Legacy 7, CA, CA Lite? Blade advice needed! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Legacy 7, CA, CA Lite? Blade advice needed!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
She’s just got the Royal Prime for my to try on as she’s got it on the shelves right now! I’m 100% certain I won’t be fitted into them and don’t expect to be! But because I’m coming from so far, I think she’d like me to get a feel for how different boots feel and future potential boots! No need to worry. I don’t plan on going anywhere near those boots right now.

To clarify, it wasn’t my idea, but it’s a two hour appointment and she’s wanting to try a range of things on me. I can assure you I won’t end up in something that advanced! :shrug:

Regarding blades, I’m trying out boots in size 240 and 235. I’m in 240 right now but she says I have a fair bit of room in there so we’ll be trying 235’s too. I’ll have to see on the day. She did tell me the Legacy 7’s are virtually the same as the CA’s, just with a slightly more aggressive toe pick.

And I’m in bronze freestyle and dance, working on my salchow and other things around that level. I have very strong legs however. :)
IDK how many times to tell you, or we have to tell you (not being rude, just kindly honest here), no matter how many times they want to say it at that shop and paint it that Legacy 7s are virtually the same as CA's. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME and never will be. The rocker is the most important thing for you and especially at your level and if you are doing dance as well (former singles and dance competitor here). You need the better rocker that is not flat, so you need a CA or a MK Pro for that.

I also think it's very strange (no matter how much time you have there for appointment), that they want to put you in a prime to try for fun. No. They should be putting you in various things at your level and very close to your level and that is it. Not something you may never be in ever.

Otherwise as always, I wish you luck with it all. come back after fitting and let us know what your new boot size is then can suggest with blade length etc. :)

Vladik

On the Ice
IDK how many times to tell you, or we have to tell you (not being rude, just kindly honest here), no matter how many times they want to say it at that shop and paint it that Legacy 7s are virtually the same as CA's. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME and never will be. The rocker is the most important thing for you and especially at your level and if you are doing dance as well (former singles and dance competitor here). You need the better rocker that is not flat, so you need a CA or a MK Pro for that.

I also think it's very strange (no matter how much time you have there for appointment), that they want to put you in a prime to try for fun. No. They should be putting you in various things at your level and very close to your level and that is it. Not something you may never be in ever.

Otherwise as always, I wish you luck with it all. come back after fitting and let us know what your new boot size is then can suggest with blade length etc. :)
Thank you! She did tell me that if there’s a blade I specifically really want, I can always get it. Wait time could be a while though. Just hoping I can find somewhere else with it in stock.

And honestly I have no idea, it wasn’t my idea and I definitely didn’t expect it.

Talionis

Rinkside
Thank you! She did tell me that if there’s a blade I specifically really want, I can always get it. Wait time could be a while though. Just hoping I can find somewhere else with it in stock.

And honestly I have no idea, it wasn’t my idea and I definitely didn’t expect it.
Maybe she wants you to feel what a “wrong” boot feels like so you can learn the difference between that and a boot with the correct stiffness for your level? Whatever upgrade you end up with is likely to feel much stiffer than what you have now, so maybe she wants to show you what “ too stiff” feels like in comparison? Just a wild guess.

Vladik

On the Ice
Maybe she wants you to feel what a “wrong” boot feels like so you can learn the difference between that and a boot with the correct stiffness for your level? Whatever upgrade you end up with is likely to feel much stiffer than what you have now, so maybe she wants to show you what “ too stiff” feels like in comparison? Just a wild guess.
Perhaps! I’ll have to wait and see. Either way, I definitely do not expect to be fitted into them. Royal Pro is a possibility though, and RF3 Pro is likely. As for Jackson, I don’t know enough about the Premieres or the Elite to make a judgement. I know a fair amount about the Debuts though, so that’s also a possibility.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

* If I remember correctly, you said you were 15 (?). One important issue: Are your feet still growing? That will affect your choice of boot somewhat, and how long you can wait for blades to arrive. Last thing you want is to buy boots and outgrow them while waiting for blades. :biggrin:

* If by chance you absolutely can't find a UK supplier for CA or Pro in your size, I recommend that you consider the Paramount CA as a backup, rather than the Legacy. Do some planning now: (a) Ask Everglides if they will order it. If so, what would the UK price be. (b) Ask your sharpener whether their skate holder can accommodate the blade. Tell them that the holder needs to clamp onto stanchions 9 mm thick.

