2022 Skate America location revealed (Norwood, Mass.) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America location revealed (Norwood, Mass.)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hopefully going to attend this, being in NY - can take Amtrak up to Westwood in about 3.5 hours via Acela.

Just booked a cute AirBnB in Westwood about 2 miles from the venue. Close to a Wegmans and the Amtrak station. Since I won't have a car, I'll be dependent on taxis or Uber/Lyfts in the area (or perhaps a generous GoldenSkater with a car who would be willing to drive me back and forth in exchange for a free dinner?).

Any hotel or AirBnB requires a car as nothing is really within a short distance of the SCOB facility. I am looking forward to seeing the facility in person, it looks really nice from videos and pictures I've seen.

Last edited:

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Currently doing research on how accessible SCOB is from Boston proper and I found a commuter train line that starts in downtown Boston and has a stop in downtown Norwood which isn't that far from SCOB (7 min by car). Link below for those interested

katymay

Medalist
This might be the first competition I may go to as only 30 minutes from me.

That is the same weekend as the Head of the Charles regatta so hotels will probably be pricier than usual and book up in advance. But the Boston area is beautiful in October so I highly recommend.
Good catch on that!. And that week is an absolute zoo. (My kids, my sister's kids, my brothers kids....Head of the Charles for eight years straight. lol Was actually happy when the 'crew years' ended for all of us.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Don't normally care about where the North American events are held, because it doesn't make much difference to those of us in other parts of the world. But I do care in this case.

I really hope the Boston club go all out to fill as many slots as they can with their own skaters that represent other countries.

Yes, I'm thinking about Marilena Kitromilis and Ashley Lin.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I suspect they are switching to a smaller arena due to advantages in the bidding process. It should be pretty full with all the pent up demand on the East coast. It will be interesting to see what a front row seat costs... $350? It would be worth it to go just to see Ice Coverage again....

All-session tickets include access to official practice sessions on Thursday, Oct. 20 and the Skating Spectacular.

P1 All-Session Tickets (rows 1-2): $295/seat + applicable taxes and fees
P2 All-Session Tickets (rows 3-10): $235/seat + applicable taxes and fees

Would be nice to see you again, Chris. :)
For now, I am my usual uncertain self. At the same time that I am giving serious consideration to Skate America at SCOB (very exciting news!), I also am interested in U.S. Classic/U.S. Challenge Skate in Lake Placid. (Plus U.S. Nats in San Jose ... plus ... :laugh:)

... I really hope the Boston club go all out to fill as many slots as they can with their own skaters that represent other countries.

Yes, I'm thinking about Marilena and Ashley Lin. ...

Hmmm ... is it realistic to expect that SCOB could have some influence over who USFS invites to Skate America? :unsure:
I do not know the answer. We shall see.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hmmm ... is it realistic to expect that SCOB could have some influence over who USFS invites to Skate America? :unsure:
I do not know the answer. We shall see.

I think it is.

The Boston club have been good enough to step up and agree to host the event. It is only natural that the USFSA should give the club something in return as a way of thanking them for doing so. And giving first refusal to the club's skaters for the international slots would be an easy way of doing that.

Plus, let's not forget that we are still in a pandemic. It would be preferable to have skaters competing that do not have to travel a large distance to get to the event.

CaroLiza_fan

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suspect they are switching to a smaller arena due to advantages in the bidding process. It should be pretty full with all the pent up demand on the East coast. It will be interesting to see what a front row seat costs... $350? It would be worth it to go just to see Ice Coverage again....
From the Skate America page (USFS)

All-session tickets go on-sale on Friday, May 6, 2022. A ticket link will be posted here once available.

All-session tickets include access to official practice sessions on Thursday, Oct. 20 and the Skating Spectacular.
  • P1 All-Session Tickets (rows 1-2): $295/seat + applicable taxes and fees
  • P2 All-Session Tickets (rows 3-10): $235/seat + applicable taxes and fees
Any remaining single session tickets will be available in Fall 2022.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hotels can be had for far less than that. The Hampton Inn is closest to the rink; I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, a bit farther out, but still close and perfectly fine. There is also a Marriott near the HIE.

One disadvantage of this location—no food options within walking distance other than the rink.

Reportedly accessible from Boston on the “T” line (though I did not try that.)
Looks like the Hampton is on the reccommended list, and is close Uber wise. 150 bucks before pirate taxes. Free breakfast. Yes, food is the issue. (Us country bumpkins have no idea what a T is, but transportation to and from the Airport is a good question. ) I will ask USFS if there is any talk of a shuttle.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good catch on that!. And that week is an absolute zoo. (My kids, my sister's kids, my brothers kids....Head of the Charles for eight years straight. lol Was actually happy when the 'crew years' ended for all of us.
Would a sailing event or any main Boston event effect hotels out this far? It at least LOOKED like the given special prices for the SA event were reasonable.

charmblade

Final Flight
Looks like the Hampton is on the reccommended list, and is close Uber wise. 150 bucks before pirate taxes. Free breakfast. Yes, food is the issue. (Us country bumpkins have no idea what a T is, but transportation to and from the Airport is a good question. ) I will ask USFS if there is any talk of a shuttle.
The T is the public transportation system (subway, bus, commuter rail). There is a commuter rail stop in Norwood but it would take a few exchanges to get there from the airport. Some hotels might have airport shuttles.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know, is the Hampton walkable to the arena? It shows .64 miles, which isn't far. Just wondering, since it could be an area with no sidewalks, bridges, busy highway, etc. Trying to figure out if there's a way to do things without a car.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Close to a Wegmans and the Amtrak station.

Folks who are thinking about going: Close. To. A. Wegmans.

Your dinner problems are solved. (Lucky for me, I shop for groceries every week at Wegmans. I remember how thrilled I was when spending a week in the great metropolis of Williamsport, PA for work, and I realized they had a Wegmans.:pray: But I digress.....)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Does anyone know, is the Hampton walkable to the arena? It shows .64 miles, which isn't far. Just wondering, since it could be an area with no sidewalks, bridges, busy highway, etc. Trying to figure out if there's a way to do things without a car.
I would say no. The rink is in a sort of industrial park-like area and the area between it and the Hampton Inn did not strike me as being conducive to travel on foot,