they stay on schedule and that's a big if at this point. I don't think taking off half the season as you put it has killed her competitive Fire and Desire. We looking forward to seeing Alina skate again competitively.

Amei

Record Breaker
Any news on Alina’s quad? Wasn’t she training it in a harness?

The last time we saw a video of her attempting a quad but that was from 2 seasons ago and yes it was in a harness, the only thing that we have gotten since then is 2 interviews about her and quads that somewhat conflict with each other. During the GP season she did an interview and stated she needed to lose 3kg in order to safely train them, then I think the second interview came out early this year that she referenced landing 1 which doesn't seem conducive to the interview a few months earlier and considering that she was doing the Navka show and touring - would she have really been trying to learn a quad at that point while skating in shows and risk injuring herself taking her out of the shows. What I'm assuming based on those interviews is that she's at some point landed a quad (and "landing" could mean in the harness, under-rotated) but she was not consistently training it.

If she landed one, we would have known, I feel

Part of me agrees with you but
A) Eteri and team haven't really been active on social media with posting videos like they have in years past
B) Last year Between the last GP event and the GPF there was no social media action and both Shcherbakova and Trusova came out with quad flips at the final, and I don't believe there was any videos of practice with Kostornaia doing the triple axel before the start of last season either.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The last time we saw a video of her attempting a quad but that was from 2 seasons ago and yes it was in a harness, the only thing that we have gotten since then is 2 interviews about her and quads that somewhat conflict with each other. During the GP season she did an interview and stated she needed to lose 3kg in order to safely train them, then I think the second interview came out early this year that she referenced landing 1 which doesn't seem conducive to the interview a few months earlier and considering that she was doing the Navka show and touring - would she have really been trying to learn a quad at that point while skating in shows and risk injuring herself taking her out of the shows. What I'm assuming based on those interviews is that she's at some point landed a quad (and "landing" could mean in the harness, under-rotated) but she was not consistently training it.

Part of me agrees with you but
A) Eteri and team haven't really been active on social media with posting videos like they have in years past
B) Last year Between the last GP event and the GPF there was no social media action and both Shcherbakova and Trusova came out with quad flips at the final, and I don't believe there was any videos of practice with Kostornaia doing the triple axel before the start of last season either.

After the controversial departures of Sasha and aliona Alina will come back breathing fire next season. If Sasha and aliona aren't as good as they used to be Alina has a path to making the Olympics again. Of course that's a big if.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
After the controversial departures of Sasha and aliona Alina will come back breathing fire next season. If Sasha and aliona aren't as good as they used to be Alina has a path to making the Olympics again. Of course that's a big if.

"If Sasha and aliona..." or Anna. Yes, I know she is now Eteri's little queen bee, but the ice is slippery, and there's no guarantee even so.

Scott512

Record Breaker
"If Sasha and aliona..." or Anna. Yes, I know she is now Eteri's little queen bee, but the ice is slippery, and there's no guarantee even so.
Very slippery TT.

I doubt Anna sees herself as Queen Bee of EGs team. That's still Alina anyway. ;)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Such demonstrations of disrespect are unnecessary. I could hardly see you using such stupid likening about anyone else.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Such demonstrations of disrespect are unnecessary. I could hardly see you using such stupid likening about anyone else.

What do you mean? I am stating a fact - that any of the three, along with every single other skater on the planet - could have a lesser year next year. And at least in my country, 'queen bee' denotes someone's preeminent position in a community, someone in a dominant or favored position over her peers. Alina may be the superstar, but Shcherbakova is the one who is currently Tutberidze‎'s biggest potential scorer and star in the year to come, the one to beat the two who left if possible.

And you have absolutely no idea how or when I use English metaphor, simile and imagery (like most native speakers, pretty much all the time), so the fact that you can't see me doing it really doesn't say much.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What do you mean? I'm genuinely confused here. I am stating a fact - that any of the three, along with every single other skater on the planet - could have a lesser year next year. And at least in my country, 'queen bee' is not a term of disrespect but one to denote someone's preeminent position in a community. Alina may be the superstar, but Anna is the one who is currently EG's biggest potential scorer and star in the year to come.

“Her little queen bee” and “ ice is slippery” doesn’t sound as nice as a direct explanation as quoted above. Queen Bee can bring up an image of a stereotypical mean girl in a cliche American cheerleading movie.

Just an explanation.

