2023 World Junior Men's Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Men's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
not sure why people complain about Kao... i am not a fan really but he is not going to senior worlds... and he is age eligible... so why not ?

Tons of others do that ... always... we complain all the time that there aren't enough opportunities for skaters to compete and now people worry about some who are a bit better equipped than others?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I sounded off once and I’ll say it again: Miura has no business being here. Hopefully a rule change is in order to prevent this nonsense from happening again.

And how on earth do you propose such a rule be written? "Even if they are the same age as the juniors, if they are brave enough to try seniors (and succeed) they can't go back?" It is NOT Miura's fault that in a weaker international field this year, a junior-age competitor could win a senior medal.

Had he not gone to 4CC he would still have been here and just as far above the field.

There have been younger skaters winning medals in the male seniors field, after all...

yesterday

Record Breaker
giphy.gif

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Because he competed senior all year and has been competitive in seniors all year. This is his first junior competition and he was chosen over other junior skaters in Japan. JFed actually went against their selection criteria in choosing him. That’s why.

The majority of skaters that double-dip aren’t even competitive in either sector. Last year, Ilia was a special case. He competed at the junior level internationally and he was always going to Junior Worlds. It was naming him to Worlds that was the outlier, not the other way around.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Because he competed senior all year and has been competitive in seniors all year. This is his first junior competition and he was chosen over other junior skaters in Japan. JFed actually went against their selection criteria in choosing him. That’s why.

The majority of skaters that double-dip aren’t even competitive in either sector. Last year, Ilia was a special case. He competed at the junior level internationally and he was always going to Junior Worlds. It was naming him to Worlds that was the outlier, not the other way around.
And the Oly discussion never happened?

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Normally I'd be thrilled to see three people of Japanese descent on a podium...but I have to admit, I'm not exactly thrilled with Nozomu being there. I really really wish he could develop some sense of personality moving forward!

Thrilled to see Naoki having the skate of his life! He kept on fighting for the technical elements without sacrificing any of the artistic elements.

Kao...what can I say, he's well on his way to becoming a legend of the sport. Loved seeing Kao making the junior version of his free skate his own. I even loved seeing Kao laugh at himself after the mistake on the triple loop! Overjoyed to see him winning. Hopefully I can still sign up for the Kao fanclub. :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There is already an ISU rule that excludes skaters who do JGP from doing GP and vice versa. If the ISU wanted to forbid skaters from category hopping in ISU championships (or challengers), there would be a rule.

Those unhappy about this, can blame the ISU... not the skater... nor their team.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, outlier here, but I have absolutely no problem with Kao skating at Junior Worlds.

He qualifies, he skates. I don't care if he scores 300 in every senior comp prior. How is it fair to change that? :shrug: That is the joy of the junior men for me, the breadth of age and experience and expertise.

Congrats to the podium!

I'm not sure what's controversial. He is eligible, he qualified, and he competed on the same ice as everyone else.

And for the record, I think he was beatable. Don't get me wrong; he skated well and deserved to win, but he wasn't spectacular. It's not his fault the others didn't skate to potential.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Normally I'd be thrilled to see three people of Japanese descent on a podium...but I have to admit, I'm not exactly thrilled with Nozomu being there. I really really wish he could develop some sense of personality moving forward!

Thrilled to see Naoki having the skate of his life! He kept on fighting for the technical elements without sacrificing any of the artistic elements.

Kao...what can I say, he's well on his way to becoming a legend of the sport. Loved seeing Kao making the junior version of his free skate his own. I even loved seeing Kao laugh at himself after the mistake on the triple loop! Overjoyed to see him winning. Hopefully I can still sign up for the Kao fanclub. :biggrin:
Wesley could have corrected that.,, but he didn't so... you know.. a double axel instead of a pop and that was it ... at some point, Wesley will need to learn to be confident or to make sure he can skate with confidence by selecting an easier layout... and Nozomu will learn to fix his quality and connection...

If they don't succeed, we won't be talking about them for very long... Competitive sport is not easy.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
There is already an ISU rule that excludes skaters who do JGP from doing GP and vice versa. If the ISU wanted to forbid skaters from category hopping in ISU championships (or challengers), there would be a rule.

Those unhappy about this, can blame the ISU... not the skater... nor their team.
Oh, I do blame the ISU. I also blame the Federation.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm not sure what's controversial. He is eligible, he qualified, and he competed on the same ice as everyone else.

And for the record, I think he was beatable. Don't get me wrong; he skated well and deserved to win, but he wasn't spectacular. It's not his fault the others didn't skate to potential.
and he adapted his layout to fit the rules in the SP.. .and I agree, he was beatable... just not the way the event was skated tonight though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh, I do blame the ISU. I also blame the Federation.
The Federation ? Why? They are entitled to make their own selection as long as they follow the ISU rules. Even if they have guidelines and they do not follow them to a T... that is still their prerogative... They have a talented skater. He didn't do well enough at home... They wanted to nurture him and give him some confidence by giving him some opportunities to compete. He seized the day and won. That's all.

Wesley competed senior all year... and did badly all year... if he had done better at nationals, he wouldn't be here... he didn't.. Skate Canada selected him for junior worlds to help him build his confidence back... It almost worked :)

If he had landed one more jump,even a double axel, he probably would have been in 2nd... Would that upset people as well?

Probably not... Of course, it's moot to discuss hypothetically... anyways... the junior category's aim is for development... Both Wesley and Kao, as well as all 22 other skaters learned something more tonight... Mission accomplished.