* It's interesting that Everglides is ordering such a large selection of boots. I assume it's a common size that they want around anyways. If it's for your education on boots, that's fine. But though 2 hrs might seem a long time, it'll pass quickly. If you're trying on a variety of boots, it'll take time to lace up, see how they feel, and then unlace. Make sure you spend the most time on boots suited for your level. Then, if there's time left over, you can play with the more advanced models; you might as well take advantage of the opportunity to learn.

Vladik

On the Ice
* If I remember correctly, you said you were 15 (?). One important issue: Are your feet still growing? That will affect your choice of boot somewhat, and how long you can wait for blades to arrive. Last thing you want is to buy boots and outgrow them while waiting for blades. :biggrin:

* If by chance you absolutely can't find a UK supplier for CA or Pro in your size, I recommend that you consider the Paramount CA as a backup, rather than the Legacy. Do some planning now: (a) Ask Everglides if they will order it. If so, what would the UK price be. (b) Ask your sharpener whether their skate holder can accommodate the blade. Tell them that the holder needs to clamp onto stanchions 9 mm thick.

* It's interesting that Everglides is ordering such a large selection of boots. I assume it's a common size that they want around anyways. If it's for your education on boots, that's fine. But though 2 hrs might seem a long time, it'll pass quickly. If you're trying on a variety of boots, it'll take time to lace up, see how they feel, and then unlace. Make sure you spend the most time on boots suited for your level. Then, if there's time left over, you can play with the more advanced models; you might as well take advantage of the opportunity to learn.
Thank you so much! I’ll definitely have a conversation with them about blades, it’s a concern of mine at the moment. The waiting time is a huge bother to me, (20 weeks is definitely pushing it - more than I was ideally willing to wait). Does the blade size depend on my boot size? If I were to get fitted in a 235 or 240, would the required blade size be universal amongst all the potential boot brands and models? That’s very poor wording on my behalf, but it’s hard to phrase lol. I’m keen on the traditional CA, so I want to start asking around online, seeing where still has them in stock.

For a moment, I was considering the Legacy 7, but I value and trust you guys’ opinions. The girl who did my online Everglides appointment says she’s skating in Legacy 7 and loves them, especially compared to her old MK Gold Stars (I think that’s what they were called if I recall correctly).

Yes I’m 15, and I’m pretty certain my feet have stopped growing! I’m a 4 in shoes and a 240 (UK 3 I think) in skates, but they’re considering pushing me down to 235 as I have a lot of room left. I haven’t had my feet grow in the past 3-4 years give or take, so I reckon they’ve probably finished (or almost).

I’m really not sure why they’ve ordered so many boots. They did tell me they have a lot on the shelves right now, as they’ve had a huge Jackson shipment recently. I’m also coming from quite a distance away so I suppose that could be why. No complaints either way! :shrug:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does the blade size depend on my boot size?
The blade size depends on both the model of boot and size of boot. I personally wait until I have the boot in hand to measure it before I order the blade. Blade sizing charts put out by boot manufacturers often have errors, so I don't rely on them.

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
The blade size depends on both the model of boot and size of boot. I personally wait until I have the boot in hand to measure it before I order the blade. Blade sizing charts put out by boot manufacturers often have errors, so I don't rely on them.
I’ll ask when I go down on the 5th! Thanks!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The girl who did my online Everglides appointment says she’s skating in Legacy 7 and loves them, especially compared to her old MK Gold Stars (I think that’s what they were called if I recall correctly).

That's a bit odd. The MK Gold Star is the top of the MK line advanced freestyle blade. Strange that she downgraded to a Legacy 7. But skaters sometimes do that if they previously competed, but no longer do, and want to save some money.

I’m really not sure why they’ve ordered so many boots. They did tell me they have a lot on the shelves right now, as they’ve had a huge Jackson shipment recently. I’m also coming from quite a distance away so I suppose that could be why. No complaints either way!

