2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program | Page 97 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Things like this. You always assume the worst.
No in this case I don't.

There is in fact a Vincent hate club, not on here, but it's out there. They absolutely despise him, like I've never actually seen such visceral hate for a skater in my life.

And if that sounds horrible it's because it is.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't remember the last time I enjoyed so much the top3 choreos. I guess I'm bored of slow, lyrical programs.
You must have loved all of the top seven men skaters :)
the only one that was remotely slow or lyrical was Keegan. And that was his wedding song, which is why he was pointing at his ring, so we can give him a pass. ;)

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
No in this case I don't.

There is in fact a Vincent hate club, not on here, but it's out there. They absolutely despise him, like I've never actually seen such visceral hate for a skater in my life.

And if that sounds horrible it's because it is.
Yeah but it isn't HERE. First of all, every skater has haters. Second of all, to you haters comments are amplified to the point you don't even hear the rest.

But most importantly, none of that was being said here. In fact, here people are upset that Vincent lost a spot. YOU'RE the one that made it negative.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are his fans on balance world-wide or primarily in JPN or Asia?

He's quite possibly the most popular current skater in every country, except Russia (with their ladies and drama) and maybe Korea with the history between the countries.

Every skater has obnoxious followers. It‘s just that Hanyu has probably at least twice as many fans than all the other skaters here, so they stick out. It‘s completely logical.

I've said it before, Yuzuru's fan lunatic fringe alone is bigger than any of the other men's total fan base. And it's twitter, what did you expect? (If you want obnoxious, dip a toe into BTS/KPop tweets but be prepared to lose it). Get used to it, if Yuma follows his teammates' (Yuzu and Shoma) career path and his charisma/looks develop to equal his talent... it ain't gonna stop any time soon.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah but it isn't HERE.
Maybe not, but surely it's no surprise that fans would like to go to other sites like Twitter and Instagram to find out stuff about skaters?

I can't even bring myself to look at Insta right now, it sucks because as you said I have the problem that:

to you haters comments are amplified to the point you don't even hear the rest.
But I guess that's on me.

Although I had no idea Vincent had such haters and was utterly stunned when I unexpectedly stumbled on them. I literally felt sick...I guess I thought people might appreciate a warning?

Fluture

Record Breaker
There is in fact a Vincent hate club, not on here, but it's out there.

But why do you go there if you know those places are full of hate? It‘s just setting yourself up for bitterness and disappointment. I don‘t like Vincent‘s skating myself but I felt very sorry for him and I know many others did too. Why waste so much energy on the haters, that‘s just what they want....

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Maybe not, but surely it's no surprise that fans would like to go to other sites like Twitter and Instagram to find out stuff about skaters?

I can't even bring myself to look at Insta right now, it sucks because as you said I have the problem that:

But I guess that's on me.

Although I had no idea Vincent had such haters and was utterly stunned when I unexpectedly stumbled on them. I literally felt sick...I guess I thought people might appreciate a warning?
I'm sure every skater has many haters. And gains new ones when said skater happens to beat their favourite.

It's best to just ignore it. Accept people won't agree with you. You're letting THEM control how you react to skaters and skates and even other comments.

Fluture

Record Breaker
This.

Especially because Moirisi is probably upset that he lost his - albeit slim - chance of getting two spots to the Olympics. That means we won't even see Nika trying to get a spot at Nebelhorn.

I also thought Kvitelashvili earned the qualification fair and square. He messed up all the jumps and I’m no fan of his artistry but at least he didn‘t fall. I know many can disagree but for me a fall is worse than a UR/DG/step-out.

And I definitely agree, he doesn‘t “need it less“. He‘s a competitive athlete and he‘ll always want to place as high as he can, especially in a pre-Olympic year.

Still terribly unfortunate for Zhou, though the US has plenty of talented skaters, they‘ll have no problem earning that spot back at Nebelhorn.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I also thought Kvitelashvili earned the qualification fair and square. He messed up all the jumps and I’m no fan of his artistry but at least he didn‘t fall. I know many can disagree but for me a fall is worse than a UR/DG/step-out.

And I definitely agree, he doesn‘t “need it less“. He‘s a competitive athlete and he‘ll always want to place as high as he can, especially in a pre-Olympic year.

