2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can't realistically place Nathan and Yuzuru together. The level of their skating is just different. Yes, Jason is sublime but he does not jump quads. This makes artistry much easier. I remember when he tried 4T and fell the programs sort of fell apart. So, having Yuzuru and Jason with 46-47 is fine with me. Having Michail, Keegan, and Shoma with 44-45 is fine with me. But Nathan should not be higher than 42-43 with the quality of skating that he showed today. It's just a shame.

And which program was that? That is a serious question. Other than 2018 US Nats, Jason has been remarkable for his ability to complete his FS despite falling or underrotating the quads, which he has been trying in comps for at least four years now, and never affecting the flow of the program.

But back to this comp, and jumping off and not directed to you specifically,

Jason. A master class. That skate deserved all the PCS. All. The. PCS. :love: As an athlete in this sport of figure skating. All the PCS.

Donovan qualified for the FS:clap:

Keegan. Clean. All the feels. 😭

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan having to fight isn't the worst thing in the world. He hasn't fallen since 2018 I believe, so there's probably a lot of pressure to always be perfect and keep up his winning streak. And him pulling off the 3a and 4F3T beautifully shows he didn't really get spooked by his mistake. I don't think 8 points is something he can't make up honestly if he skates like I know he can. Really sad about Vincent here.
I think it's going to be uphill for Nathan unless Hanyu makes a mistake. He would have to skate perfectly with 5 quads to win if Hanyu goes clean. Is he capable of that? Yes, but the pressure will be on.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
If this has already been discussed then I'm sorry for bringing this up.

The Eurosport commentator said that if there was a major mistake in a program, the PCS would be no more than 8s in a program. Yet Chen's PCS were off the roof even with an error, and somehow only a point below a near perfect Hanyu. Can someone please explain to me if this was a dated rule that the commentator failed to note?
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...96-program-component-chart-id-sp-2019-20/file

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

The Eurosport commentator said that if there was a major mistake in a program, the PCS would be no more than 8s in a program. Yet Chen's PCS were off the roof even with an error, and somehow only a point below a near perfect Hanyu. Can someone please explain to me if this was a dated rule that the commentator failed to note?
He is incorrect. It is actually 2 mistakes and they have to visually detract from the enjoyement of the performance, which is at judges’ discretion if it did. In the past, for example, popped jumps didn’t count to limit PCS, because it was argued that a pop is not visually detracting.

I mean, Myahara all but self-destructed yesterday, and still received 9’s...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I woke up at 6am Aussie time and I can't get back to sleep...but I checked the results and....

OMG! Donovan got the Q!!! Yaaaaas! :cheer:

I'm so happy for him! This is awesome!

And wow Zhenya S is currently 10th and Mika K 4th!

Very sad for Vincent Zhou though :( especially considering how many people will be pleased to see him fail so hard. I hope they're happy...perhaps he'll retire right now and they can have a party. 🙄

Olympic

On the Ice
I have grown to like watching Hanyu and his performances. I followed the PBP on Twitter - which was probably a bad move: I never realized how obnoxious his fans are (I know d-uh).

I was so gutted for Zhou. WOW. To not even make it to the LP. I hope it is easily explained because if it is not, it is probably no one's business. I always rooted for him because I think he has talent but is severely overshadowed by Chen and Brown. Not to mention that a notable size of fandom wrinkle their nose at his skating. I hope he can use this as a teaching moment and come back in the Olympic year.

When I saw Chen fall, I fell into a mini-depression, but he's not out of it. I daresay unless he is dealing with a big underlying problem, he has more than ample opportunity. We saw a big comeback at the Olympics. I hope to G-d we see it again. If he gets Silver, well, he can't win everything and maybe something like that would be a huge motivator for 2022.

ETA - Chen would be 2nd w/o the botched spin.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But,yeah, Morisi kindda needs it less, I suppose.
I'm sorry, WHAT is this this INSANE remark? Morisi needs ONE Olympic slot less than the US men need three?

Like, you do realise that's what you're saying, right? By qualifying for the FS Morisi has earned Georgia one single Olympic spot for their men.

You can be sad about Vincent's skate sure, but I'm not going to play sob story that a big country might have to wait a moment to confirm three spots because a bunch of smaller countries managed to get one, jesus christ.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

He's wrong.

It's 9 it can't be over - and the rule gets ignored ALL the time INCLUDING FOR HANYU.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have grown to like watching Hanyu and his performances. I followed the PBP on Twitter - which was probably a bad move: I never realized how obnoxious his fans are (I know d-uh).
I hear that. I like Yuzu a lot, he's a true sportsman.

Which makes the fact he's has such a segment of fans depressing.

Like I've literally seen them rage over not getting +5 for clearly wonky jumps with step outs. I mean come on are they for real?

Yuzu would be embarrassed to be associated with them honestly.

Last edited:

Olympic

On the Ice

Which makes the fact he's had such a segment of fans depressing.

Like I've literally seen them rage over not getting +5 for clearly wonky jumps with step outs. I mean come on are they for real?

I talk about it because honestly it's a relevation to me. I guess I've been living on a Hanyu-free Desert Isle, but they just ambush Twitter and praise him like some deity, hanging on to his every move, and just attacking any one person or thing at odds with their thinking. Unreal.

Are his fans on balance world-wide or primarily in JPN or Asia?

Fluture

Record Breaker

Which makes the fact he's had such a segment of fans depressing.

Every skater has obnoxious followers. It‘s just that Hanyu has probably at least twice as many fans than all the other skaters here, so they stick out. It‘s completely logical.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker

He's wrong. With one serious error, for singles skaters, it's a max of 9.75 in SS, TR, and CO and a max of 9.5 in PE and IN.

Chen's PCS are still too high. But except for J3 in IN he actually received "legal" scores.

It's also actually a NEW rule.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, WHAT is this this INSANE remark? Morisi needs ONE Olympic slot less than the US men need three?

Like, you do realise that's what you're saying, right? By qualifying for the FS Morisi has earned Georgia one single Olympic spot for their men.

You can be sad about Vincent's skate sure, but I'm not going to play sob story that a big country might have to wait a moment to confirm three spots because a bunch of smaller countries managed to get one, jesus christ.
This.

Especially because Moirisi is probably upset that he lost his - albeit slim - chance of getting two spots to the Olympics. That means we won't even see Nika trying to get a spot at Nebelhorn.

Last edited: