2021 Worlds: Men's' Free Skate | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's' Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
He definitely has the performance ability down. I am not sure he has the SS or jumps yet. But, it could come. He is so cute!
Grassl is also looking more and more serious, even though not everything worked for him today...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Han did everything to save Team China but missing the 2nd spot by one placement puts everything in vain. It's unlikely they will send him to the Olympics though I really hope to see him (and Boyang as well) there 😭 A skater like him deserves an appearance at his home arena.
That's what worst. He did what he could, but in the end, Fed makes the decision...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Rewatching now. WTF is up with Kolyada's top?

Literally painful to look at.

He is such a handsome guy. Pretty even. I miss his early career costumes.
It looks like he wore undershirt. Or just weirdly made costume. I didn't like that either.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Yuma has his olympic spot locked. Even if he surprisingly does worse next season. As long he's in top5 at nats he will be fine. Worlds medalists of previous season are rarely left out of the team and he's the highest finisher. And JSF will sure push him to be the n.1.
Seems to me that Yuzuru, Shoma, and Yuma should be about as much of a lock for Japan's team as Nathan, Vincent, and Jason should be for the US. (I'm going on the assumption that Vincent just had a Kevin Aymoz kind of bad day. He'll be fine, and he's clearly US # 2/3 because of his tech and his (improving) artistry.

readernick

Medalist
Seems to me that Yuzuru, Shoma, and Yuma should be about as much of a lock for Japan's team as Nathan, Vincent, and Jason should be for the US. (I'm going on the assumption that Vincent just had a Kevin Aymoz kind of bad day. He'll be fine, and he's clearly US # 2/3 because of his tech and his (improving) artistry.
Agree about Yuzuru, Yuma, Shoma. Why would they send anyone else? Strongest men's team. They have it all jumps, SS, unique artistry. However, I am not sure Vincent and Jason are 100 percent locks. The US has lot of extremely talented but rather inconsistent young men. If one of them finds their stride next year, they could find their way onto the team. Nathan could , of course, come to nationals bow and then step off the ice and they would give him the gold.

eterialskating

On the Ice
Hanyu has become so stale. Another one of his ghosting LP performances which actually won him 2 Olympics gold medals. Disaster at Sochi, forgettable and messy in Pyeongchang, could lightning strike 3 times at Beijing? It looks unlikely with Chen around but you never know. Performance of the night goes to Kolyada's first half, Chen of course wins overall. Chen for me just lacks projection, transitions and extensions. His jumping technique though is faultless and for all the the talk about him lacking in SS, I consider him better in that department than Hanyu. Not Kozuka or Chan level but still very good.

eterialskating

On the Ice
After this entire competition I’m convinced that PCS make no sense. In what world is Nathan 4 points above Yuzu (I know he wasn’t his best but still) and more than 6+ from everyone else in the top 5/6. They could’ve given Nathan 89 for PCS and he still would’ve won!
In what universe should Hanyu even be 90+ with that performance. That deserves below 85. The hubris! That's almost as bad as 2016 Worlds LP. When Hanyu bombs he bombs hard. Chen is quite reasonably scored IMO. I'd give him 93-95 in PCS but it doesn't matter in the end because he killed it in the TES department. They could easily have given him 10's like Fernandez or Hanyu when they do perfect programs but despite being defending WC twice and sweeping all tournaments since last Olympics he still hasn't received PCS scores like those 2.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like almost all the best commentators he is a former ice dancer. Why are ice dancers such good commentators?
I have to figure out who to write to, but I want to let the powers that be know that he is a fantastic commentator. For me, he made it so enjoyable. He's knowledgeable, he knows when to keep silence, he's positive but not in a sappy, cheerleader way. I could just go on and on. I thought he was great.

Adjesusluvsu

Rinkside
Country
United-States
In what universe should Hanyu even be 90+ with that performance. That deserves below 85. The hubris! That's almost as bad as 2016 Worlds LP. When Hanyu bombs he bombs hard. Chen is quite reasonably scored IMO. I'd give him 93-95 in PCS but it doesn't matter in the end because he killed it in the TES department. They could easily have given him 10's like Fernandez or Hanyu when they do perfect programs but despite being defending WC twice and sweeping all tournaments since last Olympics he still hasn't received PCS scores like those 2.
I do think that Hanyu can bomb hard, but this program today was not a complete failure. It wasn't great or energetic by any means, but it wasn't his worst. He managed to avoid any falls flat out on the ice, and he had two good quad combos. In the end though, Nathan got higher PCS than Yuzuru, which he deserves for his stellar performance today! That's what matters, right? And last world championships, Nathan's FS had substantial PCS, so he does get rewarded for it, arguably more than some of the other equally artistic but less popular skaters.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know he already had COVID right, pretty recently. He has antibodies
Antibodies doesn't stop you from infecting others, or excuse you from complying with rules.

Spousal unit is over 70, vaccinated, and has medical issues that could make wearing a mask difficult, and he still does it.

Mishin has no excuse :cautious:

MUALover

Rinkside
Hanyu has become so stale. Another one of his ghosting LP performances which actually won him 2 Olympics gold medals. Disaster at Sochi, forgettable and messy in Pyeongchang, could lightning strike 3 times at Beijing? It looks unlikely with Chen around but you never know. Performance of the night goes to Kolyada's first half, Chen of course wins overall. Chen for me just lacks projection, transitions and extensions. His jumping technique though is faultless and for all the the talk about him lacking in SS, I consider him better in that department than Hanyu. Not Kozuka or Chan level but still very good.

I keep on thinking if only Plushenko competed in Sochi in Men's singles, he would have won....

MUALover

Rinkside

This is why I think Hanyu is overrated. He's a great skater but he never performs under pressure. It's sad he has more OG medals (in Men's singles) than Yagudin or Plushenko. He'll never be GOAT.