Still terribly unfortunate for Zhou, though the US has plenty of talented skaters, they‘ll have no problem earning that spot back at Nebelhorn.
Oh I completely agree Morisi earned his spot.

He rotated all of his jumps while Vincent didn't rotate a single one of his - also messing up every single one of his jumps. In fact, Morisi kinda over-rotated them. Vincent also fell twice and Morisi didn't fall at all. So, while neither were clean, Morisi did have the better skate.

And you can't even say necessarily that the judges wanted Morisi to make it at the cost of Vincent. Because Vincent's PCS were almost 3.5 points higher than Morisi's. In fact, Vincent had like the 12th or 13th highest PCS for a truly disastrous skate.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just finished watching the men's short now. Quite a few surprises.

Congrats to Yuzuru and Yuma on their skates!

Holy crap! Nathan Chen can fall! Still, 3rd after the short is not bad. I'm confident that his long will (as I channel Dick Button) hold him in good stead.

Vincent Zhou.....no words. What the heck happened there? I don't mean to sound mean, but after the way he skated, he doesn't deserve to be in the long program.

Kevin Aymoz and Jason Brown - my favorite short programs of the day. I have no idea how Kevin held on to that 3A, but damn!

Very happy for Keegan, but am I the only one who thinks he uses the same music over and over?

If Nathan and Jason can hold their spots, or improve, the US will have their three spots at the Olympics.

Last comment - I think that no matter where he place, Alexei Bychenko should always be allowed to skate, just so I can look at him. LOL

bychenko-0205.jpg.824x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's best to just ignore it.
I know I should, but I always wonder can the skaters? I know they're professional sportspeople and know pressure, but that seems so different from also knowing that somewhere out there there's people who literally hate your guts and want you to disappear off the face of the earth.

TBH I wouldn't find it surprising if a skater needed a sports psychologist...I'd be super surprised if they didn't! 😳

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I know I should, but I always wonder can the skaters? I know they're professional sportspeople and know pressure, but that seems so different from also knowing that somewhere out there there's people who literally hate your guts and want you to disappear off the face of the earth.

TBH I wouldn't find it surprising if a skater needed a sports psychologist...I'd be super surprised if they didn't! 😳
The skaters don't tend to spend time perusing social media.

Also while a lot will use a sports psychologist that's more for competitive mindset and competition settings, training, etc. Social media barely registers. Also a lot of coaches and parents (depending on the age of the skater) will keep them "isolated". Another thing too, often their worst critic is themselves.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
I've enjoyed watching the SP. My top favorites were Yuzu, Jason, and Deniss.
Though, why was Deniss scored low on PCS? He should've deserved higher.
Congrats to the top 5. 👏
I'm also happy for Bychenko and gutted for Boyang. I hope he can perform well in the LP. :)

badknees

Medalist
OK, soooooo, tried reading through all 97 pages and all I could come up with is..........

Because Zhou is not in the top 24 at Worlds, the U.S. will have to send skater or skaters to Nebelhorn.

How many skaters can go to Nebelhorn?
Can it be Zhou?
Who picks the skaters?
What place do they have to come in at Nebelhorn?

If only 2 U.S. skaters were here at Worlds and the placement equaled 13, do they get the 3 spots for Olympics and don't have to send anyone to Nebelhorn?

Thanks!

Dogo

On the Ice
Things like this. You always assume the worst.
Sadly, it is true. He does have a lot of people that wish him the worst. The thing with Vincent is that he has a tremendous talent (and is extremely hardworking) but sometimes it can get to his head and can come across as being a bit too cocky (not in a bad way). He's grown and matured a lot though.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
OK, soooooo, tried reading through all 97 pages and all I could come up with is..........

Because Zhou is not in the top 24 at Worlds, the U.S. will have to send skater or skaters to Nebelhorn.

How many skaters can go to Nebelhorn?
Can it be Zhou?
Who picks the skaters?
What place do they have to come in at Nebelhorn?

If only 2 U.S. skaters were here at Worlds and the placement equaled 13, do they get the 3 spots for Olympics and don't have to send anyone to Nebelhorn?

Thanks!
Any skater except Jason and Nathan can vie for the extra spot at Nebelhorn. If we only had two spots that added up to 13 or less, then we would still need to qualify a third Olympic spot at Nebelhorn. That's what will happen with the ladies if Karen and Brady can keep their placements equal to or under 13.