2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Regarding the Samarin-Vs-Gumennik debate, it is true that Gumennik has better average score and average placement than Samarin, however it is also true that the two have gone head-to-head twice this season, at the 2nd stage of the Russian cup and then at Russnats, and both times Samarin placed above Gumennik, making it pretty hard to justify placing Gumennik on the team over Samarin.

Although I can say Samarin didn't deserve to beat him at all, the overscoring at RusNats was outrageous. Just take a look at Alexander's 3A+3T landing and GOE vs Petr's 4S landing and GOE, and their PCS..

CrazyKittenLady

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
There was an interview with Kogan where he clarified the selection criteria for the national team. They are the same for both senior and junior skaters. It is not explicitly stated, but I guess the competitions used for evaluation are then also in the respective categories, e.g. Grand Prix for senior national team, Junior Grand Prix for junior national team. It is not explained how it works for skaters transitioning from juniors to seniors, or how it's supposed to work with the cancelled JGP and Junior World Championship this season.
Anyway, according to the article these are the criteria to make it into the national team:
- Top 15 at (Junior) World Championship, or
- Top 10 at European Championship (no Junior equivalent), or
- Top 8 at any (Junior) Grand Prix stage, or
- Top 6 at Russian (Junior) Nationals, or
- Top 5 at Russian (Junior) Cup Final

All the guys on the senior team fulfil at least one of the criteria except for Danielian, who was of course out due to injury.
If we apply these requirements to the junior men, we get the following:
- Top 15 at Junior Worlds: competition was cancelled
- Top 8 at JGP: cancelled
- Top 6 at Russian Junior Nationals: Semenenko (will compete in seniors), Golubev, Rukhin, Yablokov, Ugoshaev, Dikidzhi
- Top 5 at Russian Junior Cup Final: Dikidzhi, Kutovoi, Ugoshaev, Soloviov, Anisimov

Then there is Kovalev, who competed seniors last season, but announced he will stay in juniors for 2021/22, and Samsonov, who was injured and only participated in Russian Junior Nationals where he failed to meet the selection criteria.

Based on this my prediction for the main junior national team would be: Golubev, Rukhin, Yablokov, Ugoshaev, Dikidzhi, Kutovoi with Soloviov, Anisimov, and either one of Kovalev or Samsonov in reserve. Both Kovalev and Samsonov formally did not meet any of the criteria for the senior or junior national team.

Edit: I just realized that this is pretty much exactly what @IndiaP12 posted two pages ago, so it might be superfluous, but I invested 10 minutes to break down and apply the selection criteria, so I don't want to delete the whole post now. At least we are in agreement. :biggrin:

JustSomeGuy

On the Ice
Although I can say Samarin didn't deserve to beat him at all, the overscoring at RusNats was outrageous. Just take a look at Alexander's 3A+3T landing and GOE vs Petr's 4S landing and GOE, and their PCS..

You mean Samarin's 3A-3T that only got positive GOE from a single judge, the same judge that gave Gumennik only -1 for a 3A with a 360 degree turn-out and a hand down when almost every other judge gave him -2 or -3, and seems to have just been scoring everybody generously, and the one positive GOE doesn't even count on because they remove the highest and lowest before calculating the average? You mean that one?

Compare to Gumennik's 4Sq which, to be completely honest with you, actually looked like more than a quarter under in real time so already that was pretty generous for him. First, we need to address The Question Of q (lord I promise that is the only time I will ever make that joke) as that has been causing some wonky scoring to begin with - historically, judges have given lower GEO for jumps landed on the quarter by giving it the negative bullet for a bad landing, since these jumps don't get the UR call. However, with the q mark now in place there is a deduction for this, so the judges are giving 1-2 point GOE deductions on top of the 1 point deduction for the bad landing, so the quarter rotation missing gets deducted twice. This is absolutely not Gumennik's fault, and it's not really the judges fault, and it's definitely not Samarin's fault, it's just a kink in the ever-evolving code of points.