It all comes down to which skater is the most skilled healthy skater. Trusova doesn’t look like she’s doing that bad, so Alena most likely didn’t move over just for money, but because she actually needs help with her 3A.

Alina is probably not going to jump a 3A or quad. Every (sorry a number of) age eligible skaters who can jump 3A or quads currently would have to regress or get injured, which honestly would be horrible, for her to qualify for the Olympics.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
“Her little queen bee” and “ ice is slippery” doesn’t sound as nice as a direct explanation as quoted above. Queen Bee can bring up an image of a stereotypical mean girl in a cliche American cheerleading movie.

Thanks for the explanation, since I don't believe I've ever watched a cliched American cheerleading - or any cliched teen - movie :)

Oh, and I like bees.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
What do you mean? I am stating a fact - that any of the three, along with every single other skater on the planet - could have a lesser year next year. And at least in my country, 'queen bee' denotes someone's preeminent position in a community, someone in a dominant or favored position over her peers. Alina may be the superstar, but Shcherbakova is the one who is currently Tutberidze‎'s biggest potential scorer and star in the year to come, the one to beat the two who left if possible.

And you have absolutely no idea how or when I use English metaphor, simile and imagery (like most native speakers, pretty much all the time), so the fact that you can't see me doing it really doesn't say much.

I have a very specific idea you wouldn't ever used let's say phrase "Zhenya is Orser's (little) queen bee". It simply makes Anna looking like some spoiled untouchable and mean brat, just like explained above.

zounger

Medalist

The main problem in the sentence referred, except the so deep and difficult metaphor that is beyond the capabilities of nonnative speakers, is the "I know". I'm pretty sure most of us know less than John Snow on the matter.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have a very specific idea you wouldn't ever used let's say phrase "Zhenya is Orser's (little) queen bee". It simply makes Anna looking like some spoiled untouchable and mean brat, just like explained above.

Given my lexical background, yes I would if I thought she was in the same position in his team, which wouldn't even occur to me (why on earth bring Medvedeva into it, by the way?)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Given my lexical background, yes I would if I thought she was in the same position in his team, which wouldn't even occur to me (why on earth bring Medvedeva into it, by the way?)

Mere comparison/example, usual in logic and mathematics. Lexical background has nothing to do about it. Why insulting Anna needlessly is the actual question, the latter is diversion.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mere comparison/example, usual in logic and mathematics. Lexical background has nothing to do about it. Why insulting Anna needlessly is the actual question, the latter is diversion.

I did not insult her, in my opinion, rather the reverse. I accept that you believe otherwise. Let's let it rest there.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I did not insult her, in my opinion, rather the reverse. I accept that you believe otherwise. Let's let it rest there.

For explanation, the perspective itself of having a "dominant or favored position in the team" is wrong form the start, it never worked there this way even when other skater was in the position of the biggest potential scorer. There were Yulia, Zhenya or Alina in the position of the main medal contender, but never treated like "Eteri's little queen bee" (sounds really awfull :disagree:).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For explanation, the perspective itself of having a "dominant or favored position in the team" is wrong form the start, it never worked there this way even when other skater was in the position of the biggest potential scorer. There were Yulia, Zhenya or Alina in the position of the main medal contender, but never treated like "Eteri's little queen bee" (sounds really awfull :disagree:).

I said let it rest there. You appear (to coin the obvious phrase) to have a bee in your bonnet about anyone who even inadvertently or in passing impugns your version of your beloved team, but for goodness' sake, get a grip.

colormyworld240

Medalist

Perhaps it's not what you meant but "queen bee" has a negative connotation on my side of the world, mostly referring to bratty behaviour and general nastiness and entitlement in pop culture. And no one here knows Anna personally but from what we've seen of her publicly, she is none of those things, quite the opposite, actually. And if we are to believe the people who do know her personally like her compatriots, coaches, and parents, she's quite grounded and thoughtful. Being the only skater of the 3 to not leave the team should not reflect poorly on her personality.

Amei

Record Breaker

Everything is a big if right now - but as of right now I feel comfortable saying that the chances of getting on the Russian European/World/Olympic team without a triple axel or quad is very slim.

I don't think that Zagitova will necessarily be fired up because of Kostornaia and Trusova leaving, but I think it could certainly affect Eteri not being so accepting of the "I just want to enjoy skating" mentality that was last season because last season Eteri knew that she had 3 other skaters that were pretty much podium-locks.