2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 103 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Skating lesson said an hour ago that Yuzu said he couldnt make his jump happen cause of a deformity in the ice

Well that sucks.

I remember Plushenko in the 2004 Worlds FS falling on his back taking off into his final triple
because there was something on the ice, but the stakes there weren't as high as they were here,
Plushenko still won that event.

GabrielleBaker

Spectator
I’m gutted for Yuzuru reminded me of Moa Asada’s final Olympics. I can’t see him making the podium now unless he skates at his absolute best, coupled with a few of those skaters now ahead of him have to pull out due to covid.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I'm so happy for Donovan, who could have thought that a mexican skater was going to debut at the winter olympics with an skate like that making to the free skate after like 30 years since the last time a compatriot skated in this event, and all of this achievement is due to his hard work along with his coach, he is being trendy now in my country and I hope that is a signal that some good things are coming. I just wish I could have seen Andrea Montesinos here too! But at least she is comenting the figure skating events here in Mexico and she was supporting Donovan, so imagine how happy she was after his skate, I love how nice they are with each other competing together almost everytime, by the way Andrea was so happy about Nathan Chen as well coz he is her partner training under Rafael and was sending grettings to her coachs live, how cute. I haven't been so active here due to my love Rika Kihira ausence all season so I'm kinf of sad but this was a big surprise of a competition for me, I'm so proud of Donovan, all your country is proud of you, everyone here is proud of you, but most important you are proud of youself, thank you so much!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So nice to see an event that isn't a splat fast. Very happy Donovan made the free skate. Happy for Keegan. Nice job from Cha, look forward to his Turandot. Happy about 1, 2, 3 placements. The free skate is gonna be a barn burner. I'm nervous already.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adrenalin. The Magic Of The Olympic Moment. Sheer guts and determination.

Think of Kerry Strug landing that vault on a fractured foot. I'm tired so that is the first example that came to mind, but I'm sure people here could give you dozens of examples of athletes who rose above their previous abilities to create a truly "Olympic Moment."

That's the magic of it.
That’s such a bad example though, because the US had already won that event. Not only was it not necessary for her to do the vault, she certainly shouldn’t have been asked to do it. She should not have been allowed to do it. It is a coaches responsibility to care for their athletes physically, not sacrifice them on the altar of their own notoriety. She destroyed her leg and her career was over. For nothing. Even if the US had not already won the event, she was injured and permanently messed up her leg doing that vault.

Haikush

On the Ice
Don't forget that Nathan came back and won the fp in 2018, redeeming his Olympic experience, despite the amazing 6 quad fp not giving him a podium spot. Plus, he has a 2018 team bronze.

BTW, Nathan has always been artistic. He hears, understands and interprets the music, on top of his blazing technical talent. Some people don't like giving Nathan credit for the fact that he's always combined superb artistry with superior athleticism. 💫
Sorry but he doesn't have superb artistry....period....

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Feeling bad for Yuzuru. :(

Also feeling doubly bad for Vincent. More than ever, I cannot help wondering what a COVID-free Vincent could have accomplished in the individual event. 🤔

I saw that video Vincent did and I can't put into words how badly I felt for that guy. He put so much work into getting there and even Nathan commented back at Skate America that he hadn't put in the work Vincent had, but he was happy for Vincent.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That wasn't a step sequence. It was the choreographic sequence.
Sorry. Choreographic sequences are worth even less. 3.0 for choreographic sequence right? And 3.9 for level 4 step sequence?
But you are correct of course. It was a choreographic sequence.

Cilla70

On the Ice
I think most people do think the program is special including former figure skaters who are very impressed with what he does on the ice choreographically. If you don't, that's okay. However, SS and TR aren't really a matter of personal taste and he absolutely deserves the 1st or 2nd highest scores in these categories.
I agree, Jason deserves every point he received. This short program is one the best at this Olympics.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that sucks.

I remember Plushenko in the 2004 Worlds FS falling on his back taking off into his final triple
because there was something on the ice, but the stakes there weren't as high as they were here,
Plushenko still won that event.
It happens. There was that giant chunk of ice missing at US nationals and they had to come do an emergency repair in the middle of the group. And Keegan got his toe pick caught in a divot at Worlds once. I’m sure three are tons of other examples. Just 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think his transitions are phenomenal. People underestimate the athletic ability it takes to do those things. The straight up ChSq1 in the short. His performance on Olympic ice was just as magical as any other one for me.
The transitions are great indeed. He would have had my full attention if he'd only tried that quad in the beginning. So it was triple flip bah, no adrenaline, playing it so very safe. Trusova gets all the points for performance from me, because she's thrilling to watch. So do Hanyu and Chen and many others, who are simply willing to take some risk.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Poooooooor Yuzuuuuu😭😭😭😭😭😭.
I still love him anyway, i hope he will do his best tomorrow.

I don't wanna see bombed programs so if he's clean and others too, he will be 4th at worst. It isn't that bad for 3rd and final olys.

Still my GOAT.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Was at work and looking at scores online when I could and wow at Hanyu tho can’t rule him out with a podium finish yet! Hopefully work won’t drag on for the free skate.