Now, let's look at the GOE bullets for Gumennik's 4S:

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence) I wouldn't say the height or distance of this jump is particularly impressive. I wouldn't take points from him for this but I wouldn't give them either.
2) good take-off and landing This is absolutely a negative bullet - ignoring the rotation issue, he bends over on the landing and his hand is pretty close to the ice
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination) That landing was not effortless. Also, he looked pretty slow going into the jump, plus the lack of rotation, and this is a negative.
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry He does have steps before the jump so this is a plus on this GOE bullet
5) very good body position from take-off to landing See the landing GOE bullet, he bent over quite a bit on the landing. He also looks like he doesn't know what to do with his hands/arms during the landing and just leaves them to hang. His body position was okay up until the landing, so I could justify leaving this neutral, but I could also justify a negative for the landing position
6) element matches the music I'm going to try to avoid any snarky 'No POTO programs should ever get this bullet' comments here, but there weren't really any musical accents at this stage for him to take off and land on. I suspect the change of direction after the jump was meant to be on 'to glance behind' but the timing didn't quite hit, so it looks like the bad landing messed him up on this bullet too; I could justify a negative bullet for that reason, but that's dependent on my presumption of his intent, so I'm giving him a neutral.

So, before the 1-2 points q deduction, this is looking to be a -2 jump: three negatives, one positive and 2 neutral. But, two bullets could have gone either way - if I hadn't been enjoying a nice pot noodle while typing this, I might have given him a negative on bullet 6, and that would have turned this into a -3 jump even before the q, whereas if my pot noodle had been my favourite flavour (sticky rib) rather than the beef and tomato I had in the cupboard I might even have given it a -1. All but two judges gave Gumennik a -2 on this jump, with only one giving -3 and one giving -1. J7 who gave him the -3 was actually one of the most lenient with him on the other elements, so maybe he was tapping his foot under the table and stubbed his toe by accident right before that jump? Who Knows?
There are two things that really screwed Gumennik over big time in regards to this jump: 1) the key mistake (the bad landing) impacted multiple GOE bullets, not just one and 2) he had had visible issues on every element up until that point. The two double jumps on the opening 4-2-2 barely left the ice, the 3A had that huge turn-out and the hand down on the landing and the FCS ended up sliding across the ice towards the end and looked pretty laboured on the way out. Ironically, this is the same thing that ended up screwing Samarin over in his 2019 Worlds SP, but when you make multiple small mistakes in a row it tends to put the judges in a bad mood, and messing up your opening element can be a death sentence in a judged sport.

Now, let's look at Samarin's 3A-3T:

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence) Honestly I'm trying not to use Samarin as the metric for this bullet because that's like using Jin Boyang as the metric for a good lutz edge. This actually isn't anywhere close to Samarin's best, but even with the camera zoomed out you can see he gets a good way off the ice. This is actually the place where Samarin benefits from reputation, because everybody knows that he normally clears the ice like my mother clears the living room after she sees a spider, so nobody is looking for a fault here.
2) good take-off and landing Obviously, the 360 degree step-out gives him a negative on this, no question.
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination) He goes in with decent speed and there's good flow throughout the combo -he stays in motion throughout the entire pass - it's just the landing of the 3T specifically that isn't effortless. A deduction for the 3T landing could be justified, but honestly that would be harsh. Here he benefits from this being a combo, because there are more positives on this bullet to counter the one negative; had it just been the 3T as a solo jump this would have gotten a negative, but everything up until the 3T landing saved him here.
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry Eh, this one I just don't feel like giving him. There are some turns/steps before the jump but they aren't immediately before the jump and he takes the jump out of a running edge - I could understand why somebody might give him this one, but I just don't want to. There isn't really a negative bullet for this category, and it's not like he does the jump straight out of a row of crossovers or anything.
5) very good body position from take-off to landing He stays upright throughout which puts him ahead of Gumennik on this one, he keeps his ankles together without a leg-wrap, no worrying tilt on the jump anywhere and he actually looks like he knows what he's doing with his hands/arms for the most part rather than just letting them hang which is nice
6) element matches the music Honestly this one I just never feel like giving out for jumps. He does take off right on the chorus - he leaves the ice right on "breaking" and land the 3T pretty much right on "me" so the whole combo should have covered the line "breaking every chain that you put on me", which I will admit is actually pretty nice and now I feel like I'm being a bit harsh with him. Again, I could understand why somebody would give him this one but I just don't want to.