Oh, OK. So they're receiving a general Jackson shipment, and not special ordering mucho boots just for you. That makes more sense now. They're probably wise to get in a stockpile, because Jackson has had lengthy delays too with new manufacturing runs. Everglides must be quite big. Small shops can't afford to tie up capital on large inventories, especially on high-end stuff.

Vladik

On the Ice
That's a bit odd. The MK Gold Star is the top of the MK line advanced freestyle blade. Strange that she downgraded to a Legacy 7. But skaters sometimes do that if they previously competed, but no longer do, and want to save some money.

Oh, OK. So they're receiving a general Jackson shipment, and not special ordering mucho boots just for you. That makes more sense now. They're probably wise to get in a stockpile, because Jackson has had lengthy delays too with new manufacturing runs. Everglides must be quite big. Small shops can't afford to tie up capital on large inventories, especially on high-end stuff.
Apologies, yes. I don’t remember typing a lot of that out, must’ve been tired. To clarify, I don’t think she’s ordering any Jackson’s in, as they’ve had the big shipment. So the Jacksons I’ll be trying are already in stock (I think), and that’s the Jackson Elite, Debut, and Premiere.

As for Risport, I know the Prime is on the shelves, hence why she wants me to try them I think, I don’t think she would’ve gone out of her way to order those. And I think she’ll be ordering in the Royal Pro and RF3 Pro for me, that is if they don’t have my size in stock.
She did tell me that my size isn’t as common there as it’s quite petite. So she’s definitely ordering in some stuff as I recall her telling me that the stuff she had just placed an order on for me would arrive on the 27th of March. I can’t remember specifics! :biggrin:

I know she competes but I’m not sure about much else. I follow her on Instagram and I know she does Synchro competitions. As for the reason for the switch from the MK Gold Star to the Legacy 7, she told me that the switch happened when they decided to start stocking Legacy 7 at Everglides. They always try out the product before they decide to buy it in. She told me she found she really liked them and has stuck with them ever since.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
(b) Ask your sharpener whether their skate holder can accommodate the blade. Tell them that the holder needs to clamp onto stanchions 9 mm thick.
Forgot to add one more point. In addition to the clamp opening up wide enough to accept a 9 mm stanchion, the skate holder needs enough height adjustment to align the center axis of the blade (mid-way between the top and bottom of the 9 mm thick stanchion) with the center axis of the grinding wheel.

Lucie

Rinkside
Okay.

Firstly, Everglides didn't stock MK Professionals when I last visited (May last year). This may or may not have changed. I'm not in Gosport to ask Lara at the moment but there's no reason why you shouldn't ask when you speak to Everglides.

Secondly, when it comes to blade sizing, you need to measure the actual sole of the boot you're going to mount it on. Blade sizes are all measured by the length of the sole plate, not the length of the runner, so a Coronation Ace size 9" will be on the same size sole plate as an MK Professional, but the actual length of the runner will differ as they are different blades. That's where personal preference comes in. A freestyle blade should always be mounted flush to the front of the sole but it is fine to be mounted flush to the back of the heel or 1/4" shorter. Personally, if I'm on a freestyle blade, I like it to be 1/4" shorter but either is fine. So you should have a couple of size options there.

Thirdly, there is no reason why you can't buy your boots from Everglides and the blade somewhere else, if Everglides don't have your choice of blade in stock in your style and you can find it from another retailer. Just make sure that the other retailer actually has it in stock. Sometimes it looks like it's in stock on the website but has to be ordered in specially, and that's when you find out that it isn't in stock after all and won't be for a while... You can also ask in the UK Ice Skating Group on Facebook if anybody has a pair of Aces in your size. Rod Turner will speak up if he has any and he's totally trustworthy. And Alison Holden at Al's Skate Shop is also very good. She seems to be able to get hold of things when others can't. I have no idea how she does this but it's great. Ask your coach and other good skaters at your rink who they trust to mount blades; there should be somebody in Sheffield who can do this for you. They may charge but that's fair enough.
Al is amazing, if her supplier doesn’t have it she’ll call the manufacturer. I’ve been trying to get a CA/ MK pro myself recently, she has some CAs in stock in some sizes and got me one in the size I need, but no MK Pros at all and apparently the waiting time from the manufacturer is very long. Having called practically all the UK skate shops it seems MK Pro are currently almost impossible to get hold of. A lot of places also can’t get CAs and are pushing Legacy’s because they don’t have anything else

