2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program | Page 99 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program

pianistliz

On the Ice
I'll be the 1st to admit I'm a Hanyu fan and want him to win. But this backlash against Nathan leaves me dumbfounded...it was one bad skate after an astonishingly consistent run of clean skates. He has a fantastic work ethic and character, and while I agree with those who view Hanyu as the more artistic and complete skater, it doesn't mean Nathan is a robot incapable of connecting with his audience. He has many fans who would beg to differ (some of whom prefer his artistry to Hanyu's). This doesn't have to be an all-or-norhing scenario. He has worked at his artistry and it has improved. I respect that, as I respect the efforts and improvements of all the skaters.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I just watched the entire men's SP. Actually my favourite step sequence was Aleksandr Selevko's :LOL: Not saying it's the best (that would probably be Jason Brown), it's just very weird and refreshing to my eyes.
Lucky he doesn't have a bunch of quads, eh? Otherwise people would be going on about him being a jumping robot and somehow ignoring that lovely footwork.

Matteo Rizzo's step sequence also stood out. He has a real lightness and uplifting quality.

I think I enjoyed Hanyu and Chen's step sequences equally. Not as much as Brown, Selevko or Rizzo (whose step sequences I would replay), but still a lot. Both Hanyu and Chen are where they are because of jumps. Imagine an event where men wouldn't be allowed to jump quads and think about how the placement would change.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Question, since Zhou didn't make the FP, and if the placements by Chen and Brown are equal or less than 13, does that mean that one of the American men has to go to the Nebelhorn Trophy to get a 3rd spot for the Olympics?

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Question, since Zhou didn't make the FP, and if the placements by Chen and Brown are equal or less than 13, does that mean that one of the American men has to go to the Nebelhorn Trophy to get a 3rd spot for the Olympics?
Yes someone other than Chen and Brown would have to go and get it there but that should not be very difficult for the us men.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Ok first where are you connecting from? And second, what browser are you using? Because you have to enable something on your browser for the video on QQ stream to work (satine was always reminding people of this step). Maybe you have ultra high security computer?

If you are willing to pay, then pay for a VPN. :p
Thank u so much, Rollerblade! I tried using my laptop and the QQ stream worked! It worked just in time for the final group last night! Not sure I can stay up for the ladies fp which starts at 1am here! Huhu

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Yes someone other than Chen and Brown would have to go and get it there but that should not be very difficult for the us men.
I wouldn't be so sure. There are some countries with deep fields that could have to secure spots through Nebelhorn, depending on how the free goes, like Russia, China, Canada, Italy, France and Korea. Only USA, Canada, France and Korea are in that position after the SP, but the FS could shake things up dramatically, and there will be only 3 spots available at Nebelhorn.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be so sure. There are some countries with deep fields that could have to secure spots through Nebelhorn, depending on how the free goes, like Russia, China, Canada, Italy, France and Korea. Only USA, Canada, France and Korea are in that position after the SP, but the FS could shake things up dramatically, and there will be only 3 spots available at Nebelhorn.
Theres 6 spot available at Nebelhorn Trophy if I remember correctly and many of those countries dont have skaters that can beat skaters like Painiot (is he eligible) , Naumov, Tomoki, Pulkinen and especially Zhou when he is on. Earning that 3rd spot in Nebelhorn wont be that difficult for US.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You must be watching a different skater than I am.
His sp performance did not move me like Yuzuru and Yuma. I'm also not a fan of the length of time he spends both perpendicular to the ice or with skates near the ice. I like engaging performances with 3D movements that "entertain you".

As someone without "musical" talent, I always like rooting for "jumpers". Jumps landed on the right beat is a form of artistry IMO. And I love varying hand movements and step sequences to every note and the crescendo and decrescendo of the music.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You must be watching a different skater than I am.

Uhhh, didn't he actually say something to that effect? Sure it was some time ago (I can't recall when, my attention span being what it is), but everyone knows you can't unsay anything online these days, and if people take him at his word when watching...

Last edited:

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Uhhh, didn't he actually say something to that effect? Sure it was some time ago (I can't recall when, my attention span being what it is), but everyone knows you can't unsay anything online these days, and if people take him at his word when watching...
Gonna go with "put up or shut up" here.

If you are going to make a claim about something someone supposedly said you need to source it. Especially when it is inflammatory.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gonna go with "put up or shut up" here.

If you are going to make a claim about something someone supposedly said you need to source it. Especially when it is inflammatory.

Since you insist, I googled (for a start, I do not think it was inflammatory at all, people do not HAVE to be interested in artistry any more than they have to be interested in music or sparkly costumes or quads or anything else).

"If something you really want to watch is artistry, go watch ice dancing." It's been quoted all over the FS portions of the web, including his very own fan fest right here.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Since you insist, I googled (for a start, I do not think it was inflammatory at all, people do not HAVE to be interested in artistry any more than they have to be interested in music or sparkly costumes or quads or anything else).

"If something you really want to watch is artistry, go watch ice dancing." It's been quoted all over the FS portions of the web, including his very own fan fest right here.
That isn't what you claim he said. Not even close. Also completely lacks context.

So stop peddling lies unless you can back em up.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That isn't what you claim he said. Not even close. Also completely lacks context.

So stop peddling lies unless you can back em up.

{sigh} It's not a lie just because you don't like it. Google for yourself, I'm not arguing with someone who gets abusive over nothing.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
{sigh} It's not a lie just because you don't like it. Google for yourself, I'm not arguing with someone who gets abusive over nothing.
It is you who made the claim about what he said. The burden of proof is on you not me.

It is impossible to "google" to prove a negative. You lied and now run when asked to provide receipts.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Regarding Livintzev...

Holy moly how did he land that 4T he was SIDEWAYS?!

Omg, how did he saved that?! Respect!!! 🥰

How the bloody hell did he land that!?!
He is coached at the Academy, run by Plushy who could land absolutely ANYTHING. In the Vancouver FS he looked in the face of gravity and said. "Not today."

But it did not work out so well for Vladimir, bummer. I loved his costume too 😝! Shame he didn't make the FS.
Wow talk about PCS inflation. Can only imagine what comments there would be if Chan had a performance like this and still got high PCS. :)
Well hey Vincent didn't even qualify so y'know.

And I saw PChiddy fall way more and WIN Worlds so I'm not sure why you're kicking Vincent when he's down, but hey whatever makes you feel good about yourself.