So, that two positive, one negative and three neutral, which before the deduction for the step-out would give him a GOE of +1, which only one judge gave him. Assuming 1-2 points GOE deducted for the step-out (on top of the negative on bullet 2 for the same mistake) that would put him at 0 to -1, which all but one judge gave him. And that's with two of the bullets listed as "I just didn't feel like giving it to him". If I hadn't finished my lunch while reviewing Gumennik's 4S and if I didn't really need to pee right now I actually might have called this jump underscored.
Where Samarin benefits on this pass is that it's a combo, so it gives him more opportunity to get things right to counter the one thing her gets wrong, but also that the one mistake, the step-out, doesn't impact multiple GOE bullets in the way Gumennik's does. If Gumennik's landing had been the second half of a combo (and had everything else in the combo been smooth) he wouldn't have gotten the negative for bullet 3 and if he had just had a step- or turn-out rather than the lean forwards with the dangling arms he wouldn't have gotten a negative (and might even have gotten a positive) for bullet 5. He also tend to benefit on his jumps from the fact that his biggest asset on them - the height, distance, speed and flow - is something that's very immediately visible, which helps earn favour with the judges.

Honestly I'll give a whole PCS breakdown some other day but let me just say that Samarin isn't actually overscored at all. Well, not any more than any other big-fed skater, anyway. A lot of PCS bullets, as vague as they are, are things you only need to demonstrate once or twice in the program to tick the box and then move on. That's what COP sports are - that's kinda what all sports are, really - a box ticking exercise. Tick the green box, you get a point. Tick the red box, you loose a point. For football/soccer, the green box is 'ball in your opponent's net' and the red box is 'offside' and you're just trying to tick green without ticking red. Figure Skating has more boxes but honestly it's the same basic principle.

You can enjoy his skating or not enjoy his skating but if there is one thing Samarin is undeniably good at it's ticking the right boxes. Don't hate on the guy because he studied to the exam specifications.

The fact is, if you want Figure Skating to remain a sport and not a beauty pageant then that means you have to implement some uniformity so that the sport can be scored somewhat objectively, and that's always going to mean a degree of box-ticking going on.

JustSomeGuy

On the Ice
And now that I have returned from my brief trip across the hall and before I forget, please see below for your table of scores and placements for the junior guys. Please keep in mind that Semenenko is on the senior team so he's not a candidate for the junior national team. Also please be aware that some of those scores are from senior cup events and senior nationals, so the placements might not be indicative of the skaters' standing against their fellow juniors. For that reason, I did not calculate average placement, only average score. Placements from junior competitions are indicated with a (J) and placements from senior competitions are indicated with a (S).