Lucie

Rinkside
Apologies, yes. I don’t remember typing a lot of that out, must’ve been tired. To clarify, I don’t think she’s ordering any Jackson’s in, as they’ve had the big shipment. So the Jacksons I’ll be trying are already in stock (I think), and that’s the Jackson Elite, Debut, and Premiere.

As for Risport, I know the Prime is on the shelves, hence why she wants me to try them I think, I don’t think she would’ve gone out of her way to order those. And I think she’ll be ordering in the Royal Pro and RF3 Pro for me, that is if they don’t have my size in stock.
She did tell me that my size isn’t as common there as it’s quite petite. So she’s definitely ordering in some stuff as I recall her telling me that the stuff she had just placed an order on for me would arrive on the 27th of March. I can’t remember specifics! :biggrin:

I know she competes but I’m not sure about much else. I follow her on Instagram and I know she does Synchro competitions. As for the reason for the switch from the MK Gold Star to the Legacy 7, she told me that the switch happened when they decided to start stocking Legacy 7 at Everglides. They always try out the product before they decide to buy it in. She told me she found she really liked
I’ve been for a fitting at Everglides myself I’m afraid knowing what I do now I’m not impressed. They put me in completely the wrong boot which made my feet go numb then blamed me instead of taking responsibility for their own fitting. They do also like to try and fit you in what they happen to have in stock, and as they keep very little in stock …
It’s good they’re ordering in some boots for you but if I lived closer to Al than Everglides Id go to Al, she’ll fit you in a boot that both suits your feet and your level. Don’t let Everglides put you in an Elite or a Prime they’re far too stiff, they will set you back in progress and may even injure you, listen to IceRabbit!

Last edited:

Vladik

On the Ice
Forgot to add one more point. In addition to the clamp opening up wide enough to accept a 9 mm stanchion, the skate holder needs enough height adjustment to align the center axis of the blade (mid-way between the top and bottom of the 9 mm thick stanchion) with the center axis of the grinding wheel.
I’ve been for a fitting at Everglides myself I’m afraid knowing what I do now I’m not impressed. They put me in completely the wrong boot which made my feet go numb then blamed me instead of taking responsibility for their own fitting. They do also like to try and fit you in what they happen to have in stock, and as they keep very little in stock …
It’s good they’re ordering in some boots for you but if I lived closer to Al than Everglides Id go to Al, she’ll fit you in a boot that both suits your feet and your level. Don’t let Everglides put you in an Elite or a Prime they’re far too stiff, they will set you back in progress and may even injure you, listen to IceRabbit!
That’s oddly specific hahaha. Will ask my skate tech about that, Thank you!! :biggrin:

I’m so much closer to Al!! It’s such a shame I hadn’t heard of there before. I’m already all booked in with Everglides. I’m sorry your experience was bad, I hope I don’t get a repeat of that. However, I’ve had boots ordered in for me, so that’s a positive!

I will definitely not get fitted into a Prime, will be too stiff for me. I’m not sure why it’s an option here really lol. Is the Elite also too stiff? I searched it up and I recall it being a 65??? Maybe I’m mistaken!

Edit: I think I must’ve misclicked, but I’ve accidentally made this reply in reply to two seperate posts, oops! Either way, I’ve covered both in my reply.

Vladik

On the Ice
Al is amazing, if her supplier doesn’t have it she’ll call the manufacturer. I’ve been trying to get a CA/ MK pro myself recently, she has some CAs in stock in some sizes and got me one in the size I need, but no MK Pros at all and apparently the waiting time from the manufacturer is very long. Having called practically all the UK skate shops it seems MK Pro are currently almost impossible to get hold of. A lot of places also can’t get CAs and are pushing Legacy’s because they don’t have anything else
Everywhere seems to be pushing the Legacy’s! :(

I’m really stuck on what to do, considering the waiting times for CA’s.