Name​
Russian Cup I​
Russian Cup II​
Russian Cup III​
Russian Cup IV​
Russian Cup V​
RusNats (J)​
RusNats (S)​
RCF​
Average Score​
Placement​
Score​
Placement​
Score​
Placement​
Score​
Placement​
Score​
Placement​
Score​
Placement​
Score​
Placement​
Score​
Placement​
Score​
Evgeny SEMENENKO​
4 (S)​
249.05​
1 (S)​
264.38​
1​
247.37​
11​
228.47​
1 (S)​
265.13​
250.88​
Alexander GOLUBEV​
2 (J)​
220.87​
5 (J)​
213.5​
2​
236.58​
223.65​
Egor RUKHIN​
5 (S)​
234.9​
2 (S)​
246.49​
3​
235.71​
9​
240.17​
239.32​
Ilya YABLOKOV​
4 (S)​
236.77​
4 (S)​
245.43​
4​
234.24​
14​
214.15​
232.65​
Nikolay UGOZHAEV​
1 (J)​
227.94​
3 (J)​
235.27​
5​
228.41​
3 (J)​
222.18​
228.45​
Vladislav DIKIDZHI​
2 (J)​
228.16​
2 (J)​
241.71​
6​
228.02​
1 (J)​
244.97​
235.72​
Daniil SAMSONOV​
7​
226.2​
226.20​
Kirill SARNOVSKY​
4 (J)​
208.59​
4 (J)​
233.07​
8​
225.02​
10 (J)​
201.3​
217.00​
Artyom KOVALEV​
1 (S)​
229.39​
1 (S)​
255.82​
9​
223.27​
8​
247.17​
6 (S)​
248.73​
240.88​
Andrey KUTOVOY​
3 (J)​
221.52​
1 (J)​
231.24​
10​
217.07​
2 (J)​
231.74​
225.39​
Maxim BELYAVSKY​
5 (J)​
215.68​
2 (J)​
227.58​
11​
215.56​
6 (J)​
209.07​
216.97​
Andrey ANISIMOV​
7 (J)​
198.18​
1 (J)​
242.48​
12​
213.66​
5 (J)​
211.66​
216.50​
Vsevolod KNYAZEV​
6 (J)​
193.45​
2 (J)​
216.34​
13​
211.53​
207.11​
Ivan POPOV​
3 (J)​
219.54​
3 (J)​
200.71​
14​
201.32​
9 (J)​
204.24​
206.45​
Fyodor ZONOV​
4 (J)​
208.01​
3 (J)​
215.14​
15​
199.49​
8 (J)​
205.4​
207.01​
Mark LUKIN​
5 (J)​
208.21​
4 (J)​
216.71​
16​
196.86​
7 (J)​
208.69​
207.62​
Maxim AVTUSHENKO​
6 (J)​
199.24​
4 (J)​
192.34​
17​
190.35​
12 (J)​
184.5​
153.29​
Semyon SOLOVIEV​
5 (J)​
196.75​
7 (J)​
199.03​
18​
187.98​
4 (J)​
216.28​
160.01​
Matvey VETLUGIN​
1 (J)​
228.78​
1 (J)​
230.43​
229.61​
Daniil FEDOSIMOV​
6 (J)​
189.62​
6 (J)​
180.44​
11 (J)​
189.38​
186.48​

Please note that because I included every junior men's skater who competed in junior nats and junior RCF rather than just the national team there was a lot more data for me to collate, so please give me a heads-up if I missed anything or put anything in wrong. Also, I lied about having nothing to do this weekend; I forgot about Eurovision. That in mind, averages were calculated during the intermission while polishing off my second adult beverage of the night, and I only drink during ESC, so I apologise for any mistakes in my calculations and please let me know if there are any so that I can correct me spreadsheets.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
You mean Samarin's 3A-3T that only got positive GOE from a single judge, the same judge that gave Gumennik only -1 for a 3A with a 360 degree turn-out and a hand down when almost every other judge gave him -2 or -3, and seems to have just been scoring everybody generously, and the one positive GOE doesn't even count on because they remove the highest and lowest before calculating the average? You mean that one?

Compare to Gumennik's 4Sq which, to be completely honest with you, actually looked like more than a quarter under in real time so already that was pretty generous for him. First, we need to address The Question Of q (lord I promise that is the only time I will ever make that joke) as that has been causing some wonky scoring to begin with - historically, judges have given lower GEO for jumps landed on the quarter by giving it the negative bullet for a bad landing, since these jumps don't get the UR call. However, with the q mark now in place there is a deduction for this, so the judges are giving 1-2 point GOE deductions on top of the 1 point deduction for the bad landing, so the quarter rotation missing gets deducted twice. This is absolutely not Gumennik's fault, and it's not really the judges fault, and it's definitely not Samarin's fault, it's just a kink in the ever-evolving code of points.

Now, let's look at the GOE bullets for Gumennik's 4S:

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence) I wouldn't say the height or distance of this jump is particularly impressive. I wouldn't take points from him for this but I wouldn't give them either.
2) good take-off and landing This is absolutely a negative bullet - ignoring the rotation issue, he bends over on the landing and his hand is pretty close to the ice
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination) That landing was not effortless. Also, he looked pretty slow going into the jump, plus the lack of rotation, and this is a negative.
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry He does have steps before the jump so this is a plus on this GOE bullet
5) very good body position from take-off to landing See the landing GOE bullet, he bent over quite a bit on the landing. He also looks like he doesn't know what to do with his hands/arms during the landing and just leaves them to hang. His body position was okay up until the landing, so I could justify leaving this neutral, but I could also justify a negative for the landing position
6) element matches the music I'm going to try to avoid any snarky 'No POTO programs should ever get this bullet' comments here, but there weren't really any musical accents at this stage for him to take off and land on. I suspect the change of direction after the jump was meant to be on 'to glance behind' but the timing didn't quite hit, so it looks like the bad landing messed him up on this bullet too; I could justify a negative bullet for that reason, but that's dependent on my presumption of his intent, so I'm giving him a neutral.

So, before the 1-2 points q deduction, this is looking to be a -2 jump: three negatives, one positive and 2 neutral. But, two bullets could have gone either way - if I hadn't been enjoying a nice pot noodle while typing this, I might have given him a negative on bullet 6, and that would have turned this into a -3 jump even before the q, whereas if my pot noodle had been my favourite flavour (sticky rib) rather than the beef and tomato I had in the cupboard I might even have given it a -1. All but two judges gave Gumennik a -2 on this jump, with only one giving -3 and one giving -1. J7 who gave him the -3 was actually one of the most lenient with him on the other elements, so maybe he was tapping his foot under the table and stubbed his toe by accident right before that jump? Who Knows?
There are two things that really screwed Gumennik over big time in regards to this jump: 1) the key mistake (the bad landing) impacted multiple GOE bullets, not just one and 2) he had had visible issues on every element up until that point. The two double jumps on the opening 4-2-2 barely left the ice, the 3A had that huge turn-out and the hand down on the landing and the FCS ended up sliding across the ice towards the end and looked pretty laboured on the way out. Ironically, this is the same thing that ended up screwing Samarin over in his 2019 Worlds SP, but when you make multiple small mistakes in a row it tends to put the judges in a bad mood, and messing up your opening element can be a death sentence in a judged sport.

Now, let's look at Samarin's 3A-3T:

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence) Honestly I'm trying not to use Samarin as the metric for this bullet because that's like using Jin Boyang as the metric for a good lutz edge. This actually isn't anywhere close to Samarin's best, but even with the camera zoomed out you can see he gets a good way off the ice. This is actually the place where Samarin benefits from reputation, because everybody knows that he normally clears the ice like my mother clears the living room after she sees a spider, so nobody is looking for a fault here.
2) good take-off and landing Obviously, the 360 degree step-out gives him a negative on this, no question.
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination) He goes in with decent speed and there's good flow throughout the combo -he stays in motion throughout the entire pass - it's just the landing of the 3T specifically that isn't effortless. A deduction for the 3T landing could be justified, but honestly that would be harsh. Here he benefits from this being a combo, because there are more positives on this bullet to counter the one negative; had it just been the 3T as a solo jump this would have gotten a negative, but everything up until the 3T landing saved him here.
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry Eh, this one I just don't feel like giving him. There are some turns/steps before the jump but they aren't immediately before the jump and he takes the jump out of a running edge - I could understand why somebody might give him this one, but I just don't want to. There isn't really a negative bullet for this category, and it's not like he does the jump straight out of a row of crossovers or anything.
5) very good body position from take-off to landing He stays upright throughout which puts him ahead of Gumennik on this one, he keeps his ankles together without a leg-wrap, no worrying tilt on the jump anywhere and he actually looks like he knows what he's doing with his hands/arms for the most part rather than just letting them hang which is nice
6) element matches the music Honestly this one I just never feel like giving out for jumps. He does take off right on the chorus - he leaves the ice right on "breaking" and land the 3T pretty much right on "me" so the whole combo should have covered the line "breaking every chain that you put on me", which I will admit is actually pretty nice and now I feel like I'm being a bit harsh with him. Again, I could understand why somebody would give him this one but I just don't want to.

So, that two positive, one negative and three neutral, which before the deduction for the step-out would give him a GOE of +1, which only one judge gave him. Assuming 1-2 points GOE deducted for the step-out (on top of the negative on bullet 2 for the same mistake) that would put him at 0 to -1, which all but one judge gave him. And that's with two of the bullets listed as "I just didn't feel like giving it to him". If I hadn't finished my lunch while reviewing Gumennik's 4S and if I didn't really need to pee right now I actually might have called this jump underscored.
Where Samarin benefits on this pass is that it's a combo, so it gives him more opportunity to get things right to counter the one thing her gets wrong, but also that the one mistake, the step-out, doesn't impact multiple GOE bullets in the way Gumennik's does. If Gumennik's landing had been the second half of a combo (and had everything else in the combo been smooth) he wouldn't have gotten the negative for bullet 3 and if he had just had a step- or turn-out rather than the lean forwards with the dangling arms he wouldn't have gotten a negative (and might even have gotten a positive) for bullet 5. He also tend to benefit on his jumps from the fact that his biggest asset on them - the height, distance, speed and flow - is something that's very immediately visible, which helps earn favour with the judges.