Friday

Rinkside
Everywhere seems to be pushing the Legacy’s! :(

I’m really stuck on what to do, considering the waiting times for CA’s.
I don't know if you consider it, but when I bought my boots and couldn't wait more than two weeks for my blades due to having a skate camp scheduled, I ordered some CA in size 9 for my 240 Risport RF3 Pro at Als.

Of course the shipping cost + taxes weren't nice for my wallet, but...

I just checked the shop I bought my boots from, and they still have regular CAs (size 8.75/9/9.25) in stock.
I waited 5 days for my CAs to be shipped from Britain to Germany, so it should not be much longer to ship blades from Germany to Britain either.
Just for your information, if you can't get a hold on CAs in Britain!

Oh, and if you live so much nearer to Al, then maybe they could mount your blades?

Vladik

On the Ice
I don't know if you consider it, but when I bought my boots and couldn't wait more than two weeks for my blades due to having a skate camp scheduled, I ordered some CA in size 9 for my 240 Risport RF3 Pro at Als.

Of course the shipping cost + taxes weren't nice for my wallet, but...

I just checked the shop I bought my boots from, and they still have regular CAs (size 8.75/9/9.25) in stock.
I waited 5 days for my CAs to be shipped from Britain to Germany, so it should not be much longer to ship blades from Germany to Britain either.
Just for your information, if you can't get a hold on CAs in Britain!

Oh, and if you live so much nearer to Al, then maybe they could mount your blades?
Yes yes! My plan is, to perhaps try purchase CA blades wherever I can get them. I’m near to Al, but I don’t think my mum would be willing to drive. However, I could always order some online, and have somebody at my rink mount them. I skate at Sheffield and there’s a few trustworthy people I’m aware of!

Lucie

Rinkside
That’s oddly specific hahaha. Will ask my skate tech about that, Thank you!! :biggrin:

I’m so much closer to Al!! It’s such a shame I hadn’t heard of there before. I’m already all booked in with Everglides. I’m sorry your experience was bad, I hope I don’t get a repeat of that. However, I’ve had boots ordered in for me, so that’s a positive!

I will definitely not get fitted into a Prime, will be too stiff for me. I’m not sure why it’s an option here really lol. Is the Elite also too stiff? I searched it up and I recall it being a 65??? Maybe I’m mistaken!

Edit: I think I must’ve misclicked, but I’ve accidentally made this reply in reply to two seperate posts, oops! Either way, I’ve covered both in my reply.
The elite is 75 stiffness rated for doubles and the new supreme tongue Jackson have put in them are super stiff, unless you are a very tall and heavy adult with strong knee bend you probably won’t be able to bend your ankles in them or you’ll get tendinitis

ETA: at bronze you will be doing half jumps I believe, if you are small and lightweight the debut or Electra would be the right stiffness, if you are taller/ heavier maybe an rf3 pro or premiere

Last edited:

Lucie

Rinkside
Yes yes! My plan is, to perhaps try purchase CA blades wherever I can get them. I’m near to Al, but I don’t think my mum would be willing to drive. However, I could always order some online, and have somebody at my rink mount them. I skate at Sheffield and there’s a few trustworthy people I’m aware of!
Al also does a by post mounting and sharpening service, £20 for mounting. I post my blades to her for sharpening and the turnaround is super quick.
Once you have boots and know the sole length you can ask her if she has blades in the right size, she’s very good at responding to email quickly.
Be aware Everglides will push to buy blades from them and have them mount them, they wouldn’t even give me an option of which blade let alone to have a blade from elsewhere

Last edited:

Perihelion

Spectator
If you won't go to Al's for a fitting, at least phone or email them about their CA stock. Wouldn't recommend importing blades yourself from the EU as post Brexit, you'll likely be hit with customs fees.
Al was able to get a narrow width Jackson from Canada for me within a week.
I'm also curious about the comments about your size. It's not that tiny, compared to age and size range of customers buying boots. Unless you need a narrow fitting.