Honestly I'll give a whole PCS breakdown some other day but let me just say that Samarin isn't actually overscored at all. Well, not any more than any other big-fed skater, anyway. A lot of PCS bullets, as vague as they are, are things you only need to demonstrate once or twice in the program to tick the box and then move on. That's what COP sports are - that's kinda what all sports are, really - a box ticking exercise. Tick the green box, you get a point. Tick the red box, you loose a point. For football/soccer, the green box is 'ball in your opponent's net' and the red box is 'offside' and you're just trying to tick green without ticking red. Figure Skating has more boxes but honestly it's the same basic principle.

You can enjoy his skating or not enjoy his skating but if there is one thing Samarin is undeniably good at it's ticking the right boxes. Don't hate on the guy because he studied to the exam specifications.

The fact is, if you want Figure Skating to remain a sport and not a beauty pageant then that means you have to implement some uniformity so that the sport can be scored somewhat objectively, and that's always going to mean a degree of box-ticking going on.
sorry, I disagree. Idk how you can't think Samarin isn't overscored. And where was I hating on him? I literally became way more of a fan of his skating this season but he just gets handed these automatic high scores. That's not his fault. Yeah, he got decent height and distance on the combo, but jumped and hopped about until the cows came home, yet got the slightest negative GOE and even a +1 and 0. Petr had a slight imbalance on his and the q call was debatable. He also even bothered to put a spread eagle and some choreo after it which is what sets him apart from Samarin. The height and distance on his was also good. Anyway, it's done and I can't change it, so never mind.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I found this video of team Mishin training at the summer camp in Kislovodsk and there was this blonde guy in the background who I thought looked oddly like Matvei Vetlugin. And sure enough, it turns out that Vetlugin moved from Butsaeva's group in Moskvich to Mishin: https://rsport.ria.ru/20210527/vetlugin-1734491453.html

Vetelugin is now training with Mishin, confirmed via SE.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Vetelugin is now training with Mishin, confirmed via SE.
Exciting!! I'll miss seeing Liudmila Sapronova and her woolly pink hat though :p
BTW he was at Moskvich, but not with Butsaeva - he was basically Sapronova's only advanced student so that's why you sometimes see him in photos and videos with Butsaeva's guys.

Early days yet but I think this move could be quite promising. Matvei has a few things in common with Mikhail Kolyada (great posture and lines, beautiful basic skating, maybe even better footwork than Misha, nice spins). He is definitely nowhere near as natural a jumper as Misha, but not the worst; he has the strength to jump high and does have a 4T and 3A, but they're kind of muscled. Hopefully Mishin can work on fixing some bad habits and making the rotation more efficient.

Mishin's bigger on jumps than presentation, but Kolyada's example shows what can happen when an artistic skater with inconsistent jumps moves to the Prof. I just hope that Matvei still gets programmes that show off his ability to handle complex choreography and his artistic versatility. That was something Sapronova strove to do, which I really liked.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Even more news from Moskvich: Egor Murashov will compete for Switzerland in future. He will train both in Switzerland and Moscow.
https://rsport.ria.ru/20210527/murashov-1734492422.html
He apparently has been expelled from Moskvich already but wants to continue to work with Butsaeva. Apparently Rusfed is against skaters that switched from Russia training at national rinks, which is a shame really. Tho CSKA does train multiple skaters that have switched and so does sambo so I dont know if this is a new stance or what.

Amei

Record Breaker
He apparently has been expelled from Moskvich already but wants to continue to work with Butsaeva. Apparently Rusfed is against skaters that switched from Russia training at national rinks, which is a shame really. Tho CSKA does train multiple skaters that have switched and so does sambo so I dont know if this is a new stance or what.

Makes sense though; they invest in the funding those rinks - why should they let skaters who are potential competitors to take medals from their skaters benefit from their financial investment

This isn't a new stance by the Russian Fed, perhaps they are looking to make it something more permanent, but the season of the Sochi Olympics Russian coaches were forbidden from coaching foreign skaters, it's how Tursynbayeva ended up with Orser.

JustSomeGuy

On the Ice
Just putting this out there but I find it a little insulting when I spend God-knows how much of my Sunday carefully reviewing jumps and the people who reply clearly don't bother to read the damn bullet points. But, onto the topic at hand...

The Russian figure skating federation has been trying to crack down on Russian skaters changing their sport citizenship to bypas the domestic competition these past couple of years. They recently instituted new minimum timescales before athletes can be released by the fed which are longer than the minimums set by the ISU (and also require no domestic competitions, so the athletes have to go without competing entirely) and were pretty open about the fact that it was to discourage further transfers. That in mind, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise if the federation were leaning on schools to no longer keep students who no longer represent Russia, since that would certainly discourage transfers by any skaters who did not wish to change their coaches. I doubt they would go so far as to ban all Russian coaches working with non-Russian athletes like they did before Sochi as that was a particularly unique case (home Olympics), and I suspect those already training in Russia have a good chance of being 'grandfathered' in. They might have just wanted to make an example of Murashov...

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Full list of the team members (seniors and juniors)

As for men.

Seniors:

Makar Ignatov
Mikhail Kolyada
Mark Kondratiuk
Andrei Mozalev
Aleksandr Samarin
Evgeniy Semenenko
Dmitry Aliev (reserve)
Pyotr Gumennik (reserve)
Artur Danielyan (reserve)

Juniors:

Aleksandr Golubev
Vladislav Dikidzhi
Egor Rukhin
Daniil Samsonov
Nikolay Ugozhaev
Ilya Yablokov
Andrei Kutovoi (reserve)
Gleb Lutfullin (reserve)
Kiril Sarmovskyi (reserve)

Novices:

Andrei Anisimov
Fyodor Zonov
Nikolai Kolesnikov
Ivan Popov
Semyon Solovyov

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Interesting, so for the Junior and Novice national team they went strictly by placement at RusNats.
Juniors: 2nd to 7th place at Junior Nats made the team, 8th made reserve (1st was Semenenko, who moved to seniors).
Novices: 1st to 5th place at Elder Age Novice Nats made the team, 6th made the Junior reserve team.
Only exception is Kutovoi, who made the Junior reserve team on account of his 2nd place at CoR Junior final. Kovalev got left out completely.

Edit: There is an additional list, which has Kovalev in Junior reserve, and Lazarev, Lukin, and Knyasev in Novice reserve.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Interesting, so for the Junior and Novice national team they went strictly by placement at RusNats.
Juniors: 2nd to 7th place at Junior Nats made the team, 8th made reserve (1st was Semenenko, who moved to seniors).
Novices: 1st to 5th place at Elder Age Novice Nats made the team, 6th made the Junior reserve team.
Only exception is Kutovoi, who made the Junior reserve team on account of his 2nd place at CoR Junior final. Kovalev got left out completely.

Edit: There is an additional list, which has Kovalev in Junior reserve, and Lazarev, Lukin, and Knyasev in Novice reserve.
Yes, it's here, I wrongly considered it a separate list for novices before checking.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Full list of the team members (seniors and juniors)

As for men.

Seniors:

Makar Ignatov
Mikhail Kolyada
Mark Kondratiuk
Andrei Mozalev
Aleksandr Samarin
Evgeniy Semenenko
Dmitry Aliev (reserve)
Pyotr Gumennik (reserve)
Artur Danielyan (reserve)

Juniors:

Aleksandr Golubev
Vladislav Dikidzhi
Egor Rukhin
Daniil Samsonov
Nikolay Ugozhaev
Ilya Yablokov
Andrei Kutovoi (reserve)
Gleb Lutfullin (reserve)
Kiril Sarmovskyi (reserve)

Novices:

Andrei Anisimov
Fyodor Zonov
Nikolai Kolesnikov
Ivan Popov
Semyon Solovyov
Glad to hear that there is another update with Kovalev making the list, but I am happy to see Mozalev and Popov making it in their respective groups, was worried about both 🌹